Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

I really love(d) Night Of The Full Moon for a slay-the-spire type game. Great not to need to watch ads, just buy extra characters as dlc. Of course the big new update broke it completely on my phone, hence me being here in this thread - anyone got any good links on how to troubleshoot Android games?

You probably need to contact the developer and ask for help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Notfm broke when I moved to Android 10 (blank screen) but it seems to work again now

Although I was getting hard locks occasionally after the big update, so I need to play it some more before I'm sure

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

FredMSloniker posted:

Any suggestions for free games with no energy system or other reasons I couldn't just keep playing? Feel free to point me to another thread if the game's popular enough to merit one.

Griblers is just a straight up free game that's kind of a weird hybrid of an RPG and a board game. There's no ads and no need to spend money (it'll pop up a little banner asking you to donate to the devs every once in a while and you can buy super items for real cash that are totally unnecessary to complete the game). It does have a defined ending and I don't think it would be super replayable, but there's a good 5-10 hours of content at least and for $0 that's a pretty good deal.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I didn't like that it seemed there was no progression possible on night of the full moon without buying new characters/content... Am I just bad or is there no way to unlock stuff without paying?

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

FredMSloniker posted:

free games with no energy system or other reasons I couldn't just keep playing?

Its very straight forward (completely stripped to the essential ideas) but Dungeon Faster is free and satisfied my 'click-things-mindlessly' itch

pile of brown posted:

I didn't like that it seemed there was no progression possible on night of the full moon without buying new characters/content... Am I just bad or is there no way to unlock stuff without paying?

There is a bit of unlocking and metaprogression, as well as difficulty levels (I made it to difficulty V or VI w/default character before deciding it was worth buying new classes).
Unlock new abilities and cards I think, as well as points you can spend via the start screen to increase characteristics/functionality.
Its definitely a trade off. It seems like phone games are DLC vs integrated ads vs microtransactions. For me I enjoyed getting a game and choosing to buy DLC once I rinsed it.
The different decks are all based off a straightforward theme (a counterspell deck, a 'tell spell to wait x turns and it does x amount of effect' deck, magic deck, equipables etc).

E: Slay the Spire is apparently in QA for mobile currently if people are patient + willing to pay monies.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

E: Slay the Spire is apparently in QA for mobile currently if people are patient + willing to pay monies.

Crossposting myself with the relevant tweet. I haven't been following super closely, so i don't know if there's a solid release date yet.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Ibblebibble posted:

How ok are you with gacha games and anime aesthetics? Girls Frontline and Azur Lane don't really have stamina systems like other gachas.

I've tried other games and while I really just want games to poke around in, Girls Frontline seems a bit more interesting and tactically involved. I thought it was as both anime and RealMoney-centric as FGO and others.

I just might check out GFL. Thanks!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Is girls frontline one of those games where you "date" your child soldiers to get their stats up?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Mr Hootington posted:

Is girls frontline one of those games where you "date" your child soldiers to get their stats up?

..no? You don't take them out on dates. I mean, you give them food-related gifts and some hearts pop up, and you can "Oath" them, which you can pretend is marriage but it's entirely unnecessary and just a cutscene of you giving them a ring and they're like "Neat, thanks" and nothing else is said about it.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

But that's the best part.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Mr Hootington posted:

No i just think you murder others with them while minimizing how often yours gets murdered. So it's okay.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Morter posted:

No i just think you murder others with them while minimizing how often yours gets murdered. So it's okay.

Oh no, you definitely 'date' them, there's a stat for how much they love you.

You can even 'marry' your child solders

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Aramoro posted:

Oh no, you definitely 'date' them, there's a stat for how much they love you.

You can even 'marry' your child solders

Oh man, you got me. Look at this super hot date I just went on guys!!! https://imgur.com/a/010Jmoq

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

New Leaf posted:

Oh man, you got me. Look at this super hot date I just went on guys!!! https://imgur.com/a/010Jmoq

One point away...

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
i think the worst part about that game is how all the ww2 german guns are basically in full nazi regalia

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I'm wildly uncomfortable.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

New Leaf posted:

..no? You don't take them out on dates. I mean, you give them food-related gifts and some hearts pop up, and you can "Oath" them, which you can pretend is marriage but it's entirely unnecessary and just a cutscene of you giving them a ring and they're like "Neat, thanks" and nothing else is said about it.

You were being serious with this post?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Azurlane was going to have a dating sim when the gacha game died before it turned wildly popular.

