Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

In the first game Isaac is the silent protagonist and Felix does have lines. In the second game Felix is now the main character and thus is silent and when you encounter Issac later he's insanely chatty. Though Felix does start talking again during the ending.

Edit: drat outside of the golden sun games Camelot has done nothing but sports games for twenty years with only one of them being for someone other than nintendo (but still the wii)

Ohtsam fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jan 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ohtsam posted:

In the first game Isaac is the silent protagonist and Felix does have lines. In the second game Felix is now the main character and thus is silent and when you encounter Issac later he's insanely chatty. Though Felix does start talking again during the ending.

Edit: drat outside of the golden sun games Camelot has done nothing but sports games for twenty years with only one of them being for someone other than nintendo (but still the wii)

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

How story-intensive are most of the non-Persona SMT games? I really feel like half the reason I've never jumped into them, particularly the Digital Devil Saga games, is because I've always had this vague impression that they're primarily dungeon crawlers with not a lot of focus on the story content, which is what I really loved about the Persona games. But I also feel like I am wrong. Tell me I am wrong please, RPG thread.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tosk posted:

How story-intensive are most of the non-Persona SMT games? I really feel like half the reason I've never jumped into them, particularly the Digital Devil Saga games, is because I've always had this vague impression that they're primarily dungeon crawlers with not a lot of focus on the story content, which is what I really loved about the Persona games. But I also feel like I am wrong. Tell me I am wrong please, RPG thread.

Digital Devil Saga's probably the most story-heavy of the non-Persona SMT games from around the PS2/Nintendo DS era. A good chunk of the real plot is in DDS2, but it's well worth a play. And no you can't just skip to DDS2; They're two halves of a continuous story.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tosk posted:

Digital Devil Saga is as story intensive as any given jrpg. Same with devil survivor. The mainline smt games are a bit lighter on story and you go longer between major story events, but they still have a fair amount of it, especially smt iv and its sequel.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Digital Devil Saga is good as hell and has a plot and characters.

I would sacrifice the entire sin cursed Persona line for even just a DDS remaster

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The only real difference between dds and any given jrpg is the world, you spend most of both games with one town as a hub, and unlike most jrpgs with that premise there isnt a lot of texture and detail given to that. Theres a few minigames and sidequests but it does feel pretty barren. But the game still has plenty of plot and focus on its writing elsewhere, so its not a big deal.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

WaltherFeng posted:

It's still a pretty effective narrative trick, a blank slate protag suddenly speaks their mind. Are there any other games that do this?

Saints Row

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

WaltherFeng posted:

It's still a pretty effective narrative trick, a blank slate protag suddenly speaks their mind. Are there any other games that do this?
the best use of this is jak 2. in the first game jak was completely silent, he starts talking in the second game, but the game actually acts like he's been mute up to that point. Characters acknowledge that he's started talking. There's even a scene where a character from the first game hears him speaking through a door and doesn't recognize him until she actually sees him, because she's never heard his voice before.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Endorph posted:

the best use of this is jak 2. in the first game jak was completely silent, he starts talking in the second game, but the game actually acts like he's been mute up to that point. Characters acknowledge that he's started talking. There's even a scene where a character from the first game hears him speaking through a door and doesn't recognize him until she actually sees him, because she's never heard his voice before.

I like that his first words were a vow of murder, right after Daxter begged him to say "something, anything".

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Golden Sun The Lost Age

if i remember right felix actually speaks at the beginning of the game to jenna but once he becomes the viewpoint character stops until the end

golden sun has some bizzare narrative choices i'll tell ya what

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

Saints Row

SR1 is really hard to go back to, in basically every way, but Johnny Gat's reaction to the player speaking for the first time is still some drat fine physical comedy.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tosk posted:

So the first game is entirely dungeon crawling with no characters worth caring about whatsoever. It really has no reason to exist and everything people praise about DDS is in the sequel.

Devil Survivor is what you want. There aren't even dungeons, at least not in the standard sense. They are both very good games with heavy emphasis on story and characters. If you are new to tactical roleplaying games like me, they are very simple and straightforward. The tactical part is just maneuvering around to get into a standard SMT battle.

The plot is pretty strong and emphasized in Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse. IV as well but to a lesser extent I'd say.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 5, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

if i remember right felix actually speaks at the beginning of the game to jenna but once he becomes the viewpoint character stops until the end

golden sun has some bizzare narrative choices i'll tell ya what

It has a lot of bizzare choices in general.

