Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Freaking Crumbum posted:

if you own a business but you've never spoken to trump personally at a manhattan penthouse party, he doesn't give a poo poo about you and his policies are not intended to benefit you. doesn't stop every dude who is "CEO" of his own business employing 5 total people from acting like they're his best personal friend, but it does make their inevitable flaming tailspin hilarious to watch

Florida has the most "CEOs" per capita of any state. Therefore Florida is a very entrepreneurial state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

FMguru posted:

https://twitter.com/ErikLoomis/status/1228883855639240705

Veteran CBP agent discovers that he's not actually a citizen, may be chucked out of CBP (and USA) just before his retirement arrives.

LOL.

this is quality, 5-star schadenfreude

doingitwrong posted:

Let's not let this steel mill story overshadow the food stamps guy unironically using GEOTUS in place of POTUS.

On Presidents' Day

what does GEOTUS stand for?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

this is quality, 5-star schadenfreude

Can't make up my mind if that story is more hilarious/sad than the Chaldean Iraqis for Trump story.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mr Interweb posted:

what does GEOTUS stand for?
God Emperor of the USA.

It's a Warhammer 40K reference (which is itself cribbed from the Dune novels)

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

FMguru posted:

God Emperor of the USA.

Heresy!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

FMguru posted:

God Emperor of the USA.

ah of course. ugh

etalian posted:

Can't make up my mind if that story is more hilarious/sad than the Chaldean Iraqis for Trump story.

quote:

Rodriguez joined the Navy in 1992. As a recruit, he cleaned floors and toilets, cooked, and drove a bus. Visiting his parents in Mexico, he wore his uniform. They didn’t say they were proud, but the looks on their faces made him feel as though growing up in Texas really had been worthwhile. And whenever he headed back across the border in uniform, he approached the agents on the bridge and thought: Now they're going to have to accept me as an American.

i think i'm going to have to give it to this guy :lol:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Leto II (the titular god-emperor) was a grotesque and massively obese human/worm hybrid who could barely move around unless he was sitting his customized heavy-duty wheelchair/cart.

So, really, no comparison to Trmpu

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

FMguru posted:

Leto II (the titular god-emperor) was a grotesque and massively obese human/worm hybrid who could barely move around unless he was sitting his customized heavy-duty wheelchair/cart.

So, really, no comparison to Trmpu

if only trump wore hearing aids he'd have understood clearly what was meant by the golden path

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

so many :kiss: moments in here:

quote:

Former colleagues who noticed Rodriguez’s absence but were not privy to the details of his case figured that he’d been fired for corruption. He’s always been “chueco,” a retired agent named John Garcia told me he overheard someone say at work. Crooked. Just as Rodriguez had once cut ties with his undocumented family members, agents began to avoid eye contact when they saw him in public, at restaurants or the grocery store. “They treat him like he's a pariah,” Anita told me.

womp womp

quote:

He expected no special treatment, just the pension, health benefits, and safety from deportation he felt he’d earned through his nearly two decades at CBP.

oh IS THAT ALL?

quote:

Rodriguez says he can now see the impacts of immigration enforcement that he once preferred to leave unexamined. “I can relate to people who I turned back, people that I deported,” he said. “They call it karma.”

drat right, BITCH

quote:

Still, he doesn’t regret his service, and distinguishes himself from other unauthorized immigrants. “There are a lot of people trying to do it the easier way,” he told me. “I just found out, and I’m trying to do it correctly.”

OF COURSE

quote:

If deported, he would live on family property in Tamaulipas. The State Department’s “Do not travel” warning to U.S. citizens says of the area: “Murder, armed robbery, carjacking, kidnapping, extortion, and sexual assault [are] common along the northern border.” As an agent, Rodriguez had put traffickers in jail, and his face is widely recognizable from his years on the bridge. “I don’t know how long I can survive,” he told me.

drat, sucks to hear fella

quote:

Despite those risks, Rodriguez dismissed the idea that he should apply for asylum—a legal pathway to U.S. residence that the Trump administration has sought to eradicate, claiming it is rife with fraud. “I'm not going to do it that way. I'd rather get deported,” Rodriguez said. “I'm going to practice what I preach.”

