Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I like how their list of known issues then goes into 'work arounds' which is just one work around, and then another 20 bugs with no way to fix them lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Star Citizen : Yes
:smuggo:

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin

Dementropy posted:

"An extra static train can appear at Lorville and prevent the use of trains"

Haha how did they manage to pull that one off? Also I don't know their cities or whatnot well enough but aren't trains the only means of transportation in that area?

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

I believe there’s clipping too.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.
Tane

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

I can’t wait for physicalized tane.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

It's a neat trick to reduce the bug list by half, by turning the other half into the work arounds list.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Spiderdrake posted:

I got this image in my head of Chris Roberts sinking millions of dollars into an accurate simulation of the death of a spaceman in zero G where the rail gun perforates his bowels and he flies around with his detritus based propulsion system. Roberts just flapping his meaty paws describing how it "should" look and intern after intern quitting when he describes swimming in space.

I wonder if Chris has seriously asked around for zero-G mocap now that I think about it

Doubt it. CR has never understood zero gravity.

We saw him try to comprehend it when Richard "I'm just the creative director" Garriott, who has actually been in space, try to explain it.

And I'm pretty sure everybody has seen the "ship falls of runaway after being pushed off by space bulldozer in space" gif floating around. :killdozer:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:reddit: Prediction: If they implement the type of economy presented at CitizenCon 2019 and keep the current pay for ships policy, then the game is going to end up being a pay-to-enjoy disaster that is only fun for whale controlled organizations.

I realize this community recoils in horror whenever they hear the words pay to win and preach "there is no winning" so then lets call it pay to enjoy. With the way the economy has currently been explained there are going to be limited resources traded among the various planets with npcs doing a vast amount of the resource transport as they have been reported to outnumber players 9:1. Now at first it might seem that with npcs outnumbering players but such a high margin it might not matter if some people start the game with a massive ship advantage. However it has been stated that piracy along npc trade lines will be possible. So imagine day one of launch a whale comprised org decides to use their top of the line ships in order to completely take over some of the most lucrative trade paths with mass npc piracy. In theory a powerful organization could end up completely dominating the supply and demand of certain minerals and other goods, this would cause the price to skyrocket making anything that requires the monopolized goods or minerals out of reach for your average player.

If a system has a finite amount of resources and the game launches with a subset of players having a massive fleet advantage then you can basically guarantee that monopolies will quickly emerge and the players that haven't spent thousands of dollars on the game will be left with nothing but the scraps that the whale orgs decide they don't want.

"But you can earn all the ships with in game money, you will be able to compete eventually!!!"

Sure you can buy ships with in-game money but market price for goods will likely settle on whatever whale orgs are willing to pay for them which will only increase the grind required for non whales to catch up. If whales can and do creates monopolies in the way that I fear it will demolish new player progression. It could be years before the $60 dollar players get close to even the day one level of influence and power that whales will have.

TLDR: Imagine having a sandbox with a limited amount of sand. Player 1 starts with a shovel and player 2 starts with a excavator. The excavator player ends up digging up all the sand leaving nothing for Player 1.

I believe that whale orgs will have such a negative and disheartening effect on the economy that it will ruin the games initial launch and overall potential.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

peter gabriel posted:

Thanks all you rock :D

It'll be a while but I am in the queue or something now, I'll be press studding all kinds of crap to my head no doubt, I am thinking of balloons or kites or something

I hope everything goes well for you!! :ohdear:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I believe in you Beet Wagon! :patriot:

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Sum Mors posted:

what sense of reward do you get from Elite Dangerous (hereafter reffered to as ED for the sake of brevity) for grinding so long and hard?

I'm a little upset that after here, the poster only referred to Elite Dangerous once

bandaid.friend fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 22, 2020

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

!raffle

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Gothsheep posted:

Star Citizen Kill On Sight list:

Doors
That anti-air truck (Stay outside of 2km while killing)
Vic's Mom (Uncredited)
Anybody with an open box on their ship
Gary Oldman's huge lips

I'm still kind of new to the garbage fire. Am I forgetting anyone?

