Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

There's been a lot of scary talk of coronavirus this week so I wrote up a brief no-fearmongering guide to coronavirus for everyone. I will try to keep it updated as new information/news comes out. Let me know if you have any questions or if there's anything I should add!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-Qr3rDNIInT9QRmN2GKyo_EY2r3psBshsdL7J8po_i4/edit?usp=sharing

edit: Justice loves a good box!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Stereotype posted:

Quick reminder that the US has had a military space force for decades within the US Air Force with funding comparable to NASA. All trump did was separate them into their own thing.

Also there’s very little anyone could do if China wanted to just deploy a billion ball bearings into orbit to shred everything.

I've been reading The Pentagon's Brain: An Uncensored History of DARPA, America's Top-Secret Military Research Agency because I'm a sucker for secret government program stuff, and this quote came up:

quote:

“In separate meetings, Army, Air Force, and Navy commanders each insisted that outer space was their service’s domain. To the Army, the moon was simply “the high ground,” and therefore part of its domain. Air Force generals, claiming that space was “just a little higher up” than the area they already controlled, tried to get Secretary McElroy interested in their plans for “creating a new Aerospace Force.” The admirals and vice admirals of the U.S. Navy argued that “outer space over the oceans” was a natural extension of the “underwater, surface and air regime in which [the Navy] operated” and should therefore be considered the Navy’s domain. General Bernard Schriever of the U.S. Air Force told the Senate Preparedness Subcommittee that he wanted to state on record his “strong negative against ARPA.””

Something fun I learned, after Russia got the jump on everyone else with Sputnik, DARPA dedicated a massive amount of resources to figuring out what an overseas attack might look like, a lot of it involving satellite fuckery. Operation Argus was a test of the Christofilos Effect, an idea that we could lob a bunch of energy weapons at just the right point in the atmosphere, they would create an atomic bubble capable of destroying any weapons our enemies might fire at us.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also I’m still in awe that the president yesterday tried to BS his way through that Weinstein question like a 4th grader who hasn’t read the book he was assigned

He had no idea who Weinstein was, just took a hail mary on “probably someone who gave a lot of money to the Democrats”

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Rosalind posted:

There's been a lot of scary talk of coronavirus this week so I wrote up a brief no-fearmongering guide to coronavirus for everyone. I will try to keep it updated as new information/news comes out. Let me know if you have any questions or if there's anything I should add!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-Qr3rDNIInT9QRmN2GKyo_EY2r3psBshsdL7J8po_i4/edit?usp=sharing

no bean buying recommendation, waht is this, ameteur hour?

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

WoodrowSkillson posted:

no bean buying recommendation, waht is this, ameteur hour?

Obviously we should all be buying hydroponic kits so that we can farm our own food without having to go outside

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham posted:

Also I’m still in awe that the president yesterday tried to BS his way through that Weinstein question like a 4th grader who hasn’t read the book he was assigned

He had no idea who Weinstein was, just took a hail mary on “probably someone who gave a lot of money to the Democrats”
Now this I don't even believe for a second.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah that just seemed like the typical "never heard of the guy, such a bad person, probably a democrat" kind of thing.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1232484273057222657

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’ve never heard of a 6 PM press conference (or later) that wasn’t something like Obama announcing Osama’s death, or Bush starting a war

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Lote posted:

You left out the best part!

https://twitter.com/realpresssecbot/status/1232653363218505728?s=21

Im not loving this up. You’re loving this up!

I can't believe this idiot is really the President.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
“Chocker?”

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Lote posted:

You left out the best part!

https://twitter.com/realpresssecbot/status/1232653363218505728?s=21

Im not loving this up. You’re loving this up!

Christ. His tweets are looking more and more like how bots used to game the SEO in the early 2000s.

Edit:

Brony Car posted:

“Chocker?”

Dictionary.com posted:

adjective

informal full up; packed

British slang irritated; fed up

It isn't even a noun :psyduck:

Velocity Raptor fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 26, 2020

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

He's made that typo before. Dude doesn't know how to spell "choke".

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’ve never heard of a 6 PM press conference (or later) that wasn’t something like Obama announcing Osama’s death, or Bush starting a war

he literally does this poo poo for prime time ratings

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

Nonsense posted:

Bob Iger is a piece of poo poo.

Does this relate to why Bob Iger suddenly stepped down?

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Rosalind posted:

Thank you for this Rosalind. This is a really good effortpost and I appreciate you taking the time to sum up all this stuff for those of us with partners who are immunocompromised.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

sexpig by night posted:

he literally does this poo poo for prime time ratings

That's pretty much it. He could easily say everything he needs to say at 11am, but wants to get as many people watching him appear strong and responsive in the face of a crisis.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Triskelli posted:

I’ll believe the recession has arrived when the Dread God “DaNumbas” is down five days in a row. :colbert:

DhaNumba rises again!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lassitude posted:

He's made that typo before. Dude doesn't know how to spell "choke".

