Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Yeah before it was just "we'd prefer you didnt go to Japan right now" and now it's "ok just don't"

Coworker in the desk behind me was talking about prepping and how the Bundesregierung apparently has a guideline that households are supposed to have like ten days worth of food and water per person and lol I have like some noodles and canned peas to last me the weekend?

Edit: however I am a goon and thus have tremendous fat reserves at my disposal so we're good

Drone fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The 10 day guideline was lowered recently-ish from 14 iirc.

It's generally a good idea to store some food in case of natural or man made disaster. A normal Grippe or a WoW expansion could force you to stay inside for a bit.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Antigravitas posted:

The 10 day guideline was lowered recently-ish from 14 iirc.

It's generally a good idea to store some food in case of natural or man made disaster. A normal Grippe or a WoW expansion could force you to stay inside for a bit.

I've never had a Grippe that forced me to be inside for a longer time period.

WoW expansions on the other hand...

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

just buy a gun, and you'll never run out of meat

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

We got "take your laptops home in case the location needs to switch to home office if an infection should become known".
The actual logistical disruptions so far have been fairly übersehbar in the past couple of weeks, but this week, poo poo is starting to actually hit the fan.

I bought viruzidales Handwaschmittel last week and watched the Spahn-Video. I will offer - should infections spread (1-2 reported cases in my state at the moment) - all my co-workers extended home office, Abbau von Überstunden or unplanmäßigen Urlaub.

My Wertpapiere dropped like it‘s 2008, so I hope I don’t survive this only to die of GroKo-induced Altersarmut.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Also just spotted a Chinese dude walking by with a face mask so if you don't hear from me again remember me sometimes while you're sifting through the ruins for a stray dried chili.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Torrannor posted:

I've never had a Grippe that forced me to be inside for a longer time period.

I've had a proper Grippe once in my life and the anecdotal take-away I have from it is "if you're still functional and not considering legit hospitalization, it's not Influenza".
I get that an actual Grippe can verlauf differently depending on person, state of immune system, etc. but no-bullshit-Influenza will actually shut you down until you're good.

My old project has a Berufseinsteiger with a huge mundwerk that is of the Schlag that does stupid amounts of unnecessary overtime to make sure he has the most Überstunden in the Projekt at any given time, and will absolutely tell everyone about how many Überstunden they have, because that obviously means they're the hardest-working employee, and they had the gall to call in sick with a case of "the Grippe" not once, not twice, but three times before the Ende of 2019. It was somewhat :rolleyes: in that case.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
ehm, we all know it's not worse than a normal flu right?

there's a reason for the panic though :ssh: it's racism

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also I love the corona virus because of the huge market losses it has caused, so I'm happy to host it for a while

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
as a teacher I get the flu once or twice every year, as do most of my colleagues, and yes it absolutely knocks you out for a week or two. but, it's also nice because you don't have to work and you can just lie on the couch all day watching Bruce Willis films

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
anyway that's just my 3 posts about the flu, thanks for reading ops -- I hope you have a nice weekend. remember to stay safe out there!

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

those were four posts you liar

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I think Oliwan may be feverish. Is it Corona already? :ohdear:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Libluini posted:

I think Oliwan may be feverish. Is it Corona already? :ohdear:

I'm internet diagnosing a terminal case of oliwan, actually :ohdear:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

oliwan posted:

Current scientific consensus is that the virus is both more contagious and more lethal than the common flu. There's no reason to believe it's gonna wipe out humanity but the way things have been shaping up it's not gonna be nice either. But yeah, I guess those scientists are all Chinese-hating racists and the 100 million+ people quarantined in China do so gladly while singing anti-capitalists songs :rolleyes:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

RIP boomers and prodromal boomers(everyone Ü30). Call your parents. Call your older dogs(everything Ü8). It might be the last chance to talk to them.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

oliwan posted:

People panic because the virus is not racist. If it's poor brown people drowning at our borders who cares but a virus that also kills rich white old people? That is reason to panic

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

System Metternich posted:

