Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Nothing confirms the ineptitude of this government like Grant Shapps saying on record he reckons the £500m Beeching fund will be sufficient to re-open 'a dozen' lines when anyone with any industry knowledge can tell you it wouldn't pay for one and a half lines, never mind the other issues like rolling stock, stabling etc arising from reopening those lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It me, the person who wears a ballgown and flowers while harassing sheep in the forest, where sheep live.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

OwlFancier posted:

It me, the person who wears a ballgown and flowers while harassing sheep in the forest, where sheep live.

...David Cameron?

e I take it back Davey C couldn't pull off a ballgown. Maybe the flowers.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

More importantly, why didn't they make it base 28, to include the sheep's toes?

If you've only got one sheep to count i don't think it matters what base you're working in

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Speaking of, Limmy talking about Glinner being a oval office and UBI:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-LZr4-4vI8

Who would have thought that Glinner doesn't want workers to control the means of production :thunk:

I got about 10 mins in and gave up. Was he really hungover or something I couldn't even figure out what point he was trying to make?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesla was right posted:

I think that's less representative of reality, and more representative of artists being horny for shepherdess feet.
One of the first fetishes to have been lost to modernity. :(

OwlFancier posted:

Yes, you've told us about your walks.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

If you've only got one sheep to count i don't think it matters what base you're working in
You always have only one sheep when counting, which is the sheep that you're counting at that particular time, so you can use the toes of that sheep.

It's Turing/von Neumann architecture for sheperdry.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Guavanaut posted:

Does this mean that fine art was lying to me all along?

More importantly, why didn't they make it base 28, to include the sheep's toes?

Easy.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Tesla was right posted:

I think that's less representative of reality, and more representative of artists being horny for shepherdess feet.

Somewhere, a finger on a monkey's paw curls, and Quentin Tarantino plans his next film.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'd like to see Tarantino do a pastoral themed work. Even if that means that half of it is

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Pistol_Pete posted:

Easy.

I think you'll find there's a lot more sheep than that in that second picture.

You'd make a poo poo shepherd.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Tesla was right posted:

This standard of beauty is unrealistic. It was the milk maids that were beautiful because they all got cowpox instead of small pox.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

kecske posted:

hi thread, I'm here to pick some brains.

I live in a 10 year old apartment block in london, built as part of a complex of 3 identical blocks arranged in a triangle with a shared green space in the middle. Some are private, some are shared ownership with a housing association. The private units come up for sale now and then, all within a similar price band which you'd expect given that the flats are all identical (except for a handful of disabled access units with different layouts on the ground floors of each building). But in the last year or so theres been a handful pop up for sale way waaaaaay above the going rate, the last was almost 200k more. They only appear on the estate agents page for a few days at most at then they're gone. Is there some kind of money laundering thing going on or is it something more mundane? This is an old established residential area, they dont feel like the kind of places you see bought and sold as investment units.

I would hazard buy to let sales. It's been a plague here in Edinburgh. A flat comes up and a cash buyer will be offering 30% over the home valuation report and it'll close in a week. Now it's slightly different in England because you did not want my fabulous Property Information Pack* so there's no public home valuation report to base you prices off so the prices just start out higher out of the gate.

*I'm not suggesting England didn't want the PIP's because I did it but rather because ya all backwards down there.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Nothing confirms the ineptitude of this government like Grant Shapps saying on record he reckons the £500m Beeching fund will be sufficient to re-open 'a dozen' lines when anyone with any industry knowledge can tell you it wouldn't pay for one and a half lines, never mind the other issues like rolling stock, stabling etc arising from reopening those lines.

I think I said as much in the thread when that fund was still announced.

It really is pure Johnson/Conservatives. The Beeching Cuts are one of those things where there's a sort of national feeling of a wrong being done, or a mistake being made (regardless of the realities or practicalities of the time), especially among the Conservatives' core voters of elderly and rural people.

