Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Not necessarily a Gundam thing but something I've always wondered regarding media showing exposure to vacuum is how much damage a person might take from radiation. Would your skin get a pretty nasty burn from solar radiation over a short hop like Quess does or would you need a much more thorough time being exposed for it to appear? I'd imagine a body in vacuum for an extended period of time would look freezer burnt as they freeze and have their skin cooked.
For something like ten seconds, you might notice it later but the vacuum exposure would probably have left more of a mark. A body left in vacuum would probably eventually freeze dry, yeah. This was the plot of 3001, in fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

After being burned so badly on Build Divers I pretty much ignored ReRise until it was finished and I actually read some positive comments on it here. It didn't quite sell me on episode 1 and the furry village took a while to get used to but overall, yes, ReRise is a solid show and a lot better than it has any right to be.

It really makes me wonder how they got the original Build Divers so incredibly wrong, though on the other hand ReRise feels like a direct reaction to every criticism I had of the original, so I guess they're learning?

I liked that they resisted the obvious tropes, in particular I like how they gave the childhood friend character a whole life of her own that wasn't dependent on Hiroto's existence.

Also a fairly brutal ending to season 1, I would have never expected a Build show to give us proper Gundam horrors of war but there it is. I almost didn't believe it at first but yup everyone very dead from an orbital superweapon, Tomino would be proud. Needless to say, I'm interested in seeing where Season 2 will take us.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The next Gundam show I'm watching is 0079 because I guess I'm kind of a masochist. I'm eight episodes in and I appreciate that nobody on the White Base know how anything operates and Amuro's secret superpower is that he read the manual

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Masochism would be watching Destiny or AGE, the original Mobile Suit Gundam is a great show.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

You don’t learn all the deep lore about Bright’s love of hamburgers or the White Base’s chef unless you watch the original series.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

tsob posted:

Masochism would be watching Destiny or AGE, the original Mobile Suit Gundam is a great show.

Destiny isn't terrible until Kira comes back. After that, it just a bit obnoxious until Athrun goes AWOL.

That's when it goes completely pants.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

tsob posted:

I just watched episode 8 and yeah actually this show is great. It’s slow but that slowness helps build tension. I’m surprised by how threatening and competent Char still feels despite him losing a whole bunch

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ethiser posted:

You don’t learn all the deep lore about Bright’s love of hamburgers or the White Base’s chef unless you watch the original series.

You also don't get episodes that humanize Zeon like "Time, Be Still" or "Doan's Island", and yes I'm completely serious about that second one despite it's reputation in the fandom. I actually really enjoyed the episode, as goofy as some elements are because it showed a side of Zeon soldiers that is rarely seen (i.e. that some of them are willing to hold to moral ideals rather than just social ones like Gato). Nor do you get episodes that show just how lovely the Federation is, like "Coming Home". All of which are in a row, not surprisingly, because all 3 of them together show that the sides aren't as black and white as they can often seem. It also greatly expands Amuro's early trauma from the war, like when Icelina goes out in a Gaw to avenge Garma, and dies trying to attack Amuro who just looks at her body and can't understand why this civilian wants to kill him for no apparent reason. The quiet scene of the crew burying her body really shows how disturbing the whole affair is for them. You also have scenes like Amuro basically going out to face Ramba for the first time like a zombie because he's just too tired to put up any kind of objection, but the crew are so desperate for someone to protect them in the Gundam and he's the only pilot; something that nearly kills Amuro because he's shellshocked.

I also think the first half of the series makes it apparent just how hard Amuro has to work to become such a skilled pilot, and think it shows him training more than any other pilot in the franchise. He puts in dozens of hours in the simulator, spends a lot of off-time either working on the Gundam itself or examining it's computer, he uses captured enemy machines to get a handle on how to fight them, comes up with new maneuvers to fight higher spec machines the computer is having trouble accounting for on it's own, is shown practicing docking at the beginning of every episode for about 7 or 8 episodes in a row etc. The show greatly expands Amuro's character, and while all the beats are there in the movies, the show makes them a lot more memorable because it can afford to give them greater focus.

tsob fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 16, 2020

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
They do a good job showing you that the Gundam can’t beat Char, Amuro is going to have to. And as quickly as Amuro is learning, Char is way ahead.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
0079 rules, it was the first one I watched and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'd say the show also does a good job of showing you that fighting Ramba Ral is the stepping stone from "Amuro is starting to keep up with Char, but still has some ways to go to get on his level" to "Amuro is at least as good as Char now" (i.e. Jaburo). Ramba Ral forced Amuro to start relying more on himself than on the computer, and the perfect encapsulation of that is the previously mentioned scene of Amuro using the data from the captured Zaku II to simulate the performance of a Gouf by increasing it's capabilities by 20% over the standard Zaku II; then coming up with new maneuvers on his own to put in to the computer in an effort to try and fight the Gouf". Ramba shouts that Amuro won because of the mobile suit rather than skill after Amuro beats him, but I think it's pretty clear that's not true. The Gundam and Gouf both performed about the same on the ground in the animation (despite what manuals want to make up as performance figures), and both used similar weapons to do similar damage to each other before Amuro avoided one of Ral's strikes and cut the Gouf's two arms off in one swing. That's not the mobile suit; that's Amuro. Ral's words still get to Amuro, and drive him to keep improving, so that the Black Tri-Stars are almost trivially dealt with, but Amuro surpassed Ramba already and was on his way to becoming Char's equal at that point.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