Where's the GFL dating sim is what I'm getting at.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
evergreen

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Shwqa posted:

I'm wildly uncomfortable.

Oh how I long for the halcyon days of Switch chat.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

MotU posted:

evergreen

Who would ever listen to a nipple centerist

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Anime is bad, folks.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

FredMSloniker posted:

Any suggestions for free games with no energy system or other reasons I couldn't just keep playing? Feel free to point me to another thread if the game's popular enough to merit one.

Granblue Fantasy technically has an energy system but you get so much free stamina refilling stuff that you'd have to try pretty drat hard to run out.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

New Leaf posted:

Child Bride Anime defender has logged on.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Are there any PC Android emulators out there that work well and also aren't bitcoin miners? I got Android Studio running but I've already found one game it wont run so I'm wondering if there isn't a better option out there. I really only want to run games so as long as it can do that I'm happy.

Bluestacks is the only one I've come across that doesn't seem outwardly shady but everything I've read is months or years old so I'm hoping for some other opinions.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Roid666 posted:

Much anticipated(!?) tower defence gacha Arknights is going live soon!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.YoStarEN.Arknights&hl=en

You can preload the game but the servers are not live yet.

As much as I don't care for Anime aesthetics in general...the game is enjoyable as I flounder through it. Good time waster

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
is kings raid even alive these days

i have no plans of playing it just wondered randomly because it's in the title and i remember this thread was really into it in the past but not anymore i guess

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

RottenK posted:

is kings raid even alive these days

i have no plans of playing it just wondered randomly because it's in the title and i remember this thread was really into it in the past but not anymore i guess

It's the gacha cycle,

A new game drops and we get pages of people discussing how to optimize your start by refilling until you get X

Then we get a steady trickle of "guys this isn't like all those other gachas it's a good one that doesn't want all my money"

And then it slowly trickles off as people hit the paywall

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran

Spaseman posted:

Are there any PC Android emulators out there that work well and also aren't bitcoin miners? I got Android Studio running but I've already found one game it wont run so I'm wondering if there isn't a better option out there. I really only want to run games so as long as it can do that I'm happy.

Bluestacks is the only one I've come across that doesn't seem outwardly shady but everything I've read is months or years old so I'm hoping for some other opinions.

The only other one I know of that has decent performance is Genymotion, that said I can't confirm it isn't going to mine some bitcoins or send your data to china in the background.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008
Where can I find a good introduction to gacha games? I've missed the train and I have no freaking idea what you guys talk about.

Estel
May 4, 2010

Spaseman posted:

I've used Memu for years and it has run everything without problems.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

DeadlyHalibut posted:

Where can I find a good introduction to gacha games? I've missed the train and I have no freaking idea what you guys talk about.

Next time you take a dump, look in the toilet before you flush. When you hit the plunger, hope an anime titty girl comes out. When it doesn't, keep taking obsessive dumps until you move to a different house and start over in a new bathroom.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jan 19, 2020

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Next time you take a dump, look in the toilet before you flush. When you hit the plunger, hope an anime titty girl comes out. When it doesn't, keep taking obsessive dumps until you move to a different house and start over in a new bathroom.

toilet paper, toilet water and hand soap are all 3 different currencies

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Also the guy in the stall next to you is on a gilded toilet and keeps making fun of your small turds

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

But that's how I post

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

DeadlyHalibut posted:

Gacha is a reference to Japanese " gacha machines" which are basically vending machine that features collectable toys. You put money in and get a random toy from the set. Some toys are rarer than others. This play into the human psyche that tends to fixate on random rewards more than constant rewards. Look up "skinner box" if you want a detailed study on it.

Gacha games are free to play games that use a similar mechanic. You draw a random character/equipment and hope you get the best one. Rarer stuff usually has the best stats or something unique about it. The drop rate are incredibly low. Usually hovering around 0.5% drop rate for the best stuff. And a pull can be as high as $5.

Most gacha games are RPGs where whoever has the highest numbers just wins. So you need those good characters to beat the hardest content or win at PvP. They are incredibly shallow games that are designed around being addicting. And unfortunately they are most profitable games so almodt every company is focusing on gacha mechanics.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

DeadlyHalibut posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3904387

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Holy poo poo thanks, thats more than enough information to stay away from this

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

DeadlyHalibut posted:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

DeadlyHalibut posted:

But you can reroll the same game repeatedly to get better anime ladies because this is a forgiving game with no paywall!