Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I never realised but you can still see a touch of the new Tarkin actor underneath that CGI face. Weird fuckin poo poo. When I saw Rogue One whenever he was on screen I immediately checked out of the movie and started scrutinising his face for flaws. Not ideal for immersion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Chomp8645 posted:

Everything in Star Wars has done more world building that the sequel trilogy. imo it's the biggest single problem with the whole thing. I also think it's big part of the "prequels were better than sequels" movement.

Like I just played the Jedi: Fallen Order game and for fucks sake that's even a story driven game and it still did 10x the world building the whole new trilogy has. Hell, even the 20 minute intro sequence on lovely Scrap World probably beat any of the ST for world building. I don't get it. It's really weird because Rogue One and Solo didn't have this problem. They took time to establish what's going on and added to the greater Star Wars lore through world building (opinions on the quality of it aside). But for some reason the actual mainline films just couldn't be loving bothered to do any of it.

Who cares, gently caress it, just write the "The First Order conquered the galaxy" and "Palpatine is alive" in the opening scrawls lol wtf.

The opening scenes on Jakku at the start of TFA I thought were really good at establishing Rey, the shithole she lived in, and how a post-empire planet on the fringe might look and operate. Then the First Order shows up to get BB-8 and we essentially don't get a single piece of world building or fleshing out of characters for the rest of the entire goddamn trilogy.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Owlbear Camus posted:

HBO did this between seasons because the guy decided he wanted to be in a movie, had a brief scene establishing the new actor was playing the same part, and we pretty much went with it.

Meanwhile Disney thinks that their fans won't understand that Peter Cushing couldn't reprise his roll 23 years after his death and spend a zillion dollars on VFX to resurrect him to mixed reactions about how convincing the effect is.

If they ever do have a story heavily involving the OT main characters set during/closer to the OT (or God help us a full reboot) I'm not convinced they wouldn't try to do this creepy nonsense for every main character in a feature length film.

It would be kind of hilarious to have the only completely practical actors on the clean plate shots be the seven foot fur monster and the robots.

I really wish Disney had just recasted someone new to play Leia. Apparently that came down to the vast majority of the issues with the narrative in Last Jedi, and Rise of Skywalker, was that Leia was meant to be the main character alongside Rey.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

It just occured to me the reason they are doing this is probably something to do with the most quintessentially Star Wars of things: crass rear end merchandising and likeness rights. A Tarkin that always looks the same is a stronger BrAnD, and as a bonus it's easier not to have to open merchandising negotiations with a newly cast actor who knows it's a major role that's gonna make a lot of toys.

I bet there was at least a semi-serious pitch floating around to superimpose a de-aged Ford face for the Solo flick.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I really wish Disney had just recasted someone new to play Leia. Apparently that came down to the vast majority of the issues with the narrative in Last Jedi, and Rise of Skywalker, was that Leia was meant to be the main character alongside Rey.

The fact that she died before they finished filming is only one negative aspect of many for that bad idea

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

I said come in! posted:

Pretty sure the terrible script and messy production rushed out by Kathleen Kennedy, Abrams and co, after Colin Trevorrow was dropped off a cliff when he couldn't deliver a halfway functional script, is the primary reason why the movie sucks so much. Along with the executive meddling and total lack of creative freedom given to Star Wars creators by Disney. Carrie Fisher dying is totally besides the point because the movie may have been okay enough if Disney gave the troubled production time to breathe as opposed to throwing a very bad movie to the wolves because of self-imposed asinine deadlines.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 14, 2020

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

It just occured to me the reason they are doing this is probably something to do with the most quintessentially Star Wars of things: crass rear end merchandising and likeness rights. A Tarkin that always looks the same is a stronger BrAnD, and as a bonus it's easier not to have to open merchandising negotiations with a newly cast actor who knows it's a major role that's gonna make a lot of toys.

I bet there was at least a semi-serious pitch floating around to superimpose a de-aged Ford face for the Solo flick.

I'll sign away my likeness as General Hotso in exchange for 30 minutes with that thick lipped jizz singer from Jabbas palace

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
I might be the only one that doesn't have a problem with the cgi replacement of dead/unavailable actors. I thought it was cool to see Tarkin again in Rogue One, and seeing young Leia at the end was a nice surprise as well. But I think it only works with smaller roles. If it's the main character I'm not sure it will work so well. But I think I prefer it over recasts. Recasts are distracting, and I was annoyed when they recast Dario in GoT with a completely different looking actor. The first guy (Fabio Dario) had such a unique look. The second guy was just another dude with a beard. Also the first Mountain was waaaay better than any of the other Mountains, and he only had a few scenes.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Recasting is only ever as good as the guy they recast. I thought Donald Glover’s Lando was legit good to watch and definitely it increased the appeal of the movie to me over some kind of hypothetical de aged cg Billy Dee Williams. Conversely the Han guy wasn’t convincing...but then again, how can you follow Harrison Ford?

