Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Retarded Goatee posted:

Did they ever stop trying to poo poo up the SPD for long enough to form a coherent policy package?

they were pretty much killing each other in the streets, it wasn't exactly conductive to coalition building lol

also for the KPD revolution pretty much was their policy package

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Retarded Goatee posted:

Did they ever stop trying to poo poo up the SPD for long enough to form a coherent policy package?

Going to join the chorus of "poo poo was a two way straight, don't kid on the SPD were somehow not responsible for literally setting the Freikorps on the USPD/KPD", Ebert/Noske, literally class traitors. Remember when Eugen Levine, leader of the Bavarian Council Republic, was shot by firing squad whereas Hitler spent 8 months in jail for the Beer Hall Putsch. gently caress the SPD

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
gently caress the SPD, now and forever.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Orange Devil posted:

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Orange Devil posted:

Food banks have closed due to Corona, so now there is nothing to mitigate the - recently confirmed as unconstitutional - universal credit system the SPD implemented and administers in Germany.

Even as a junior partner the SPD's bodycount only goes up, up, up.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Venomous posted:

The entire talk is absolutely worth a watch, but that part has always stuck in my mind. Austerity breeds fascism, all the time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQuHSQXxsjM

Sure but it's not like Fascism was some isolated event in Germany at the time. There was also fascist or at least fascistoid Italy, Spain, Austria, Portugal, Greece and Yugoslavia. The nazis didn't exactly have a problem finding foreign volunteers for their armies and kill squads either which implies some degree of wider popular support. Rather than looking for the root causes of fascist sentiments by arbitrarily examining just Germany it's probably more sensible to look at Europe more generally.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it's class war, op

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Owling Howl posted:

Sure but it's not like Fascism was some isolated event in Germany at the time. There was also fascist or at least fascistoid Italy, Spain, Austria, Portugal, Greece and Yugoslavia. The nazis didn't exactly have a problem finding foreign volunteers for their armies and kill squads either which implies some degree of wider popular support. Rather than looking for the root causes of fascist sentiments by arbitrarily examining just Germany it's probably more sensible to look at Europe more generally.

Oh, I completely agree. I wasn't trying to create some sort of generalised route to fascism by isolating Germany's history, I was adding onto the discussion about austerity being horrible by saying it contributed to the rise of fascism in Germany. I'm not saying 'all fascist countries experienced periods of austerity', I'm just saying austerity can and often does lead to fascism, especially when there isn't a powerful opposing narrative to counteract it.

Venomous fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 18, 2020

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Truga posted:

it's class war, op

This. Italian blackshirts were basically thug hit squads that landowners and factory owners used to sic on trade unionists and cooperativist farmers. The fascist party collected substantial financing from latifundists and large businesses because they opposed the Communist party in a time when it was getting too uppity for its own good. Doesn't get more class-war-y than that.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

GABA ghoul posted:

You can spin it however you like, as an immigrant, I can tell you that nothing but the end of a rifle could ever force me to live in a German village. The amount of bigotry and nativism creeps the everliving poo poo out of me. At best, you are always just "one of the good ones". It's downright oppressive. We have huge labor shortages in rural areas all across the country and have had a lot of programs to try to attract desperate young people from other EU countries and the results are always the same. They stay for a couple of months, get depressed and horrified and run for the hills. It doesn't work out.
:hai:
so loving true

V. Illych L. posted:

i mean i'm talking from a norwegian perspective here but in the sixties and seventies we had educated young people moving from the cities to smaller towns etc and settling down, it's eminently achievable if one enacts appropriate policy

society is what we make it, it is not governed by immutable forces beyond the ken of mortals

but why is pointing the money hose at villages/small towns the goal we should pursue, instead of pointing the money hose at whatever way of life is actually ecologically sustainable even if you personally think cities are ugly or uncultured or whatever

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

suck my woke dick posted:

:hai:
so loving true

but why is pointing the money hose at villages/small towns the goal we should pursue, instead of pointing the money hose at whatever way of life is actually ecologically sustainable even if you personally think cities are ugly or uncultured or whatever

We should find ways to make multiple ways of life as ecologically sustainable as possible, because human happiness is itself a worthy goal to pursue and must be balanced against other considerations, and everyone likes different things.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

