Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

This will be big wet boi's focus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

lol how weird that us intelligence determined this and immediately leaked it to the press when it became clear that the us was doing a worse job at containing things

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

LimburgLimbo posted:

Hmm yes people different from me *are* Others... they must all be inherently evil!

lol weak

I grew up in rural PA and have a lot of family out that way, people are actively salivating for a chance to murder "urban people" who come to infect them.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Even of known cases, even in the US, only 5% need hospitalization. Of the 5% that needs hospitalization, 20% die.

There is no 20% hospitalization rate or the disease most likely would have self-limited.

The numbers in the US when I ran them last night were only 2% severe/critical (hospitalized) and 2% die. I have no idea where you would get a 20% hospitalization rate.

And that doesn't account for the likely numerous asymptomatic or so-mild-as-to-never-report cases. Or false negatives.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

shovelbum posted:

Why is it not a reasonable prediction, even in young healthy ppl 20% need hospital which lol, and it's supposed to infect pretty much everyone

Because requires hospitalization doesn't mean dead

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

They do it, we do it, everybody does it!!!

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Prester Jane was right, they were burning bodies in mass graves

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

Because requires hospitalization doesn't mean dead

It does if there's no hospital or it wouldn't require hospitalization

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

- an out of work line cook

line cooks can read too

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

switzerland is reporting -10 deaths

????????

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

err posted:

Pj is nuts and this is some Trump spook bullshit, China obviously has done a good job

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

cash crab posted:

????????

quarantine baby boom!!! everyone's fuckin

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

i only listen to doctors when they tell me to clean my rear end because i love to clean my rear end

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Gripweed posted:

Beacuse you just made those numbers up? Nobody is talking about 50M dead because that's not a reasonable prediction

quoting this so I can find it later

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

The stock trading thread reacts like local idiot gripweed when I ask them the same thing and if it changes their outlook

20M dead in the US is an absurd prediction and you're dumb for believing in it.

gregday
May 23, 2003

cash crab posted:

????????

zombies

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Poniard posted:

i only listen to doctors when they tell me to clean my rear end because i love to clean my rear end

Wow, you're super gay

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Poniard posted:

same

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Paramemetic posted:

Even of known cases, even in the US, only 5% need hospitalization. Of the 5% that needs hospitalization, 20% die.

There is no 20% hospitalization rate or the disease most likely would have self-limited.

The numbers in the US when I ran them last night were only 2% severe/critical (hospitalized) and 2% die. I have no idea where you would get a 20% hospitalization rate.

And that doesn't account for the likely numerous asymptomatic or so-mild-as-to-never-report cases. Or false negatives.

Can you quote the "numbers you ran"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Gripweed posted:

20M dead in the US is an absurd prediction and you're dumb for believing in it.

Yeah 70 million is way more reasonable

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Yes, the hospitals will get overloaded.

Yes, healthcare providers will have to make hard decisions about who can be saved.

Yes, many people will die at home because they don't want or can't afford to go to the hospital, or just because our culture has trained people not to go to hospitals because it's unaffordable.

No, 50 million people won't need hospitalization.

Yes, people will die who otherwise might survive if the hospital system weren't overloaded, but there won't be 50 million of them.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gamergate on China

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

err posted:

Love to trust US intelligence agencies

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

cash crab posted:

????????

found some resurrection technology underneath a pile of nazi gold

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

China kept it out of Beijing, Shanghai, Tianjin, etc. All the large east coast cities. America has already failed to contain it.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

3-6m dead in the US is the only reasonable estimate, with the potential to be lower by up to 2m in the states where populations dont lick doorknobs to own the libs

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Grapplejack posted:

Yeah that mild chest illness you had in February might have been corona! You'll never loving know because no one is testing!!

this is one of the rolling themes in this thread, wondering if we already had the ronis... but back in February I was knocked on my rear end by first a sinus infection, and then a deep chesty cough and fatigue for like 5 days. i was hacking poo poo up and starting to worry a bit that i was going to get pneumonia. the peak of this was like February 1st.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Paramemetic posted:

The US fatality rate is creeping upwards, it started at 1.5%, yesterday it was 2%, this morning it is at 2.2%

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Paramemetic posted:

Yes, healthcare providers will have to make hard decisions about who can be saved.

Yes, many people will die at home because they don't want or can't afford to go to the hospital, or just because our culture has trained people not to go to hospitals because it's unaffordable.

Yes, people will die who otherwise might survive if the hospital system weren't overloaded, but there won't be 50 million of them.

Past a certain point it's not "hard decisions" it's "all healthcare is a statistically irrelevant blip"

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

lol kinda undercuts the entire article when the guy they are quoting is saying poo poo like "Be truthful about your numbers...like us!" when there are daily reports of states just not counting people anymore and the health system threatening to fire anyone that posts videos of how things are going.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

cash crab posted:

????????

if you give a newborn covid it counts as negative

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
https://twitter.com/plies/status/1244992737226653698

is it too late to make plies the democratic presidential candidate

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

shovelbum posted:

It does if there's no hospital or it wouldn't require hospitalization

You know that when people talk about the collapse of the medical system, they don't mean the hospitals will literally collapse, right?

Hospitals won't be able to provide care for everyone who needs it, and the care they can provide will be substandard. Which is very bad! A lot of people will die! But to say that literally everyone who requires hospitalization will die is just dumb.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Paramemetic posted:

The "oh poo poo we're hosed" stuff is from when hospitals are over-run and is the entire reason to try and slow it down so that there is time to manufacture sufficient PPE and ventilators which is also why our response to this at a federal level is so terrible because we aren't utilizing this time before the peak to be churning that poo poo out.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Paramemetic posted:

Do we get to see the numbers you ran to come to these conclusions

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cao Ni Ma posted:

lol kinda undercuts the entire article when the guy they are quoting is saying poo poo like "Be truthful about your numbers...like us!" when there are daily reports of states just not counting people anymore and the health system threatening to fire anyone that posts videos of how things are going.

Not until China apologizes for what they did to gamers

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

poty posted:

https://twitter.com/plies/status/1244992737226653698

is it too late to make plies the democratic presidential candidate

not if Cuomo dies of the roni before the convention

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

Wow, you're super gay

thank u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

You know that when people talk about the collapse of the medical system, they don't mean the hospitals will literally collapse, right?

Hospitals won't be able to provide care for everyone who needs it, and the care they can provide will be substandard. Which is very bad! A lot of people will die! But to say that literally everyone who requires hospitalization will die is just dumb.

If you have a thousand times as many severe cases as beds, you can basically say they don't exist