Hell yeah permanently missable upgrade system!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Gonna need to sell game guides

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

WaltherFeng posted:

At the end of BoFIV Ryu speaks and it's kinda funny because everyone is shocked but it's not like he was mute in the first place (He doesn't have any written dialogue but he clearly speaks and gestures during conversations)

both Persona 2s do that, with Tatsuya and Maya swapping roles as silent protag and the other speaking (also i think with the cameos/flashbacks of the p1 protag in ep??)

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Booky posted:

both Persona 2s do that, with Tatsuya and Maya swapping roles as silent protag and the other speaking (also i think with the cameos/flashbacks of the p1 protag in ep??)

I really like how P2 does that actually, they don't have dialogue lines but instead there is a text description of what they are saying. So you still know what they say just not exactly how.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Barudak posted:

It has a lot of bizzare choices in general.

Hell yeah permanently missable upgrade system!

That wasn't until the third game, the first two were actually really good about you getting djinn or summons you missed

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Battle Chasers

Ok two things I like.
1) The plot of the game kicks off when pirates shoot down your ship causing you to crash land. The games one and only super boss is the captain of those pirates and they have no involvement in the story so its a kind of delightful sidequest presented as your squad taking time out of their day saving the land to merk this guy.
2) NG+ is hard mode but you keep your meta progressions from your previous playthrough. The downside is well if you didnt grind out the metaprogressions the levels until you start getting new gear (aka the start) are extra hard and if you grind them out in your first game you have even less to do in NG+ and also NG+ deletes your NG save so if you say didnt do the optional superboss yet congrats on having to now do a harder version

That wasn't until the third game, the first two were actually really good about you getting djinn or summons you missed

Huh, I remember getting cut off from stuff in the game but it looks like that was all temporary.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
speaking of strange narrative choices, I remember when I played Baten Kaitos 1 and someone told me the fairy's voice was distorted (or maybe just bad it's been forever) cause it's supposed to simulate being inside your head or whatever

Was that true or just more of the usual voice acting quality of that era

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I like Rogue Galaxy, but I fully admit I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to other people.

What's wrong with Rogue Galaxy? I remember reading a write-up about it, but I forgot what the big issue with it was.

EDIT - From the HG101 write-up:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/rogue-galaxy/ posted:

Alas, as charming as the characters in Rogue Galaxy are, even they can’t drive the story along. Things start out interestingly enough, but the game’s story loses steam quickly and never really gains it back. Each situation gets more convoluted and downright silly than the last, and a lot of the story arcs seem to end prematurely and vaguely, with lots of questions left unanswered and loose ends to remain untied. It’s pretty tragic when you consider that the writers had everything they needed to make a fascinating story. They had a great cast of characters, a wonderful setting, and very good cinematics. Unfortunately, all that means next to nothing when you’re telling a story that’s comprised mostly of elements recycled from other JRPGs.

Was that the only issue?

Rascyc posted:

speaking of strange narrative choices, I remember when I played Baten Kaitos 1 and someone told me the fairy's voice was distorted (or maybe just bad it's been forever) cause it's supposed to simulate being inside your head or whatever

I never played Baten Kaitos, but I do remember reading about something along those lines.

EDIT - Ah, from the LP Archive:

https://lparchive.org/Baten-Kaitos-Eternal-Wings-and-the-Lost-Ocean/ posted:

There is one other thing I want to discuss before we continue. You may have heard about Baten Kaitos' voice acting. It's...poor. Well, maybe not as bad as rumor would have it - I personally find the main characters decent enough - but some of the VAs are spectacularly awful. From what I understand, all of the voice work was actually done in Japan, so the VAs are Japanese people who happen to know English. Furthermore, the character's voices have a horrible tinny quality to them. This may actually deliberate on the creator's part. Apparently they wanted to simulate the fact that you, the Guardian Spirit, are from another world so you can't really hear the characters properly or some bullshit like that (though that may be an excuse and it's really just bad quality. Who knows?). Regardless, I must say that you just haven't experienced Baten Kaitos: EW&tLO until you hear how horrible some of the voice work is.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 6, 2020

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Rascyc posted:

I heard it was more about simulating distance. "We" are a canon viewer of the game and its events We're seeing it from "our" world or something and that's supposedly the justification for why everyone sounds like they have a fishbowl on their head.

edit:
beaten.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I've heard that the further you raise your compatibility values with the protagonist the lesser the tin can effect gets. Was that just playground rumours?

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
I'm looking for something like the NES and SNES Uncharted Waters/New Horizons. Something with the same emphasis on exploration and trade without losing the RPG-ness or getting too complex. Can be for any system, though I'll need it in English.

Suggestions?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

psychopomp posted:

I'm looking for something like the NES and SNES Uncharted Waters/New Horizons. Something with the same emphasis on exploration and trade without losing the RPG-ness or getting too complex. Can be for any system, though I'll need it in English.

