Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Haramstufe Rot posted:

Gonna cost a lot of money and lives even if the US bulldozes the military.
Like, too much.

As a non American, I don't get the hate for Iran. If you can be in bed with Saudi Arabia, what's to bad about Iran? I can't imagine any American seriously cares whether someone is Sunni or Shia.

Edit: Yes Iran finances terrists and poo poo, but even that is comparably mild for being the mortal enemy of the US since 1979. It feels like a schoolyard bully who has this one specific target nerd for no particular reason.

Conservatives are still sore about the embassy hostages from 40 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Haramstufe Rot posted:

Like, too much.

As a non American, I don't get the hate for Iran. If you can be in bed with Saudi Arabia, what's to bad about Iran? I can't imagine any American seriously cares whether someone is Sunni or Shia.

Edit: Yes Iran finances terrists and poo poo, but even that is comparably mild for being the mortal enemy of the US since 1979. It feels like a schoolyard bully who has this one specific target nerd for no particular reason.

Publicly Saudi Arabia doesn't get talked about much. Privately, Saudi gives a lot of people in the US money and Iran doesn't lol.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Holy gently caress if this is true

https://twitter.com/janearraf/status/1213823941321592834

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Seems more sane than Trump tbh

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Haramstufe Rot posted:

Seems more sane than Trump tbh

Since when has Hezbollah given a poo poo about not hitting civilians? They'll just rationalize it retroactively.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Stop trying to analyze American policy and political positions through the crucible if reason and everything will become clear

espcially with trump as president. there is nothing deeper. he could legit want peace with iran tomarrow or start a war. gently caress if i know.

Deteriorata posted:

Conservatives are still sore about the embassy hostages from 40 years ago.

this. the whole hostage crisis and operation eagle claw is big loving black eye to IC and the US goverment(amonst many black eyes) and they have never forgiven them for it. whats funny is there have been multiple times iran has tried to open a door on normalizing relations but lol.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Also if he's actually loving over Iranian Americans that's a big deal as that's a group that skews pretty drat conservative and who have largely been extremely opposed to the Islamic republic for decades.

If nothing else you're meant to wait until you've hired as many translators as possible before pissing them off and persecuting all of them.

America is the dumping ground for the world's gusanos and lmao that Iranian gusanos are all like "why would the fascist state I moved to treat me poorly? I'm a fascist too!"

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
https://twitter.com/ejmalrai/status/1213833855754485762

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

espcially with trump as president. there is nothing deeper. he could legit want peace with iran tomarrow or start a war. gently caress if i know.

this. the whole hostage crisis and operation eagle claw is big loving black eye to IC and the US goverment(amonst many black eyes) and they have never forgiven them for it. whats funny is there have been multiple times iran has tried to open a door on normalizing relations but lol.

Its worth noting that Conservatives helped sabotage negotiations during the hostage crisis to help Reagan's election.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
I think it's a stretch to pin this one on a 40-year old IC grudge when we could just point to the obvious answer of increasingly open support on that same timeline among American conservatives for a white Christian ethnostate, guys. This is an ideological struggle, not a squabble among elites.

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

Dapper_Swindler posted:

The pundits saying one way or another truly disturb me more than Trump because we have this entire intelligentsia of "experts" who clearly are all charlatans and the Trump admin has totally removed any facade of them being smart/in the know. And they are all out on cable news, twitter, NYT/WAPO articles projecting their views still. Its loving disturbing.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Phi230 posted:

America is the dumping ground for the world's gusanos and lmao that Iranian gusanos are all like "why would the fascist state I moved to treat me poorly? I'm a fascist too!"

You okay man? You sound like you're losing it

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

https://twitter.com/neeratanden/status/1213840384549408768?s=19

More sound political analysis from one of the leading US think tanks.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mat Cauthon posted:

https://twitter.com/neeratanden/status/1213840384549408768?s=19

More sound political analysis from one of the leading US think tanks.
She’s so loving bad at this

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

GHOST_BUTT posted:

I think it's a stretch to pin this one on a 40-year old IC grudge when we could just point to the obvious answer of increasingly open support on that same timeline among American conservatives for a white Christian ethnostate, guys. This is an ideological struggle, not a squabble among elites.

I guess that's why the same people love another famed white Christian ethnostate Saudi Arabia so much.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The American government hates Iran's guts because they hate any country that doesn't lick their boots 24/7, conversely they are more than happy to fund and arm and do propaganda for literally any kind of bootlickers, even ones who were responsible for 9/11. It's not that hard, as the global superpower they don't have to pick their allies and enemies ideologically.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1213978867683209216
https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1213979496065458182

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Phi230 posted:

hmmm pretty bad post you really shouldn't throw around gusanos let alone start calling other countries' immigrants gusanos on top of that calling america a dumping ground for gusanos

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

translation?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
It really is amazing how far down Trumps "transaction" mind set goes.

