Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Slavvy posted:

you probably already know that a cpu fan can't cool a rectifier, that running the AC coils from an alternator straight to a rectifier doesn't work

In unrelated news, I have to undo some mods I put in, tomorrow...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
What even is an air conditioning coil doing on a motorcycle.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Rolo posted:

:crossarms:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rolo posted:

:perfect:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Rolo posted:

I was about to make an “it’s a goldwing so of course it has AC” joke but I actually had to stop to look it up

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
I'm a bioengineer, so I'm probably not gonna try to mod anything too hard, but I don't really get the rectifier thing. Isn't that literally how that works? Three (or two or one or whatever) phases off the alternator, goes to a triple diode bridge thingie, then a bunch of nonsense to smooth it like capacitors/inductors, then battery?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sure. But how does the sparky juice get into the alternator spinny bit? By means of a voltage regulator hey hello that sounds familiar, ergo it must be the same as the regulator part of a rectifier! So with a little engineering we feed the 12v charging circuit into the coils, so simple!

In reality the regulator on the alternator pushes out a much lower voltage than the charging system output so bad things start to happen very quickly, happily in this case the alternator drive had a built in weakpoint that melted and presumably stopped the fire.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Sure. But how does the sparky juice get into the alternator spinny bit? By means of a voltage regulator hey hello that sounds familiar, ergo it must be the same as the regulator part of a rectifier! So with a little engineering we feed the 12v charging circuit into the coils, so simple!

In reality the regulator on the alternator pushes out a much lower voltage than the charging system output so bad things start to happen very quickly, happily in this case the alternator drive had a built in weakpoint that melted and presumably stopped the fire.

lol, oh yeah, gotcha. Ok back to my project of how to improve my swingarm by replacing it with home depot lawn chair parts. WHAT COULD GO WRONG?

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Razzled posted:

I mostly spooked myself reading through this website: https://790adventure.net/category/early-faults/ Though a lot of the issues do not seem that bad, I just wonder how many of them have been fixed in the factory at this point in the second year run of production

Moisture in the dash, both my KTM bikes have had that issue too, they don't really learn from their mistakes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

High Protein posted:

Moisture in the dash, both my KTM bikes have had that issue too, they don't really learn from their mistakes.

Sure they do: they make ever newer, more sophisticated mistakes.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
My KTM had dash in it's dash. They designed it such that the circuit board would eat itself during riding and short out the whole thing with the dust. Had to open it up and meticulously clean it every few months.

What a piece of poo poo.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Coydog posted:

My KTM had dash in it's dash. They designed it such that the circuit board would eat itself during riding and short out the whole thing with the dust. Had to open it up and meticulously clean it every few months.

What a piece of poo poo.

I'd already had that dash replaced once under warranty for that issue, too

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I never touched a KTM in my life, but I now have very strong opinions of their entire lineup, thanks to this thread.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

What a piece of poo poo.

part of the reason why i avoided the 990r was because of that loving cluster. gently caress those things.

Nitrox posted:

I never touched a KTM in my life, but I now have very strong opinions of their entire lineup, thanks to this thread.

buy a dr650

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
People get a KTM because "None of the other manufactures make anything like this specs wise", like I did. Then they get a KTM and realize why none of the other manufactures make bikes like that.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

People get a KTM because "None of the other manufactures make anything like this specs wise", like I did. Then they get a KTM and realize why none of the other manufactures make bikes like that.

so hyper focused on spreadsheet racing specs they forgot to finish the platform much less QA test the loving thing.

I get that poo poo breaks and wears out. But uhh guys, clusters aren't a wear item. Clutches shouldn't be blowing on brand new bikes
Headlights that stick on and will kill the battery if you shut the key off while rolling. what in the actual gently caress

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

cursedshitbox posted:

so hyper focused on spreadsheet racing specs they forgot to finish the platform much less QA test the loving thing.

I get that poo poo breaks and wears out. But uhh guys, clusters aren't a wear item. Clutches shouldn't be blowing on brand new bikes
Headlights that stick on and will kill the battery if you shut the key off while rolling. what in the actual gently caress

lol and this is coming from a guy who is also enthusiastic about his ktm

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

cursedshitbox posted:

never had any issues with mine outside a plugged fuel filter in the 18000mi I have on mine dailying it :shrug:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
yea the clutch on mine is at about 50% life with a hair under 75 thousand miles. it's the early basket that's prone to shattering as well. If it broke tomorrow I wouldn't be mad.
stator, lovely chinesium fuel pump, carb o-rings, and a silicone drysump return hose here. Got 99 problems but the headlight I designed and built ain' one.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

lol and this is coming from a guy who is also enthusiastic about his ktm

I'll die on that hill too

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The people who genuinely love and understand any given unusual type of bike will be the first to tell you it's probably a piece of poo poo, I've found. You simply can't have genuine understanding and maintain the illusion that x bike is the bestest in the world.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

The people who genuinely love and understand any given unusual type of bike will be the first to tell you it's probably a piece of poo poo, I've found. You simply can't have genuine understanding and maintain the illusion that x bike is the bestest in the world.