Suggestions?

Maybe Niji no Silkroad? There's a translation out there.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Max Wilco posted:

What's wrong with Rogue Galaxy? I remember reading a write-up about it, but I forgot what the big issue with it was.

EDIT - From the HG101 write-up:

Was that the only issue?

The gameplay is also very bad. Simple, tedious and grindy. The dungeon level design is also terrible.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The gameplay is also very bad. Simple, tedious and grindy. The dungeon level design is also terrible.

I wouldn't say that; The basic combat loop's fun enough for mindless slashy fun, and the only dungeons that're outright terrible are Juraika (simply because it just. keeps. going.) and the Gladius Towers.

There's like two permanently-missable Djinn of each element in Golden Sun and The Lost Age, iirc.

Which will really gently caress you over come endgame in The Last Age; No Charon or Iris summons for you!

RareAcumen posted:

I'm pretty sure you can go back to the mainland in Dark Dawn once you get the ship, it's just harder to get into some towns though because of the shadows everywhere.

No, I distinctly remember there's an entire region that's just locked off after it's done.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 6, 2020

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm pretty sure you can go back to the mainland in Dark Dawn once you get the ship, it's just harder to get into some towns though because of the shadows everywhere.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Rogue Galaxy also has a weird obsession with duel boss fights when the battle system is clearly not designed for it. So your only hope of beating them is to spam a character's long-range attacks, and if you didn't buy the character long-range skills then you're hosed. And the item creation factory system i remember being horrid.

Characters were alright though. I remember really liking the peppy archaeologist. It's got some really bad ones though too like the mad scientist and the idol.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

You kidding? The factory was a super fun minigame.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
i think it's the dog dude who has a one on one fight with some sorta space elf and it's just the loving worst.

the actual gameplay is honestly fine though. yeah it gets skill spammy and the balance is a disaster, but it's fun enough. few too many random encounters in general but that's just a product of the era. i dunno, i like Rogue Galaxy quite a bit partially because it's such an ambitious failure. my biggest issue is the game is long as hell if you decide to engage with the side content

e: it also won me over with sort of having a Skies of Arcadia vibe, at least at first. while nowhere near as good and not at all similar in gameplay, the initial pirate conceit caught my attention and earned a lot of good will

Million Ghosts fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 6, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Million Ghosts posted:

i think it's the dog dude who has a one on one fight with some sorta space elf and it's just the loving worst.

The only thing you really need to watch out for in Deego's 1v1 fight is to not spam combos so you can Guard the moment Gale starts laughing :blastu:.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I can only remember tiny bits and pieces of Rogue Galaxy. Not even like game systems or characters, but more like individual moments devoid of all context. Like, I have this picture in my head of fighting in some sandy ruins-looking place, but I can't remember why we were there or who was in the party.

What I'm saying is that this game is so unmemorable that it has literally slipped from my brain over the years.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Rogue Galaxy had probably one of the most amazing strategy guides from DoubleJump. Detailed maps, dedication to the frog log, perfect designs to use for the factory mini game, and entire section to bug battles. It was almost 400 pages for such a mediocre game.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's like two permanently-missable Djinn of each element in Golden Sun and The Lost Age, iirc.

Which will really gently caress you over come endgame in The Last Age; No Charon or Iris summons for you!

afaik that was a thing only in the first GS (which i never got to play), TLA lets you backtrack to get any djinn and there's no perma-missables there?? i could be wrong though cause i haven't played TLA in several years, but when i played GS3 (which incidentally crushed my hopes) a big issue for me was that there were perma-missables unlike in TLA :v:

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

dqxi act 3 is...very bad. I am not going to finish it and am instead going to die 340000 times in new SaGa game.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Lord Ephraim posted:

Rogue Galaxy had probably one of the most amazing strategy guides from DoubleJump. Detailed maps, dedication to the frog log, perfect designs to use for the factory mini game, and entire section to bug battles. It was almost 400 pages for such a mediocre game.

Sony expected Rogue Galaxy to do numbers. and why not? Dark Cloud 1 & 2 were both respectable cult hits, DQ8 did great, and now the dev has a cool new scifi rpg? easy money. it had a ton of marketing and hype and everything in the lead up, and then we got the game.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Lord Ephraim posted:

"It was almost 400 pages for such a mediocre game" was DoubleJump's entire business

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I can't believe millennials killed strategy guides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
Can't decide if I should play through DQXI on PC or Persona 5 on RPCS3. Anyone play through P5 on PC? I hear good things about playability but sometimes it still ends up in some dead end glitch that gets you stuff after dumping 20 hours in.

Spoke Lee fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jan 6, 2020