Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Homeless Friend posted:

don't need an account to buy avs iirc
On the one hand, all it takes is one understanding mod for that to just be a bigoted rear end in a top hat wasting ten bucks. On the other hand, that understanding mod isn't a guarantee, and that's unacceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scoops My Goops
Dec 3, 2004

by Reene

Lowtax posted:

I have been largely absent from these forums for nearly a decade now, because I simply didn't have time to address all the forum drama back then, and people were telling me the forums were better off without me. Now I come back and people want to rip my face off because I wasn't involved with the forums, and poo poo happened that I had no idea about.

Can we start by talking about why FYAD reopened, because we were told almost all the admins and mods wanted it to remain closed but were "overruled" last night you said that wasnt the case and it was agreed upon by all parties to reopen.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
lowtax if you’re taking requests, delete The Firing Range

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It's more like when we complained the admins told us that they had to wait for you and that you were standing in the way of fyad closing or changes happening. So everyone is mad about you being absent because we were told you were both absent but the only one who could make decisions. That's obviously untrue and the admin team put you in a bad position.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

r u ready to WALK posted:

Custom avatars should really have an easy way to reveal who bought them, both for public shaming purposes and to encourage retaliation.

Can the admin team even tell who bought them or do you have to manually piece together the information from web server access logs?

They cant iirc, but they absolutely should.
Avatar and redtext purchasing is loving cowardly (not to mention a useful tool for bad actors)

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Lowtax posted:

I understand you all are mad, but you're getting mad at the guy who hasn't been on the forums and has been dealing with some real heavy personal poo poo.

it's been said a lot but I wanna echo the other posters, thanks for taking the time to engage, especially with what's been going on in your personal life. knowing that smythe quit and with comments jeffrey from yospos made about this week being such bad timing, it sounds like the site's running with a skeleton crew, which is probably a lot of what's made the recent flare up so bad because there's just no leadership available to put out the fires. the decisions today have been good, keep at it.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Scoops My Goops posted:

I think it's important to note that your admin staff put you in this poo poo position, because these problems have been brewing for weeks and their "response" has been to circle wagons, curtail almost all discussion of said problems, make new and exciting definitions for the word "doxxing", and basically treat the community with disdain
I'm not going to put blame on anybody, because that accomplishes nothing, although I do with I could've been told the entire story. I still have a ton of catching up and reading past threads to do.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Lowtax posted:

I have been largely absent from these forums for nearly a decade now, because I simply didn't have time to address all the forum drama back then, and people were telling me the forums were better off without me. Now I come back and people want to rip my face off because I wasn't involved with the forums, and poo poo happened that I had no idea about.

real talk; if i wanted to buy SA LLC from you 100% ownership stakes and get control of the forums super accounts, what would that figure look like? bearing in mind you could;
keep your patreon revenue stream
still exist on the forums in some capacity
not have to deal with this poo poo ever again

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ArfJason posted:

They cant iirc, but they absolutely should.
Avatar and redtext purchasing is loving cowardly (not to mention a useful tool for bad actors)

yeah i've seen multiple mods/admins explain that it's literally impossible to tell who bought the av for someone else

which is why their only general policy is basically "remove abusive avs for free" and it can't be accompanied by "and ban whoever bought them"

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Lowtax posted:

It's super lovely, yeah

A big part of the problem is the bottleneck on the mod queue and an admin team that shrank very rapidly very quickly leaving a handful of people in charge

I'm sure the mod team itself has recommended some action, but if they haven't I think addressing that needs to be a high priority, because changing policies doesn't help anything if the new policies don't get enforced d/t mod team troubles

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Homeless Friend posted:

That is absolutely one of the dumbest things on this website holy poo poo lol

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So basically what you missed on QCS was CascadeBeta and others brought up the gross bigot poo poo in FYAD and QCS got flooded with FYADs harassing her and others and defending anything that was posted on FYAD as okay. This happened in multiple threads on there and when JD was banned FYAD posters made a thread doing the same poo poo demanding he be un-perma'd. This poo poo eventually lead to FYAD being closed, upon where they swarmed QCS just making GBS threads their pants to the point QCS had been closed. I don't think anyone has been punished for it and it lead to a lot of the recent drama about Dickeye and bad D&D Mods because the place to raise concerns outside of bad mod reach was closed because FYAD had a tantrum over the punishment handed out. Which spiraled out of control to here cause problems compounded and tensions run high.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lowtax posted:

I'm not going to put blame on anybody, because that accomplishes nothing, although I do with I could've been told the entire story. I still have a ton of catching up and reading past threads to do.