Don't forget Captain B'Tak. Otherwise, seems like a pretty comprehensive list. At least, that's how I see it.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Sum Mors posted:

<long Erectile: Dysfunction rant that should have been quoted>

They all hate E:D so much and it's hilarious. The Frontier forums are the same people yelling about the same levels of simulation/realism/whatever. If Elite ever implements spacelegs I am sure that they'll demand long 1:1 walks around massive space stations to sell goods or talk to factions and anything less is a slap in the face to the true fans. The only dividing line between the two groups is which space game they chose to get behind in 2012. If the SC people argued for the actual game instead of dreams.txt then they'd be screaming about how inferior Elite is for abstracting box collection and delivery.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Quavers posted:

:reddit: However it has been stated that

Oh, well then it must be true! Let's theorize!

That they take things CIG says at face value will always astound me.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Quavers posted:

:reddit: Maybe I'm just getting cranky in my old age, but...

...I'm getting tired of seeing posts and replies here and on Spectrum from people who obviously know less than nothing about large-scale project management, PR, software development, software testing, or running a business, going on and on about all of the things that CIG is doing "wrong" and SC would be so much better if CIG would just listen to them and their super easy/simple ideas.

I get that people have a significant emotional and financial investment in Star Citizen, but holy forking shirtballs, some of y'all need to calm the fork down and quit running off at the mouth about stuff you very obviously know nothing about.

CIG is giving us unparalleled levels of access to see the development process, and 99.9999999% of the stuff people insist are CIG doing something "wrong" are literally how things work in large-scale projects, software development, testing, and/or corporations.

Yes, it's normal for significant portions of a company's website to not get updated for a period of months or years, no matter how "easy" it would be to make the changes you want them to.

Yes, it's normal for a software bug to go un-fixed for months or years (or never actually get fixed at all.) And it's not because the developers are lazy, incompetent, or malicious. They're dealing with many millions of lines of code that in turn depend on tools and engines that in and of themselves will have bugs and unexpected behaviours. Sometimes finding and fixing a bug is easy. Sometimes it's difficult. Sometimes it's impossible.

Yes, it's normal for a company to adjust their priorities and staffing allocations regularly and is in no way an indication that they're inexperienced, don't know what they're doing, and/or doomed to fail.

Yes, it's normal for PR and Marketing to hype things that aren't ready to go, won't be ready to go any time soon, and when they're finally ready to go aren't like what was originally presented.

Yes, it's normal for customer support to get swamped at times and take a long while to get back to you. They're not deliberately ignoring you, and they're not trying to rip you off.

Yes, it's normal for corporations to face legal challenges (that's why any company of any decent size has a Legal Department), and no the Crytek lawsuit is not indicative of mismanagement at CIG, nor is it a particularly unusual case. Once a company reaches a certain size and/or revenue stream, they're going to get sued by stupid people making stupid claims, especially if those stupid people used to be business partners.

Yes, it's normal for one development team to not know the specifics of what another development team is working on. Knowing that stuff is the purview of Project Managers, not the code wranglers.

Yes, it's normal to release a build of the software for testing specific issues without telling the testers every specific thing that they're wanting to test, why they might be testing various features, what their plans are in relation to testing a given feature, or how they're specifically testing that feature. (CIG actually gives us more of this information than most developers usually give even their internal testing groups.)

Yes, it's normal for an alpha to break, run poorly, lack significant features and functionality, and lose features and functionality from update to update. That's literally what an alpha is. (Also, if you ever find yourself starting a sentence in a post or comment with, "I know this is an alpha, but...", stop right there and delete whatever you were going to type before you embarrass yourself by showing everyone that you don't, in fact, know that this is an alpha.)

And no, CIG does not owe you an apology simply because you don't know or understand any of the above.

/rant

:shepspends:

Yes, its all normal, absoloutely normal, nothing to see here.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Beet Wagon posted:

Lol I literally can't imagine anything more heart wrenchingly lame than having a "kill on sight" list for an mmo, with the possible exception of spending your free time thinking about the "kill on sight" list you're positive your enemies have.

