Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
I'm probably going to get Oath and not The Dark Tower even though the giant chunk of plastic might wow people enough to get it to the table slightly more often. I really don't need more games but anything that does something a bit unique is just too much for me to resist apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

The Moon Monster posted:

It's kind of annoying how little the campaign page itself says about the game. It seems like there's a ton of info out there, but if you just look at kickstarter you'll only have the vaguest idea of what playing the game actually entails.

Pissed off or not there's no way I would pay $70 in shipping for a $90 game. If I was in "rest of world" I would probably just wait for retail, although I have no idea what boardgame retail is like in Laos or whatever...

There is a preliminary rulebook PDF at least.

I did both Oath and Dark Tower, although like a lot of other people have said, I’m not doing the full blinged out minis version of Dark Tower. The money I save there basically pays for Oath! (is what I’m telling myself)

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 15, 2020

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Don't forget that John Company, Pax Pamir, and Frosthaven are just around the corner. Well who needs money anyway???

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

StarkRavingMad posted:

So yeah, it sounds like he was pretty deep involved on the design side.

I wish he had more to say about why it's so insanely ambitious. I mean, cool, there's an electronic tower and an app? I can see how those could facilitate an ambitious design, but Gloomhaven was bonkers because of how much game there is and how deep the play is despite this, and it's hard to see that in what they're presenting of Dark Tower.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

malkav11 posted:

I wish he had more to say about why it's so insanely ambitious. I mean, cool, there's an electronic tower and an app? I can see how those could facilitate an ambitious design, but Gloomhaven was bonkers because of how much game there is and how deep the play is despite this, and it's hard to see that in what they're presenting of Dark Tower.

It's worth noting that Isaacs non-Gloomhaven work is extremely mediocre.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Joe Slowboat posted:

The biggest influences on Troika's setting are The Dying Earth and the Book of the New Sun, and if that doesn't sell it for you I don't know what to say. I also love their dragons.

tell us of Troika's dragons

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

LeSquide posted:

tell us of Troika's dragons

Troika’s dragons are beings of pure hyperlight that soar through space, geometrically and metaphysically incorruptible. This means that they can and do indulge in wanton destruction, avarice, seeking forbidden knowledge and random acts of cruelty, because they revel in the fact that nothing can ever make them less perfect than they are by nature.

It’s a lovely theological weirdness wrapped in the classic dragon package of teeth and kaleidoscopic fire breath, plus I already have a story concept (The Dungeon of the Dragon) based on that theological understanding: since dragons are incorrupt, then clearly a dragon moving in should be treated as a saint or prophet, and whoever they randomly choose to attack is guilty in some imperceptible but fundamental way.

The main characters would be, of course, shipwrecked on a planet by dragon attack, and then have to deal with bounty hunters, a Byzantine legal system, and political causes for and against the ‘lawful’ government-by-space-dragon-attack, before they can get off this rock.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Joe Slowboat posted:

Troika’s dragons are beings of pure hyperlight that soar through space, geometrically and metaphysically incorruptible. This means that they can and do indulge in wanton destruction, avarice, seeking forbidden knowledge and random acts of cruelty, because they revel in the fact that nothing can ever make them less perfect than they are by nature.

It’s a lovely theological weirdness wrapped in the classic dragon package of teeth and kaleidoscopic fire breath, plus I already have a story concept (The Dungeon of the Dragon) based on that theological understanding: since dragons are incorrupt, then clearly a dragon moving in should be treated as a saint or prophet, and whoever they randomly choose to attack is guilty in some imperceptible but fundamental way.

The main characters would be, of course, shipwrecked on a planet by dragon attack, and then have to deal with bounty hunters, a Byzantine legal system, and political causes for and against the ‘lawful’ government-by-space-dragon-attack, before they can get off this rock.

Holy poo poo this rules

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

It's worth noting that Isaacs non-Gloomhaven work is extremely mediocre.

Forge war is excellent, only founders is bad.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Doctor Zero posted:

Why is that pissing people off? $70 is rest of world, and that’s almost certainly due to the US shipping prices. They are even eating a portion of the costs themselves.

What golden bubble said, and whatever Leder says they're not subsidising shipping, buyers are paying for it elsewhere. Plus, did it cross your mind that these people might just be in the "rest of world" area?

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Forge war is excellent, only founders is bad.

