Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://mobile.twitter.com/Brasco_Aad/status/1213198068654456834

Neoconservatism is the best thing that has ever happened to Iran.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/DrAbbasKadhim/s...ingawful.com%2F

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

PawParole posted:

will people acutally listen to this dude or is this all saber rattling.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Relevant Tangent posted:

Yeah, I've spent the time since high school desperately scrabbling from gig to gig and now you're going to give me a gun and expect me not to frag my officer -- Millennials and Gen Z

everyone knows TKs are easy mode for getting kills

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

PawParole posted:

There will be lots of calls but actions will speak louder. What will Hezbollah do is a far more interesting and consequential question.

Also, has sistani said anything? Much more important than some random Sunni Grand Mufti.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

OctaMurk posted:

Lol. The draft isn't coming back unless actual WW3 breaks out and we're fighting Russia or China, and even then, that would be a surprise. The military doesnt want conscription and any politician who approves a draft for fighting another war in the middle east might as well commit suicide.

Uh people are really forgetting who is in power right now and how much they value the sanctity of human life, especially the lives of their children and grandchildren

I mean its likely not going to be called but is the only conceivable way to take over Iran without glassing it

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Ok, I was being too alarmist with that post. The draft being reinstated would be unlikely.

Still, if the US went to war with Iran, the US would have:

- new deployment of soldiers in the KSA and UAE to defend refineries, desalination plants etc from missile and insurgent attacks
- new deployment of ships in the Persian gulf to keep the Strait open
- new deployment of soldiers in Iraq, Lebanon, and Syria to fight against Hezbollah forces, contain ISIS if they happen to make a resurgence, and counteract rebellions against military bases and embassies by the Iraqi population.
- continued military support for the ongoing conflict in Yemen against the Houthis
- continued deployment of soldiers in Afghanistan to contain the Taliban
- continued deployment of ships and soldiers in East Asia to counter Chinese encroachment in the South China Sea
- continued deployment of ships and soldiers to defend South Korea and Japan from NK
- continued military support for NATO in Eastern Europe and North Africa

...and then finally soldiers for some hypothetical invasion of Iran and subsequent occupation. An occupation that would no doubt require more troops on the ground and resources than Iraq or Afghanistan to contain sectarian conflicts from the many different ethnic groups in Iran and an insurgency from the IRG and Hezbollah.

I guess with 1.3 million active personnel and 800k in reserves the US may have the resources and manpower for all that, I'm clearly not an expert on military strategy.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Feldegast42 posted:

Uh people are really forgetting who is in power right now and how much they value the sanctity of human life, especially the lives of their children and grandchildren

I mean its likely not going to be called but is the only conceivable way to take over Iran without glassing it

If you think that were gonna draft people off the occupation of Iran, you're out of your mind. If aliens invaded the entire earth and we started drafting people to fight the aliens, I would be more surprised by the draft happening than by the aliens invading.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Why on earth would the US invade Iran??? The overblown conjecture on this thread is quite hysterical.

It's far easier for the US to just bomb Iran given Iran will pretty much do the same to US forces and interests either directly or through proxies.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Right, so whats the exit strategy? You can't keep ^ that up for ~20 years.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Saint Celestine posted:

What exactly is the US trying to exit from? And yes they can keep it up for 20 years. Lots of money to be made by US arms industry, and the disruption to oil will affect China way worse than America.

The big difference between this and Iraq is that for all his faults, George W, was convinced,at least at the start, in his twisted evangelical mind,that he was doing something good for Iraq and the world, not only American oil interests. Trump has no desire to do any good to anyone, he only cares about himself. So the US will not invade Iran. Anything Iran does will be met with further escalation by the US, civilians be damned. It will effectively be a global scale of the nazi occupation executing 100 people for every German soldier killed by the resistance.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Saint Celestine posted:

LOL exit strategy? We don't even go into wars knowing what victory would look like.

Bombing weddings and poo poo is basically what we do.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Saint Celestine posted:

I suspect having all US bases overrun by militias simultaneously should do it.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Unimpressed posted:

Why on earth would the US invade Iran??? The overblown conjecture on this thread is quite hysterical.

It's far easier for the US to just bomb Iran given Iran will pretty much do the same to US forces and interests either directly or through proxies.

If (big if) we actually intend to destroy their nuclear facilities, many of them are too far underground to be destroyed from the air. There is no way we go and occupy the entire country, but we would need to send special operations forces to destroy those facilities, as well as enough conventional soldiers to protect them from Iranian counterattacks while they do that. That starts adding up to a lot of forces involved quickly.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

I hate all the things you're posting, but please keep posting them. :tipshat:

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Unimpressed posted:

And the KSA and UAE would support year after year of constant bombing on their soil and sabotage of trade in the gulf? There has to be an end goal.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Unimpressed posted:

There will be lots of calls but actions will speak louder. What will Hezbollah do is a far more interesting and consequential question.

Also, has sistani said anything? Much more important than some random Sunni Grand Mufti.
https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/01/03/world/middleeast/03reuters-iraq-security-blast-sistani.html
Sistani's statement via the NYT:

quote:

"The vicious attack on Baghdad international airport last night is an insolent breach of Iraqi sovereignty and international agreements. It led to the killing of several commanders who defeated Islamic State terrorists," Sistani's office said in a statement.

"These events and more indicate the country is heading towards very difficult times. We call on all concerned parties to behave with self restraints and act wisely," he said.
Reporting By Ahmed Aboulenein, writing By Maha El Dahan)

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Deteriorata posted:

I suspect having all US bases overrun by militias simultaneously should do it.

