Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

GD_American posted:

There's no need to send an unspoken, public message when the entire league essentially runs on spoken, private communication. There's zero chance that Miami hasn't already talked to Tua's people about their plans. (Whether they were honest about them, of course.....)

Marvin Lewis stands in front of his dressing room mirror at the combine, trying to remember if he puts the stud in his left ear to indicate willingness to draft a player, or the right. He's definitely sure the blue plaid pocket square indicates he's looking for a tight end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Chichevache posted:

Marvin Lewis stands in front of his dressing room mirror at the combine, trying to remember if he puts the stud in his left ear to indicate willingness to draft a player, or the right. He's definitely sure the blue plaid pocket square indicates he's looking for a tight end.

Yeah, if the entire free agent market runs on contracts negotiated and finalized days before the two sides are even supposed to talk to each other, I have a hard time believing franchises have to rely on this semaphore-level poo poo to talk with draft prospects.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
The Washington Redskins just liked a picture of Burrows in a speedo on his Insta from 2015. You know they thirsty.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Surprising no one, Belichick leans heavily on PUA techniques for his drafting strategy. "Yeah, Lamar, you've got a pretty sexy arm

for a runningback."

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Luke Kuechly setting up his first DRAFTR profile:
•Hard hitter
•Cerebral
•Gym Rat
•Uncut
•Looking for long term commitment
•Children optional

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Cool

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

GD_American posted:

There's no need to send an unspoken, public message when the entire league essentially runs on spoken, private communication. There's zero chance that Miami hasn't already talked to Tua's people about their plans. (Whether they were honest about them, of course.....)

The Chiefs got caught tampering with Jeremy Maclin a couple of years back and lost a 3rd, 6th, and the coach and GM were personally fined. I'd tend to suspect that getting caught doing so with a college prospect would both have you more likely to be caught and be punished more severely. You're dealing with a 21 year old and their family and not an agent, and you're loving around with the relationship between the NFL, NCAA, and the marquee college program.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Catfish Noodlin posted:

The Chiefs got caught tampering with Jeremy Maclin a couple of years back and lost a 3rd, 6th, and the coach and GM were personally fined. I'd tend to suspect that getting caught doing so with a college prospect would both have you more likely to be caught and be punished more severely. You're dealing with a 21 year old and their family and not an agent, and you're loving around with the relationship between the NFL, NCAA, and the marquee college program.

They didn't get punished for tampering.

They got punished for doing it badly.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Nevermind. Feels like were talking in circles. Other dolphins fans who want info on it just PM me.

Catfish Noodlin posted:

The agent buddy i was with on New Years was at the Bowl for his firms client said everyone has described the Tua sweepstakes as a recruitment 2.0. You’ve gotta win over his mom.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Doltos seriously help me understand Mekhi Becton here cause other than being an absolute unit I don't get it.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

GD_American posted:

They didn't get punished for tampering.

They got punished for doing it badly.

How’d you react to the 2018 offseason NFLPA rule regarding text communication?

It’s impossible to completely stop it but they’ve really really cracked down lately in tampering both by agents wrt draft and free agency

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Swift and Taylor declared, along with Dobbins

Someone rank the RBs tia

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Doltos seriously help me understand Mekhi Becton here cause other than being an absolute unit I don't get it.

He's unbelievable in the run game in college but people are questioning how well that translates to the pros because he's pretty much an awful OT. It's not without effort either and he looks fine in college, even in pass protection. It's just that he's too big for his feet. He doesn't really get took that badly yet by shimmies and dips just because the competition isn't quite NFL quality but you can clearly see him off balance in a lot of plays. He also plays way too tall which isn't exactly that forgivable considering how many other tall OTs there are out there. That combined with the footwork makes me feel like he's never really been coached. I remember him in rivals recruiting videos being the same size practically as he is now. Makes me feel like coaches just told him to go out there and destroy people.

He isn't bad though. Louisville hid him by doing a lot of counters and rollouts in the passing game but he still made those blocks when they did it. He's also pretty smart. You can see him picking up stunts and traps while maintaining decent pocket protection. It's just that he'll get blown by a lot and resort to shoving when it happens. He's got long arms and active hands with the strength behind it. I know the classic comparison is Bryant McKinnie but it's apt since McKinnie was violent as hell and didn't just get by on his size. His run blocking is also just superb since he's able to move his bulk forward pretty fast and has the willingness to throw his body into people. He bites a bit on his blocking assignments though in the run game and misses pickups in the lane, but that's coachable. Really his success is going to come down to if he can learn to slide better and get a better first step. Otherwise he'll be banished to jumbo packages.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

So smart prototype mauler with little use in pass pro that'll be dependent on coaching.

