Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
Right but you can say its policy or you can say that its premeditated. Like if they can prove or get a recording of a minister saying "we prioritize the economy/brexit over reducing deaths caused by the virus" can they be held up for violating the law? Isn't there some oath they take, that if they break it, means they can be in trouble?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Sneak Lemming posted:

Why do they keep saying the UK is 4 weeks behind other countries in terms of infection, when the cases show otherwise? (and now we cant track them because testing has stopped) - Where this this idea that we are a month behind come from?

XMNN posted:

think it's the number of deaths, maybe? we're up to 24 now, it's all going to have gone to poo poo by next Sunday at the latest imho

been in and out of hospital all week and based on overheard staff conversations they do not feel prepared

if this all goes massively tits up, it will be loving manslaughter on an industrial scale and I hope heads roll for it and not figuratively, I literally want to see Boris climbing a scaffold in Trafalgar square
Apart from one or two outliers, countries basically follow the same exponential curve for cases. (Adding 15-25% new cases a day) Assuming similar levels of testing, you can basically shift the curve for one country further along in their outbreak until it overlaps with another, giving you an indication of what's to come. How far you have to shift it indicates how far "behind" you are.

The actual first case in a given country might not match up with this analysis, but I think that basically comes down to two things: We don't know the actual number of infections, only official cases, and the steady exponential growth doesn't set in until you have enough infected that their behavior averages out. Like, there's a big difference between an introverted computer toucher, a preacher who directly touches thousands, or a literal death cult who deliberately infected each other before going out to infect everyone else, in terms of their ability to infect people. Given the same environment they're gonna end up on similar trajectories eventually, but the latter two could end up being "3-4 weeks ahead" of the first despite starting at the same time due to an early spike. Of course being "behind" also means you get a chance to see what's coming and implement measures to contain it earlier, changing that environment. Halve that 20% increase per day to a 10% increase, and you'll reduce your total number of cases to less than a tenth a month later. Halve it again and you're down to less than 2%.

Or you can go the other way, and try to use school children to rapidly inoculate the population. Which going by Korean statistics, is gonna result in a ton of non-symptomatic young adults who you (and they) will never realize are infected because you aren't testing them, going around infecting the rest of the population, causing a massive explosion of cases two weeks after you were supposed to close the schools if your plan was to work - and now you've got 10 times as many cases as you planned for, and your healthcare system can't treat all the patients so the mortality rate goes from 2% to 6%.

Sneak Lemming posted:

Right but you can say its policy or you can say that its premeditated. Like if they can prove or get a recording of a minister saying "we prioritize the economy/brexit over reducing deaths caused by the virus" can they be held up for violating the law? Isn't there some oath they take, that if they break it, means they can be in trouble?
The law means what the people interpreting it wants it to mean. If McDonnell's Revolutionary Tribunal is conducting the investigation, the entire Tory leadership will hang. If it's still Boris in charge then some doctors and nurses will be put on trial for failing England.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Sneak Lemming posted:

try to extend this to e.g. traffic deaths due to bad road maintenance or what not

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/chunkymark/status/1239261950745268224?s=20

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

yeah its up to us to make sure boris and his chums dont survive this one

in a totally theoretical way of course

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

V. Illych L. posted:

try to extend this to e.g. traffic deaths due to bad road maintenance or what not

I guess the difference is, do you benefit personally as the minister for transport in (mis)directing policy that will cause many more deaths, but net you, personally, some gain.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

British government taking their cues from thrillers as usual?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

https://twitter.com/TomTugendhat/status/1239312624346693633?s=20

does anyone know how to make ventilators??? plz send help. tomorrow.

worst response in the world. total loving failed state, amazing to see.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Communist Thoughts posted:

https://twitter.com/TomTugendhat/status/1239312624346693633?s=20

does anyone know how to make ventilators??? plz send help. tomorrow.

worst response in the world. total loving failed state, amazing to see.
*The entire UK comes together in a herculean effort to build ventilators and hospitals*
"We have to sell them to the US to strengthen our negotiation position with the EU!"

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
I'm now 100% convinced that all that herd immunity bullshit was just cover for the fact that boris had no idea what he was doing and just sat on his hands

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Gum posted:

I'm now 100% convinced that all that herd immunity bullshit was just cover for the fact that boris had no idea what he was doing and just sat on his hands

Seems pretty clear that the whole strategy was to avoid having to test people, because they knew it would have been a shambles like in America.
You can't gently caress up mass testing if you don't do mass testing

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

honestly, if i were british at this point i'd think hard about getting the gently caress out of the country

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

V. Illych L. posted:

honestly, if i were british at this point i'd think hard about getting the gently caress out of the country

My parents are doing exactly that; fleeing to their place in France.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/lifestyle/five-lovely-places-for-holidaying-in-britain-now-you-cant-go-abroad-20200316194566

quote:

The Scottish Highlands

Simply tell yourself that your midge bites are mosquito bites and your fleece-lined raincoat is a swimming costume and it’ll be like holidaying in the Italian Lakes, with no need to waste money on suncream. As a bonus, if you’re English you’ll be able to bask in the sense that the locals hate you, bringing back happy memories of holidays in France.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

V. Illych L. posted:

Sure m8, you can buy my ferry ticket and I'll come live on your couch

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

There's a new tv drama called Belgravia based on the same premise as downton abbey. Apparently not very successful. Here's the Daily Mail take as to why:

Daily Heil posted:

Writing in the Daily Mail, Jan Moir wrote: "Perhaps the problem is that so far there has been very little action from the Belgravia below-stairs mob, a fetid collection of stew guzzlers who plot against their Trenchard masters."

:guillotine:

Imma a fetid stew-guzzler, AMA

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol with boris still not calling for closures but pulling emergency support from any industry with public events he's just killed them all to protect insurance companies

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Jose posted:

lol with boris still not calling for closures but pulling emergency support from any industry with public events he's just killed them all to protect insurance companies

Gotta think of all those donors

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

yeah its up to us to make sure boris and his chums dont survive this one

in a totally theoretical way of course

It's important that their political careers die swiftly

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/n_srnck/status/1239619525173280770

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

*still votes tory*

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Love to be the government that makes Trumo look competent...

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Love to be the government that makes Trumo look competent...

https://twitter.com/annehelen/status/1239657671180972032?s=19

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lmao, in a sad way

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

lmao

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

can we sex up the thread title a little to get some more traffic in here.
i feel like there are plenty of posters who would enjoy watching our demise

i'm thinking like "10% mortality speedrun. no insurance. no vents." or something funnier and clever

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i'm concerned about your brain

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Stay safe Britgoons.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1239680856265981957?s=19

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

the bottom graph is absolutely insane

even the lowest peak is like 10x the capacity

they have hosed this

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

arent these business interruption insurance companies going to go bankrupt anyways kind of like how buying insurance on toxic assets to guarantee your profit was a bad idea (unless you get a bailout of the insurance company)

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

good news everybody! help is on the waY!

https://twitter.com/TVZone_/status/1239523758458777608

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
The tv licence inspector is the superspreader

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
https://twitter.com/hancocktom/status/1239669605586604032?s=19

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

So how's ye olde Brexit going?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Does this cancel the Labour Party election?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/st...ingawful.com%2F