Current scientific consensus is that the virus is both more contagious and more lethal than the common flu. There's no reason to believe it's gonna wipe out humanity but the way things have been shaping up it's not gonna be nice either. But yeah, I guess those scientists are all Chinese-hating racists and the 100 million+ people quarantined in China do so gladly while singing anti-capitalists songs :rolleyes:

And it shouldn't be understated that even the "regular" flu is pretty bad. Even with the advantages of vaccines and well-prepared health services it causes a fair number of deaths each year. Having a whole separate flu-like virus going around without either of those protections and more severe side-effects is gonna be fairly serious. Sure, any one of the posters in here is probably gonna be alright, but in the grand scheme of things it's probably gonna kill a whole lot of people.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 28, 2020

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

oliwan posted:

Also I love the corona virus because of the huge market losses it has caused, so I'm happy to host it for a while

Yeah, thank god for the economic effects of Corona that are putting countless people worldwide out of a job in countries interwoven into the supply chains of the countries that are at the lowest end of the health-risk spectrum while actively escalating the knock-on effects everywhere else, because a meme said Corona solves the boomer problem and rich people, right?

Jesus tapdancing christ, this is bad even for Oliwan-posting :cripes::cripes::cripes:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Man, we are due for a serious backpedalling-post about how I'm actually the problem because (insert reason pulled out of Oliwan's posting-enemies.xls, my money is actually on Bundeswehr, or working in the evil industry, idk)

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Yeah, thank god for the economic effects of Corona that are putting countless people worldwide out of a job in countries interwoven into the supply chains of the countries that are at the lowest end of the health-risk spectrum while actively escalating the knock-on effects everywhere else, because a meme said Corona solves the boomer problem and rich people, right?

Jesus tapdancing christ, this is bad even for Oliwan-posting :cripes::cripes::cripes:

he said market you doofus

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Goa Tse-tung posted:

he said market you doofus

And "market" only affects wealthy capitalist countries? Come on, now.

/edit:

Realtalk: What do you think causes those market losses?

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Stock markets are barely, if at all, indicative of the job market.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Healbot posted:

Stock markets are barely, if at all, indicative of the job market.

I'm going to forego a sarcastic post in lieu of an actual genuine question: Which countries did you think I meant when I posted "countries interwoven into the supply chains of the countries that are at the lowest end of the health-risk spectrum"?
Of course the stock market isn't a reflection of "how working-class people are doing", which is why Trump auto-fellating every time it rises is stupid as hell.

"The huge market losses" that we are currently seeing are caused by stock holders' reactions to the massive logistical disruptions in "risk regions" where people are actually getting hosed out of their livelihoods in the hundreds and thousands without even being infected due to containment procedures.
To say that you love Corona virus because a bunch of stupidly rich folks AT THE END of the supply chains in the richest countries on the planet might suffer some losses (which are going to be completely inconsequential in the long run) is quite possibly the dumbest thing and most white-privilege thing one could come up with, to be quite honest.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I'm not mad about joking about how dumb the reaction of rich-countries is to the virus when you're seeing it in your day-to-day life, because Galgenhumor and all, but after seeing several counts of legit-unfiltered racism under the guise of "caution", as well as hearing testimonials from my friends in Korea and China has quite desensitized me to joking about the virus and the damage it's doing in less-fortunate regions on the planet.

Anyway, I'm not trying to bum out the thread, here's a picture of my chilis ready for deployment into the große weite Welt.
Sent them on their way this morning, and I'm sad to see them go.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Man, we are due for a serious backpedalling-post about how I'm actually the problem because (insert reason pulled out of Oliwan's posting-enemies.xls, my money is actually on Bundeswehr, or working in the evil industry, idk)

Na. It was a pretty dumb post even for Oliwan and your reaction is normal for everybody who isn’t completely clueless about the economy.

I’ve read so many dumb CTs on Corona (it’s big pharma trying to turn a profit/ it’s Allah smiting the Uigur-oppressing infidels/it’s dumb Asians eating bats) that I’m glad for any voice of reason.

