Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Cat Mattress posted:

"The Lost Levels"? Are they really called like this? It makes it sound like they're reheated levels that were found on the cutting room floor; instead of something brand-new. The map shown looks pretty cool, which isn't a surprise.

I think it's meant to be a Nintendo joke, given Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels and Doom 64 originally being a N64 game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

meteor9 posted:

I'm finding the controls to be just a bit off feeling, for some reason. Turning with the mouse is okay most of the time, but will randomly just start spinning infinitely, and even with smoothing and such turned off it still doesn't feel accurate to mouse movement. And sometimes the game just drops movement inputs on the WASD keys, and while there's a possibility that might just be me hitting the keyboard's simultaneous key limit, it's something that never happens when I play the last 20 years or so of Doom wads.

Maybe I'm just missing some settings somewhere?

Uhh, hmm. I hate to say it but this seems like a system problem somehow. We've never heard of symptoms like this before for any Kex3 game. It does indeed sound like your keyboard is somehow just dropping arbitrary on/off signals, can considering we are using SDL2 that's really quite strange given it uses raw input.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
I know I should be excited for Doom Eternal but holy hell, Doom 64! windmill slammed that right into my library, but I'll probably wait for an Eternal sale.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I'm 3 levels into Doom Eternal and from what I've experienced so far and the preview levels they've shown since Quakecon 2018 it's safe to say they've gotten comfortable with the new take on the franchise being a first person Devil May Cry/Bayonetta/Stylish Action Game or what have you. There's some minor looping, side areas where you have to collect keys and more normal non-arena combat, but it's mostly pushing forward, so unless something changes near the end anyone expecting mini-hub levels like the Foundry or Argent Complex (? I think that was its name) where you explore an area completing multiple objectives is going to be disappointed. I don't mind since I thought those levels exposed nuDoom's flaws - movement speed outside combat is extremely slow and not suited for exploration in large areas unlike old Doom where you could exploit the diagonal speed boost, and the vanishing demons make it so there's no joy in going through a previously cleared area unlike older shooters (nuWolf sort of kept this to some level, curiously enough), same with the iffy way the engine handles incidental enemies if you move too far or don't do things in the intended order (the Hell Knights in the '16 Foundry level). So far that's been replaced by the platforming and environmental hazards, which I like because there's some tricky areas where what you have to do replicates the split-second thinking of the combat very well.

Trimming some of the fat of Doom 2016 - keyword: some. there's still like 5 upgrade currencies and level challenges (Pro Tip: Spend the first few Sentinel Coins you get on the unlock that shows you all collectibles) - and focusing on the combat and frantic pacing present during that game's final act definitely helped. Expanded enemy variety, weak points, lives system (lives are carried over through levels and that helps in the combat challenge rooms which don't gently caress around), more balanced arsenal (though the shotgun sticky bomb is still stupid useful), improved level variety and some rather clever secrets which act as mini-puzzles is all great. There's also plenty of Romero-tier rear end in a top hat moves in terms of enemy placement or trap room fake-outs that border on Serious Sam levels of rear end in a top hat behavior at times which is especially surprising for a big budget game. When it comes to gameplay this is easily better than Doom 2016 since it's much more confident in what it wants to be rather than trying to please every single person who enjoyed a game from over two decades ago.

On the writing front the story is the kind of rather dull show you'd get if Doom 2016 didn't have Hayden's ironic bravado and the "DoomGuy is Murder Jesus" plot point isn't as novel as it was the first time. It starts in media res and you're left to figure out what happened by reading collectibles which are all about The Noun which Verbed The Noun of the Noun. The Slayer still doesn't care as he walks away or cocks his shotgun in half the scant skippable cutscenes there are when the lore starts dripping into the gameplay, so you shouldn't either. It really wants you to care about all these Lost Kingdom of Cum, Fr'ank Zap'a, The Murder Mitten but unlike something like Sekiro, which structurally in terms of narrative (minimalistic cutscenes, plenty of optional lore) is the closest analogue I've played recently, there's no real human pathos so the whole "isn't this universe so mysterious???" aspect comes across as laughable and not in an intentional way.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

That green HUD looks decidedly Quake 4-like to me.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

120 degree FOV 4 lyfe

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Rocket Pan posted:

That only covers half of the problem that I mentioned. The level geometry still has some design limits.

That's cosmetic, presumably you wouldn't be able to break the game by viewing level geometry that looks a bit weird from certain angles.

Not having vertical look just feels wrong, even if the frustum was narrow it would still be an improvement or if the option came with a warning, perhaps just make it a cvar. Think of it as an accessibility setting.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/PuppetCombo/status/1240825967511326723

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

SCheeseman posted:

That's cosmetic, presumably you wouldn't be able to break the game by viewing level geometry that looks a bit weird from certain angles.

Not having vertical look just feels wrong, even if the frustum was narrow it would still be an improvement or if the option came with a warning, perhaps just make it a cvar. Think of it as an accessibility setting.

Freelook can't happen, sorry. It just isn't meant for this port, it's design and intent is to leave the presentation intact as it was.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 20, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That is some Resident Hills mashup presentation but still laughed at the door

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I was confused as to why like half the threads in the Steam community discussion for Doom 64 was about mouselook. I thought it was mostly folks being trolling assholes about a port of an old game, but I guess Doom 64 EX had it as a feature (I never messed around with it).