PT6A posted:

We should find ways to make multiple ways of life as ecologically sustainable as possible, because human happiness is itself a worthy goal to pursue and must be balanced against other considerations, and everyone likes different things.

yeah but until you hit a threshold where efficiencies of scale have largely happened (probably somewhere around living in a small-medium town), country life is inherently less sustainable due to increased land use and extra resources/energy required due to duplicated infrastructure

if you want to live on a country estate for the hell of it you gotta pay environmental damage tax for that country estate either directly or through not getting the money hose (you may, if applicable, seek relief by doing ecologically-beneficial forms of land use) and if you're a farmer then it should be priced into your product to stop making everyone pay for your externalities

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

and if you're a farmer then it should be priced into your product to stop making everyone pay for your externalities

capital idea, that will allow them to be priced out of competition by farmers from China, Brazil and Malaysia, who are so much better than us at not damaging the environment.

Plus stuff like battery farming which are also so much better for the environment because decreased land use and less redundant infrastructure it's obvious it's better, what do you mean the pig piss is so concentrated it causes toxic algae bloom

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

yeah but until you hit a threshold where efficiencies of scale have largely happened (probably somewhere around living in a small-medium town), country life is inherently less sustainable due to increased land use and extra resources/energy required due to duplicated infrastructure

if you want to live on a country estate for the hell of it you gotta pay environmental damage tax for that country estate either directly or through not getting the money hose (you may, if applicable, seek relief by doing ecologically-beneficial forms of land use) and if you're a farmer then it should be priced into your product to stop making everyone pay for your externalities

Theres a pretty big difference between normal/most people's "country life" that people are defending and "living on a country estate". I don't think anyone is going to argue that everyone living in aristocratic landed mansions is in anyway sustainable.

Country life in medium sized houses in/near towns/villages of 1,500-10,000 people is a lot more common, fits the "rural idyllic" in most people's minds, and is fairly sustainable. Its generally a good compromise of quiet life in the countryside, having lots of access to green areas, but while also having a concentration of services in the village.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
no, it's more ecologically sustainable to build a single giant capsule hotel and park all 8 billion humans in it

even more sustainable if you then drop a nuke on it

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Cat Mattress posted:

no, it's more ecologically sustainable to build a single giant capsule hotel and park all 8 billion humans in it

even more sustainable if you then drop a nuke on it

Is this a judge Dredd reference

Also the idea some people itt have about not living in a city better describes a hermit than your usual countryside citizen.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 18, 2020

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

capital idea, that will allow them to be priced out of competition by farmers from China, Brazil and Malaysia, who are so much better than us at not damaging the environment.

Plus stuff like battery farming which are also so much better for the environment because decreased land use and less redundant infrastructure it's obvious it's better, what do you mean the pig piss is so concentrated it causes toxic algae bloom

There is such a thing as import tariffs. One might try to set them depending on how terribad the imported product is for the environment, amounting to a ban on particularly poo poo producers.

Also, yes, 500 million battery chickens will destroy the environment less than 500 million free range chickens. Spreading the resulting sludge out over a wider area doesn't make it better at the scales we're talking about (also note that due to how much animal rights attention batteries attracted any battery that would still be legal to operate in a developed country would actually be better for the chickens than eg barn keeping). If you object to 0.5 gigachicken in batteries then your issue is with 0.5 gigachicken, not that they're in batteries.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cat Mattress posted:

You're obviously being sarcastic here, so you're kinda defeating your own argument? If Chinese products are environmentally damaging then they'd also get slapped with taxes that'd make European products competitive again.

Also, yes, 500 million battery chickens will destroy the environment less than 500 million free range chickens. Spreading the resulting sludge out over a wider area doesn't make it better at the scales we're talking about (also note that due to how much animal rights attention batteries attracted any battery that would still be legal to operate in a developed country would actually be better for the chickens than eg barn keeping). If you object to 0.5 gigachicken in batteries then your issue is with 0.5 gigachicken, not that they're in batteries.
Yeah, at the scales of agricultural production we're dealing with, spreading production out over a larger area doesn't actually do much if anything. Like, the pollution ends up flowing into the same rivers and streams, before flowing out into the exact same spot on the coast.