In ED SDC used to run a kill on sight list for people they didn't like, carebears, and drum roll combat loggers.

That last one is especially amusing considering a combat logger will combat log as soon as you attack, further enraging the attacker into fits of apolexy, at least as i understand it from reading the ED combat logger subreddit.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
So it's so transparent that you have to be in the business to understand what they are doing?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fargin Icehole posted:

So it's so transparent that you have to be in the business to understand what they are doing?

But its never been done before!

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Mailer posted:

They all hate E:D so much and it's hilarious. The Frontier forums are the same people yelling about the same levels of simulation/realism/whatever. If Elite ever implements spacelegs I am sure that they'll demand long 1:1 walks around massive space stations to sell goods or talk to factions and anything less is a slap in the face to the true fans. The only dividing line between the two groups is which space game they chose to get behind in 2012. If the SC people argued for the actual game instead of dreams.txt then they'd be screaming about how inferior Elite is for abstracting box collection and delivery.

They do have a particular dislike for ED for sure, from the brown sea in a discussion about some poo poo, some people were comparing ED and SC so :

quote:

:reddit: : I think your point on Elite Dangerous varies by person.

Seems like quite a few think that its got a better loop (than SC) even right now, but really only if they get over the fact that it is star citizen.

They are weird there, don't go, it's very culty in an incredibly creepy sense. It's like they are all holding hands while brown nosing CR. They still haven't noticed the lack of 'G' from CI yet.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The Titanic posted:

Doubt it. CR has never understood zero gravity.
Right, but imagine what happens when they bring him Zero-G animations and he starts screaming they're unrealistic and he's going to space to prove what a zero-G poopman in space would look like.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Blue On Blue posted:

I like how their list of known issues then goes into 'work arounds' which is just one work around, and then another 20 bugs with no way to fix them lol
I don't think you understand proper list bullet points indentation.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
:pgabz:

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Pixelate posted:

Tales of Persistence

It's an Alpha, there are supposed to be bugs.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Gothsheep posted:

Star Citizen Kill On Sight list:

Doors
That anti-air truck (Stay outside of 2km while killing)
Vic's Mom (Uncredited)
Anybody with an open box on their ship
Gary Oldman's huge lips

I'm still kind of new to the garbage fire. Am I forgetting anyone?

Deadly Staph or Derek Smart. I can't remember the exact spelling.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Star Citizen?

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Colostomy Bag posted:

Hate crimes against a video game. What a time to be alive.

It's a joke. Mods did it for the lulz. I'm subscribed and it's still there behind the privacy lock.

Admiral Snackbar
Mar 13, 2006

OUR SNEEZE SHIELDS CANNOT REPEL A HUNGER OF THAT MAGNITUDE
Star Citizen: we entered each other. And exploded in glory.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
CHRRRRRIIIIIIIIISSSSS!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIGQSgifs6s

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

:reddit: posted:

So imagine day one of launch

lol ok

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sabreseven posted:

They do have a particular dislike for ED for sure, from the brown sea in a discussion about some poo poo, some people were comparing ED and SC so :

They are weird there, don't go, it's very culty in an incredibly creepy sense. It's like they are all holding hands while brown nosing CR. They still haven't noticed the lack of 'G' from CI yet.

You get a wide spread of opinions regarding ED from those that like it and simply see SC as another possible space game for them to enjoy, you get those who have played ED to death and want something different, you get those who are disillusioned with ED and hoping SC provides what they want, and then those who really don't like ED and somehow think SC is going to be everything that ED isn't.

The last seem to think by comparing SC to ED positively makes SC somehow good.

