Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

theblackw0lf posted:

DSA member Nithya Raman has almost certainly forced a run-off with Councilmember David Ryu.

Also DA Jackie Lacey has dropped to 50.14 percent and is dangerously close to a run-off with hundreds of thousands of votes still to tally
I'm pulling for Nithya's chances in November. Ryu has incumbency but I really hope she can get the word out.

Also good job to Lacey's husband for pulling a loving gun on the protestors that went to their home. Hope that fuckup was enough to force her into a run-off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Mitsuo posted:

,and also looks like Shahid Buttar will be running against Pelosi in November, having beaten out the Republican for second place.

Nice!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Centrist Committee posted:

Congratulations you got voter suppressed

E: It was a big focus of the campaign to get the word out about this but voting is designed to be difficult in this country

Sweet!

Now who is doing the suppression? Who benefits from it in California of all places?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Sweet!

Now who is doing the suppression? Who benefits from it in California of all places?

State Democratic party, which favors politicians like Biden (and Harris but she dropped out when she was polling <10% here, which is still hilarious to me) and doesn't want to make it easy for new voters to have influence or mess up what they have going on here.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Centrist Committee posted:

Congratulations you got voter suppressed

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Sweet!

Voting is easier in California than anywhere I can think of in the country. I saw that Sonoma had 75% turnout, which across most of the nation is unthinkable.

OP the people who set up your hoops are probably the state parties who would like your participation. Open primaries was set up in 2010 by Schwarzenegger as an attempt to elect moderates, in true Arnold style he was spiting both parties but Democrats more. Most people don't have a problem voting because most people join one of the two major parties and don't need the special political unicorns who feel greater satisfaction being outside the system. (I say this being someone who had considered it many times. It really accomplishes nothing.)

Roland Jones posted:

State Democratic party, which favors politicians like Biden (and Harris but she dropped out when she was polling <10% here, which is still hilarious to me) and doesn't want to make it easy for new voters to have influence or mess up what they have going on here.

I don't even think it's so much that as that it's difficult to go around knocking on doors, mailing fliers, and getting out the vote when everyone is non-partisan and you have no idea who has a sympathetic ear. Would you want to go around campaigning for Bernie at people's homes not knowing even which party they lean to? Maybe you would in California, but in places where gun-toting Trump supporters are more frequent, maybe not.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 5, 2020

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Craptacular! posted:

I don't even think it's so much that as that it's difficult to go around knocking on doors, mailing fliers, and getting out the vote when everyone is non-partisan and you have no idea who has a sympathetic ear. Would you want to go around campaigning for Bernie at people's homes not knowing even which party they lean to? Maybe you would in California, but in places where gun-toting Trump supporters are more frequent, maybe not.

I'm not talking about that, I'm talking about the added difficulty in NPP people being able to participate in the Democratic primary, the shortage of functional machines in places like UCLA causing people to wait in line for hours or not be able to vote in the window of opportunity their work afforded them, people being given the wrong ballots or taken off the rolls entirely, and all that. That's voter suppression.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I just sauntered up to my poll worker and interrupted their "Because you're registered NPP..." spiel by firmly stating "DEMOCRATIC" and they handed me the ballot. No additional data was collected. :shrug:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

CPColin posted:

I just sauntered up to my poll worker and interrupted their "Because you're registered NPP..." spiel by firmly stating "DEMOCRATIC" and they handed me the ballot. No additional data was collected. :shrug:

This is the voter fraud trump warned us about oh god

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Everybody should be voting by mail at this point, it's so much easier than standing in line and you don't have last minute surprises. The state could be doing a better job at communicating this.

I would even say permanent vote by mail should be a opt-out instead of a opt-in. It will have some upfront cost but it could increase turnout and maybe even save money long term by reducing the number of physical poll sites needed.

E: You could ask though what do you do about people without an address for whatever reason. Not sure.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Mar 5, 2020

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

BBC News - Coronavirus: California declares emergency after death

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51740706
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Coronavirus-live-updates-Six-dead-in-Washington-15100710.php?t=cb2b3a10f9

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

That ship has sailed (HA!). CA should have done what WA did and started doing tests on its own and ignore what the CDC was saying.

The one patient from Sacramento that was / is positive the doctors tried for days to get the CDC to test him but he didn’t fit the criteria so they said “just the flu bro”.