That said, if you started to mandate reed bed treatment systems or things like that for every farm you might have more luck in a more decentralized system? Not sure how they scale, but I wouldn't be surprised if they'd be more efficient at a sort of medium size. Plus a bunch of smaller ones are probably better in terms of biodiversity, instead of creating just a few massive impassable boundaries of monoculture.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Yeah so a study came out yesterday that said Dutch megabarns (which are some of the largest megabarns in the world) are somewhere in the neighbourhood of 10 times more likely to catch fire than smaller barns. A million animals burned to death in the Netherlands due to this in 2018. So... no.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like that should buy you at least enough divine intervention to sort this plague out.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
We didn't even save up enough gold to rush buy new hospitals

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Rush gold you say?

quote:

ECB to launch €750bn bond-buying programme
Pandemic Emergency Purchase Programme will cover sovereign and corporate debt

The European Central Bank has announced plans to buy an additional €750bn in bonds after holding an emergency call of its rate-setting committee on Wednesday night in response to the worsening economic and financial turmoil caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

The central bank said all the extra asset purchases would be carried out this year and cover both sovereign bonds and corporate debt. Dubbed the Pandemic Emergency Purchase Programme, it would last until the coronavirus crisis is judged to be over.

“Extraordinary times require extraordinary action,” ECB president Christine Lagarde said on Twitter after the measures were announced. “There are no limits to our commitment to the euro. We are determined to use the full potential of our tools, within our mandate.”

The ECB also decided to expand the range of assets eligible for purchase to non-financial commercial paper and to ease its collateral standards to allow banks to raise money against more of their assets, including corporate finance claims.

“The governing council of the ECB is committed to playing its role in supporting all citizens of the euro area through this extremely challenging time,” it said in a statement. “The governing council will do everything necessary within its mandate.”

The move failed to soothe investors with S&P 500 futures falling more than 2 per cent in Asian trading. “The euro area has caught up with the US: both legs of economic policy, monetary and fiscal, are now providing massive support,” said Gilles Moec, chief economist at Axa.

Emmanuel Macron, the French president, also expressed his “full support” for the ECB’s “exceptional measures”, writing on Twitter that it was now time for eurozone governments to act more aggressively on the fiscal side. “Our people and our economies need it,” he wrote.

Economists have been calling for the ECB to increase its bond-buying programme, which has already collected €2.6tn of assets, particularly since the borrowing costs of southern eurozone countries, including Italy and Greece, began rising sharply to levels not seen for more than a year.

The ECB opened the door to buy Greek sovereign bonds for the first time since the country’s sovereign debt crisis by announcing a waiver for its debt under the new asset-purchase programme.

Another option for the ECB to repair market confidence would be to lift its self-imposed limits to not buy more than a third of the eligible sovereign bonds of any single country and to purchase sovereign bonds in proportion to the weight of each country’s investment in its capital.

The ECB signalled this was under consideration, saying: “To the extent that some self-imposed limits might hamper action that the ECB is required to take in order to fulfil its mandate, the governing council will consider revising them to the extent necessary to make its action proportionate to the risks that we face.”

Melvyn Krauss, a senior fellow at Stanford University’s Hoover Institution, said: “The only way the ECB can calm European bond markets and be creditable about it is to relax the self-imposed political constraints like issue limits.”

The latest €750bn package comes on top of last week’s €120bn extra purchases and means the ECB will buy more than €1tn of bonds in the next nine months — its highest ever pace of purchases.

Last week, the ECB gave itself more capacity to buy bonds issued by Italy and other eurozone countries by increasing its existing €20bn-per-month programme of asset purchases by the extra €120bn over the course of this year. It also beefed up the cheap loans it offers to banks and granted lenders various forms of capital relief.

However, since then eurozone countries have imposed more severe lockdowns on their residents as the coronavirus continued to spread, forcing a shut down of retailers and other consumer activities. Both the US Federal Reserve and the Bank of England have in recent days announced extra measures to shield their economies from the lockdown and to inject liquidity into financial markets.

Bruno Le Maire, France’s finance minister, added to pressure on the ECB earlier on Wednesday, saying: “All of the instruments available to the European Central Bank should be used quickly and massively.” He added: “I’m watching the interest rates everyday, we want the European Union to show its determination and its solidarity.” 