Is there much of a difference between the versions released on Steam or Bethesda's launcher? As in, does the game require I run a launcher to play the game, or can I just download the game, move the files to wherever I want, and then play the game without needing either launcher?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Woof, I never played Doom 64 but those enemy and weapon sprites are rough and almost unfinished looking compared to the original games, what gives?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Deakul posted:

Woof, I never played Doom 64 but those enemy and weapon sprites are rough and almost unfinished looking compared to the original games, what gives?
Pre-rendered 3D was cool in the mid-90s.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Kins posted:

Pre-rendered 3D was cool in the mid-90s.

It's the reason I still haven't played it, the enemy art is ugly. Even at the end of the 90s. Why they hell replace the original sprites if you are going to put uglier looking ones in exchange?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Doom 64 sprites look way better than the Doom 1/2 sprites, but the lack of super shotgun reload is a significant handicap

manero
Jan 30, 2006

DOOM64 looked great on a CRT back in the day

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

manero posted:

DOOM64 looked great on a CRT back in the day

Pretty much this.

cuc
Nov 25, 2013
It's awesome that Doom 64 has old school key binding - a key for multiple purposes and vice versa, but is there a way to clear (delete) an existing binding, especially when using a gamepad?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws_UcFb23LA

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Apparently your Bethesda login details are stored in plain text in the installation folder which uh... isn't ideal?

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
fuckin laffo that this is a thing in 2020

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Can Arkane just take over all of Bethesda it's obvious they're the Ion Storm Austin of the two.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Convex posted:

And the scariest spiders in all of videogames

I think SS2's were even worse, since those fuckers could jump.

Back in the day there was a collaborative effort on the TTLG forums to build a mod that would delete the spiders, so some of the arachnophobic board members could still enjoy SS2.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Turin Turambar posted:

It's the reason I still haven't played it, the enemy art is ugly. Even at the end of the 90s. Why they hell replace the original sprites if you are going to put uglier looking ones in exchange?

If they kept the original Doom sprites they’d get blurred to hell just from being on the N64. Probably wouldn’t look very good, thus the redesign.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
whats the difference between overall brightness and environmental brightness

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

skasion posted:

The Doom 64 sprites look way better than the Doom 1/2 sprites, but the lack of super shotgun reload is a significant handicap

what

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Doomguy in Doom 64 learned how to reload the super shotgun from his buddy the Ranger from Quake.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

cuc posted:

It's awesome that Doom 64 has old school key binding - a key for multiple purposes and vice versa, but is there a way to clear (delete) an existing binding, especially when using a gamepad?

Press the exact same key to unbind it. It's a toggle.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Well my copy of Doom Eternal is missing the code for Doom 64, so now I have to go yell at Amazon about this

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

drrockso20 posted:

Well my copy of Doom Eternal is missing the code for Doom 64, so now I have to go yell at Amazon about this

And it turns out that Bethesda did some silly stuff relating to their club service in order to get your copy of 64 rather than the usual DLC Codes

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rocket Pan posted:

Press the exact same key to unbind it. It's a toggle.

oh see, i had the same problem and ended up editing the cfg file in notepad. should at least let people know thats what youre supposed to do, thats very unintuitive

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

ToxicFrog posted:

I think SS2's were even worse, since those fuckers could jump.

Back in the day there was a collaborative effort on the TTLG forums to build a mod that would delete the spiders, so some of the arachnophobic board members could still enjoy SS2.

I had that mod and it was a godsend. At the time that section caused me to stop playing.

The gently caress am I kidding, it still would.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

site posted:

oh see, i had the same problem and ended up editing the cfg file in notepad. should at least let people know thats what youre supposed to do, thats very unintuitive

People keep telling me it's unintuitive, but it worked liked that because every other game we played worked the same way. I think there's some sort of weird gap in knowledge about binding standards.
I think we might just remove the ability to stack binds on a single key (at least for non-menu actions), it seems to confuse some people and I don't think anybody actually uses that as a feature.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 20, 2020

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
OK the new Doom 64 port is great fun and very good value at £3.99. I do however find it amusing that the Doom 64 logo is 27 megabytes whilst the actual game data is only 14 :v:

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Convex posted:

OK the new Doom 64 port is great fun and very good value at £3.99. I do however find it amusing that the Doom 64 logo is 27 megabytes whilst the actual game data is only 14 :v:

I mean, the Xbox and PS4 do work in 4K. :v:
(And Kex3 can't load JPEGs, we only support lossless compression, so it produces weird details like that.)

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Bit of a late reply but we managed to take almost the exact same screenshot

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
people keep dm'ing me on steam to explain things in DE to them because i've played every doom game and it's so weird telling people "yeah none of this poo poo ever existed before today idk either"

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

That's some interesting reading the Doom Slayer is into.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rocket Pan posted:

People keep telling me it's unintuitive, but it worked liked that because every other game we played worked the same way. I think there's some sort of weird gap in knowledge about binding standards.

im 33 and ive been playing games since the 90s and dont remember most games input bind menus working that way??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Dork Norkem lmao