Once CA gets its testing really up and running it’s gonna be a poo poo show of cases all over.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

Everybody should be voting by mail at this point, it's so much easier than standing in line and you don't have last minute surprises. The state could be doing a better job at communicating this.

I would even say permanent vote by mail should be a opt-out instead of a opt-in. It will have some upfront cost but it could increase turnout and maybe even save money long term by reducing the number of physical poll sites needed.

E: You could ask though what do you do about people without an address for whatever reason. Not sure.

Universal vote by mail is absolutely the way to go and it costs about a third as much as running polling stations.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Kaal posted:

Universal vote by mail is absolutely the way to go and it costs about a third as much as running polling stations.
Yes, but I think we need to work out some details better than how it works now.
  • Make sure houseless people/people that move often are not disenfranchised more than they already are.
  • Have an option to drop off ballot and witness it being scanned so you can trust you are being counted.
  • Figure out a way to replace lost ballots without forcing someone to take a provisional ballot.
  • Let people vote in open primaries without having to return that stupid postcard ahead of time.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

CopperHound posted:

• Have an option to drop off ballot and witness it being scanned so you can trust you are being counted.

You should be able to see it physically going into a ballot box today

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

CopperHound posted:

• Make sure houseless people/people that move often are not disenfranchised more than they already are.
  • Figure out a way to replace lost ballots without forcing someone to take a provisional ballot.
  • Let people vote in open primaries without having to return that stupid postcard ahead of time.

This stuff isn't a big mystery, Oregon figured it out 20 years ago. Apart from the corporate-friendly open primary system that is. California is on its own on that one.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

CopperHound posted:

Have an option to drop off ballot and witness it being scanned so you can trust you are being counted.

I don't even have this option when I vote in-person, here in SLO. They used to have scanners at each polling place, back in like 2002, but I guess they got too expensive, because now we just drop the ballots into a box after tearing off the useless little stub.

CopperHound posted:

Let people vote in open primaries without having to return that stupid postcard ahead of time.

Better idea: One ballot for everybody, top X candidates based on approval voting make it to the general election ballot, which is then decided with RCV. Just get the parties the gently caress out of it already. (This will never happen.) Also switch everything to multi-member districts.

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

CopperHound posted:

Orange County changed it up a bit this year and added some of this, specifically all registered voters were supposed to receive a mail-in ballot. The lost/damaged ballot process was updated as well. I messed up on my mail-in ballot and they printed a new one for me on the spot.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

There were 3 ballot measures in Berkeley (2 parcel taxes and 1 bond) to fund school infrastructure improvements and all passed by large margins.

If you're bummed from Super Tuesday, and want to see some homeowners melting down about having to pay $300-400 more in taxes annually, then I suggest you check out the comments on this Berkeleyside article:

https://www.berkeleyside.com/2020/03/03/initial-voting-results-show-strong-support-for-berkeley-school-measures

for some inexplicable reason the comments on Berkeleyside tend to be heavily fiscally conservative and not at all representative of the people who live and vote here.

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?
Overall SVDSA seems to have done decently on the endorsements (endorsements = actual support and canvassing etc, recommendations = at least vote for this one over the others)

https://twitter.com/sv_dsa/status/1235321020191563776?s=21

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

BattleHamster posted:

for some inexplicable reason the comments on Berkeleyside tend to be heavily fiscally conservative and not at all representative of the people who live and vote here.

Speaking out of my butt but I suspect some people may have a public opinion and a private opinion.

Also it's a hugbox.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I look like a MAGA chud and I assure you that a bunch of people have truly vile political opinions that they absolutely hide or lie about. I know, because they tell me them (they think I'm one of them)

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I look like a MAGA chud
Tell us about your gun collection and truck.

I like people who have guns and trucks who aren't maga chuds:kiddo:

E: Just please don't record videos in the cab of your truck while wearing wrap around sun glasses.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

I look like a MAGA chud and I assure you that a bunch of people have truly vile political opinions that they absolutely hide or lie about. I know, because they tell me them (they think I'm one of them)

Can confirm.

I grew up in a hick area and yeah.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

BeAuMaN posted:

What a pain in the rear end. They should just mail that poo poo out. I mean otherwise I like the fact that they're mailing out ballots, they have ballot boxes open 30 28 days before election and voting centers open 10 days before election, and they have drive up ballot boxes on election day. Like these are all good things, but you should get whatever crap you need mailed out to you.