It is rare for the ECB to change monetary policy outside of its scheduled meetings every six weeks, which is something it has only done a few times before, usually in a co-ordinated move with other central banks, such as after the 2008 financial crisis and 2001 terrorist attacks.

Ms Lagarde told EU leaders this week that if the lockdown of many households and businesses continued for as long as a month it would knock 2 percentage points off the central bank’s forecast for eurozone growth of 0.8 per cent this year.

If the freeze on many business and consumer activities lasted three months, the ECB estimates it would knock more than 5 percentage points off growth this year.

This has increased the pressure on the ECB to do more, prompting its governing council members to hold Wednesday evening’s emergency call. Earlier on Wednesday, the ECB took the unusual step of issuing a statement to deny a claim by Robert Holzmann, the outspoken head of Austria’s central bank and a member of the ECB governing council, that its monetary policy had reached its limits. 

Ms Lagarde was also forced to beat a hasty retreat and to issue an apology to the rest of the council last week after she said it was not the ECB’s role to “close the spread” in sovereign debt markets — referring to the gap between Italian and German bond yields that is a key risk indicator for Italy. 

That triggered a bond market sell-off, pushing Italian government bond yields — and thus Italy’s debt financing costs — up. Yields rise when prices fall.

Money for the money gods!

Honestly I'm not opposed to any of this, but it would be much more helpful if EU states all did what Denmark did and guarantee salaries and suspend rents. Once people start being evicted in the middle of this crisis it's gonna be nasty beyond belief.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Junior G-man posted:

Rush gold you say?

Money for the money gods!

Honestly I'm not opposed to any of this, but it would be much more helpful if EU states all did what Denmark did and guarantee salaries and suspend rents. Once people start being evicted in the middle of this crisis it's gonna be nasty beyond belief.

AFAIK Italy has also just recently suspended mortgages, rents and deferred taxes. Also for all legitimately employed (long story) who are unable to work there should be state-guaranteed worker's comp at 80% salary.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I wonder if anyone is going to conclude from all this that landlords are parasites who don't contribute anything to society and we can function better without them, actually.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Orange Devil posted:

I wonder if anyone is going to conclude from all this that landlords are parasites who don't contribute anything to society and we can function better without them, actually.

Beyond this forum and maybe a few other lefty spots on the old world wide web? No. It's those unable to work, fleeing war or extreme poverty or those who don't make kissy faces at the capitalist overlords who are the real parasites.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
So the ECB is purchasing more sovereign bonds.

What about oil company debt like during QE? And will they buy stocks?

Ibreally thought Deutsche bank was keeling over this time, but the more timid money hose (hasnt the us thrown $3tn at the stock market?) Makes me wonder if the problem is on the other side of the Atlantic.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Orange Devil posted:

Whenever this is all over, it's gonna be really, really impressive to see how fast capital and its media handmaidens are gonna work to put the genie back in the bottle and pretend that landlords, zero hours, high utility costs, and privatised healthcare are actually good.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Orange Devil posted:

Yeah so a study came out yesterday that said Dutch megabarns (which are some of the largest megabarns in the world) are somewhere in the neighbourhood of 10 times more likely to catch fire than smaller barns. A million animals burned to death in the Netherlands due to this in 2018. So... no.

Just a purely anecdotal observation but to me it looks like more and more info like this is coming out in the last few years. Stuff that's throwing shade on the idea of centralization being always good or more efficient.

I also remember a finnish study that took into account things like the carbon impact of consumption and stuff like "shared utilities" like malls, restaurants and public transport and flying. And found that people in the metropoles, in Finland at least, have a higher carbon footprint because they consume more services and goods.

People in the countryside have got to drive more, but they shop less, they go to restaurants, movies and malls much less, don't use the citys public transport, generally have less money for consumption left over from lower wages outside the cities. And they fly abroad less. All in all this meant their carbon footprints were lower, per capita. Consumption patterns is something this study was a pioneer in and something that's still quite overlooked when doing these lifestyle comparisons.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

Just a purely anecdotal observation but to me it looks like more and more info like this is coming out in the last few years. Stuff that's throwing shade on the idea of centralization being always good or more efficient.

