Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Mithaldu posted:

potato death cult

Great, now SA is stealing the album names of my apocalyptic blackened death metal band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bou
Aug 3, 2006

Duzzy Funlop posted:

These Lautsprecherwagen are kurving around the Nachbarschaft roughly once per hour now, Jesus Christ

https://twitter.com/MAXVORSTADT23/status/1241313673655836675

same here. Small town in Südwestpfalz. It's raining and no soul on the street the whole day. I think maybe 2 cars have passed all day, including the Firetruck. It's eerie.

Supermarket 5 minutes after opening this morning was full and already short on milk. There were Klebebandstreifen on the floor at the Kasse to seperate the Schlange and a sign which politely asked for not paying with cash and use cards. Heard that people who went shopping in the afternoon where questioned by the police why they were out.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
How happy are you not to have children right now? Me, very happy

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

oliwan posted:

:dance:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Hahahahahahahaha

oliwan posted:

:grovertoot:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
On the other hand, children can be used as couriers able to safely walk the plague lands.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Meanwhile in Oesterreich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1XqHzghhgQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C82sVj6hbhM

Not sure if stolz oder fremdschaemen, ein bisserl von beidem.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

oliwan posted:

Read somewhere something by an "Experte" about children like "sie lecken alles ab, stecken sich die Finger in Nase und Mund und sind fast immun" und ich dachte so Verstanden - Kinder sind bei Corona das, was die Ratten bei der Pest waren.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

bou posted:

Read somewhere something by an "Experte" about children like "sie lecken alles ab, stecken sich die Finger in Nase und Mund und sind fast immun" und ich dachte so Verstanden - Kinder sind bei Corona das, was die Ratten bei der Pest waren.

I've been going :I at the roving gangs of young families ever since the schools closed down. I mean, you can't blame them (technically - I do so anyway) and they gotta do something with their kids, but especially last week, when I'm pretty sure there were community organized ad-hoc daycares going on, they were the main reason I minimized outside contact

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

oliwan posted:

I've been to the supermarket every day in the last week and it just seemed business as usual except for Nudeln and tomato sauce being less available lol. toilet paper seems to be back too. People are keeping more distance at the kassenband tho.

In my own little neck of the woods the shortages have grown worse for some reason. My local Edeka had tons of weird poo poo missing, in addition to the normal crap (Nudeln, Klopapier). Like, most of the sugar-free sodas were gone and almost all fresh meat. Chicken, pig, cows: Everything gone, even the lovely frozen stuff was empty. The only chicken I could have gotten was Bio-stuff that cost three times as much as the normal crap I'm eating. And all the small spinach-Packungen were gone, but the 800 g family-sized packages were still there. Why would someone hoard the tiny stuff instead of the large? :psyduck:

Welp, at least now I'll have to eat my Basmati-Wildreis with vegetables only. Can only be good for my health, eh? :v:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

oliwan posted:

How happy are you about the Corona virus right now?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Things still look alright at my local edeka in Bonn, no flour, only some noodles, rice and toilet paper rolls.
Well let's see if we get a curfew starting Monday. That might turn it a bit wild.

A close friend had to move today and I had to cancel helping, even though I offered two months ago. I felt kinda lovely for that, but I live in a house with some old people, so it would be also a bad idea to catch the plague if I can do something to avoid it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
One of the things Corona taught me: Sugar-free Sinalco tastes kind of terrible. Why oh why are hoarding people sugar-free sodas? All the good stuff was gone. It was either Diabetes Boost: The Cola, or this poo poo. :psyduck:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Just drink juice instead. Carbonated sugar water is kinda gross anyway. Especially when there's caffeine in it. Man, I am so glad that I am not addicted to that neurotoxin.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

cant cook creole bream posted:

Things still look alright at my local edeka in Bonn, no flour,

alright somethigns up, I've been trying to buy flour for a week now and it's sold out everywhere

are people making their own nudeln because the real poo poo is also sold out?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I'm down to my last bottle of carbonated neurotoxin and apparently misplaced all of my proper tea cups when I moved, so this morning I drank black tea from a 1. FC Union plastic beer cup featuring the likenesses of Karim Benyamina and Torsten Mattuschka. Worked fine, though. This is one of the many things you can do in life

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Just drink juice instead. Carbonated sugar water is kinda gross anyway. Especially when there's caffeine in it. Man, I am so glad that I am not addicted to that neurotoxin.

op I don't know if this is a joke post but if not: fruit juice has the same amount, if not more, sugar in it than most sodas :ssh:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I wonder how the Schweiz is doing in those times?

republik.ch posted:

Wie viele Personen in der Schweiz wurden bisher getestet? Wie viele positiv, wie viele negativ? Wer gilt als geheilt, und wie viele Leute sind gestorben?