It's been bizarre to me seeing him get 1st and early 2nd projections.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Swift and Taylor declared, along with Dobbins

Someone rank the RBs tia

Right now it's Swift - Dobbins - Hubbard - Taylor - Etienne - Harris - Moss - Akers with a bunch of them slated to be in the top 50. It's a weird draft for RBs where none of them particularly stand out as elite talents but they all put up elite production. Dobbins, Swift, and Taylor are all fire hydrant HBs that will get you every extra yard and bruise the hell out of HBs. I don't really like Etienne but he's a gamer and finds ways to stand out a lot. Harris seems like a worse version of Derrick Henry and Hubbard seems like a worse version of Joe Mixon. Zack Moss is my favorite prospect because he runs like he poo poo his pants but also has really nice balance and just pinballs off of people.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Amy Pole Her posted:

How’d you react to the 2018 offseason NFLPA rule regarding text communication?

It’s impossible to completely stop it but they’ve really really cracked down lately in tampering both by agents wrt draft and free agency

The NFL crackdown one?

I mean, they'll catch the dumb ones. It had gotten farcical, so the NFL had to come down on it somewhat.

Again, with the stakes resting on these decisions, it's silly to assume anyone is more scared of the NFL than of losing an opportunity.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Doltos posted:

Right now it's Swift - Dobbins - Hubbard - Taylor - Etienne - Harris - Moss - Akers with a bunch of them slated to be in the top 50. It's a weird draft for RBs where none of them particularly stand out as elite talents but they all put up elite production. Dobbins, Swift, and Taylor are all fire hydrant HBs that will get you every extra yard and bruise the hell out of HBs. I don't really like Etienne but he's a gamer and finds ways to stand out a lot. Harris seems like a worse version of Derrick Henry and Hubbard seems like a worse version of Joe Mixon. Zack Moss is my favorite prospect because he runs like he poo poo his pants but also has really nice balance and just pinballs off of people.

Yeah, some mixture of the top 4 are all tier one then the next 4 are tier two. It kind of depends on what you want.

Swift is arguably the most complete but also the only one with injury concerns. He’s got more than enough power to break arm and a lot of wrap tackles and gets to speed fast. Honestly, he was the Georgia offense this year and it would’ve been interesting to see what he could’ve done with any semblance of a passing threat. Not the best blocker of the group, but he just makes his first cut so well and keeps momentum it’s hard to see him not as the top guy.

Dobbins is a pretty incredibly bowling ball who frequently destroyed LBs on tape with his dead leg move and first cut. If a guy kept hold, he still would fall for 3 yards. Questionable hands in the pass game but one of the best blocking RBs in recent memory. Not quite the freaky top end speed to constantly hit homers at the next level since he did get caught from behind at times.

Hubbard is just electric and has absurd vision and elusiveness. He doesn’t run over guys but getting close to him in space seems like a real problem. I saw him with decent enough hands out of the backfield but the upside if he can be developed further on that front is potentially a McCaffrey type back who can play slot receiver on passing downs or an extremely rich man’s Ty Montgomery. Not a great blocker but he’s also smaller than prototype so I don’t know how well he’ll physically handle things.

Taylor has like a billion carries and has done everything from one cut fools into the ground and take off or carry five guys forward. He really only started catching the ball this year and still seems tentative at times in that phase of the game. Not a great blocker and was frequently off the field for other backs in those situations. Concerns about his mileage and somewhat about his vision since he seems to have the type of patience Wisconsin running backs usually have which can be good in a zone scheme but sometimes leads to TFLs when a defense is shooting gaps.

Etienne is off because he’s like an ideal receiving and 3rd down back but he gets away with a lot of bad calls on running direction just by being faster than guys on the schedule. He’s going to get stopped dancing a lot more but will have some use.

Moss runs like he’s made of hammers and can do everything but isn’t a breakaway fast guy, although he blocks and catches well. Low ceiling high floor.

Akers was criminally misused and has the potential to be a tier one back off of athleticism but is still new to the position. Terrible blocker and still hesitates some since he played qb in high school. Didn’t do enough in the pass game to impress.

Harris I want to love from the standpoint of him having every physics tool he needs and being a violent runner with breakaway speed who could contribute in the screen game but Sark criminally underused him rotating in inferior backs and not letting him contribute more in the pass game. He does misread running lanes sometimes, particularly in overloaded sets, but he’s the other guy who could easily outdo guys in the top tier.