And there's no denying that a proper DfT-level review of which lines could and should be opened would be worthwhile. And actually reviving a lot of the closed lines would be a good thing...except it would have to be part of a multi-tens-of-billions-of-pounds national railway renewal scheme to not only reinstate the branch and regional lines that Beeching closed but to upgrade swathes of the existing network to cope with the new traffic flows and to provide the rolling stock and so on. And that's on top of all the scope for making other much-needed improvements to the rail system we already have.

And that's why no major party has put any sort of 'reversing Beeching' policy in their manifesto before - because it's mostly an unachievable pipedream that may be popular with voters in a sense of 'if you directly ask them if they want their local branch railway reinstated they'll say yes' but no one would actually support or give political priority to a real-world policy on the matter.

Except now we live in a time when the Tories can just stick a 'large' amount of money (and £500 million is a lot in anyone's books, it's just a pittance in railway rebuilding terms), say they're going to 'undo the Beeching Axe' and all the old folk in Warwickshire who never used the train when they had one but have overwritten their memories of 1960s BR with "Oh, Doctor Beeching!" episodes think it sounds like a great idea and BORIS is the first to suggest it because he's the People's Prime Minister!

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Fudge post!

Orders are now open for Valentines Day, with several exciting new flavours!

Orders will be open until midnight on Saturday 08/02 and shipped out first class on Wednesday 12/02 to ensure they arrive in time for the special day :)

Our flavours this month are:

Original vanilla: needs no introduction!

Milk chocolate: now even chocolatier (is that a word? It is now!)

Sea salt: to make your tastebuds weep with delight

And two new flavours!

Veganilla: our first completely vegan fudge! Made with coconut and oat milks, this has a distinctive and delicious flavour of its own.

Billionaire’s shortbread: A popular limited release last month, now on general sale! Rich, satisfying and as dense as the heart of a dying star this melds together vanilla fudge, milk chocolate and crushed shortbread biscuits. Not to be missed!

This month’s goon flavour is also vegan!

Vegan Scofflaw: Vegan vanilla fudge coupled with delicious Biscoff caramel biscuits for a guilt free treat which tastes so good it’s criminal!

We also have limited stocks of Unicorn Barf, Strawberries and Cream and malted milk ball- when they’re gone they’re gone!

All fudge costs £3.50 per 100g bag, or £15 for a five bag selection box. Shipping costs vary and are calaculated per order, with a 500g box costing £3.55 to ship.

As always, to order please send either a pm here or an email to Fudjit.orders@gmail.com.

Make it an especially sweet Valentine’s Day for someone special! (And of course, that special person can be you!)

Edit: strawberries and cream now all gone!

Camrath fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jan 29, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Anyone caught up in the Egyptian revolution will know what that feels like.
British Embassy = Chocolate Teapots

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

BalloonFish posted:

Except now we live in a time when the Tories can just stick a 'large' amount of money (and £500 million is a lot in anyone's books, it's just a pittance in railway rebuilding terms), say they're going to 'undo the Beeching Axe' and all the old folk in Warwickshire who never used the train when they had one but have overwritten their memories of 1960s BR with "Oh, Doctor Beeching!" episodes think it sounds like a great idea and BORIS is the first to suggest it because he's the People's Prime Minister!

Reopening the Borders Railway cost £353 Million, and that's a pretty short stretch, 50km in total.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Aramoro posted:

Reopening the Borders Railway cost £353 Million, and that's a pretty short stretch, 50km in total.

Did they compulsory purchase the land that had presumably been sold when the line closed?
I think some people (who should know better with their Oxbridge PPE degrees) think all you have to do is lay down a few tracks like a giant railway set, chuck up a few signals and divert a few 2-car trains up there.

To reopen the 6000 miles of Beeching cuts would require acquisition of approx 100000 hectares - approx quarter million acres - of land (allowing length of rail and average of 100m width to cover rail, embankments, servicing yards, platforms etc) and not sure what land values in rural Wales are but using 1.1 acres of grazing land in Llanelli at £5k as a guide, we're looking at £1.1bn just to get the land before anything else.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Are you really committed to building a model railway set if you don't do a hundred model eminent domain disputes before you lay down the first track?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol at the foreign office saying "want to be safe? ruin your marriage. oh, that's no good? then die bitch"

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Given your average model train enthusiast I think that consists of arguing with their wife over whether they can use the spare room.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

mrpwase posted:

Given your average model train enthusiast I think that consists of arguing with their wife over whether they can use the spare room.