Founders isn't bad, it's just very rough around the edges.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Safety Biscuits posted:

What golden bubble said, and whatever Leder says they're not subsidising shipping, buyers are paying for it elsewhere. Plus, did it cross your mind that these people might just be in the "rest of world" area?
I think this is something people are going to have to get used to though. It stings more because the game is "only" $90 so paying $70 for shipping is rough, but the dark tower game has shipping costs of $80-115. I can't complain about shipping rates too much at the moment, I live in what tends to be a key hub so get good rates.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Safety Biscuits posted:

Right but my point is why get pissed at the KS organizer for shipping being high? They aren’t in control of shipping costs. It almost sounded like it was $70 across the board, but for the countries listed its aligned with how much shipping costs.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Doctor Zero posted:

Right but my point is why get pissed at the KS organizer for shipping being high? They aren’t in control of shipping costs. It almost sounded like it was $70 across the board, but for the countries listed its aligned with how much shipping costs.

It's quite high even for those countries.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's quite high even for those countries.

Which is annoying but still, not something the KS people can do anything about.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Doctor Zero posted:

Because the average consumer has no idea how shipping costs actually work.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
Kickstarters used to be able to somewhat absorb shipping costs into their base prices, but as I understand it the problem hasn't just been with higher shipping costs, but also increased volatility in those costs. Trying to make shipping costs invisible to the buyer now comes with the risk that they rise so much between pledges and delivery that you lose money overall.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

For comparison here are shipping costs to Australia for some other games. Some of these are smaller / lighter than Oath, some aren't.

Gloomhaven - 10 USD
Endeavor - 18 CAD
Brass - 14 CAD
Root+Expac - 15 USD
Suburbia CE - 30 USD
Valley of the Kings Deluxe - 22 USD
Days of Ire & Nights of Fire - 18 USD
On Mars - 36 USD

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Can you even ship Gloomhaven from one room to another for :10bux:?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Can you even ship Gloomhaven from one room to another for :10bux:?

I assume Isaac lost money on the copy I bought.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Shipping here for Pax Pamir was $25 and Oath isn't that much bigger.

Zandar posted:

Kickstarters used to be able to somewhat absorb shipping costs into their base prices, but as I understand it the problem hasn't just been with higher shipping costs, but also increased volatility in those costs. Trying to make shipping costs invisible to the buyer now comes with the risk that they rise so much between pledges and delivery that you lose money overall.

Things are going to be interesting for UK backers.

Doctor Zero posted:

Your post sounded like you were saying the rest of world customers didn't matter, that's all. I agree it's silly to be pissed off with Leder for something like this, yeah.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I assume Isaac lost money on the copy I bought.

Standee only Gloomhaven from the first kickstarter for $64, free shipping :cool:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Doctor Spaceman posted:

For comparison here are shipping costs to Australia for some other games. Some of these are smaller / lighter than Oath, some aren't.

Gloomhaven - 10 USD
Endeavor - 18 CAD
Brass - 14 CAD
Root+Expac - 15 USD
Suburbia CE - 30 USD
Valley of the Kings Deluxe - 22 USD
Days of Ire & Nights of Fire - 18 USD
On Mars - 36 USD

Current prices or past? Because shipping isn’t, like, a constant. The current prices are way higher than a few years ago.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Speaking of giant games, apparently my copy of Empyrial is out for delivery. RIP any remaining space I had for games.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

also please never compare anything to gloomhaven

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Apparently whoever delivered Empyreal left it out on the sidewalk on a stormy day, so looking forward to, best case, deal with a waterlogged game and worst case talk to L99 about replacing my stolen shipment. Pretty cool, guy.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

How was the Gloomhaven expansion? I got my copy but my group that played through Gloomhaven probably won't get to it. One of our members tried the new class with a group of newbies in the base game and wasn't impressed. I'm not sure if I should play the expansion solo or try to get the band back together for it before Frosthaven hits. Or I can just leave it boxed away with my second printing of the main game until the kids are old enough.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

GrandpaPants posted:

Apparently whoever delivered Empyreal left it out on the sidewalk on a stormy day, so looking forward to, best case, deal with a waterlogged game and worst case talk to L99 about replacing my stolen shipment. Pretty cool, guy.
Add to that the possible damage to the game before it even got shipped:

Level 99 KS Update 46 posted:

The Situation
Due to a mechanical failure and QA oversight by the factory, about 1 in 4 copies of Empyreal and its expansion, As Above, So Below, has some kind of minor damage to the punchboard components. Usually this is going to be one or two punchboards where some loose glue has ruined a small area of the board.

In spite of this slight damage, every copy is fully playable right out of the box. Due to the modular nature of the game, you should have no difficulty removing the one or two damaged tiles from the game and playing without them.

About 1 in 10 copies of Deluxe shipped with some minor scratches on one of the Deluxe player boards. These shouldn't impede your ability to play the game with these boards, or to just swap them with an undamaged normal board from the base game instead.