Why on earth would that happen? The best thing that could happen to the US is open warfare of that sort. The US has an incredible ability to bring highly concentrated lethal force on massed combatants. It faces difficulty when it can't bring its force to bear, because the enemy is hidden, or surrounded by civilians (obviously less of a consideration under Trump). Ask yourself, has any US base been overrun by militia or other armed forces since Vietnam?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/OKnox/status/1213219771178770432

they literally thought this was no big deal.

luv two start a war on accident

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I for one, if I was some us infantry jackoff, would be excited to go head to head with the guys who have literally been fighting for two (and in some cases up to four decades) and whos most recent accomplishment was clearing entire cities of dug-in ISIS holdouts in literal house to house fighting. I'm sure that years of sitting in bases playing xbox and drawing penises on every surface will have prepared me well

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

https://twitter.com/OKnox/status/1213219771178770432

they literally thought this was no big deal.

luv two start a war on accident

we really surprised. this was a impulsive move by shithead because he thought he would get back pats and none of these loving chicken hawks know poo poo about the things they want dead. so here were are.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

And the KSA and UAE would support year after year of constant bombing on their soil and sabotage of trade in the gulf? There has to be an end goal.

What choice will they have? I guess they could try to make their own peace with Iran if they object.

The point is that the US is more able to cause wanton destruction on Iran than vice versa. I'm not supporting such destruction, I'm sure nothing good will come from it, but the US will "win" a war of tit for tat attacks, especially since it doesn't have as many interests in the middle east as it used to and no longer depends on Saudi oil.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Feldegast42 posted:

Congress is the only way Trump gets a draft and nobody in Congress is dumb enough to support Trump's Draft.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Unimpressed posted:

What choice will they have? I guess they could try to make their own peace with Iran if they object.

The point is that the US is more able to cause wanton destruction on Iran than vice versa. I'm not supporting such destruction, I'm sure nothing good will come from it, but the US will "win" a war of tit for tat attacks, especially since it doesn't have as many interests in the middle east as it used to and no longer depends on Saudi oil.

yes. we no longer depend on Saudi oil.

remind me, what did we do out of absolute terror when someone dropped a Molotov cocktail on a Saudi fuel tank over the summer

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Thank you!

Interesting response. Sistani is no supporter of Iran. Note he avoids all the martyr superlatives and calls for calm and de escalation. The voice of a leader confident in his position compared to the Grand Mufti who no one listens to.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

we really surprised. this was a impulsive move by shithead because he thought he would get back pats and none of these loving chicken hawks know poo poo about the things they want dead. so here were are.

Honestly I wondered what his call with Putin was about last week. Now we know? :shrug:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Idk you can be unsurprised that they did something stupid but still surprised that they managed to find something so catastrophically stupid to do.

Also it's sending a pretty weird message to Iran that they're already publicly slapping eachother on the backs about how Iran will do nothing. It's like a guy with a punchable face telling you that he's going to get into mma

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Unimpressed posted:

from where, precisely, will we be staging the launches of this wanton destruction?

if you haven't noticed we've pretty much pissed literally every single ally we had in the region

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
We could probably talk the taliban into letting us use Afghanistan, but it definitely wouldn't be cheap.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

A big flaming stink posted:

from where, precisely, will we be staging the launches of this wanton destruction?

if you haven't noticed we've pretty much pissed literally every single ally we had in the region

Are you familiar with missile technology, aircraft carriers and Israel?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/BaxtiyarGoran/status/1213231451132616705
this has happend apparently.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Unimpressed posted:

Why on earth would that happen? The best thing that could happen to the US is open warfare of that sort. The US has an incredible ability to bring highly concentrated lethal force on massed combatants. It faces difficulty when it can't bring its force to bear, because the enemy is hidden, or surrounded by civilians (obviously less of a consideration under Trump). Ask yourself, has any US base been overrun by militia or other armed forces since Vietnam?

Marines had a base overrun in Afghanistan and lost some aircraft a few years back.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Unimpressed posted:

Are you familiar with missile technology, aircraft carriers and Israel?

the first one is why we will not be using the second

and also why we will not be using the third

quick math problem for you, unimpressed. what's the cost of an anti-missile interceptor vs. the cost of a Scud.

and how many scuds does it take to get to the rich, creamy, explosive center of an airbase.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I for one, if I was some us infantry jackoff, would be excited to go head to head with the guys who have literally been fighting for two (and in some cases up to four decades) and whos most recent accomplishment was clearing entire cities of dug-in ISIS holdouts in literal house to house fighting. I'm sure that years of sitting in bases playing xbox and drawing penises on every surface will have prepared me well
And send out waves of child soldiers to clear landmines and barbed wire with their bodies.

Pointless tit-for-tat attacks between the US and their allies and Iran is better than invasion. But in the end it's just all an unnecessary farce and we already had a solution that was working with the nuclear agreement :shrug:. American imperialism sucks.

I guess we'll see how things develop in the coming year.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

karthun posted:

Marines had a base overrun in Afghanistan and lost some aircraft a few years back.

Huh? Google brought up an attack on Camp bastion where two marines were killed, had several aircraft destroyed and captured or killed the entire attacking force. That's not what overrun means.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

They are the ones who want this war.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Guys I looked up once just how many missiles Iran (to say nothing of Iran-aligned forces) has and uh it's a lot. Turns out that when you are one of the main developers of missiles and missile tech on the planet you build tens upon tens of thousands of the things

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

was this before or after Trump sent a letter via the Swiss embassy in Tehran?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dreylad posted:

was this before or after Trump sent a letter via the Swiss embassy in Tehran?

https://twitter.com/BaxtiyarGoran/status/1213233197980495872

https://twitter.com/BaxtiyarGoran/status/1213233974115536898

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

OctaMurk posted:

They are the ones who want this war.

That's not really clear. They want us to limit Iran's influence, but they also want stability, or at least that's what they say in public.