Also do Iraq even want the air base they have quite a few. Not even sure which one he's referring to, I checked and apparently there have been five co US/Iraq built since the start of the war? Also I like how he's splitting the difference between stubborn toddler and two bit thug.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Part of my almost wants to see Trump order the bombing of Iranian shrines and mosques just for how incredibly hosed up it would be.

e: we don't know what any of these 52 sites really are, do we?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Count Roland posted:

Part of my almost wants to see Trump order the bombing of Iranian shrines and mosques just for how incredibly hosed up it would be.

i assume the "52 sites" are actually bases and military/cabinent offcials and tagets in iran. but trumps mind goes to more hosed up mad king places. so here we are.

https://whc.unesco.org/en/statesparties/ir

here is unescos list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_Heritage_Sites_in_Iran

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 6, 2020

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Count Roland posted:

Don't be silly. Even Trump doesn't know what these sites are.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 6, 2020

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

someone definitely told him something, because he definitely doesnt remember how many hostages there were, let alone most americans (is that even the actual hostage number?) because it was like 40 years ago

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Really a lot of them are probably nuclear-related.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

someone definitely told him something, because he definitely doesnt remember how many hostages there were, let alone most americans (is that even the actual hostage number?) because it was like 40 years ago

surprisingly its the correct number. trumps a dumb vindictive idiot so he probably put tranposed the actual target list into whatever bullshit that was.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

Exactly. Some utter psycho decided to list Iranian targets based on forty-year-old kidnappings. Why are we assuming that they're actually being rational and reasonable in the list they picked?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

dr_rat posted:

It really is amazing how far down Trumps "transaction" mind set goes.

Also do Iraq even want the air base they have quite a few. Not even sure which one he's referring to, I checked and apparently there have been five co US/Iraq built since the start of the war? Also I like how he's splitting the difference between stubborn toddler and two bit thug.

Depends. Even if they are are "co-built" or whatever the US definitely footed the lion's share of the bill for them. Normal US military protocol is to demolish bases or any other developed site on the way out if it has to be abandoned or turned over unless there's a deal made otherwise but even then that's a pretty sizable gift of hardened infrastructure to whoever ends up running Iraq. I'm sure they wouldn't mind it, the rub is what happens between now and then.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Exactly. Some utter psycho decided to list Iranian targets based on forty-year-old kidnappings. Why are we assuming that they're actually being rational and reasonable in the list they picked?

We have no reason to believe the list even exists. Trump's plan extends to threatening Iran into backing down. If they don't, then he'll figure out what that threat actually meant. That's how bluffing works, and bluffing is Trump's goto move.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Count Roland posted:

Really a lot of them are probably nuclear-related.

i wouldn't be surprised that is the actual targets and him just throwing in were going to blow up world historical monuments was some twitter inspiration cause the dude is totally unhinged

mystes
May 31, 2006

Aramis posted:

We have no reason to believe the list even exists. Trump's plan extends to threatening Iran into backing down. If they don't, then he'll figure out what that threat actually meant. That's how bluffing works, and bluffing is Trump's goto move.
Probably once he tweets it there are people who have to put together a list of possible targets.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

the president isnt just evil he's literally bing bong looney tunes

must be how the middle ages felt

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
The us has a list of (tbh probably many hundreds, on average) sites to hit in the event of war drawn up for every country on the planet. It's just part of basic war planning. For a country like Iran that they've spent forty years jerking off to fantasies of bombing, yeah they definitely have many lists prepared that include the Shia and Sufi shrines and tombs that Iranians hold really fuckin dear.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Haramstufe Rot posted:

that's pretty much exactly it

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/John_Hudson/status/1213967546761785345

seems our religious nut friend pompeo has been playing the long game with this.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
So Trump is signalling he will put the US airbase up for sale essentially if Iraq says GTFO. Would the military and/or GOP be up for this kind of real estate-ification of foreign military sites?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Haramstufe Rot posted:

Like, too much.

I think you have to go back to the pre-79 era when the US had pretty complete hegemony over the Mideast, with Turkey, Iran, Israel, Saudi all solidly pro-US and the Arab states too weak to do anything about it really. Not just conservatives but the mainstream liberal and centrist establishment in America basically just wants to go back to the late 50s/early 60s and stay there forever. They think any deviation from the state of affairs of that era is an unacceptable outrage, and just cannot accept it on a deep psychological level. Meanwhile in reality America's grasp has been slipping away for 40 years, and Iran and its revolution and government serve as totemic objects of blind hatred even for people who are otherwise relatively liberal. Normalizing relations with Iran and accepting the reality that it is a major power that does not play by the rules of American centrist liberals and cannot be wished away is a 100% unutterable third rail in American politics, even for people on the left like Bernie. I think it won't change until the US in finally forced out of the region, with the Arab states turning away completely, Turkey going completely rogue, and Israel turning too noxious for the American mainstream to support anymore

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Rip Testes posted:

So Trump is signalling he will put the US airbase up for sale essentially if Iraq says GTFO. Would the military and/or GOP be up for this kind of real estate-ification of foreign military sites?

no he means he wants to get payed for all 16 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Haramstufe Rot posted:

Like, too much.

Somebody has to be the bad guy or the MIC can't function.