Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I personally would be interested to know what they could do with existing rail networks (and historic routes) if they were given a pot of £100+ billion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plank Sanction
Nov 3, 2016

Who invented the skip?

Ratjaculation posted:

I personally would be interested to know what they could do with existing rail networks (and historic routes) if they were given a pot of £100+ billion.

A lot, but not to alleviate congestion on the mainlines. It'd be nice to get some light rail out of that pot mind, but it's probably funded differently. I think there's talk of converting a heritage line to light rail in Preston for example.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Plank Sanction posted:

I think part of it is being used for a heritage railway as well. Also, it becomes the NET in Nottingham.

Nottingham Victoria (GCML's station) was sadly bulldozed to make way for a shopping centre that is marginally better than the Broadmarsh. Still has the clocktower though!
Yeah it's currently a heritage railway from Birstall (Leicester North) to Loughborough, but there's a 500m gap between that and a route into Nottingham itself that's being closed apparently. The bridge should be opening this year but no planned routes yet.

Ratjaculation posted:

Let's replace HS2, a scheme primarily to reduce pressure on the West Coast Line, with a line that completely ignores the west coast!
A fast route from Manchester to London sounds like it'd reduce pressure on the West Coast Line whichever way it went, unless most of that traffic is Mancunians desperate to visit Stoke-on-Trent.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
It would be *really* difficult to fix the UK's rauilway systems in any real way, because the platforms are often short and variable height, and the bridges are often short. Without basicall breaking the entire system for 5 or 10 years, it would be next to impossible to make meaningful changes, because those changes would largely involve standardising and espansing the stations, and making all the bridges and tunnels deep enough for double decker trains.

Which is gonna be a loving challenge.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

thespaceinvader posted:

It would be *really* difficult to fix the UK's rauilway systems in any real way, because the platforms are often short and variable height, and the bridges are often short. Without basicall breaking the entire system for 5 or 10 years, it would be next to impossible to make meaningful changes, because those changes would largely involve standardising and espansing the stations, and making all the bridges and tunnels deep enough for double decker trains.

It's Boris and the Tories in charge, they'll break it just fine. They won't bother fixing it though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Give it to Elon Musk to make a submarine that detects nonces.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Plank Sanction posted:

Does this guy think the decades of consultations and planning just somehow didn't notice the Great Central or..?

Without even glancing at it I'm going to assume the alignment is completely unsuitable for high-speed rail for the exact same reasons the WCML and GWR are - loads of curves to avoid steep gradients, because it was laid out for Victorian steam engines that could barely touch 50 miles per hour and didn't have the power to get up anything steeper than 1:100 without help.

e: I can also spot one *tiny* problem with using it specifically for HS2:

If you want to relieve pressure on the WCML, which is what HS2 is actually for, bypassing the second-largest city in the country altogether isn't the greatest starting point.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 27, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Interesting article (a cut down version is in today's Graun, but I went to the source).

Ed: I'm not actually sure if this is satire or not!

https://www.the-fence.com/issues/issue-3/politics-off-grid

This sounds worryingly accurate even if it is supposed to be satire, tbh.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Me, softly "Brunel gauge, Brunel gauge"

Everyone else on the train, banging on the foldy tables "BRUNEL GAUGE, BRUNEL GAUGE"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What if double decker trains but sideways.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Without even glancing at it I'm going to assume the alignment is completely unsuitable for high-speed rail for the exact same reasons the WCML and GWR are - loads of curves to avoid steep gradients, because it was laid out for Victorian steam engines that could barely touch 50 miles per hour and didn't have the power to get up anything steeper than 1:100 without help.
The bits in the East Midlands at least were straighter than the current Midland Main Line, and tended to follow canals or drainage ditches. Maybe it goes wiggly towards London but there's nothing stopping someone following an alternative route for the southern bit, that's not where most of the planning and ecological issues with HS2 are.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

Guavanaut posted:

It's pretty cool how much of the infrastructure does still exist, you can see it clear as day on an aerial map, and there's random bits of it along country lanes and larger roads all over the place.

The parish council just spent money putting in new steps down from the main road to the footpath along the railway line and now some internet train nerds want to re-instate the railway?!