Diseconomies of scale is a real thing.

Edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diseconomies_of_scale

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You're obviously being sarcastic here, so you're kinda defeating your own argument? If Chinese products are environmentally damaging then they'd also get slapped with taxes that'd make European products competitive again.

Oh yeah? Who's gonna tax the Chinese farms? Who's gonna measure how much they pollute to assess how much they should be taxed? If China does it, they'll cheat. It Europe does it, China will retaliate.

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008
https://twitter.com/carolynnlook/status/1240566290617638912?s=21

so it seems the ECB is making some moves while leaving things such as rates, credits cuts and taxes to each central bank/government to manage.

Seems good? I barely understand it but it makes me - the regular citizen - more hopeful that things are moving so that’s good? :downs:

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

"The ECB also decided to expand the range of assets eligible for purchase to non-financial commercial paper and to ease its collateral standards to allow banks to raise money against more of their assets, including corporate finance claims"

L
M
A
O

Ok sure why the gently caress not

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

"The ECB also decided to expand the range of assets eligible for purchase to non-financial commercial paper and to ease its collateral standards to allow banks to raise money against more of their assets, including corporate finance claims"

L
M
A
O

Ok sure why the gently caress not

this will surely have no repercussions down the road

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Yes what could go wrong in the face of the global recession-tsunami headed our way

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Just helicopter money straight to the people.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Merkel said this is the biggest challenge since WW2.

You know what won WW2? Planned economies did. The Soviets, the Brits and the Americans went full planned economy throughout the entire war and that poo poo worked*. Every day our leaders don't realize this is a day wasted.

Abolish the market and direct resources straight to where they are needed.

*For comparison, the Nazi's didn't go full planned economy until 1942, at which point they managed to triple arms production before late '44 even in spite of the strategic bombing the Allies were doing (sidenote: strategic bombing is dumb as hell and never accomplishes any of its stated objectives in any war it's been tried) and that's with the Nazi party and economic structure being a complete disorganized mess intentionally designed to spark competition and duplication of effort. So like, even a lovely planned economy worked three times better.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Mar 19, 2020

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

*For comparison, the Nazi's didn't go full planned economy until 1942, at which point they managed to triple arms production before late '44 even in spite of the strategic bombing the Allies were doing (sidenote: strategic bombing is dumb as hell and never accomplishes any of its stated objectives in any war it's been tried) and that's with the Nazi party and economic structure being a complete disorganized mess intentionally designed to spark competition and duplication of effort. So like, even a lovely planned economy worked three times better.

I wouldn't quite call the German economy a market economy though. It was very much driven by military procurement which essentially worked to suck up almost all of Germany's industrial manufacture, which tanked German exports and left the economy utterly starved of foreign currency reserves. 1942 is more the date from which the Germans begin to actually mobilize their economy towards total war, because before this many of the top Nazis, including Hitler, had been very wary of disrupting the civilian economy too much, because they largely sincerly bought into the stab-in-the-back myth and believed that civilian dissent (driven by those Jewish Bolsheviks and war-profiteers) as a result of deprivation was one of the primary reasons Germany had lost the last war.

There are other reasons (besides the Third Reich's insitutional chaos) also why the German economy never managed to be as efficient as their enemies (particularly the Americans and Soviets), and a large part of the reason is that German manufacturing was relatively old-fashioned in its organization and the layout of its factories, and they weren't truly capable of assembly line mass production in the same manner (the Soviets had actually invited and employed many of the best American industrial architects to design and organize their factories in the 20s and 30s) as they were.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

His Divine Shadow posted:

Just helicopter money straight to the people.

This. If demand is the issue (as its going to be this/next month) then helicopter money is the fastest way to get people to actually spend, given anywhere up to 70% of the population even in richer countries have less than €1,000 in savings.

Plus its just morally the right thing to do - it'll help stop people who're now out of work worrying about food, or rent, money for at least a few weeks.

Hong Kong gave every adult citizen $1200usd recently. And if the god drat Trump administration of all people can see the benefits of this, and is planning on going ahead with it, then we really should be doing the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008
seems that EUR/USD crashed after the news from ECB and everyone buying dollars, have no idea what this will mean to me in a parallel EU currency vs EUR