(Are those changes state wide or just my county?)

I was mailed a form well before I got my ballot, it was a card I had to check like one box on and mail back, and then I got a ballot with the dem candidates on it, and I have not changed my affiliation (I am not a member of any party). It really wasn't hard, it just required noticing that a card in the mail wasn't junk mail. It's nice of the Democratic party to let me vote in their primary, and having to jump through one hoop to do it isn't "voter suppression" it's actually a totally voluntary willingness by a political party to let people explicitly not in their party take part in their internal decision-making about who they want to run for office.

And yeah there's one huge benefit to not joining a party that more than offsets that minor inconvenience: I don't get nearly as much bullshit junk mail and email and phone spam as my wife, who is registered D. It's like a convenient reminder that political parties are awful, every election cycle.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I see Campos is most likely going to end up in third for SS District 15. I guess the literal dozen plus of fliers I got about how she takes oil industry money did their job.

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?

Sydin posted:

I see Campos is most likely going to end up in third for SS District 15. I guess the literal dozen plus of fliers I got about how she takes oil industry money did their job.

Yeah, everyone was really able to run with it - I got a text from the Johnny Khamis campaign (GOP who went NPP, Howard Jarvis fanboy) saying something like "Hi, I'm a Democrat with nonpartisan Johnny Khamis - Big Oil + PG&E are spending big against us. Will you stand with Johnny for climate action?"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I "enjoyed" how most of the information I heard about my district's county supervisor race was that the challenger voted against a veteran's memorial while on a city council in 2007. Multiple mailers with pictures of frowning veterans asking, "Why doesn't Ellen Beraud support veterans???"

Also got a text about it. Told them to gently caress right the gently caress off and added, "Also, gently caress veterans." for good measure. They did not text back.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

https://twitter.com/GavinNewsom/status/1235740745325142016?s=20

Better than nothing, I guess

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

sorry newsoms a baller in many ways. he's definitely the solid cali gov we needed.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

They need to gaurantee sick leave pay for everyone. They built up that rainy day fund in Sacramento, and well, it's raining so use it to slow the spread and let people stay home without worrying about going broke. It's the best way at keeping the economy moving and people safe

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 6, 2020

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

sorry newsoms a baller in many ways. he's definitely the solid cali gov we needed.

I was worried when he took office but he's been surprisingly decent.

The Clitoris
Jan 29, 2020

Finding it makes all of your dreams come true

This happens to me all the time because I'm in Oil and Gas. I get a ton of Trumperism and global warming denialism on the beat. It sucks, and I hate it.

A peak :ssh:
https://www.latimes.com/environment/story/2020-03-05/deserted-oil-wells-los-angeles-toxic-fumes-cleanup-costs

The Clitoris fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 6, 2020

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

The Clitoris posted:

This happens to me all the time because I'm in Oil and Gas. I get a ton of Trumperism and global warming denialism on the beat. It sucks, and I hate it.

A peak :ssh:
https://www.latimes.com/environment/story/2020-03-05/deserted-oil-wells-los-angeles-toxic-fumes-cleanup-costs

Working for an engine building shop is insufferable for the customer and co worker chud factor. The racism too is crazy. I get the "he must be one of us" mentality from these idiots all the time.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Make him benevolent dictator for life and secede from the union to form a California Republic?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

Make him benevolent dictator for life and secede from the union to form a California Republic?

Nah he can be president of the US and run on a California first program.

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost

BattleHamster posted:

The only people who ever post comments on local news websites are from the homeowner/retiree petit-bourgeoisie, and their opinions on fiscal issues are always lovely and sociopathic.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

If Newsom actually takes over PG&E I'll start considering proposals for naming him Emperor Norton II, Protector of the Golden Coast, but until then I am uncertain.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I appreciate how much he's been willing to rattle the saber at capital in the state, with lots of implications that they have a limited time to make good and a low ceiling for pulling bullshit before California just takes them over and makes them do what we want.

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
Uphold Gavin Newsom Thought on Socialism with Californian Characteristics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

DukeDuke posted:

Uphold Gavin Newsom Thought on Socialism with Californian Characteristics

So liberalism?