My parents are an example of this. When they redid one of their homes (yes, wall, I know) my dad managed to wangle getting an entire section of the top floor for his trains.

And to be fair it’s a pretty amazing setup combining British scenery, a Eurostar link and a town in Alsace (which even features 5mm high French ladies of the night).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bold of you to assume a wife's in the picture.

Although I suppose late-onset trainbrain could cause such a scenario.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

mrpwase posted:

A model-railway enthusiast friend of mine's wife went away for a few days and when she came back, the entire house was full of his model railway. There's a youtube video of it, but it would doxx me to share it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesla was right posted:

horny for shepherdess feet

Camrath posted:

5mm high French ladies of the night
Extremely niche fetishes itt 2day.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Now I'm imagining a 5m tall French lady.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Camrath posted:

My parents are an example of this. When they redid one of their homes (yes, wall, I know) my dad managed to wangle getting an entire section of the top floor for his trains.

And to be fair it’s a pretty amazing setup combining British scenery, a Eurostar link and a town in Alsace (which even features 5mm high French ladies of the night).

Is your dad Rod Stewart?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

A model-railway enthusiast friend of mine's wife went away for a few days and when she came back, the entire house was full of his model railway. There's a youtube video of it, but it would doxx me to share it.

Is your friend Rod Stewart and/or Camrath's dad?

Guavanaut posted:

Extremely niche fetishes itt 2day.

Is your extremely niche fetish Rod Stewart?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

Zut alors!

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

sebzilla posted:

Is your dad Rod Stewart?

No, though over Christmas he did make me listen to an entire Rod Stewart album for the first time in my life.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sebzilla posted:

Is your extremely niche fetish Rod Stewart?
Yes, specifically a version of Rod and Emu where Rod Hull is replaced with Rod Stewart and Emu is Orville the Duck.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mind you "giantess" is literally a common fetish, at least according to twitter users liking horny tweets that then appear in my timeline.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Which I then click like on myself.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Yes, specifically a version of Rod and Emu where Rod Hull is replaced with Rod Stewart and Emu is Orville the Duck.

This is my Rod Stewart fetish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgOPgkrXz-c

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

Mind you "giantess" is literally a common fetish, at least according to twitter users liking horny tweets that then appear in my timeline.

Do you have an account that collates the horny tweets so that I may peruse also?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

Keep your hands where we can see them, thanks.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Aramoro posted:

I would hazard buy to let sales. It's been a plague here in Edinburgh. A flat comes up and a cash buyer will be offering 30% over the home valuation report and it'll close in a week. Now it's slightly different in England because you did not want my fabulous Property Information Pack* so there's no public home valuation report to base you prices off so the prices just start out higher out of the gate.

*I'm not suggesting England didn't want the PIP's because I did it but rather because ya all backwards down there.

Surely it's more likely to be buy-to-leave, in London? You get more value out of a flat by just leaving it empty and letting its value increase, than you do by letting it out, which comes with the added expenses of wear and tear, appointing agents, etc etc.

Or money laundering. Or both.

London is full of empty property, also, homeless people.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
As today seems to be Horny Day in the UKMT:

https://twitter.com/andyparmo/status/1222069120277065728

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
DFT OLR shell company just changed it's name to Northern Trains Ltd according to Companies House.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Camrath posted:

No, though over Christmas he did make me listen to an entire Rod Stewart album for the first time in my life.

He's a bit of a joke now, but in fairness some of his early stuff is amazing

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

I’m near three grand deep in an overdraft every time it rolls to the week before payday so I can’t wait for the bank to absolutely gently caress me rotten, thanks! Very cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

He's a bit of a joke now, but in fairness some of his early stuff is amazing

Yeah, not the sort of stuff I'd listen to personally (literal dadrock), but it certainly wasn't 'bad' for the most part.