You should put the blame on someone. The persons who are to blame. Someone is accountable for this. It was allowed to happen and fester. Refusing to examine and actually figure out who did what is more counter productive because it leaves everything unresolved.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Lowtax posted:

Just to save you some time, if you read through any of those qcs threads, your response to cascadebeta will be 'holy poo poo I'm sorry that you went through that on my site, how can I work with you to help make sure no one else gets targeted like that'

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Lowtax posted:

3) I was not coming in like a "shining knight," I was coming into an openly hostile place and attempting to explain my decisions. Claiming I was trying to be a "shining knight" is absolutely insane, because I had read that thread and knew I was getting myself into a place where I was getting blamed for everything.

I mean in response to me saying that I believed that admins were trying to shove this whole thing under the rug because the bare minimum if any action was being taken, you responded with:

Lowtax posted:

You honestly believe this? Two decades of always standing up for and trying to create a safe space for trans people, and now suddenly we don't care about your concerns? Tons of people got banned, the rules were made clear that similar actions, just like in the past, will NOT be tolerated and will result in a ban like we always have. FYAD was moved to a new forum, but the admin team doesn't care about your concerns.

It's a compromise. Neither group of people are 100% happy, that's why it's called a compromise. If you believe the admins don't care about your community, look back and see how we've dealt with things in the past for so long. This has not been a long recurring event or an issue that has been ignored for a long time. It's amazing how one event can entirely erase all the goodwill we've created over nearly two decades.

If the rules are broken again, people will get banned, just like last time. There's no need or valid reason to totally erase an entire forum because of a fairly isolated event.

This is how you started the conversation in the trans issues thread. You absolutely wanted us to come to our senses that your grand compromise was actually really good and not table scraps. The compromise that "the bigot forum will definitely be dealt with, in earnest this time" after decades of it definitely not being dealt with and you yourself not actually being the 20 year strong ally you claim to be.

You demanding you be handled with gloves because you don't know anything, refuse to learn anything and then take action last night that absolutely is the opposite of support is loving ridiculous.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
the lack of accountability is absolutely an issue and rotating iks and mods with none to speak of is worthless

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

smarxist posted:

real talk; if i wanted to buy SA LLC from you 100% ownership stakes and get control of the forums super accounts, what would that figure look like? bearing in mind you could;
keep your patreon revenue stream
still exist on the forums in some capacity
not have to deal with this poo poo ever again

regardless of if you consider this offer or not lowtax, it's probably worth trying to figure out how better to let the site self police and run itself, because you needing to come and reorient yourself and put out the forum fires is becoming, like, a yearly tradition because there's just no real leadership alternative. i don't know if it's as simple as just making more mods/admins, or figuring out how to get people to cycle through the positions faster and have more fluidity with adding people to the site, or what.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Homeless Friend posted:

lmao who ever thought this was a good idea?

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bloom posted:

lmao who ever thought this was a good idea?

I'm going to say radium but think lowtax

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i think this has really gotten badly out of hand and it represents a failure in response on several levels. but i think the problem wasn't in the response itself per se but the fact that interfourms rivalries and mistrust hit critical mass after an indecisive response to an issue people give a very real and serious amount of poo poo about.

its gotten that there's no trust in anyone outside ones own ingroup, including mods and admins, to even act with a basic standard of honesty, to the point where there are nonfalsifiable accusations of hidden nefarious intent that people demand are disproven before bothering to even take an opinion at face value. and users think, not entirely wrongly, that the only way to be even heard or recognized is to start overthrowing tables.

i don't think this is going to be the end of anything.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I have no idea what all this is about but c-spam is cool

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Also while we've got admins here can we get some placeholder avs that aren't insanely offensive

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i think this has really gotten badly out of hand and it represents a failure in response on several levels. but i think the problem wasn't in the response itself per se but the fact that interfourms rivalries and mistrust hit critical mass after an indecisive response to an issue people give a very real and serious amount of poo poo about.

its gotten that there's no trust in anyone outside ones own ingroup, including mods and admins, to even act with a basic standard of honesty, to the point where there are nonfalsifiable accusations of hidden nefarious intent that people demand are disproven before bothering to even take an opinion at face value. and users think, not entirely wrongly, that the only way to be even heard or recognized is to start overthrowing tables.