Smocking gun, chocking Warren. Bing bang bong. *brain liquefies*

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Can’t wait for our Glorious Leader to reassure us about the Caronavirus tonight.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Presidents generally haven't made press conferences with the intention of keeping tv line up the next day.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
KILL THE BABIES

https://twitter.com/travis_view/status/1232697572059312129

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rosalind posted:

Thanks for this, as we're currently wondering if it's time to stock the pantry just in case.

To be honest, if the Economy takes a giant dump right through the primaries and it's because Coronamania delayed the Galaxy SXX and iPhone Max Camera 5g it would sure be something.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Yeah, Tito Ortiz is a great representative of the cause, I mean listen to this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnrI1l6qvO4

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

now it's been a while since I read Plato's Republic but I'm fairly certain he didn't have anything to say on abortion, guns, or even capitalism for that matter

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

You'd think a big strong MMA guy wouldn't be so insecure.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Lol, I love that he’s literally so stupid or brain damaged that he can’t understand what the words republic and democracy mean

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Wasn't Tito Ortiz the one that murdered his girlfriend or something like that?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Charliegrs posted:

You're probably thinking of War Machine

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Acebuckeye13 posted:

now it's been a while since I read Plato's Republic but I'm fairly certain he didn't have anything to say on abortion, guns, or even capitalism for that matter

Well it literally describes an anarcho-communist utopia, sooo....

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Charliegrs posted:

You'd think a big strong MMA guy wouldn't be so insecure.
A ton of athletes are hella insecure.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Nonsense posted:

Thats going to do wonders to all the bigoted and outright racist drivel constantly posted, but approved because upvotes! bullshit that their subreddits loves to peddle.

And I mean on their "comedy" subreddits as well not just t_d

I love how at this point only Facebook really seems to see no problem whatsoever with the current status quo of it's social media platform, has absolutely no plans small or large to cut down on toxicity, misinformation and propaganda, and in fact based on recent Zuck statements in the news, gently caress you for even thinking they might. All these social media platform CEO's seem like weird loving shits with far more money and influence than common sense but Zuckerberg is really coming across as outright vindictive and dangerous right now in particular.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Somehow a bunch of idiots over the years have managed to get the absolute privilege of saying anything anytime anywhere to anyone conflated with the right to free speech and it's one of the dumbest things about this country. Yeah free speech is great, no you can't just say 'there are no rules wrt speech' in any sphere, public or private, digital or otherwise and have it not turn into a huge dumpsterfire. The sooner people writ large accept that the better.

Yeah it's legit one of the only hilarious things ever to come out of trump's mouth

When I see the phrase "Free speech" used nowadays it's kind of started to translate in my head as "My theoretical sworn right to say the dumbest most ignorant hateful poo poo possible", because that's generally the type of person that likes to bandy it around and apparently thinks that's what Freedom of Speech laws are there for and not say to protect the people, press and opinion from would be authoritarian governments. Free Speech laws are basically what render Trump impotent to do anything but bitch and moan on twitter any time anyone anywhere criticizes him or he feels he's slighted in some way otherwise the clamp down would be severe and swift with someone this thin skinned.

Kale fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 26, 2020

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

mdemone posted:

Well it literally describes an anarcho-communist utopia, sooo....

:thunk:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I follow Badiou on that analysis. Highly recommend his "translation" of Republic.

Kale
May 14, 2010

The Super-Id posted:

These loving assholes are so out of touch with normal people.

Apparently not since roughly 47% of the U.S still for some baffling reason that can't just be because of Fox News and propaganda still votes for Republicans despite them offering literally nothing of any real world value to anyone but the ultra rich and frankly evil vindictive people for decades now. Like I don't know how to explain it, in almost every other Western democracy the GOP establishment and candidates are completely un-electable in it's current state.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

We should encourage this practice among Q's.

Best way to do that it so continue to tell them that they are idiots for thinking that.
So what we'd do anyway.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Data Graham posted:

That's a big Fox talking point right now and it's true.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Charliegrs posted:

he beat the poo poo out of Jenna Jameson when they were dating because he's human garbage but he didn't kill her.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Wark Say posted:

A ton of athletes are hella insecure.

Becoming a giant muscle monster does not cure insecurity

This is basically the entire plot of the 2003 Incredible Hulk movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Rosalind posted:

Yet the CDC yesterday said it's highly likely this will become a pandemic in the United States, and now is the time to be asking employers, schools, etc about what their plans are. Does your employer have remote work options etc.

There were several announcements yesterday that basically said get prepared it is coming here.