Good year to need one from a depth standpoint, but there’s no one at a Zeke level of sure thing this year by any means.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Chichevache posted:

Surprising no one, Belichick leans heavily on PUA techniques for his drafting strategy. "Yeah, Lamar, you've got a pretty sexy arm

for a runningback."

haha

Doltos posted:

glad we're talking about running backs, my absolute favorite position to evaluate. You'll see more differences among individual running backs, that are more obviously apparent right away, than any other position imo.

I like Dobbins, he reminds quite a bit of Josh Jacobs but with more weight up high and perhaps a bit more speed. Good size, not a large back but seems capable of being a workhorse. Most of all, he breaks tackles well and you can't really be a top end running back without breaking tackles frequently. I'm thinking of doing a 2019 draft retrospective where I go back and take a look at nearly the entire draft and see how the players performed, with a special focus on running backs, who are totally capable of being huge contributors to their team from day one after the draft.

Since most of the NFL is slowly moving towards keeping a stable of backs, any of these guys will be likely contributors. Once I've been able to do some research I'll try and make an RB effortpost, and maybe a DB one too as a position that a lot of people don't talk about all that much

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

GD_American posted:

The NFL crackdown one?

I mean, they'll catch the dumb ones. It had gotten farcical, so the NFL had to come down on it somewhat.

Again, with the stakes resting on these decisions, it's silly to assume anyone is more scared of the NFL than of losing an opportunity.

Well to be fair I’m more repeating what i was told by a pair of agents with nfl clients than anything.

Agents are much more on the up and up with tampering now that they read their texts but you can get away with anything tbh. I agree it’s absolutely help stopping the dumb/lazy agents, which is good.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/1213900738922831872

I think he’s leaving.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I almost want to call in sick and stay in T-town another day to troll people. Literally everyone here thinks he’s staying

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

I think it's pretty much guaranteed. Alabama just landed another insane QB recruit and Mac Jones looked pretty great to finish out the season.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Tua going pro.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

hell yeah

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Ehud posted:

hell yeah

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Same but Panthers.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm looking forward to someone trading ahead of the Dolphins to draft him, forcing them to settle for Justin Herbert.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
If only Miami bad ways to convince other teams, say the team at #3, to give us their pick. Maybe even using other less valuable draft picks in return!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Rams should trade up for Tua

Play
Apr 25, 2006

DariusLikewise posted:

Rams should trade up for Tua

can you even imagine what they'd have to give up over how little they already have, lol. It would be the first draft in history where a team only makes one pick

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Play posted:

can you even imagine what they'd have to give up over how little they already have, lol. It would be the first draft in history where a team only makes one pick

First round picks in 2022/2023/2024 should get it done

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

The real comedy would be the Dolphins, Bears themselves but for a legit prospect.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

DariusLikewise posted:

First round picks in 2022/2023/2024 should get it done

lol. Yeah they've found some good value in the later rounds but you gotta wonder how long that can last when they are spending their high picks like a gambler on crack. I do think they should start thinking about life after Goff, although maybe there isn't cause to do anything drastic anytime soon. Next year will be a good barometer and he's just into a huge contract anyways.

What we saw this season is that Goff really is incredibly dependent on his team playing well, all quarterbacks are but him especially so

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The real comedy would be the Dolphins, Bears themselves but for a legit prospect.

Wrong, it would be the Bengals drafting him.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Play posted:

lol. Yeah they've found some good value in the later rounds but you gotta wonder how long that can last when they are spending their high picks like a gambler on crack. I do think they should start thinking about life after Goff, although maybe there isn't cause to do anything drastic anytime soon. Next year will be a good barometer and he's just into a huge contract anyways.

What we saw this season is that Goff really is incredibly dependent on his team playing well, all quarterbacks are but him especially so

The Rams had some major O-line issues which is really bad because Goff turns into jello the second he feels pressure.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Play posted:

How quickly we forget the Ricky Williams draft

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
A team will trade ahead of the Dolphins to draft him and then a bunch of compromising news will drop about him, iunno, teasing shelter dogs by putting a leash and collar on them and asking if they want to come home with him only to pretend to discover some flaw and claim no one will ever adopt them and leave immediately.

Then the team that traded up will draft Herbert and Miami will take Tua.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Miami is playing the long game of tanking to get the Lawrence fella

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I would like Tua in Carolina thank you and god bless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I mentioned this in the AFCE thread, but the Dolphins might be in pretty good position so long that Washington picks Chase Young.

https://twitter.com/ckparrot/status/1214280736569790468

It's not going to mean a discount or anything, but it'd probably mean they're not going to bullshit them about the price or what other teams are offering. Quinn/Patricia's position is tenuous enough that Miami's ability to pay entirely in 2020 picks would likely be enticing, and the fact that they're running the same defense probably makes it a bit easier to grease in either direction.