The reality is that a decisions has to be made going forward about what is and isn't allowed and it has to be very aggressively communicated and enforced for a while until the message is clear. There is literally zero way to keep both sides happy (if you can even call the weird fyad bigot nexus a side) and involved in their current form. I agree it's probably a bit unfair to lump literally all of fyaders in with it, but also 3/4 of their active posters got themselves banned or long-term probated for extremely blatant bigotry in QCS so it's hard to feel very charitable to the unbigoted 1/4 who are apparently just monumentally blind

I posted some pruning videos in the QCS thread because it is an apt comparison and the reality is that you have to discern between the diseased, dying, or damaged wood and the buds that will be fruiting new growth. It really is a one or the other thing. Some of the first steps in the right direction have been taken, but it remains to be seen if there will be follow through.

Herstory Begins Now has issued a correction as of 18:23 on Jan 1, 2020

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Minrad posted:

regardless of if you consider this offer or not lowtax, it's probably worth trying to figure out how better to let the site self police and run itself, because you needing to come and reorient yourself and put out the forum fires is becoming, like, a yearly tradition because there's just no real leadership alternative. i don't know if it's as simple as just making more mods/admins, or figuring out how to get people to cycle through the positions faster and have more fluidity with adding people to the site, or what.

i'm not even joking, if we got a realistic number, i'd totally consider helping to do the back end work of forming a cooperative of people with a hashed out mission statement and guiding document attached to the people who want to do the work to get this all fixed for the long run and then try to find the money in the forums and outside.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Minrad posted:

regardless of if you consider this offer or not lowtax, it's probably worth trying to figure out how better to let the site self police and run itself, because you needing to come and reorient yourself and put out the forum fires is becoming, like, a yearly tradition because there's just no real leadership alternative

Something that would help is transparency and clear info on who can do what. A lot of this anger is from confusion on who can do what with mod powers. There was a lot of confusion on what powers mods actually had and further confusion from the admins making Lowtax come in and solve stuff when they apparently always had the power to do it themselves.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
To be clear, pretty much everyone who is "conversing like normal human beings " is biting their tongue and not saying everything that's on their mind, because they think it's a better strategy and (in some cases) haven't been quite as directly affected. This is not a case of one person going off unreasonably, it's most of us exercising a shitload of exhausting restraint to try and get something done.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Tashilicious posted:

People are mad at how this was handled. Rightfully. You are the head of the website. You are, ultimately, responsible. If you cannot handle a tame browbeating by someone who's spend much much MUCH longer in the bigot and KF crosshairs, maybe you need to re-evaluate
I did handle it; do you realize I would've banned like everybody saying that kinda stuff to me in the past? I let them get their anger out on me without punishing anybody. I banned (I think) only one person in that thread. However, I did not want to continue reading a thread full of personal attacks, because that gets us nowhere. Same reason why I don't read KF, because I'm really not interested in reading continuous personal attacks on me.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Lowtax posted:

uh

blame's going to be put onto someone dude because a bunch of bullshit has happened. and you own the site

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

To be clear, pretty much everyone who is "conversing like normal human beings " is biting their tongue and not saying everything that's on their mind, because they think it's a better strategy and (in some cases) haven't been quite as directly affected. This is not a case of one person going off unreasonably, it's most of us exercising a shitload of exhausting restraint to try and get something done.

Scoops My Goops
Dec 3, 2004

by Reene

Lowtax posted:

However, I did not want to continue reading a thread full of personal attacks, because that gets us nowhere. Same reason why I don't read KF, because I'm really not interested in reading continuous personal attacks on me.

THIS HAS BEEN THE EXPERIENCE ON YOUR FORUM FOR CERTAIN USERS FOR WEEKS

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Andrast posted:

I don't think most mods would be interested in modding forums they don't read

you probably shouldn't be a mod if you don't care about the whole forum

if you just want to give our sixxers and sticky threads we should have iks for that in the enclave forums

but creating modship enclaves is exactly why we have cultural inhomogeneity and stinkholes like the loving gun and cop forums

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VROOM VROOM posted:

uh

blame's going to be put onto someone dude because a bunch of bullshit has happened. and you own the site

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > C-SPAM: Unintelligible Garbage for Insane People > a bunch of bullshit has happened

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

smarxist posted:

i'm not even joking, if we got a realistic number, i'd totally consider helping to do the back end work of forming a cooperative of people with a hashed out mission statement and guiding document attached to the people who want to do the work to get this all fixed for the long run and then try to find the money in the forums and outside.

yeah, like regardless of the current situation I think it's just been an ailing problem of the website for a long rear end time now (like going back years and years) and it's hitting critical mass because the biggest forum on the website, a leftist political one that advocates unironically for revolution, is unhappy with leadership of the website. i don't think there's anything short of a sea change in how the website is handled that doesn't just lead to this cropping up again in a few months, especially as the political situation in the US heats up in an election year.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Also while we've got admins here can we get some placeholder avs that aren't insanely offensive

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scoops My Goops posted:

THIS HAS BEEN THE EXPERIENCE ON YOUR FORUM FOR CERTAIN USERS FOR WEEKS

And several of them have been banned or been forced to pay money for AVs. So they paid for the privilege.