Einbauschrank fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 28, 2020

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

oliwan posted:

Why are you happy that the rich can buy more stocks cheaper?

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm going to forego a sarcastic post in lieu of an actual genuine question: Which countries did you think I meant when I posted "countries interwoven into the supply chains of the countries that are at the lowest end of the health-risk spectrum"?
Of course the stock market isn't a reflection of "how working-class people are doing", which is why Trump auto-fellating every time it rises is stupid as hell.

"The huge market losses" that we are currently seeing are caused by stock holders' reactions to the massive logistical disruptions in "risk regions" where people are actually getting hosed out of their livelihoods in the hundreds and thousands without even being infected due to containment procedures.
To say that you love Corona virus because a bunch of stupidly rich folks AT THE END of the supply chains in the richest countries on the planet might suffer some losses (which are going to be completely inconsequential in the long run) is quite possibly the dumbest thing and most white-privilege thing one could come up with, to be quite honest.

It's a sad state of affairs for sure, but you missed oliwan being a sociopathic teacher paying lip service to leftist ideas while laughing about workers getting hosed over.

Also Erlangen got their first COVID-19 case, a dermatology professor got infected by an Italian colleague during a conference in Munich and there is a big panic at the Uniklinik I work at.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

People are panic buying. By "people" I mean Ü30 garbage Schwaben in here in Prenzelberg.

Looking forward to stealing lavender scented toilet paper from their weak, lactose intolerant hands in Mad Max Berlin.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Duzzy Funlop posted:

lmao if you think oliwan has the ability or attention span to back-pedal

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

System Metternich posted:

That's a good article. If you use all of the lowest estimates in it you still get at least 0,05% of the population requiring intensive care. That's more than 40,000 people.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Ich habe den ganzen Tag schon so ein seltsames Kratzen im Hals. :rip:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Haramstufe Rot posted:

People are panic buying. By "people" I mean Ü30 garbage Schwaben in here in Prenzelberg.

Looking forward to stealing lavender scented toilet paper from their weak, lactose intolerant hands in Mad Max Berlin.

Saw some lady panic buying three mega packs of toilet paper at Lidl today. :wtc:: seriously, what is it with panic and toilet paper? The shelves are still full of poo poo that is infinitely more valuable and critical and all you can focus on is toilet paper?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Honj Steak posted:

That's a good article. If you use all of the lowest estimates in it you still get at least 0,05% of the population requiring intensive care. That's more than 40,000 people.

That's still much less than during a decent sized flu outbreak :smug:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

GABA ghoul posted:

Saw some lady panic buying three mega packs of toilet paper at Lidl today. :wtc:: seriously, what is it with panic and toilet paper? The shelves are still full of poo poo that is infinitely more valuable and critical and all you can focus on is toilet paper?

Let's not judge people with impending Stuhlgang-anxiety now

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

GABA ghoul posted:

quote:

