Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

A master of anbo-jyutsu.

The best part of how dumb anbo-jyutsu is, is when he comments that Riker "never could get over the sightless factor"

Like, that's the entire point of the sport! It's like saying how Riker never managed to hold a tennis racket, or never got the hang of hitting a ball without letting go of the bat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

HD DS9 you cowards. Do it to drive people to sign up for your stupid streaming service, it'd work.

Make the commitment to do both DS9 and Voyager and you'll get enough subs to pay for both. Release them weekly again. Make it an event.

I'd finally sub for that

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Yeah, I have all access through Amazon set to expire after the season ends, but if they announced a weekly DS9 remaster I'd be signed up for the 3-4 year duration it'd take to release it all. DS9 is one of the few things I still own on DVD.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Arglebargle III posted:

Who's that guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLQYDb4s9Zo&t=17s

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Bloop posted:

Make the commitment to do both DS9 and Voyager and you'll get enough subs to pay for both. Release them weekly again. Make it an event.

I'd finally sub for that

Yep. Do DS9 then Voyager to draw it out even more if CBS wants. Just do it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

CBS All Access is now free for a month, apply code GIFT to your account (not sure if it works on existing accounts or only new ones).

Can't think of any reason to use it, though.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Grand Fromage posted:

Yep. Do DS9 then Voyager to draw it out even more if CBS wants. Just do it.

That's just setting up direct sequel series, which is not something I want for either.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

McSpanky posted:

CBS All Access is now free for a month, apply code GIFT to your account (not sure if it works on existing accounts or only new ones).

Can't think of any reason to use it, though.

When does “The Stand” come out?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

When does “The Stand” come out?

Glances outside...

Somehow I'm gonna guess a long time from now.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Grand Fromage posted:

HD DS9 you cowards. Do it to drive people to sign up for your stupid streaming service, it'd work.

I'm pretty strongly committed against All Access, but even I would sign up for this.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

:wtc: H&I just served up one heck of a one-two punch in their Star Trek block tonight. "The Muse" immediately followed by "11:59."

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Timby posted:

Fun fact: Mitchell Ryan got fired from Dark Shadows because he wouldn't stop showing up for work hammer-drunk.

He was also a finalist to play Picard.

It was a drat shame because he was the Superior Burke Devlin.

Mister Kingdom posted:

I've been binge-watching the classic Gothic soap opera Dark Shadows and this fellow, Burke Devlin, the villian, looked awfully familiar:

I watched as a kid, and have been rewatching over the past few months in anticipation of the new show.

Do yourself a favor and read this amazing and funny blog as you go:

https://darkshadowseveryday.com/episode-guide/

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

bull3964 posted:

I mean, gently caress it. If you don't want to go full balls to the wall TNG style, at least scan the live actions shots and AI upsacle the SFX shots as a happy medium to balance time and cost.

This isn't quite as easy as it sounds because there's more to SFX shots than just spaceship exteriors. Like, every time someone shoots a phaser, or every time Odo goes blobby, that's an SFX shot.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

This isn't quite as easy as it sounds because there's more to SFX shots than just spaceship exteriors. Like, every time someone shoots a phaser, or every time Odo goes blobby, that's an SFX shot.

Yes, I know, but it's still only a handful of minutes per episode.

Anything is better than nothing.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/SirPatStew/status/1242573244860948481

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

bull3964 posted:

Glances outside...

Somehow I'm gonna guess a long time from now.

Damnit. I didn’t even think of this :(

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'd be fine with them just scanning 35mm film for non-SFX shots and AI upscaling the SFX shots.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Then you get this weird effect where every time they punch something up on a screen or fire a phaser the lighting and balance shifts and the quality drops for the duration of the effect and snaps back at the end. B5 had this issue sometimes because they lost the effect masters.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The alternative is we get nothing and the film elements continue to degrade in storage. There's a finite window in which a restoration is feasible, every day that passes increases the age of the masters and increases the risk that we could have something happen that can cause footage to get misplaced or destroyed.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Studios are sitting on a mountain of SD footage that looks like absolute poo poo on any display sold today, they're well served figuring out this AI upscaling stuff as soon as possible.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Scanning the negatives even if no full HD conversion project is on the horizon should be a given, an act of good stewardship of archived material.