I miss the days of clutchpuck’s ulysses.

But yeah, that’s the drat truth. I really loved my XJ600 up until I was ready to move to a different kind of riding. It’s not a really interesting bike, not much power, lovely stock suspension, irritating carb design, just not real great at anything. But I knew that thing inside and out and had a very enjoyable run with it all around.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 3, 2020

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
The clutch problems on the 790 read like people trying to ride these bikes (which let's be honest, are still just street bikes) like a dirt bike with the clutch half in all the time. Just came off more like rider error, but maybe I am just hoping that is the case

I feel like it would be a much wider problem if it was something wrong mechanically with the way the clutch was built/engineered.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Razzled posted:

The clutch problems on the 790 read like people trying to ride these bikes (which let's be honest, are still just street bikes) like a dirt bike with the clutch half in all the time. Just came off more like rider error, but maybe I am just hoping that is the case

I feel like it would be a much wider problem if it was something wrong mechanically with the way the clutch was built/engineered.

100%

(old) people are not used to traction control and attempt to fight it and then end up destroying their clutches. I would not fret about it as I have not seen any parts revisions come up just yet

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

right arm posted:

100%

(old) people are not used to traction control and attempt to fight it and then end up destroying their clutches. I would not fret about it as I have not seen any parts revisions come up just yet

an HD dealer popped up that they have an '18 1290 adv r TKC for 11k lol :911:

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Razzled posted:

an HD dealer popped up that they have an '18 1290 adv r TKC for 11k lol :911:

:henget:

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Slavvy posted:

Sorry I'm still confused by this and I'm genuinely curious because I'm about to start a fire on my XR600R by wiring LED turn signals into it.

Slavvy posted:

But how does the sparky juice get into the alternator spinny bit?

What does this mean? By alternator spinny bit I'm assuming you mean the rotor on an alternator? Why would current be going into it? The alternator would be attached to the crankshaft and the only interaction it could have with the electrical circuit is that it's part of chassis ground, but no current should flow through it.

Slavvy posted:

we feed the 12v charging circuit into the coils, so simple!

So the rotor in the alternator induces AC power on the stator (which I think you're calling the coils here because stators are basically just a bunch of windings of wire). How/why would you feed DC 12V back into something that generates AC?

Slavvy posted:

So ignoring my confusion with the previous paragraph, what you're describing here sounds like two DC sources with different voltages driving the same load, which I agree is bad. The lower voltage source (alternator in this case) would also become a load with a tiny resistance (specifically for this case it has low resistance, but you can have voltage/current sources with high/low resistances depending on architecture) and a voltage drop equal to its output DC voltage, which basically means a huge rear end current going through it and causing it to melt as you described.

Again, I'm actually curious. Not trying to be snarky or anything, I am an electrical engineer but my focus wasn't on power electronics. I've only futzed with power systems on dirt bikes with no street legal bits which seem simple enough.

You can also say "shut up nerd", that's an acceptable answer too.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You're starting with a false assumption - on an alternator, at least on a gsxr1100 alternator, the spinny bit is a powered coil, like a starter motor surrounded by a stator. The bike normally has no RR, instead the voltage is regulated at the source by controlling the field strength in the rotor with a tiny regulator inside the alternator, the voltage put out by said regulator is a lot less than 12v because of reasons involving maths too tedious for me but it's still DC. Carbon brushes carry the juice to the rotor, the coils in the alternator housing work as normal, there are no permanent magnets.

What Genius Engineer, esq, decided to do when the little regulator hosed out, rather than buying a new one for $60: stick a normal generic RR under the seat, bypass the rectifier bridge and run the 3 AC coil wires into the RR AC feeds, run the rotor field coil wire directly to the general 12v system. I don't know exactly what happens when you do this, but I do know the alternator gets so hot the rubber drive shaft damper melts. At this point he realised that he might not know everything but, still certain he knows most things, decided to screw a cpu fan to the rectifier. Strangely, this didn't fix the problem.