100 Items in greatest demand during the siege of Sarajevo

1. Generators (Good ones cost dearly. Gas storage, risky. Noisy…target of thieves, invites marauders; maintenance etc.)
2. Water Filters/Purifiers
3. Portable Toilets
4. Seasoned Firewood. Wood takes about 6 - 12 months to become dried, for home uses.
5. Lamp Oil, Wicks, Lamps (First Choice: Buy CLEAR oil. If scarce, stockpile ANY!)
6. Coleman Fuel. Impossible to stockpile too much.
7. Guns, Ammunition, Pepper Spray, Knives, Clubs, Bats & Slingshots.
8. Hand-can openers, & hand egg beaters, whisks.
9. Honey/Syrups/white, brown sugar
10. Rice - Beans - Wheat
11. Vegetable Oil (for cooking) Without it food burns/must be boiled etc.)
12. Charcoal, Lighter Fluid (Will become scarce suddenly)
13. Water Containers (Urgent Item to obtain.) Any size. Small: HARD CLEAR PLASTIC ONLY - note - food grade if for drinking.
14. Propane Cylinders (Urgent: Definite shortages will occur.
15. Survival Guide Book.
16. Mantles: Aladdin, Coleman, ect. (Without this item, longer-term lighting is difficult.)
17. Baby Supplies: Diapers/formula. ointments/aspirin, etc.
18. Washboards, Mop Bucket w/wringer (for Laundry)
19. Cookstoves (Propane, Coleman & Kerosene)
20. Vitamins
21. Propane Cylinder Handle-Holder (Urgent: Small canister use is dangerous without this item)
22. Feminine Hygiene/Haircare/Skin products.
23. Thermal underwear (Tops & Bottoms)
24. Bow saws, axes and hatchets, Wedges (also, honing oil)
25. Aluminum Foil Reg. & Heavy Duty (Great Cooking and Barter Item)
26. Gasoline Containers (Plastic & Metal)
27. Garbage Bags (Impossible To Have Too Many)
28. Toilet Paper, Kleenex, Paper Towels
29. Milk - Powdered & Condensed (Shake Liquid every 3 to 4 months)
30. Garden Seeds (Non-Hybrid) (A MUST)
31. Clothes pins/line/hangers (A MUST)
32. Coleman’s Pump Repair Kit
33. Tuna Fish (in oil)
34. Fire Extinguishers (or..large box of Baking Soda in every room)
35. First aid kits
36. Batteries (all sizes…buy furthest-out for Expiration Dates)
37. Garlic, spices & vinegar, baking supplies
38. Big Dogs (and plenty of dog food)
39. Flour, yeast & salt
40. Matches. (“Strike Anywhere” preferred.) Boxed, wooden matches will go first
41. Writing paper/pads/pencils, solar calculators
42. Insulated ice chests (good for keeping items from freezing in Wintertime.)
43. Workboots, belts, Levis & durable shirts
44. Flashlights/LIGHTSTICKS & torches, “No. 76 Dietz” Lanterns
45. Journals, Diaries & Scrapbooks (jot down ideas, feelings, experience; Historic Times)
46. Garbage cans Plastic (great for storage, water, transporting - if with wheels)
47. Men’s Hygiene: Shampoo, Toothbrush/paste, Mouthwash/floss, nail clippers, etc
48. Cast iron cookware (sturdy, efficient)
49. Fishing supplies/tools
50. Mosquito coils/repellent, sprays/creams
51. Duct Tape
52. Tarps/stakes/twine/nails/rope/spikes
53. Candles
54. Laundry Detergent (liquid)
55. Backpacks, Duffle Bags
56. Garden tools & supplies
57. Scissors, fabrics & sewing supplies
58. Canned Fruits, Veggies, Soups, stews, etc.
59. Bleach (plain, NOT scented: 4 to 6% sodium hypochlorite)
60. Canning supplies, (Jars/lids/wax)
61. Knives & Sharpening tools: files, stones, steel
62. Bicycles…Tires/tubes/pumps/chains, etc
63. Sleeping Bags & blankets/pillows/mats
64. Carbon Monoxide Alarm (battery powered)
65. Board Games, Cards, Dice
66. d-con Rat poison, MOUSE PRUFE II, Roach Killer
67. Mousetraps, Ant traps & cockroach magnets
68. Paper plates/cups/utensils (stock up, folks)
69. Baby wipes, oils, waterless & Antibacterial soap (saves a lot of water)
70. Rain gear, rubberized boots, etc
71. Shaving supplies (razors & creams, talc, after shave)
72. Hand pumps & siphons (for water and for fuels)
73. Soysauce, vinegar, boullions/gravy/soupbase
74. Reading glasses
75. Chocolate/Cocoa/Tang/Punch (water enhancers)
76. “Survival-in-a-Can”
77. Woolen clothing, scarves/ear-muffs/mittens
78. Boy Scout Handbook, / also Leaders Catalog
79. Roll-on Window Insulation Kit (MANCO)
80. Graham crackers, saltines, pretzels, Trail mix/Jerky
81. Popcorn, Peanut Butter, Nuts
82. Socks, Underwear, T-shirts, etc. (extras)
83. Lumber (all types)
84. Wagons & carts (for transport to and from)
85. Cots & Inflatable mattresses
86. Gloves: Work/warming/gardening, etc.
87. Lantern Hangers
88. Screen Patches, glue, nails, screws,, nuts & bolts
89. Teas
90. Coffee
91. Cigarettes
92. Wine/Liquors (for bribes, medicinal etc)
93. Paraffin wax
94. Glue, nails, nuts, bolts, screws, etc.
95. Chewing gum/candies
96. Atomizers (for cooling/bathing)
97. Hats & cotton neckerchiefs
98. Goats/chickens