i mean, i guess that's somewhat admirable for an undocumented chud

quote:

Still, Rodriguez held out hope that he could convince the agency to reverse its decision. Immigration lawyers told me, however, that federal officials are granting fewer exceptions across the board. “Apply the right laws, and apply the right rules,” Rodriguez told me. He believed the agency was singling him out unfairly. “Treat me the same—that’s all I want.” His problem might be that it already is.

beautiful way to end it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Yeah somebody find the quote about this from that Kansas lady in the classic story from years ago.

quote:

“I’m not ready to give up. I’m a hard worker,” [Charmaine] says, before breaking down in tears. She’s been taking anti-depressants for the first time in her life. “I’ve worked 30-some years and paid my dues, and here I can’t get any help? And all these years that people get food stamps and medical cards for their children, I helped pay for that. So what about me? What did all my hard work get me?”

quote:

When Mike got laid off, they assumed Martha could get Medicaid. And that would have been true if Kansas’ political leaders had not rejected expansion. But the part-time gigs Mike had cobbled together made them a few pennies too rich under Kansas’ current tight eligibility rules. “We probably had $1,000 a month coming in,” Martha says. “I couldn’t imagine that being too much, but that’s what they said.”

Martha’s no longer sure what to think about the safety-net programs she’d assumed were available. “We’ve always taken care of ourselves, and the one time we needed them, we weren’t able to use them.” She still agrees with Brownback that jobs are the best route to insurance, but Medicaid expansion is now an open question. “Sometimes the income isn’t enough to support their family and pay for insurance. So I think Kansas could let a few more people come in.”

https://www.thenation.com/article/archive/life-and-death-red-america/

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

etalian posted:

The Rodriguez story probably has more volume and sheer hilarity, but this sentence from the Chaldean story is absolutely stellar:

quote:

"She heard the sound of her dad cursing in Aramaic before the line went dead."

That could be the final line in some tale of cosmic horror and existential depredation.

Chills.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

FMguru posted:

Veteran CBP agent discovers that he's not actually a citizen, may be chucked out of CBP (and USA) just before his retirement arrives.

LOL.
i love it. why is his son hosed tho, his wife's a citizen and he was born in the US so? i only listened to the This American Life on this clown

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

FMguru posted:

LOL.

our kapos literally never made it off the trains to the camps. see you on the news, motherfucker

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Relin posted:

i love it. why is his son hosed tho, his wife's a citizen and he was born in the US so? i only listened to the This American Life on this clown

His ex-wife is the mother of his child, and she was not a citizen. And his son was born in Mexico and only got that child-of-an-american citizenship.

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

Relin posted:

quote:

In 1990, Rodriguez’s first wife, who was a Mexican citizen, gave birth to Raul Jr. in Matamoros.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
probably shouldnt have knocked up a foreigner but that's too bad, unless jr. is a chud too

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Relin posted:

probably shouldnt have knocked up a foreigner but that's too bad, unless jr. is a chud too

he suspended his application to the cbp when he found out

so yes he's a chud

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

quote:

If deported, he would live on family property in Tamaulipas. The State Department’s “Do not travel” warning to U.S. citizens says of the area: “Murder, armed robbery, carjacking, kidnapping, extortion, and sexual assault [are] common along the northern border.” As an agent, Rodriguez had put traffickers in jail, and his face is widely recognizable from his years on the bridge. “I don’t know how long I can survive,” he told me.

Ahahahaaaaa

thicc_waluigi
Jan 5, 2019

Hillary 2020 posted:

Chuds are a universal constant.