Words and knowing what they mean are important, but knowing wtf you're looking at more so.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Thanks for the explanation! The GSXR1100 system you describe sounds kinda like the "field controlled generator system" described in this article:

https://www.electrosport.com/pages/technical-resources-how-motorcycle-charging-system-works

I haven't run into a system like this yet, because again simple dirt bikes with no battery. I probably would've made the same mistake but I think I'd have backed off when I saw my rectifier dumping a shitload of power as heat.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's how car alternators have worked for decades, they only recently switched to using a permanent magnet rotor. Normal bike charging systems are super primitive by comparison, but I think having a stator you can gently caress about with/delete is much better than a heavy power-sapping lump permanently affixed to the engine. Otoh an alternator makes a shitload more current with a lot less effort. Probably why only big dad bikes have them.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

It's how car alternators have worked for decades, they only recently switched to using a permanent magnet rotor. Normal bike charging systems are super primitive by comparison, but I think having a stator you can gently caress about with/delete is much better than a heavy power-sapping lump permanently affixed to the engine. Otoh an alternator makes a shitload more current with a lot less effort. Probably why only big dad bikes have them.

So - just to make sure my Italian-bike-addled mind is getting this - presumably the idea is that instead of dumping excess juice as heat through the reg/rec when you're at high engine speeds and low electrical load, you just lower the power going to the coils and thereby the amount of current the alternator is generating?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yup. A normal bike charging system is really just a really, really crude alternator that's been exploded and redistributed around the bike.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
Bit more of a long term thing (probably around September) but I'm currently thinking of buying either a BMW F800s or F800GT for touring next summer season (NZ). I really like the design, they're very affordable, and they all seem to come with a full set factory of panniers and topbox. Any advice against?
Reason I'm not getting a GS is that 99.9% of the routes I've got in mind are on sealed road + GSs command more of a premium.

Would get a V-Strom, but as much as I'm frothing for the 2020 1050XT (huge fan of the square-headlight Katanas) I do not like the like previous models. Also they command the same premium as a comparable GS.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jomo posted:

Bit more of a long term thing (probably around September) but I'm currently thinking of buying either a BMW F800s or F800GT for touring next summer season (NZ). I really like the design, they're very affordable, and they all seem to come with a full set factory of panniers and topbox. Any advice against?
Reason I'm not getting a GS is that 99.9% of the routes I've got in mind are on sealed road + GSs command more of a premium.

Would get a V-Strom, but as much as I'm frothing for the 2020 1050XT (huge fan of the square-headlight Katanas) I do not like the like previous models. Also they command the same premium as a comparable GS.

Are you thinking of buying one in NZ? Be careful, dealers loooove to import garbage JDM BMW's, do a Dulux resto and retail them for similar prices to NZ market bikes. BMW dealers are not an exception to this but they do it a lot less.

Sounds like you want a versys/Strom tbh.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Are you thinking of buying one in NZ? Be careful, dealers loooove to import garbage JDM BMW's, do a Dulux resto and retail them for similar prices to NZ market bikes. BMW dealers are not an exception to this but they do it a lot less.

Sounds like you want a versys/Strom tbh.

Yea I live here, so will be buying private instead of arriving fresh-faced and rushing off to the nearest dealer like I've heard some moto travels do.

Did some googling to find out they make a Versys 650 model; always assumed the 300 was the only one in the range. Will keep an eye out for them on trademe and the facebook pages.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Versus goes up to 1000. May or may not be available in your market

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jomo posted:

Yea I live here, so will be buying private instead of arriving fresh-faced and rushing off to the nearest dealer like I've heard some moto travels do.

Did some googling to find out they make a Versys 650 model; always assumed the 300 was the only one in the range. Will keep an eye out for them on trademe and the facebook pages.

Avoid. They're soul destroyinly dull. At least with a BMW p-twin you can try to convince yourself it must be ok because it's a BMW and cost more. The versys 650 is like eating well done unseasoned discount steak and telling yourself "at least it was cheap!" with every unappetizing mouthful.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Although I am a noted not-liker of the Versys 650, the Versys 1000 is apparently an off-road Ninja 1000 and owns quite a bit.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i'll believe it when i see it. i have seen 1290s, 1190s, 990s, africa twins, gs1200s, super teneres and never once seen a versys 1000 at an offroad race/event

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Razzled posted:

i'll believe it when i see it. i have seen 1290s, 1190s, 990s, africa twins, gs1200s, super teneres and never once seen a versys 1000 at an offroad race/event

It was too far out front?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Although I am a noted not-liker of the Versys 650, the Versys 1000 is apparently an off-road Ninja 1000 and owns quite a bit.

What's the general opinion on the V-Strom 650? I hear great praise for the SV650 and they share a similar engine.