Das Bundesamt für Gesundheit (BAG) kann zu einigen dieser Fragen keine Antworten mehr geben. Oder zumindest keine präzisen und aktuellen.

Dies geht aus Gesprächen hervor, welche die Republik über die vergangenen zwei Wochen mit diversen Mitarbeitenden aus den zuständigen Abteilungen geführt hat. Sie berichten von einer veralteten, überholten IT-Infrastruktur und von einer «Papier­schlacht wie in einem Film der 1980er-Jahre».

Gemäss den Schilderungen sind die Melde­prozesse kompliziert und die Melde­kriterien unverbindlich. Das verkompliziert die Datenerfassung zur Epidemie und macht die offizielle Corona-Statistik fehleranfällig.

Vier Beispiele illustrieren die Schwierigkeiten:

- Seitdem die Neuinfektionen am vergangenen Wochenende ihren Höhepunkt erreicht haben, ist das BAG mit der Erfassung der Fallzahlen im permanenten Verzug. Schätzungen werden gemacht, indem Papier­stapel von Formularen auf eine Waage gelegt werden.
- Statt übers eigene Meldesystem erfuhren BAG-Mitarbeitende bis vor kurzem in vielen Fällen erst durch die Presse oder über die Online-Enzyklopädie Wikipedia von Todesfällen oder von geheilten Patienten.
- Nur bei maximal 30 Prozent der positiv getesteten Covid-19-Fälle verfügt das BAG über wichtige Zusatz­informationen zu den Patienten – etwa wo und wann sie sich angesteckt haben. In vielen Fällen weiss das Amt nicht, ob eine positiv getestete Patientin wieder genesen ist.
- Weil die Papierflut derart anwächst, wird intern über eine weitere Ausdünnung der Melde­kriterien für Ärztinnen, Kantons­ärzte und Spitäler beraten. Damit würden die gemeldeten Fallzahlen noch tiefer ausfallen und noch weniger Positiv­befunde in die BAG-Statistik aufgenommen.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

oliwan posted:

op I don't know if this is a joke post but if not: fruit juice has the same amount, if not more, sugar in it than most sodas :ssh:

I know that. Sure beats settling for sugar free sinalco, though.
Also, I am mostly not a fan of the carbonated part. Fizzy stuff makes me gassy.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

alright somethigns up, I've been trying to buy flour for a week now and it's sold out everywhere

are people making their own nudeln because the real poo poo is also sold out?

It's that and bread. Yeast is usually gone too. People really want to ensure their supply of their Frühstücksbrote.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Libluini posted:

In my own little neck of the woods the shortages have grown worse for some reason. My local Edeka had tons of weird poo poo missing, in addition to the normal crap (Nudeln, Klopapier). Like, most of the sugar-free sodas were gone and almost all fresh meat. Chicken, pig, cows: Everything gone, even the lovely frozen stuff was empty. The only chicken I could have gotten was Bio-stuff that cost three times as much as the normal crap I'm eating. And all the small spinach-Packungen were gone, but the 800 g family-sized packages were still there. Why would someone hoard the tiny stuff instead of the large? :psyduck:

Welp, at least now I'll have to eat my Basmati-Wildreis with vegetables only. Can only be good for my health, eh? :v:

Because they got small rear end freezers, barely as big as a normal sized rear end

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

oliwan posted:

Typical non-integrated Ausländer. This is Schorle land.

Also, I stocked up on many different teas a week ago. Had a nice Assam this afternoon, and I think tomorrow I'll have a Rooibos. :smuggo:

If I don't have 2L tea at my desk I don't drink anything all day :v:

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

The people in your areas are all way better cooks than here. Flour gone, but yeast is still there, eggs still there, pasta and tomate concentrate is gone, but nothing else you'd need or want for a sauce, spice rack as usual untouched. Canned ravioli and and maggi tüten suppen and what have you are also all still there. Just completely incomprehensible purchasing decisions. Toilet paper is sold behind the counter now, you gotta ask and then you get exactly one pack.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

You can make passable bread with backing soda instead of yeast. But yeah I doubt it's that. Probably just people hamstering with their brain turned off. Either thinking they will figure out later what to do with the flour or, much more likely, throw it away.