RillAkBea posted:

Also a fairly brutal ending to season 1, I would have never expected a Build show to give us proper Gundam horrors of war but there it is. I almost didn't believe it at first but yup everyone very dead from an orbital superweapon, Tomino would be proud. Needless to say, I'm interested in seeing where Season 2 will take us.
I really liked how Kazami was partly responsible for the mass amount of death due to him doing the equivalent of mashing A to get past the dialogue sections. Who hasn't done that while playing an RPG?

The characters in re rise acted way more like actual gamers, when their compared to the guys in build divers.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 16, 2020

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

tsob posted:

You also don't get episodes that humanize Zeon like "Time, Be Still" or "Doan's Island", and yes I'm completely serious about that second one despite it's reputation in the fandom. I actually really enjoyed the episode, as goofy as some elements are because it showed a side of Zeon soldiers that is rarely seen (i.e. that some of them are willing to hold to moral ideals rather than just social ones like Gato).
Doan's Island has some truly amazing art that's also worth watching it for:

It's kind of endearing how low budget the original Gundam is at times. That said, the shot in that episode of the Gundam ejecting the Core Fighter is... unsettling.

gourdcaptain fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 16, 2020

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Monaghan posted:

The characters in re rise acted way more like actual gamers, when their compared to the guys in build dbuild divers.

The characters in Re:Rise acted way more like actual characters than their Build Divers counterparts. They had personalities, motivations, backstories, even trauma to surpass and some actual development.

That's way more than I could ever say about Riku who I still have no idea how to describe because that'd need something to describe.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

gourdcaptain posted:

That said, the shot in that episode of the Gundam ejecting the Core Fighter is... unsettling.

well now i wanna see it

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The secondary characters in Build Divers had some personality and development to be fair. Specifically Koichi, Ayame and Tsukasa. Unfortunately, Koiichi and Ayame's development was done once they became Riku's friends and joined his force. I assume the same thing happened with Tsukasa, but I didn't stick around long enough to find out. Riku, his friend with the GM and Sarah were cardboard cutouts though. Momoka I recall at least showing some personality, but that was mostly in service of comedy, rather than any kind of arc or drive of her own.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

thetoughestbean posted:

Amuro's secret superpower is that he read the manual

I started a rewatch a while back and was asked by my wife why this idiot kid is in a super top secret war machine worth billions, and yeah. "The manual fell on the ground next to him and no one else bothered to read it afterwards."

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

to be fair everyone else around is a kid too. it's not like captain bright is gonna read the manual and hop in (he's no char), and i'm not so sure kai or hayato or whoever are actually any more qualified than amuro

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

After being burned so badly on Build Divers I pretty much ignored ReRise until it was finished and I actually read some positive comments on it here. It didn't quite sell me on episode 1 and the furry village took a while to get used to but overall, yes, ReRise is a solid show and a lot better than it has any right to be.

It really makes me wonder how they got the original Build Divers so incredibly wrong, though on the other hand ReRise feels like a direct reaction to every criticism I had of the original, so I guess they're learning?

I liked that they resisted the obvious tropes, in particular I like how they gave the childhood friend character a whole life of her own that wasn't dependent on Hiroto's existence.

Re:Rise has a different writer. That's the answer. GBD was written by Noboru Kimura, and GBDRR was written by Yasuyuki Muto.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The best thing about Doan's island is the way the Zaku has to be carried by hanging from a helicopter

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ninjewtsu posted:

to be fair everyone else around is a kid too. it's not like captain bright is gonna read the manual and hop in (he's no char), and i'm not so sure kai or hayato or whoever are actually any more qualified than amuro

It's also not like Captain Bright doesn't have a job to do already. Which is something he even points out himself when Amuro refuses to pilot. Char can afford to go out and pilot personally because there's other people on his ship that he can leave command of the ship too. Bright can't, because he's the most qualified at that point (besides the actual captain, who is so hosed up he's on the bridge in a sickbed and passed out half the time) and everyone else is a civilian. He has no real idea what he's doing, but he has way more idea even then than anyone else. Which is shown when Mirai takes over for him for a few episodes and completely fucks it up; though Sayla seems pretty on the ball as an adviser during those episodes.

Ryu was the only other person even remotely qualified to pilot, and he was used to flying jets, which is why he took over the spare Core Fighter in those early episodes, even though the Guntank and Guncannon were there after a few episodes. There also wasn't really a chance for anyone else to even try to pilot the Gundam until episode 3 if I recall, because things were happening so fast and by then Amuro actually had a couple of hours experience. Which isn't much, but is infinitely more than everyone else on the crew combined by then. He was doing well, and everyone else already had poo poo to do flying the White Base, looking after civilians, acting as a nurse, manning guns etc.