The Solution
Right now, Longpack is in the midst of producing replacement boards for EVERY copy of Empyreal and As Above, so Below. If you are in the EU or Asia, your box will come with the corrected parts already packed in. If you are in the USA, Australia, or Canada, you will receive a second shipment of replacement parts when they arrive (most likely during the month of March).

Longpack is producing a smaller number of replacement parts of the Deluxe Player Boards, which we will distribute manually. If you receive a copy of Deluxe with scratches, you can contact us directly for replacement parts. Those will likely also ship out during the month of March.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Safety Biscuits posted:

Shipping here for Pax Pamir was $25 and Oath isn't that much bigger.

Things are going to be interesting for UK backers.

Your post sounded like you were saying the rest of world customers didn't matter, that's all. I agree it's silly to be pissed off with Leder for something like this, yeah.

Ah sorry. Yeah didn’t mean to sound like that. :wotwot:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

bagrada posted:

How was the Gloomhaven expansion? I got my copy but my group that played through Gloomhaven probably won't get to it. One of our members tried the new class with a group of newbies in the base game and wasn't impressed. I'm not sure if I should play the expansion solo or try to get the band back together for it before Frosthaven hits. Or I can just leave it boxed away with my second printing of the main game until the kids are old enough.
It's gotten mixed reviews. If you enjoy puzzles and scenarios with weird win conditions, it will be up your alley.

Diviner's a weird class. In the right hands with a capable group, she's incredibly powerful. Without both those things - a very capable player and a tactically-minded group - she's not gonna work out so well.

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure
Yall ready for a reboot of some classic Monte Cook insanity?

Sure you are.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Aw, I was hoping MCWoD.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Here. I. GO.

https://twitter.com/blue_troller/status/1217921553624641552?s=20

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

JazzFlight posted:

Add to that the possible damage to the game before it even got shipped:

I've got a few slight scuffs here and there and my boxes got some minor shipping damage, but nothing game-altering.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

bagrada posted:

The expac class is best left til Forgotten Circles itself. FC isn't going to be for everyone either.

The other thing to wait for is Subtitle The Jaws of the Lion, the cheaper, more accessible version of the game going straight to retail later this year.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Reading those dev diaries for Oath is making me more and more excited each one I read. Probably having played a lot of Root recently has helped with my attitude towards Leder.

Joe Slowboat posted:

Troika's dragons are beings of pure hyperlight that soar through space, geometrically and metaphysically incorruptible. This means that they can and do indulge in wanton destruction, avarice, seeking forbidden knowledge and random acts of cruelty, because they revel in the fact that nothing can ever make them less perfect than they are by nature.

It's a lovely theological weirdness wrapped in the classic dragon package of teeth and kaleidoscopic fire breath, plus I already have a story concept (The Dungeon of the Dragon) based on that theological understanding: since dragons are incorrupt, then clearly a dragon moving in should be treated as a saint or prophet, and whoever they randomly choose to attack is guilty in some imperceptible but fundamental way.

I'm sold. That Turtle's on the paleozoic page is doing a lot of heavy lifting as well.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Echophonic posted:

I've got a few slight scuffs here and there and my boxes got some minor shipping damage, but nothing game-altering.
Yeah, I did a spot check and I'd say I'm either one of the undamaged productions or they just have higher standards of what's acceptable. There are some extremely minor scuffs on the deluxe boards that show up since they're black, but that's unavoidable wear and tear on any material like that. No ink leaks or stuck together punchboards like they were warning about.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah, I did a spot check and I'd say I'm either one of the undamaged productions or they just have higher standards of what's acceptable. There are some extremely minor scuffs on the deluxe boards that show up since they're black, but that's unavoidable wear and tear on any material like that. No ink leaks or stuck together punchboards like they were warning about.

I did end up with some punchboard glue issues on my expansion, after going through it. Also a few nicks on the inside of a a Deluxe board.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The expac class is best left til Forgotten Circles itself. FC isn't going to be for everyone either.

The other thing to wait for is Subtitle The Jaws of the Lion, the cheaper, more accessible version of the game going straight to retail later this year.

dwarf74 posted:

It's gotten mixed reviews. If you enjoy puzzles and scenarios with weird win conditions, it will be up your alley.

Diviner's a weird class. In the right hands with a capable group, she's incredibly powerful. Without both those things - a very capable player and a tactically-minded group - she's not gonna work out so well.

Thanks and drat I don't know how I missed Jaws of the Lion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
For all the funny and inventive writing, Troika is still just a crusty-rear end D&D retroclone, sadly. I wish the setting and class writing was tied to a better system. :rip: