Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
you post like this movie gave you permanent brain damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

You all might want to sit down for this, but it is quite a common occurrence for people to cruelly drop the surname of their parents and spitefully take the name of some other family that they barely know in comparison. They're usually women, so you might want to watch out for that kind of thing if you ever have any daughters, I wouldn't want you your souls to be crushed.

I know this is a Star Wars thread on General Bullshit on SomethingAwful.com and therefore I should just expect it to be a wretched hive of scum and villainy but good lord have I read some pretty galling takes here (and not just these, either) about this whole last name business. If Rey's parents truly were decent people then they'd support her decision. And you can be drat sure they'd already disowned the name Palpatine themselves, anyway.

Edit: Seriously, eat poo poo.

:yikes:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Chomp8645 posted:

Notoriously bad military ideas: dive bombers, armor on tanks???

Hitler wanted certain bombers to be capable of dive bombing, because it was (at the time) the most accurate way to hit a target.

This monster was made to serve as a moderate-angle dive bomber, at the cost of extra weight, which reduced it's two most important characteristics (speed and bombload).

As for armour. . .

Hitler wanted the Maus (heaviest tank ever produced) to go into production, at a time when fuel, and other resources were at a premium.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

The Walrus posted:

you post like this movie gave you permanent brain damage

I love that this post can be directed at drat near everyone posting it (myself included).

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

You all might want to sit down for this, but it is quite a common occurrence for people to cruelly drop the surname of their parents and spitefully take the name of some other family that they barely know in comparison. They're usually women, so you might want to watch out for that kind of thing if you ever have any daughters, I wouldn't want you your souls to be crushed.

I know this is a Star Wars thread on General Bullshit on SomethingAwful.com and therefore I should just expect it to be a wretched hive of scum and villainy but good lord have I read some pretty galling takes here (and not just these, either) about this whole last name business. If Rey's parents truly were decent people then they'd support her decision. And you can be drat sure they'd already disowned the name Palpatine themselves, anyway.

whoa

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

I thought Rey taking a new name made the most sense of the entire movie.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
What's up with youngsters dropping perfectly good names and replacing them with complete gibberish? Ren??!

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Maybe i don't want to be Rey Space Hitler, maybe I wanna be Rey Space Jesus.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
If ray is a hereditary Empress this really is a Disney film hmmm

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Rey Maclunkey

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

There is a case of this happening in real life where a relative of Hitler changed his name and then served in the US military in WW2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Stuart-Houston

Wikipedia posted:

William Patrick Hitler was born in the Toxteth Park district of Liverpool, the son of Alois Hitler, Jr. and Irish-born Bridget Dowling.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Lmao, may the force be with you my friend

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

I've seen this raw strength only once before. It didn't scare me enough then. It does now.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Somebody get this poster a checkmark lol.

Dean of Swing fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 28, 2019

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dean of Swing posted:

Somebody get this poster a checkmark lol.

Always

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I've seen this raw strength only once before. It didn't scare me enough then. It does now.

lol

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ok yeah. I don't know if it was your wording or if I was being obtuse, but your original comment read to me like "dive bombers and armor on tanks are bad military ideas, generally" and I was like what in tarnation!

What in tarnation!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

drat you guys star wars hard in here

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

So Snook was just a clone puppet, right?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

why didn't the resistance just use the eagles to fly to mordor

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Away all Goats posted:

why didn't the resistance just use the eagles to fly to mordor
Because of the antenna thing, stupid

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
I'm still laughing about the guy that thought Star Wars is the best adaptation of the Foundation series.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Son of Rodney posted:

Lmao, may the force be with you my friend

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

my dog died im sad posted:

I'm still laughing about the guy that thought Star Wars is the best adaptation of the Foundation series.
Watch other movies.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Sydin posted:

Lucas is on record as being a terrible director. In the documentary Empire of Dreams the OT actors talk about how the only direction he'd ever give is "Okay try it again, but faster and more intense!" and they used to endlessly needle him over it, which he'd throw big sads over. His original edit of Star Wars was also just him letting what the actors were doing dictate the cuts, and he even fired another editor over that decision lol

whoa you're saying lucas wasn't an overbearing power-hungry piece of poo poo? next you'll be telling me he didn't sexually assault actresses.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
all this time i tought the seven samurai dude were working with rey. ren and rey arent the same person what the gently caress dumb names

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

drat you guys star wars hard in here

uh its not called star peace fucko

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Star Wars is Bad.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Moola posted:

lol, new thread catchphrase

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I am angry. Angry about Star wars

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

I have a little sister who changed her surname to her great-grandmother's, so yeah, checks out.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Y'all watch the new Lost In Space?

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

my dog died im sad posted:

Y'all watch the new Lost In Space?

Does anyone crush alien poon?

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

kilus aof posted:

The Fast and the Furious was a better managed franchise than Star Wars this decade.

I KEEP SAYING THIS!

What I get from this is that Rey named herself Skywalker because she post mortem married Luke or Leia.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

I am angry. Angry about Star wars

not me, heh

im actually laughing, about it

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Well, the Mandalorian did something that the new trilogy couldn't. Make me care about the characters in it. Not just the main, but the secondary ones as well, which makes their accomplishments and setbacks meaningful and interesting.

Spoilers because this is a show that doesn't deserve to get ruined.

They've removed plot armour from the story for secondary characters, which means that anything can happen. When the Ugnaught gets killed, you actually care. That means that Carl Weathers character and Gina Carano's character are not immune to circumstances in the story. While we know that Mando is going to make it, we still get concerned when stuff happens to him because we've been given his backstory, shown him develop, and more importantly got to know him.

Hell, even IG-11 goes through a hero's journey arc,
Simple beginning (starting as a bounty-hunter droid)
Is "killed" but then makes a return due to "supernatural circumstances"
He's changed drastically (to a nurse droid)
He's shown to be heroic, and saves the day.
He sacrifices himself for the child and the other characters.

I actually cared more about that than a million Poes, Finns, and Rey's biting the dust. The new trilogy was so bad that I didn't even give a crap about Luke, Han, and Leia getting offed as it did so little to develop them other than, "hey, remember when?".

The bad guy Moff Gideon seems to be someone who has a higher purpose or reason for attaining the child, and we've seen that he is ruthless, and willing to sacrifice his own men to attain his goals. He might be the only "weakish" character, as he's made a few "bad guy mistakes" so far, but that's something I'm totally willing to overlook.

One of my favourite parts of the episode (other than the IG-11 rampage) was the Scout Trooper's small talk and testing out their weapons.

I am 100% waiting in anticipation for the next season of this show.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
I'm 4 1/2 episodes into The Dark Crystal: Age Of Resistance so far. Extremely legit.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Lol that the Mandalorian has all its plot elements pay off without any mystery box bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Dean of Swing posted:

Lol that the Mandalorian has all its plot elements pay off without any mystery box bullshit.

My expectations have yet to be subverted :(