From a Sarajevo War Survivor:

1. Stockpiling helps, but you never know how long trouble will last, so locate near renewable food sources.
2. Living near a well with a manual pump is like being in Eden.
3. After awhile, even gold can lose its luster. But there is no luxury in war quite like toilet paper. Its surplus value is greater than gold’s.
4. If you had to go without one utility, lose electricity - it’s the easiest to do without (unless you’re in a very nice climate with no need for heat.)
5. Canned foods are awesome, especially if their contents are tasty without heating. One of the best things to stockpile is canned gravy - it makes a lot of the dry unappetizing things you find to eat in war somewhat edible. Only needs enough heat to “warm”, not to cook. It’s cheap too, especially if you buy it in bulk.
6. Bring some books - escapist ones like romance or mysteries become more valuable as the war continues. Sure, it’s great to have a lot of survival guides, but you’ll figure most of that out on your own anyway - trust me, you’ll have a lot of time on your hands.
7. The feeling that you’re human can fade pretty fast. I can’t tell you how many people I knew who would have traded a much needed meal for just a little bit of toothpaste, rouge, soap or cologne. Not much point in fighting if you have to lose your humanity. These things are morale-builders like nothing else.
8. Slow burning candles and matches, matches, matches.
9. More matches

Toilet paper is pretty high up in the list. This is only relevant information if corona keeps us in our houses for several years, though.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
there's a meme going around of corona being spread by diarrhea-fueled virus-laden aerosol plumes, so that may be related

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Duzzy Funlop posted:

And "market" only affects wealthy capitalist countries? Come on, now.

what no? only rich assholes have money in the market, you're talking about wrokers and oliwan wasn't

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

GABA ghoul posted:

People over here are panic partying instead. The city was unusually full of loud people drinking, and getting home through the U-Bahn network was rear end. Made me wonder at first if I missed some kind of sport event happening

Goa Tse-tung posted:

what no? only rich assholes have money in the market, you're talking about wrokers and oliwan wasn't

This post is so ignorant and naive, it doesn't even deserve a joke answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Libluini posted:

This post is so ignorant and naive, it doesn't even deserve a joke answer

Let's try to not go full-Oliwan in our discourse in here.

@Goa: Please read back up on the posts I made to specify what the problem was. The notion that a soaring stock market is "good" for a nation is almost always stupid, because it does not reflect the issue of the Einkommensschere that adversely affects the people of that nation. The inverse assumption is a huge issue in this case, because a) assuming the stock market crashing in wealthy nations only affects wealthy stockholders is horseshit, and b) the reason the stock market is crashing in this case is almost exclusively found in non-rich countries already being supremely-hosed

The stock market isn't taking a hit because rich olds are scared because Corona may affect them disproportionately health-wise. The stock market is taking a hit because rich olds (and everyone else) are seeing that containment measures in the poorest and/or most at-risk countries are affecting the amount of profits they can earn.
Their reaction is to sell off stock, earning them more money (albeit not at the profit they projected initially), that they will reinvest in other stocks.
The effect of an irrational panic in rich countries (the ones predominantly and disproportionately affecting said stock prices while not being exposed to the same health-risk) compounds the impact on the at-risk regions.

Cheering for Corona because one's trivial meme-oriented mindset is limited to stock-market-falls=rich-people-lose-money/die-off is comically stupid to an extent that it escapes words

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 28, 2020