Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Thoguh posted:

Good thing we don't have a bunch of people in government that have been salivating for decades to privatize mail service.

Which is loving hilarious when you consider most of those people would throw a hissy fit if you suggested removing the 2nd amendment and that a federal mail service is directly mentioned in Article 1 of the actual Constitution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

TMMadman posted:

Which is loving hilarious when you consider most of those people would throw a hissy fit if you suggested removing the 2nd amendment and that a federal mail service is directly mentioned in Article 1 of the actual Constitution.

I 100% guarantee that if any poo poo actually does go down, 2nd Amendment nuts will go from "I need these guns to defend my family" to "I need these guns to take your poo poo and also get even with everyone who's ever snubbed me" in ten seconds flat.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

shovelbum posted:

Why is it not a reasonable prediction, even in young healthy ppl 20% need hospital which lol, and it's supposed to infect pretty much everyone

the corona cases are being massively undercounted because we're only testing the worst cases (and today NYC changed policy to test only hospitalized cases), a huge chunk of people are riding it out at home or are just simply asymptomatic

I wouldn't take that 20% number as applicable to all American cases

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I 100% guarantee that if any poo poo actually does go down, 2nd Amendment nuts will go from "I need these guns to defend my family" to "I need these guns to take your poo poo and also get even with everyone who's ever snubbed me" in ten seconds flat.

That's exactly why they bought them

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

brugroffil posted:

do you have children

do you have small children

that makes a big difference. my wfh productivity went from 100-110% of my typical office output to like 20%

No and that's totally fair, but to also be fair none of the friends that have been bitching to me have kids either.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I like getting mail and hope the USPS stays intact.

Hot take, I know.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

we're sitting at 885k worldwide cases btw. Strong chance we hit 900k in about a hour when the midday numbers come out

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

shovelbum posted:

Why is it not a reasonable prediction, even in young healthy ppl 20% need hospital which lol, and it's supposed to infect pretty much everyone

20% of all (known) cases require hospitalization, not everyone has a 20% chance to go to the hospital

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

SKULL.GIF posted:

the corona cases are being massively undercounted because we're only testing the worst cases (and today NYC changed policy to test only hospitalized cases), a huge chunk of people are riding it out at home or are just simply asymptomatic

I thought 20% was based on poo poo where we had better info too, not just the rolling average of US cases where if you look at it it seems like the virus is mutating to be more severe due to what you mentioned

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

shovelbum posted:

I thought 20% was based on poo poo where we had better info too, not just the rolling average of US cases where if you look at it it seems like the virus is mutating to be more severe due to what you mentioned

the virus is not mutating

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/WLWT/status/1245367584117198849?s=20

:lol:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SKULL.GIF posted:

The undertesting bullshit really pisses me off. We should have immediately started testing everyone. I'm a big fan of the SK method: test everyone, contact trace and isolate suspected infected.

I just feel like it's incredibly important to know if you have the virus or not, especially since there is a lot of spread from asymptomatic people.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm saying the 20% has been consistent, but if you look at US numbers it's rising every day due to under testing, so obviously it's not going to be like 100% hospitalization bc ny is only testing in hospitals

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

SKULL.GIF posted:

constant Republican sabotage

the USPS is a very powerful union and the organization itself is run very well and basically proves everything the Republicans say about government inefficiency and ineffectiveness totally and completely wrong

sorry, no, my complete inability to apply a stamp to an envelope proves that the usps is a failed system and it's totally worth paying 10 as much to have a private company stamp that envelope for me

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

shovelbum posted:

no we don't actually know how many people have contracted it. you only get tested (esp in the US) if you're really sick and have been exposed to it. the 20% number is not something you can really extrapolate from.

it's bad to be sure but don't extrapolate too much on very limited data, you'll drive yourself crazy

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

loving come on

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

spacemang_spliff posted:

no we don't actually know how many people have contracted it. you only get tested (esp in the US) if you're really sick and have been exposed to it. the 20% number is not something you can really extrapolate from.

it's bad to be sure but don't extrapolate too much on very limited data, you'll drive yourself crazy

20% held in SK also though right? That's not crazy really.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
saw some "new reality" bullshit at the grocery store yesterday: loving nitrile gloves strewn about the exit doors, just feet away from a mostly empty trash can. lost my giving a gently caress for humanity for a second

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Hmm yes people different from me *are* Others... they must all be inherently evil!