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES
I'm a cis white man and I'm not really sure what kind of support or comfort I can provide. But to any trans posters who are reading this, I love and appreciate you as a human being. The harrassment I've seen some of you suffer here is probably only a fraction of what you go through in real life. You don't deserve any of it. You're good people.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Lowtax posted:

I did handle it; do you realize I would've banned like everybody saying that kinda stuff to me in the past? I let them get their anger out on me without punishing anybody. I banned (I think) only one person in that thread. However, I did not want to continue reading a thread full of personal attacks, because that gets us nowhere. Same reason why I don't read KF, because I'm really not interested in reading continuous personal attacks on me.

Personal attacks like "This isn't a good enough solution" and "Please listen to our feedback" and "The lack of action taken by the admin staff makes us believe that they don't actually care about us".

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Minrad posted:

yeah, like regardless of the current situation I think it's just been an ailing problem of the website for a long rear end time now (like going back years and years) and it's hitting critical mass because the biggest forum on the website, a leftist political one that advocates unironically for revolution, is unhappy with leadership of the website. i don't think there's anything short of a sea change in how the website is handled that doesn't just lead to this cropping up again in a few months, especially as the political situation in the US heats up in an election year.

it's funny to me how blind everyone is to the fact that this is happening here because the world around us is on fire IRL lmao

everyone has to care more, cope more, and look for aide and solidarity more because everyone is so loving broke/depressed/in pain, and that means everything here MATTERS more

the people who want to keep not taking anything seriously are the ones sticking their fingers in their ears thinking the 2020 election is going to fix everything

this is a microcosm of the class war

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

Something that would help is transparency and clear info on who can do what. A lot of this anger is from confusion on who can do what with mod powers. There was a lot of confusion on what powers mods actually had and further confusion from the admins making Lowtax come in and solve stuff when they apparently always had the power to do it themselves.

for sure, there probably needs to be a total rewrite and rethink of the rules. good example would be people asking for a concrete definition of what doxxing is now, and jeff holding a hand up waving it and going "it's up to mod judgement"

but it's all stuff that needs a lot of human hours to handle stupid forums bullshit, and right now the staff running SA is not equipped to handle it because there's no staff left lol

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mandoric posted:

As someone who's seen this go down elsewhere, I think it's a fair and safe assumption that a particular clique felt like now was their chance to spread their wings, and a lot of the general melee is over whether "the people most vocal in FYAD's hottest megathreads in November" counts as "FYAD, as a whole" or not.
FYAD, despite perhaps not being the most populous forum, shares one important characteristic with everywhere other forum: Not every poster in the forum reads every thread.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So basically what you missed on QCS was CascadeBeta and others brought up the gross bigot poo poo in FYAD and QCS got flooded with FYADs harassing her and others and defending anything that was posted on FYAD as okay. This happened in multiple threads on there and when JD was banned FYAD posters made a thread doing the same poo poo demanding he be un-perma'd. This poo poo eventually lead to FYAD being closed, upon where they swarmed QCS just making GBS threads their pants to the point QCS had been closed. I don't think anyone has been punished for it and it lead to a lot of the recent drama about Dickeye and bad D&D Mods because the place to raise concerns outside of bad mod reach was closed because FYAD had a tantrum over the punishment handed out. Which spiraled out of control to here cause problems compounded and tensions run high.
The vast majority of the people identified as "FYAD posters" in that thread weren't. Just because some shithead defends garbage in FYAD (or any other forum) doesn't mean they represent the forum. Like, FYAD would've been way more active if the people identified as FYAD posters actually were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Hopkins FBI posted:

I'm a cis white man and I'm not really sure what kind of support or comfort I can provide. But to any trans posters who are reading this, I love and appreciate you as a human being. The harrassment I've seen some of you suffer here is probably only a fraction of what you go through in real life. You don't deserve any of it. You're good people.