MODS? Caffeine has never been conclusively proven to be a neurotoxin(in humans)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

System Metternich posted:

Hmm yes, good to know incompetence is a constant in every country (except Singapore perhaps).

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

GABA ghoul posted:

MODS? Caffeine has never been conclusively proven to be a neurotoxin(in humans)

Fair enough. Mind altering psychoactive drug which poses as a regular neurotransmitter, just to clog their receptors, thereby messing with their levels until there's a harsh backlash.

But I don't really get how it's not technically a neurotoxin. If you take a high enough dose, you die because you poisoned your nerves. Of course that dose is really high, but still attainable. Is your argument that there were never real studies about force feeding people caffeine until they died? I'm not a neurologist, so I don't really know what qualifies as a neurotoxin, or if the term has a clear definition at all.

Edit: Apparently the definition is that it causes neural damage in low doses, which seems a bit ambiguous.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Mar 22, 2020

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Everything is a toxin at high enough doses, that's why they write that.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

9 o'clock, first Lautsprecherwagen cruising through the hood.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

System Metternich posted:

lmao RIF du inkompetente bergvolk

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Fair enough. Mind altering psychoactive drug which poses as a regular neurotransmitter, just to clog their receptors, thereby messing with their levels until there's a harsh backlash.

But I don't really get how it's not technically a neurotoxin. If you take a high enough dose, you die because you poisoned your nerves. Of course that dose is really high, but still attainable. Is your argument that there were never real studies about force feeding people caffeine until they died? I'm not a neurologist, so I don't really know what qualifies as a neurotoxin, or if the term has a clear definition at all.

Edit: Apparently the definition is that it causes neural damage in low doses, which seems a bit ambiguous.

Man, I was just joking. As a caffeine fiend, any science that opposes my addiction is a conspiracy ...

But no, caffeine is not damaging to the brain in regular dosages and it's virtually impossible to exceed safe limits through tolerance buildup. The adverse effects of overcaffenation are just too extreme for that. Overall it's a really, really lovely stimulant compared to, for example, amphetamines but it also has that build-in safety mechanism that prevents you from abusing it and that's why it remains legal so I guess it's not that lovely after all.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

there's a common expression in medicine, "the dose makes the poison". the beneficial/desirable effect comes at a substantially lower dose than any toxic effects you observe with caffeine. that's why it's generally not considered a neurotoxin. things that are classified as toxins generally only have harmful effects on the human body without any therapeutic effects.

there's something called the therapeutic index, which is a ratio of the dose at which 50% of people will die to the dose at which 50% of people get the beneficial effect. caffeine has a very high therapeutic index. so it's not considered a toxin.

edit: mixed up my numerator and demoninator, whoopsie!

Mr. Lobe fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Mar 22, 2020

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
walking along the canal and there are lots of people, but everyone is keeping distance lol, people are sitting on the grass in groups of two with distance to each other... its happening

the only people who don't walk on opposite ends of the paths are olds 👍

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

oliwan posted:

walking along the canal and there are lots of people, but everyone is keeping distance lol, people are sitting on the grass in groups of two with distance to each other... its happening

the only people who don't walk on opposite ends of the paths are olds 👍

Same here. I did see some cross-family socializing in beautiful Köln-Bilderstöckchen, but I guess if I lived there I'd also be actively courting death. The old people thing is just baffling though. Like they don't even keep their distance from perfect strangers. But ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Idea: Pay refugees to patrol the streets of Boomer suburbs to scare the racist old fucks into staying indoors.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Yep. Give me a broom and legal immunity and I'm gonna scare you some boomers. You'll never have to worry about them going outside ever again. :hai:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

GABA ghoul posted:

Yep. Give me a broom

I don't think civilians are allowed to carry military weapons.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

GABA ghoul posted:

Yep. Give me a broom and legal immunity and I'm gonna scare you some boomers. You'll never have to worry about them going outside ever again. :hai:

OK Broomer.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
https://twitter.com/colincampbell/status/1241690138184474626

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Laschet still handwringing about all this isn't necessary in order to look good for the eventually c-party leadership race.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Randler posted:

Laschet still handwringing about all this isn't necessary in order to look good for the eventually c-party leadership race.

Pretty sure Söder already has a head start on his CDU competitors in that race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

:lol: