Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

V. Illych L. posted:

didn't britain literally just round up black people and deport them to jamaica if they couldn't produce ludicrous levels of documentation

no.

they did that after britain threw away all the documents lol

the official guidelines advised people to affect a local accent to avoid being attacked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

K9 posted:

i'm not saying there isn't loads of racism in britain, just that i don't think it's a defining part of our national character like some would have you think

British history suggests otherwise op!

I'm not sure if you're joking but if not, then that's the whitest post I've ever read

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
There seem to be a lot of British people who think the British empire exists. Remember when they were all "Ireland should know their place and not cause us hassle with Brexit"?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Communist Thoughts posted:

i'd actually say the opposite. most british people aren't personally racist but the country is institutionally racist as an unresolved legacy of the empire and its a defining part of our national character

i would agree with that. there's no specific anglo-centric Racism Gene, particularly prevalent due to a historic diet of turnips, mutton and incest that would, in isolation, cause a british child raised in captivity to inherently distrust black people.

but because everyone's been brought up in an institutionally racist culture, everyone votes to hit their own dick with a hammer if it means showing Johnny Foriegner what for

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

also

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/cbill/58-01/0122/en/20122en.pdf

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

but because everyone's been brought up in an institutionally racist culture, everyone votes to hit their own dick with a hammer if it means showing Johnny Foriegner what for
Is this why Britain hates transwomen so much? Because they think they're trying to shirk an Englishman's duty to hit his own dick with a hammer?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Don't forget the pedophilia endemic to the British ruling class!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Is this why Britain hates transwomen so much? Because they think they're trying to shirk an Englishman's duty to hit his own dick with a hammer?

It's really only a particular part of the media class (& mostly Gen-X & Boomers in that sub-class) liberals who are utterly obsessed with the imagined threat of trans people. But because they all have columns or appear on TV they have a louder voice than they should

K9
May 6, 2007

oliwan posted:

British history suggests otherwise op!

I'm not sure if you're joking but if not, then that's the whitest post I've ever read

you mustn't have read this one then

Horseshoe theory posted:

Which is correct - Enoch Powell and Oswald Mosley were born several decades too early.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

In the UK papers for "smart people", the financial times thinks Japan is doing better than us at coronavirus because of "a culture of obedience" and the independent thinks that Africa is handling the pandemic better because maybe the virus can't infect black people cause theyr so different.

I don't know enough to know if we pioneered the strict racial hierarchy stuff but our entire empire ran on it for centuries and it's still a deep unconscious assumption in British society.

Africans are strong but dumb and make good slaves, native Americans make poor slaves so must be exterminated, the Indians are servile but weak and poor workers so they have to be dealt with firmly, the east asians are inscrutable but servile and clever and the second most civilised race, white people are the administrators and rulers.

This stuff was explicit and the foundation of the empire, which existed very recently. The bringing civilisation thing was a post-hoc justification for looting inferior races to put their resources in better hands.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
they just don't teach us anything about the empire lol

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE2OzGfIDLQ

(he actually said muslamic rape camps but lmao im not searching for that)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
approximately how old were some of you when you started to really comprehend the magnitude of what Britain used to be?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bust Rodd posted:

approximately how old were some of you when you started to really comprehend the magnitude of what Britain used to be?

I was born knowing it. This is why I cries, as a baby, at the sheer psychic weight of the horrors I had inherited responsibility for

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zLuGwQyLyE

this was broadcast on BBC one less than a decade ago and went almost entirely without comment

it is not the only black face character on the show

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Jose posted:

i learned it all from reading the Flashman books, and that's also where i get my Advanced Racial Theories from

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

25ish. we never learnt a minute of it in history. I wouldnt be surprised if half the people who went to school with me don't really know we ever had an empire

i was reading about various historical empires and realised how they all got that big through increasing levels of violence so i figured i'd have a look into the british empire
at the time (i'm not old, this was recently) there was absolutely nothing at all in mainstream bookshops that was anything less than breathless fantasising, like stuff called "Why They Called It GREAT Britain" and general niall ferguson genocide denial
whats funny is they all claimed to be the non-politically-correct version of history since there were appearently loads of invisble books that said it was bad and were wrong

i managed to find a book about churchill from india's perspective called Churchill's Secret War, i already knew he was a oval office but it was kinda eye opening how murderous he was towards India, and he's a recent figure

nowadays theres more mainstream options if you want to find out the truth, but they're still not really sold widely in bookshops. usually there is at least one though.
Late Victorian Holocausts, From the Ruins of Empire, Insurgent Empire, Inglorious Empire etc

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Jose posted:

i get a lot of milage out of this image

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

In a few decades, Scarfolk books will be considered authentic accounts of the final years of a dead island.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

In the UK papers for "smart people", the financial times thinks Japan is doing better than us at coronavirus because of "a culture of obedience" and the independent thinks that Africa is handling the pandemic better because maybe the virus can't infect black people cause theyr so different.

I don't know enough to know if we pioneered the strict racial hierarchy stuff but our entire empire ran on it for centuries and it's still a deep unconscious assumption in British society.

Africans are strong but dumb and make good slaves, native Americans make poor slaves so must be exterminated, the Indians are servile but weak and poor workers so they have to be dealt with firmly, the east asians are inscrutable but servile and clever and the second most civilised race, white people are the administrators and rulers.