There's half a dozen houses built on the line in the village but I think the line south of here is actually pretty much still clear all the way to Rugby - even the bridge over the road going into Rugby still exists. There is currently planning permission to build a whole bunch more warehousing covering where the line crosses the A5 though (in the last plans I saw the railway bit is the part of the site they set aside for 'nature reserve', I assume partly because there's an abandoned medieval village there which is a scheduled monument). So that would be a fun legal battle with the multibillion dollar international logistics company that owns it now.
The route to Leicester is much worse - they built loads of houses over the line in Broughton and Countesthorpe and what looks like an industrial estate and blocks of flats in Wigston.

On the other hand I'm very much looking forward to golfers teeing off on the golf course having to dodge high speed trains.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Everyone else on the train, banging on the foldy tables "BRUNEL GAUGE, BRUNEL GAUGE"

So you can have width problems as well as height problems (because the extra 3 feet of gauge getting you one extra seat per row isn't going to solve the massive overcrowding on the worst routes) AND obsolete the entirety of the rolling stock nationwide.

Seems like a good idea.

Yes.

Plank Sanction
Nov 3, 2016

Who invented the skip?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

e: I can also spot one *tiny* problem with using it specifically for HS2:

If you want to relieve pressure on the WCML, which is what HS2 is actually for, bypassing the second-largest city in the country altogether isn't the greatest starting point.

Pretty much! It really has been looked at many times over the years. It's not as bad as the WCML but it's hardly fit for 300 kmh running. Avoiding Birmingham but calling at Rugby is certainly not ideal to say the least, and Notts would be a massive bottleneck. Also, loads of it is in use or built on.

Plank Sanction fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 27, 2020

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Starmer will be somewhere between a Milliband and a Kinnock.

Also lol at someone who never joined the biggest hope the left had in the past 30 years smugly sitting out and saying there's more important poo poo to do.

The Labour party is essentially dead in Scotland just now so there's no much to join. We just get to look on in morbid fascination as the party tears itself apart again. Thought that said, most of the posters here seem to be of the opinion that the far left is the majority opinion of the party and it's just some dastardly centrists keeping them down. When in reality the centrists hold the majority within the party. People have all this big talk about kicking out all the melts, but the melts ARE the party in effect.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

So you can have width problems as well as height problems (because the extra 3 feet of gauge getting you one extra seat per row isn't going to solve the massive overcrowding on the worst routes) AND obsolete the entirety of the rolling stock nationwide.

Seems like a good idea.

Yes.

Why not both, make it wider and taller :v: I want a train I can fit another train inside.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Giant trebuchets and nets are the solution to mass transit

You can't use them in the wind or rain, but our trains are the same

Plank Sanction
Nov 3, 2016

Who invented the skip?

OwlFancier posted:

Nah, what you really need is standardisation with European and US stock, which is about increasing loading gauge, not chasing some silly massive track IK probably came up with during an opium sesh.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

OwlFancier posted:

Why not both, make it wider and taller :v: I want a train I can fit another train inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlc8Gwi7EeE

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Get some of those old US cars with the bubble on top you can look out of.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

dispatch_async posted:

The route to Leicester is much worse - they built loads of houses over the line in Broughton and Countesthorpe and what looks like an industrial estate and blocks of flats in Wigston.

On the other hand I'm very much looking forward to golfers teeing off on the golf course having to dodge high speed trains.
Yeah Wigston pretty much ruined any chance of easily getting it through to the old station in Leicester, it'd either have to go around Leicester through to Loughborough and on to Nottingham or switch onto existing tracks way south of the city.

Or go through their luxury flat developments with a tunnel boring machine. Either/or.

The golf thing could be made part of the experience, like windmills and comedic crocodiles.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

thespaceinvader posted:

Seems like a good idea.

Yes.

Clearly we need to go to Brunel*2

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Ratjaculation posted:

Giant trebuchets and nets are the solution to mass transit

You can't use them in the wind or rain, but our trains are the same

You could have these giant balloons (sort of a cross between a zeppelin and a hot air balloon) and the ropes are attached to rails on the ground, but you only need one rail.

I remember attending a course on the kinematic envelope of trains - the space a moving train takes up as opposed to a still carriage. (I like to think of it as train wave-particle duality. The moving train is more wavy and the still train more particaly).

http://www.railsystem.net/structure-gauge-and-kinematic-envelope/

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
So you could just move the train in a circle in London fast enough that its kinematic envelope could potentially be in Manchester and then collapse the waveform.

Someone get Elon Musk.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

You could have these giant balloons (sort of a cross between a zeppelin and a hot air balloon) and the ropes are attached to rails on the ground, but you only need one rail.

I remember attending a course on the kinematic envelope of trains - the space a moving train takes up as opposed to a still carriage. (I like to think of it as train wave-particle duality. The moving train is more wavy and the still train more particaly).

http://www.railsystem.net/structure-gauge-and-kinematic-envelope/

You might enjoy the recent WTYP episode about the APT which had the slight issue of the active tilt mechanism having the potential to break in such a way that trains attempting to pass each other would collide because the carriages would protrude outside the envelope.

And also the train would be listing noticeably all the time I guess, that's bad too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G77GkxZrxIs

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

So you could just move the train in a circle in London fast enough that its kinematic envelope could potentially be in Manchester and then collapse the waveform.

Someone get Elon Musk.

I know we're talking trains and this is cars, but this reminds me of that bit in Good Omens (the book - I've not seen the film)

quote:

M25 London Orbital
A motorway, subtly redesigned by Crowley so that seen from above, it took on the appearance of the dread sigil Odegra. The effect of millions of vehicles using it each day and fuming, swearing, and wishing ill on their fellow road-users not only drew millions of souls that bit closer to Satan and hell, it had the same continuous flow effect that you would normally get on a Buddhist prayer wheel.

So when the big day dawned, the cumulative effect of all this negativity effectively sealed off London from the outside world, and incidentally did for Pigbog and the Four Other Riders Of The Apocalypse.

The sight of millions of trapped people in their cars with their electronics chanting

Hail the Great Beast, destroyer of worlds!

for all eternity was something that made Crowley wish he'd never bothered with moving those surveyors' poles a few occultishly significant metres by dead of night. However, a bigger consideration was that he was trapped on the wrong side of the M25 and had to get to Tadfield somehow. Sometimes, a demon can be too clever for his own good...

https://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/M25_London_Orbital

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Aramoro posted:

The Labour party is essentially dead in Scotland just now so there's no much to join. We just get to look on in morbid fascination as the party tears itself apart again. Thought that said, most of the posters here seem to be of the opinion that the far left is the majority opinion of the party and it's just some dastardly centrists keeping them down. When in reality the centrists hold the majority within the party. People have all this big talk about kicking out all the melts, but the melts ARE the party in effect.

No you’re describing the SNP :v:

I’m in scotlab and it’s poo poo and I constantly decry the lack of left wingers in it because my CLP meetings are loving horrible

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

You might enjoy the recent WTYP episode about the APT which had the slight issue of the active tilt mechanism having the potential to break in such a way that trains attempting to pass each other would collide because the carriages would protrude outside the envelope.

Looks like an interesting series.
I can think of another example - the DFT told Southern railway to get new trains - great, lovely - but did not take into account the power draw and when they started using them they would do stuff like melt the bolts in the fishplates so a whole heap of work on the power supply had to take place (at huge and unexpected cost).
(This is a simplified version of what the new trains did but it's been about 15 years now since this happened so I can't remember the ins and out!)

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Sanitary Naptime posted:

No you’re describing the SNP :v:

I’m in scotlab and it’s poo poo and I constantly decry the lack of left wingers in it because my CLP meetings are loving horrible

Why do you punish yourself like this?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Guavanaut posted:

Give it to Elon Musk to make a submarine that detects nonces.

Tor-pedo chutes at the ready, Cap’n.

Plank Sanction
Nov 3, 2016

Who invented the skip?

OwlFancier posted:

And also the train would be listing noticeably all the time I guess, that's bad too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G77GkxZrxIs

Still better than an HST.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/LabourList/status/1233028773710200832?s=19

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

My office made everyone work from home yesterday to test our ability to do so (IT, etc).

When we finally do close the office and send everyone to work from home it's gonna get noticed by the media because we, uh, have our finger on the pulse of this epidemic. Other offices can be brushed off as panicking or being overly cautious, but when we do it everyone's gonna be going "oh. oh poo poo"

loving lol

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Plank Sanction posted:

Nah, what you really need is standardisation with European and US stock, which is about increasing loading gauge, not chasing some silly massive track IK probably came up with during an opium sesh.