The idea of the president as a daddy cop of some kind is definitely 100% amongst chuds

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

thicc_waluigi posted:

The idea of the president as a daddy cop of some kind is definitely 100% amongst chuds

I tried to explain that a president is not any individual citizen's ruler or, in fact, anyone's ruler to an American once but in the end I just gave up and called him a pissbaby for the likes. Funny how this never came up during the Thanks Obama administration :thunk:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

EVGA Longoria posted:

he suspended his application to the cbp when he found out

so yes he's a chud

huh. somehow missed that.

on the plus side now that i know there aren't any victims in this story, i don't feel so sad

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

I tried to explain that a president is not any individual citizen's ruler or, in fact, anyone's ruler to an American once but in the end I just gave up and called him a pissbaby for the likes. Funny how this never came up during the Thanks Obama administration :thunk:

To be daddy to chuds you have to be a strong daddy who spanks hard. Obama was a strong mommy who tried to boss them around, which is the worst kind of abomination to chuds.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

To be daddy to chuds you have to be a strong daddy who spanks hard. Obama was a strong mommy who tried to boss them around, which is the worst kind of abomination to chuds.

Thanks, Omama.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

Thanks, Omama.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

"With help from donations and a loan from Michigan’s Chaldean community, Ashourina was able to pay a $15,000 bond to free her father nine months after he was detained. Warda Slewo is home, and awaiting his court date in 2022. And though, as a noncitizen, he can’t vote anyway, he’s lost all his former affection for Trump."

It took 9 months inmprisoned in a camp waiting to get deported to Iraq, (where Christians like him are not loved), and putting his daughter 15k into debt. But this one chud is reformed.*

*He'll vote for whatever non-Trump the Republicans come up with.
That's assuming he gets to stay.

RBA-Wintrow has issued a correction as of 17:12 on Feb 19, 2020

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

RBA-Wintrow posted:

"With help from donations and a loan from Michigan’s Chaldean community, Ashourina was able to pay a $15,000 bond to free her father nine months after he was detained. Warda Slewo is home, and awaiting his court date in 2022. And though, as a noncitizen, he can’t vote anyway, he’s lost all his former affection for Trump."

It took 9 months inmprisoned in a camp waiting to get deported to Iraq, (where Christians like him are not loved), and putting his daughter 15k into debt. But this one chud is reformed.*

I hope President bernie gulags and/or deports his rear end

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

RBA-Wintrow posted:

Doesn't matter, he can't vote anyway. Now 9,999 more Michiganders to reform so Michigan turns blue again.

And as an added bonus, this chud gets two to three more years of mockery before getting kicked out. Enjoy your choice, you stupid rear end in a top hat.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Doesn't matter, he can't vote anyway. Now 9,999 more Michiganders to reform so Michigan turns blue again.

And as an added bonus, this chud gets two to three more years of mockery before getting kicked out. Enjoy your choice, you stupid rear end in a top hat.

I was thinking about this the other day, is there any way we could estimate based on stats how many trump voters have died in a certain state since 2016?

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

FMguru posted:

LOL.
there's not a word about how he passed a background check.
fun little side note about his integrity award though.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

InsertPotPun posted:

thats the least surprising part. Lots of people get federal jobs and background investigations are so backed up that they either get done years later or not at all.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

FMguru posted:

LOL.

right into my loving veins holy poo poo

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

InsertPotPun posted:

He was working at CBP for a long time, maybe the midwife who falsified his birth-certificate was only caught after he had already been hired/checked?

Having gone through the US immigration system I instinctively sympathize with these people being put into totally hopeless situations. However one thing stuck out of that article for me:

quote:

He believed that he still qualified for an exemption provided by the law for those who make a false claim to U.S. citizenship unwittingly. But in its denial letter, USCIS said it could not make an exception for Rodriguez even if he was unaware of his status at the time, citing recent precedent.
Imagine working within the US immigration system under Trump and hoping that USCIS will exercise any discretion to not impose the absolute worst possible outcome in a case. It's delusional.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Trpmu continuing to deliver for rural voters:

The Guardian posted:

2019 was worst year for US rural hospital closures in a decade, report finds

Hospital closures in rural areas of the US hit their highest point in the past decade last year, with 19 rural hospitals shutting down, according to a new report.

The number of rural hospital closures slowed somewhat during 2016 and 2017 but there has since been an uptick, with 34 facilities shuttering in the past 24 months, the analysis by the Chartis Center for Rural Health found.