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

TMMadman posted:

The undertesting bullshit really pisses me off. We should have immediately started testing everyone. I'm a big fan of the SK method: test everyone, contact trace and isolate suspected infected.

I just feel like it's incredibly important to know if you have the virus or not, especially since there is a lot of spread from asymptomatic people.

on the flip side the tests aren't perfect and put out significant numbers of false positives and false negatives and with rapid uncontrolled spread contact tracing is impossible

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

20 Blunts posted:

saw some "new reality" bullshit at the grocery store yesterday: loving nitrile gloves strewn about the exit doors, just feet away from a mostly empty trash can. lost my giving a gently caress for humanity for a second

I've seen that too, I assume they're not removed properly either.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

spacemang_spliff posted:

this is especially bad with the crazy time lag between infection, ability to spread and symptoms

most cold and flu cases pass between people within days, dont they? this takes weeks

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

shovelbum posted:

20% held in SK also though right? That's not crazy really.

I don't think it did:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/south-korea/

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yeah that mild chest illness you had in February might have been corona! You'll never loving know because no one is testing!!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Edit: wrong thread

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/DanielleB104/status/1245186965101780999

It's gonna be like this every day until the end of the year

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

Platystemon posted:

Nah it’s one of the extraordinarily rare cases of the New York Times improving a headline and not just by walking back some really horrible poo poo they said the first time around.

No, the original headline said that there is an ongoing gun violence epidemic in this country, a societal problem caused by many factors and which will require a public health approach to improving the lives of people involved.

The second one is "Hey (non-white) people - quit shooting each other for no reason, yer takin' our corona beds!!!"

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

i actually dont doubt that this will happen and someone will steal my oatmeal, but i plan to make an appeal that my wife and i could be useful for gardening, hunting, fishing etc if things get real bad so we all have a better chance if they dont kill us

i figure it has as much chance of working out as a shootout, so i will cross that bridge when i get to it

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Taintrunner posted:

It's going to be like this in the States until there's a vaccine bc our lockdown has utterly failed.

5-7 years average lifecycle lol

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

loving lmao cry more dickhead

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Taintrunner posted:

The end of TYOOL 2022

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Also in morning coronavirus news, Zoom is bad who could have seen this coming

https://twitter.com/zackwhittaker/status/1245350371876315137

That require someone to have local access so uh

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

shovelbum posted:

So our social distancing is by the numbers not doing anything, 20% need hospital, the hospitals are full, and 80% will be infected. 20% of 80% of the US population is 50M dead, why is no one talking about this

The stock trading thread reacts like local idiot gripweed when I ask them the same thing and if it changes their outlook

Jon Carbuncle
Sep 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

John Fetterman is the fuckin' best

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Taintrunner posted:

No, but I will take some time to hit every town and every city.

Tei has issued a correction as of 16:28 on Apr 1, 2020

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/KevinWhitelaw1/status/1245370092180955137

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Grapplejack posted:

Yeah that mild chest illness you had in February might have been corona! You'll never loving know because no one is testing!!

Yeah this is the thing that I'd like to know about personally. I caught something in early/mid February, right around the time the first confirmed case hit the Chicago area. And while I usually catch something around the change of the seasons, I felt like the thing that hit me was a bit early.

I was dry coughing and sneezing and stuffed up pretty bad for about 3 days and then it cleared up fairly quickly. I don't remember ever feeling short of breath during that time though other than just regular issues with congestion and cough. I probably didn't have it, but it sure would have been nice to be able to find out at that time or if I could find out if I had antibodies present in my system now.

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

china flaring back up again?

https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1245370823365365760

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
The New York Flu is getting serious. LOCK IT UP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

SKULL.GIF posted:

- an out of work line cook