In the best case its like saying sitting in a bucket of poo poo is slightly better than sitting in a bucket of broken glass.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

:reddit:
The likely real reason your sub is closed is because there is some panic level steam cleaning going on behind the scenes because there are a lot of memes and threads discussing the matter and CryTek begging the court for a dismissal wasn't ever on you guys even most remote chance of an outcome.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Rather off-topic but RIP Terry Jones. :(

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It says two minute papers but all the videos are like 4 min long.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Quavers posted:

:reddit: Prediction: If they implement the type of economy presented at CitizenCon 2019 and keep the current pay for ships policy, then the game is going to end up being a pay-to-enjoy disaster that is only fun for whale controlled organizations.

I realize this community recoils in horror whenever they hear the words pay to win and preach "there is no winning" so then lets call it pay to enjoy. With the way the economy has currently been explained there are going to be limited resources traded among the various planets with npcs doing a vast amount of the resource transport as they have been reported to outnumber players 9:1. Now at first it might seem that with npcs outnumbering players but such a high margin it might not matter if some people start the game with a massive ship advantage. However it has been stated that piracy along npc trade lines will be possible. So imagine day one of launch a whale comprised org decides to use their top of the line ships in order to completely take over some of the most lucrative trade paths with mass npc piracy. In theory a powerful organization could end up completely dominating the supply and demand of certain minerals and other goods, this would cause the price to skyrocket making anything that requires the monopolized goods or minerals out of reach for your average player.

If a system has a finite amount of resources and the game launches with a subset of players having a massive fleet advantage then you can basically guarantee that monopolies will quickly emerge and the players that haven't spent thousands of dollars on the game will be left with nothing but the scraps that the whale orgs decide they don't want.

"But you can earn all the ships with in game money, you will be able to compete eventually!!!"

Sure you can buy ships with in-game money but market price for goods will likely settle on whatever whale orgs are willing to pay for them which will only increase the grind required for non whales to catch up. If whales can and do creates monopolies in the way that I fear it will demolish new player progression. It could be years before the $60 dollar players get close to even the day one level of influence and power that whales will have.

TLDR: Imagine having a sandbox with a limited amount of sand. Player 1 starts with a shovel and player 2 starts with a excavator. The excavator player ends up digging up all the sand leaving nothing for Player 1.

I believe that whale orgs will have such a negative and disheartening effect on the economy that it will ruin the games initial launch and overall potential.

This is a lot of words to talk about a game that is never going to release or enjoy the commercial success they would if they did.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Dementropy posted:

:reddit:
The likely real reason your sub is closed is because there is some panic level steam cleaning going on behind the scenes because there are a lot of memes and threads discussing the matter and CryTek begging the court for a dismissal wasn't ever on you guys even most remote chance of an outcome.

LMAO that those idiots think this hard about that sub.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I am glad such old classics get redone in modern games!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5c_MEs9mo

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Early days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

DapperDon posted:

This is a lot of words to talk about a game that is never going to release or enjoy the commercial success they would if they did.

It's all theory; that's what kills me every time. A few handfuls of "what CIG said" which means less than nothing, and the rest is what they imagine. This is in every gaming genre, but it seems it's much more out of control in space games. Every time a space game is in development (or CIG's equivalent) the forums are filled to the brim with the exact same bullshit. The Jumpgate forums were absolutely full of this crap, and that was right up until, and slightly past, they killed the game. They weren't even close to a game (although still farther along than CIG) and it was post after post of how things would "work" regarding nonexistent systems.

IF any part of this shitshow ever sees daylight, it's going to be a nonstop ideological war between the people playing "right" (which means people who are playing the game within their mental boundaries of how it should work, like little girls playing house with their dolls) and those playing the game they're sitting in front of (which means they're going to learn the reality of the system and game it where possible.)

That ecosystem has played out countless times over the years, and the story never changes. The second group entirely dominates the first group, the first group bitches to the developers to make changes to the game code to make sure things swing their way because they're playing "right," the result is the game getting worse and worse until it's a loving joyless slog. The second group moves onto something fun, and the first group festers in the decaying remains for a few years. First they rejoice that the other group left, then they bitch that the game sucks now and the second group ruined it, then they go scouring the web for their new promised land, where the cycle will repeat.

There is literally no angle to approach Star Citizen from that isn't a vector on the path to failure.