It's also worth bearing in mind that while Amuro is a kid and really has no right piloting a giant war machine, Bright and Ryu are the only other military personnel on board the ship besides the dying captain and Bright is only a few years older than Amuro as well as having a job of his own to do. Everyone else is either a child, a teen or an old person who's past the traditional age for any kind of soldiering too. There were no good candidates on board the White Base besides maybe Ryu, who already had a more familiar machine in the Core Fighter, even if it wasn't nearly as powerful.

tsob fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 16, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Note: "past the traditional age to do any soldiering" in Gundam refers to anyone over the age of 35. Ramba Ral is an old rear end man at his age.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Who is the oldest effective pilot outside of Char and Amuro circa CCA? I always think of Lockon ver. 1 & 2 being fairly old by Gundam standards and I think Graham is also supposed to be in his mid-20s too at the start. Billy and Sumeragi in 00 should be in their 30s by the start of season 2 at least. I know they're not pilots but Sumeragi is definitely older than I expected for a Gundam team mom.

Tulalip Tulips fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 16, 2020

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

master asia?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Setsuna

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Pikachu! You piece of poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Who is the oldest effective pilot outside of Char and Amuro circa CCA? I always think of Lockon ver. 1 & 2 being fairly old by Gundam standards and I think Graham is also supposed to be in his mid-20s too at the start. Billy and Sumeragi in 00 should be in their 30s by the start of season 2 at least. I know they're not pilots but Sumeragi is definitely older than I expected for a Gundam team mom.

Asemu Asuno or Flit Asuno. Asemu is 41 and Flit is 63

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tulalip Tulips posted:

You kind of have to go universe to universe or else the answer is SUPER ASIA.

In UC, Yazan is pretty good and seems to have been 27 at his first appearance.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ImpAtom posted:

Asemu Asuno or Flit Asuno. Asemu is 41 and Flit is 63

Nessus posted:

You kind of have to go universe to universe or else the answer is SUPER ASIA.

In UC, Yazan is pretty good and seems to have been 27 at his first appearance.

Setsuna beats all those guys

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Do we know if Setsuna actually is a good pilot when he comes back 80 years later

maybe the silver plating slowed him down and he sucks now

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Old man Judau, surely.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zore posted:

Do we know if Setsuna actually is a good pilot when he comes back 80 years later

maybe the silver plating slowed him down and he sucks now

https://youtu.be/WWnQcTS0GTE

That said it is a question of how much of Setsunas capability is always having an OP god of a suit

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Sweatson Sutero says Gym is about 2,000 to 3,000 years old during Turn A. Which, he probably isn't, because Sid also dates the Turn A to be about 2,500 years old and Gym talks about his ancestors founding the city of Ghingham like they're ancient and he'd be personally familiar with the Black History if both of them are accurate. Regardless, Corin Nander is so old Dianna says he predates the Moonrace records, and he's personally familiar with the smell of the Moonlight Butterfly in action. They're both that old through cryosleep though, which may not count. They're still quite old physically, but only about 40s to maybe 50s old.

tsob fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 16, 2020

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
All of the main people in Narrative are in their twenties I think.

Back to the earlier Gundam point, you have to contextualize that like half of humanity's population has died by the time we meet Amuro so things are already screwy.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

jackhunter64 posted:

Old man Judau, surely.

Yeah probably him

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah probably him

(00)79 in his last appearance, according to the wiki. Ignoring the cryosleep in Turn A (which, depending on how various things work out, could put Corin Nander in competition with Buster Machine 7 when it comes to age), that should put him ahead of Master Asia for the title.

Of course, if we count manga, there's also MAD WANG for cryonics, putting its leads chronologically over 1,000.

Meanwhile, G's got the oldest lead at start for any of the TV shows. Domon's 20, and most of the other main pilots (except Sai and Allenby) are at least as old as he is.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

If we're including cyrosleep and non-animated stuff, then doesn't that put some Wing people in the running because of Frozen Teardrop?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you're in Australia, Madman's doing their bi-annual warehouse cleanout sale and there's a few Gundam DVD's for cheap;

MSG Thunderbolt: Bandit Flower is $19AUD.
MSG IBO Season 1 is $39AUD (DVD or BluRay are both available).
MSG IBO Season 2 is $15AUD (ditto).
MSG The Origin Collection 1 is $10AUD.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
How old was Buster Machine 7? I don't recall. Dianna mentions during the Black History exposition that UC was 10,000 years ago (though it's changed to 5,000 years ago for some inexplicable reason in the compilation films), so the Moonrace records presumably go back at least that far. Which would make Corin over 10,000 years old chronologically, even if not physically. I thought Frozen Teardrop only had people cryofrozen for a few decades? I haven't read much about it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So basically we need an SRW game with Turn A Gundam, G-Reco, and Diebuster on the roster then?