Since 2010, 120 rural hospitals have closed, with states in the south faring worst, with Texas, Tennessee and Oklahoma leading the way. The analysis found that hospitals located in states that have not adopted the expansion of Medicaid – a public insurance program that provides health coverage to low-income families and individuals – have a lower average operating margin, putting them at greater risk of closing.

Using a model that shows risk factors for hospitals, the report found that 453 rural hospitals across the US are vulnerable to closure. Being in a state that has accepted expanded Medicaid help decreases the likelihood of closure by 62% on average, according to the analysis.

Previous studies have consistently shown that Medicaid expansion helps stave off hospital closures and yet states such as Texas have refused the federal funding that covers 90% of the costs of the expansion.

The issue has become a political point of contention in rural America, which has suffered from a lack of healthcare availability to treat growing problems such as the opioid epidemic.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/feb/19/us-rural-hospital-closures-report

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

i used to bring this up with my family in alabama (before they moved away from that urine-soaked hellhole)

quote:

Rural hospitals are closing their labor and delivery departments as a way to save money. What results is mothers having to drive 50+ miles in labor and sometimes forgo regular prenatal visits because the time off work, fuel, and childcare costs simply aren't economically feasible. Rural disadvantaged mothers may choose to schedule medically unnecessary inductions or surgical deliveries in order to avoid unassisted spontaneous vaginal delivery en-route to the hospital.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i used to bring this up with my family in alabama (before they moved away from that urine-soaked hellhole)

They prefer "peepee soaked heckhole"

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Blackchamber posted:

thats the least surprising part. Lots of people get federal jobs and background investigations are so backed up that they either get done years later or not at all.

Why, even the president's family has faced this, yet more proof of the broken system needing torn down and replaced with private ventures

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

pathetic little tramp posted:

I was thinking about this the other day, is there any way we could estimate based on stats how many trump voters have died in a certain state since 2016?

I think this came up before in the thread re: opioid deaths. It got me curious enough to dig around a bit for my state (PA) but have since lost the sites/data (I suck at numbers anyway). After quick googling though:

Opendata PA

OverdoseFree PA

PA Opioid Summary

I'd guess there would have to be a cross of that stuff with locations/demographics to get an outline of what's up.

Also related: Emergency/First Responder services in rural PA have pretty much collapsed for lack of funding. There's a lot going on with "MaH TaxEs", privatization, dying small towns and FYGM but the point is

quote:

The first dispatch went to Union City Fire Co.

When Union City couldn’t crew its ambulance, the call rolled over to neighboring Waterford Volunteer Fire Department.

Waterford couldn’t raise an ambulance crew either, so the call went to nearby Mill Village Volunteer Fire Department. Again, no answer.

Fifty-one minutes later, the county 911 center canceled the alarm, saying the caller was going to the hospital in a private vehicle.

“It’s here,” a somber Union City Fire Chief Isaiah Edwards told his firefighters a week later at a station meeting. “We’re dropping a ton of calls. It’s going to be a mess. I don’t have answers.”

Whether such dropped calls have resulted in a death in Erie County is unknown, but rescuers say it’s their biggest fear. And Union City isn’t alone.

Problems recruiting first responders, rising operating expenses and Medicare reimbursement that hasn’t kept pace with expenses are stressing emergency medical services throughout rural Pennsylvania.

“It’s a nightmare,” Mr. Obert said. “Somebody has to subsidize it.”

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

This is clearly Obama's fault and only voting even harder for Trump will fix it!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Erghh posted:

I think this came up before in the thread re: opioid deaths. It got me curious enough to dig around a bit for my state (PA) but have since lost the sites/data (I suck at numbers anyway). After quick googling though:

Opendata PA

OverdoseFree PA

PA Opioid Summary

I'd guess there would have to be a cross of that stuff with locations/demographics to get an outline of what's up.

Also related: Emergency/First Responder services in rural PA have pretty much collapsed for lack of funding. There's a lot going on with "MaH TaxEs", privatization, dying small towns and FYGM but the point is

Yeah, :airquote: someone:airquote: must subsidize it, we couldn't burden the taxpayers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

“It’s a nightmare,” Mr. Obert said. “Somebody has to subsidize it.”
2/19/20, 7:17 PM

——

lmao owned