This stuff was explicit and the foundation of the empire, which existed very recently. The bringing civilisation thing was a post-hoc justification for looting inferior races to put their resources in better hands.

It is kind of interesting to compare the big Americas colonizers and how they reacted to the natives.

Spain and Portugal abused the natives horribly, but mixed with them. On large scales even in some spots.

The English abused them as well, but stayed away from mixing with them. Always there was some degree of segregation at the forefront. And this same pattern was visible in both the New England colonies and Virginia one, which were wildly different culturally/religiously otherwise.
Where you did see some mixture it usually meant the mixed kids were identified as natives and not English.

Grape has issued a correction as of 19:40 on Mar 19, 2020

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Grape posted:

It is kind of interesting to compare the big Americas colonizers and how they reacted to the natives.

Spain and Portugal abused the natives horribly, but mixed with them. On large scales even in some spots.

The English abused them as well, but stayed away from mixing with them. Always there was some degree of segregation at the forefront. And this same pattern was visible in both the New England colonies and Virginia one, which were wildly different culturally/religiously otherwise.
Where you did see some mixture it usually meant the mixed kids were identified as natives and not English.

yeah, I don't know enough about the other euro empires but it does seem to have been a firm thing in the british empire that it was shameful to mix with a society we had dominated.

you can see it when the british first arrive in india, not as conquerors but as traders, loads of them get married to indians and even convert to islam and hinduism (indians are way hotter than us after all)
then once we started conquering the place that all stopped and sorta got erased from the history books because they were now untermensch

Sailor Cat
Aug 28, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grape posted:

The English have always been more distant colonizers than the Spanish or French. You can see it in their occupation of Ireland, and how few strayed from Dublin and the North over centuries.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

V. Illych L. posted:

didn't britain literally just round up black people and deport them to jamaica if they couldn't produce ludicrous levels of documentation

Yes but that was a one-off racism not deeply ingrained racism

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1240642225282994176

e: wait, have people gotten less satisified with the jam communist after a media blackout on him

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

e: wait, have people gotten less satisified with the jam communist after a media blackout on him

the media is unsurmountable lol, or at least is the major issue that every left movement is going to have to deal with somehow.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

The British Liberal government refused to accept wording in the foundation of the League of Nations that people had the right to self determination and on racial equality (really pissing off the Japanese) because that would give legitimacy to the Indian independence movement

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

he's invisible and on his way out, atm he really is a pretty bad LOTO because of his lame duck status

still johnson's approval being up during his absolutely horrendous and unequivocal bungling of covid-19 shows that there's something very wrong with the british press

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

V. Illych L. posted:

he's invisible and on his way out, atm he really is a pretty bad LOTO because of his lame duck status

still johnson's approval being up during his absolutely horrendous and unequivocal bungling of covid-19 shows that there's something very wrong with the british press

There's something very wrong with the british people

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
It's not particularly bad here yet is the reason his numbers aren't tanking

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Jose posted:

It's not particularly bad here yet is the reason his numbers aren't tanking

Unless you have the media saying this is your fault, national tragedies are good for the person in charge. The majority of the population is going to view anything that happened as unavoidable and any response other than dwyering yourself as handling it as well as possible. statesmanlike to the max.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Unless you have the media saying this is your fault, national tragedies are good for the person in charge. The majority of the population is going to view anything that happened as unavoidable and any response other than dwyering yourself as handling it as well as possible. statesmanlike to the max.

I am 100% certain that this is going to be the case.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
yep, a majority of people thought he was doing a good job when the plan was still to do nothing and let 250,000+ people die, who knows how many he'll have won over with his new plan to do almost nothing and maybe not let 250,000+ people die

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
and let’s not forget the irony that among the 250,000 deaths the majority will be red-faced gammon Brexit voters who wanted to keep England for the English.

it’s literally a suicide cult at this point

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

still sort of waiting for the first actual government response, tbh

saying "huh maybe think about not gathering so much" doesn't count.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

still sort of waiting for the first actual government response, tbh

saying "huh maybe think about not gathering so much" doesn't count.

yeah they're STILL not doing anything.

i wonder if there is a factional dispute behind the scenes between the "do something" crew and the "kill everyone herd immunity lol" crew
so they're compromising by only doing a few things but still killing everyone

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
wait the U.K. hasn’t closed bars and restaurants or banned large gatherings yet?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

wait the U.K. hasn’t closed bars and restaurants or banned large gatherings yet?

Well, see, a fair number of them are run by Brexit donors, sooo...

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i wasn't kidding about the british government's response to the crisis being unequivocal bungling. nobody honest who's been following this fiasco can possibly believe that johnson's been doing a good job, it is objectively true that he's hosed up on a massive scale already by relying on the wrong model to inform his policy. that this has not been conveyed to the british public is an obvious and objective defect of the country's press

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

the gammon line actually appears to be that the herd immunity strategy would have worked but the labour party and MSM have forced boris' hand so any deaths will be on them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

the government has advised people not to go to bars and restaurants, and has advised people not to hold large gatherings

all the places closing and events shutting are private responses. which sucks for insurance!