There is potential for CG to represent likenesses of dead people but I think it isn’t yet working to the point where it should be done much. In particular the cobbled together dead Carrie Fisher stuff in TROS is fascinatingly creepy and weird which probably isn’t the vibe they were going for.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Star Worse

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/q_review/status/1216761797463674880?s=21

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So your thoughts on themes, are they for 8th graders or perhaps younger audiences?

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

So now when I say JJ can't write and can't tie up his mystery boxes, I'm quoting JJ?

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

I hope it continues to become a tradition of Lucas or co. to keep loving with the Greedo scene for every new special edition that comes out.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

halokiller posted:

I hope it continues to become a tradition of Lucas or co. to keep loving with the Greedo scene for every new special edition that comes out.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

WE LOVE THE HUTTS!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

halokiller posted:

Greedo, weeping, begging you the viewer to pause the film and prevent his death

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

halokiller posted:

Greedo's brother shot first

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

JJJJJJJJJJJ abrams

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Hillary 2020 posted:

Greedo's brother shot first

You mean Graddle?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

remember when star trek the JJ came out and people (star trek people) didnt really like it too

except star trek has been hosed with so much everyone was like ehhhh ok :)

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Sydin posted:

The opening scenes on Jakku at the start of TFA I thought were really good at establishing Rey, the shithole she lived in, and how a post-empire planet on the fringe might look and operate. Then the First Order shows up to get BB-8 and we essentially don't get a single piece of world building or fleshing out of characters for the rest of the entire goddamn trilogy.

LOL

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

You mean Graddle?

Pqweeduk

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
When I watched star trek and into darkness I THOUGHT "JJ sure doesn't understand a thing about space"

After ROS I don't think he understands anything

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Did JJ hire the kid that wrote BvS to hide his own ineptitude cause every franchise he's touched has turned to poo poo

except Fringe, he got kicked out before he could do any damage

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

halokiller posted:

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

Blistex posted:

They could have had Tarkin do all of his lines via holoprojector and nobody would have been creeped out.

Thank you! I didn't really mind the CGI replacement but this would have been so much better

EDIT anyway still haven't seen TROS yet don't know if I care to

Burns
May 10, 2008

The tarkin thing probably has more to do with disney trying to show off their fancy, expensive tech to justify costs to investors.

My problem with Tarkin cgi is that it emotes incorrectly and it doesnt look right on the close ups as a result.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Snokes on a plane

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Bunch of computer nerds trying to act by dragging sliders and using the smudge tool

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Barudak posted:

Greedo, weeping, begging you the viewer to pause the film and prevent his death

Just curious, is there a movie that does this?

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Snokes on a plane

Snoke clones.

Snokeclones.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Snackmar posted:

Just curious, is there a movie that does this?

It is a massive spoiler and not exactly the same but there is an infamous horror movie that does something with this concept to directly confront the viewer funny games.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

I want to say that one Black Mirror movie did address the audience directly, but don't quote me on that

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Outpost22 posted:

Thank you! I didn't really mind the CGI replacement but this would have been so much better

EDIT anyway still haven't seen TROS yet don't know if I care to

The worst thing I can say about TROS is that it isn't worth watching. It's not a good movie, and it's not the kind of bad movie that's fun to watch. It's just a disjointed big budget mess.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

trevorrow's script may not have made for a better movie but at least it would have been something that followed from TLJ

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Blistex posted:

The worst thing I can say about TROS is that it isn't worth watching. It's not a good movie, and it's not the kind of bad movie that's fun to watch. It's just a disjointed big budget mess.

i enjoyed TLJ for all its flaws, and I'm used to discounting goon opinions about this kind of thing, but yeah TROS is just a whole bunch of stuff that happens then it stops.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

sebmojo posted:

i enjoyed TLJ for all its flaws, and I'm used to discounting goon opinions about this kind of thing, but yeah TROS is just a whole bunch of stuff that happens then it stops.

This is a good review of the entire sequel trilogy

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
https://mobile.twitter.com/jacobinmag/status/1217120658045448192

Owlbear Camus posted:

trevorrow's script may not have made for a better movie but at least it would have been something that followed from TLJ

I don’t know of any reason to believe this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

skasion posted:

[

I don’t know of any reason to believe this

It doesn't bring back Palpatine in the flesh or try to sweep Rose under the rug af least?