The Brunel Defender has logged on.

Broad(er) gauges make a huge amount of sense if you're designing from scratch, *particularly* for steam hauling - your boiler can be of a much larger circumference (because you can mount the wheels to the side of it, rather than underneath), letting you either get the same amount of steam from less coal or, because you've got way bigger wheels (meaning better traction and smoother running) much more steam from the same amount of coal, and hence higher speeds.

Brunel would have definitely done his homework on the best gauge to use because that's the kind of man he was, but as with many of his ideas the problem was it wasn't better enough to overcome the massive inertia already built up around standard gauge.

Those advantages are mostly gone now because we've got two hundred years experience of working with a gauge chosen because it was the width of a random mine captain's measuring stick and Stevenson wanted to save money on carriages. Hmm, London genius being constrained by idiots from the Midlands terrified of change? Sounds vaguely familiar.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Maybe it's God hearing out the occasional goon prayer for a Logan's Run style catastrophe? Makes you think.

e: Sorry for being a bit CSPAM-y today, reading the news makes me depressed lately.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 27, 2020

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Just thought: it's going to be awkward as hell in the RLB/Rayner flat when Rayner gets the deputy leader position and sprints towards the centre under Starmer while RLB sits looking mad on the back benches. Proper sitcom stuff lmao

Plank Sanction
Nov 3, 2016

Who invented the skip?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The Brunel Defender has logged on.

Broad(er) gauges make a huge amount of sense if you're designing from scratch, *particularly* for steam hauling - your boiler can be of a much larger circumference (because you can mount the wheels to the side of it, rather than underneath), letting you either get the same amount of steam from less coal or, because you've got way bigger wheels (meaning better traction and smoother running) much more steam from the same amount of coal, and hence higher speeds.

Brunel would have definitely done his homework on the best gauge to use because that's the kind of man he was, but as with many of his ideas the problem was it wasn't better enough to overcome the massive inertia already built up around standard gauge.

Those advantages are mostly gone now because we've got two hundred years experience of working with a gauge chosen because it was the width of a random mine captain's measuring stick and Stevenson wanted to save money on carriages. Hmm, London genius being constrained by idiots from the Midlands terrified of change? Sounds vaguely familiar.

Just to be clear, I was being flippant. I love Brunel*, and appreciate the original rationale behind the gauge. It still amazes me when I pass over the Tamar that his bridges are as functional now as they were when they were on his drawing board. He's the anti-Elon Musk.

*This is where someone reveals he was actually a massive racist or something, please no!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I mean he was Victorian, being a massive racist virtually goes without saying.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
As head IT honcho at my place of work I've made it my duty today to put in place reasonable precautions to make sure everyone can work from home, and by that I mean I've counted the number of working laptops we have.

Joking aside I think anyone who takes the tube on a daily basis is probably least at risk as you've already been exposed to everyone's fecal matter in London already and as such are probably immune to everything going.

Riding the tube is basically a daily fecal matter transplant.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

SpicePro posted:

As head IT honcho at my place of work I've made it my duty today to put in place reasonable precautions to make sure everyone can work from home, and by that I mean I've counted the number of working laptops we have.

Joking aside I think anyone who takes the tube on a daily basis is probably least at risk as you've already been exposed to everyone's fecal matter in London already and as such are probably immune to everything going.

Riding the tube is basically a daily fecal matter transplant.

Thanks for that. I'm just eating my tea.

Plank Sanction posted:

Just to be clear, I was being flippant. I love Brunel*, and appreciate the original rationale behind the gauge. It still amazes me when I pass over the Tamar that his bridges are as functional now as they were when they were on his drawing board. He's the anti-Elon Musk.

*This is where someone reveals he was actually a massive racist or something, please no!

7pm on Channel 5 - programme about Brunel and a bridge if you're interested.
And yes, pretty much being a Victorian = being almost certainly a racist (even in dubious terms of some missionaries etc talking about "our poor black brothers"). I'd say this is true right up to the 1920s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Thanks for that. I'm just eating my tea.

Well I hope you washed your hands first.