You know, if anyone cared.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Hell I don't know why studios haven't taken advantage of crowdfunding projects like this, if they're so financially risk averse. An independently produced documentary about DS9 pulled over $600K alone. It seems like sourcing enough funds for a full TNG style remaster wouldn't be a problem, so I don't get it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/STDeltaShift/status/1243172726250094593?s=19

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TNG cost ~$12 million, DS9 would be a fair bit more.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

Isn't any if that cost suck into equipment/techniques/ learning curve that would apply

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

MikeJF posted:

$12 million for the full restoration. So simply scanning the film in HD for archival shouldn't be anywhere near as expensive. The TNG stuff was also done almost a decade ago so some aspects of this workflow have become cheaper and more common over time.

There are also new tools. ML video analysis didn't even exist back then but could likely be used to greatly speed up the process of finding the correct takes from scanned footage to speed up the editing of the episodes. "Show me every clip that has Odo, Kira, and Sisko in these general positions in the frame" is a thing we can do now. I don't know if anyone has built ML driven automatic editing tools yet, but it seems like a no-brainer now. Bulk scan footage in, do facial and object recognition to build a database of clips, then use audio analysis to assemble clips to roughly match the broadcast take. Then you bring in human editors to validate and fine tune.

Yes, SFX and such would require time and money to do properly, but the editing workflow shouldn't be anywhere near as difficult as it was when they did TNG.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
There are super fans that would work on this for a loving EP credit or less. People who could really help.

Crowdsource some of the actual work from techy trekkies

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

150,000 people keeping an all-access sub for a single year would be over $12 million. That's at the lower subscription tier which also has advertising, so that's additional revenue on top of that.

Like I said, if Viacom/CBS cannot figure out a way to monetize this and have it pay off the investment, they are pants on head stupid.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Wasn't a lot of the work finding the reels in the first place? And they're not edited reels either, it's just the 100% raw, uncut footage.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Kazy posted:

Wasn't a lot of the work finding the reels in the first place? And they're not edited reels either, it's just the 100% raw, uncut footage.

Yes, which is what I addressed above. There's technology now that simply didn't exist 8 years ago when the TNG remasters were done.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/adobe-stanford-ai-video-editor/

That demonstration is almost 3 years old and being asked to do a lot more complexity than matching an existing broadcast edit. This shouldn't have to be as manual a process now. Scan it all and let computers sort it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Kazy posted:

Right, they’d have to find all the correct takes and re-edit entire episodes. It’s not as simple as taking the old reels and scanning them in HD. You basically have to reassemble the entire series while adding new FX shots.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
That's AI is pretty amazing. Hell, you could probably teach it to match the image using the existing broadcast tapes as a reference image and speed it up even more.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Right, they’d have to find all the correct takes and re-edit entire episodes. It’s not as simple as taking the old reels and scanning them in HD. You basically have to reassemble the entire series while adding new FX shots.

Let IBM's Watson find and edit the correct takes in against the source.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Let IBM's Watson find and edit the correct takes in against the source.

Plus give us more bloopers and an entire reel of Bashir intentionally loving up his robot lines

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

The Bloop posted:

Plus give us more bloopers and an entire reel of Bashir intentionally loving up his robot lines

I'm all after the first take of Avery Brooks playing Joran which they allegedly had to reshoot as his performance was considered too scary!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Bloop posted:

https://i.imgur.com/58S7hMy.mp4

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
DS9 is good but it will never get a remaster.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Shut the gently caress up pick

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Pick posted:

If the actual owners don't do a proper remaster, then at some point we're sure to see an unofficial fan-made upscale of the whole show. It's a lot like how Lucas kept refusing to release a decent HD version of Star Wars, so fans made the Despecialized Edition and released it on the high seas.

True, seven seasons of a show is a lot more video than three movies, but it should also take a lot less TLC. Basically just let the algorithm go to town on it all, and then do reactive cleaning-up as needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Pick posted: