Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Thos beans are doing well

And the marigolds I put in the spare spaces are starting to pop too

This was your bean update at 0926

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
https://twitter.com/Johnson_DavidW/status/1245987384551821312

singapore had been so far the poster boy for containing the virus just through aggressive testing and contact tracing

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

DesperateDan posted:

Thos beans are doing well

And the marigolds I put in the spare spaces are starting to pop too

This was your bean update at 0926

Can you post your address so I can go and watch the beans from a respectful distance and totally not steal your bean trees

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Someone sent me this `Bulgarian news article with an interview with one of the people who were involved in that recent preprint study about correlations between BCG policies and death rates, which I have google-translated and am posting for the real BCG heads because it has some interesting info about strains and policies in specific countries

https://www.flagman.bg/article/211173

quote:

A study on the relationship between BCG vaccines worldwide and COVID-19 mortality rates, particularly high in countries like Italy and Spain where it is optional, has "blown up" the network in the last week. Although the academic record has not yet been approved by the world's medical journals or the WHO, its conclusions raise many serious questions as well as solutions to the outcome of the unprecedented coronavirus crisis.

The editorial staff at Lupa.bg closely monitors any publicly available research on possible drugs used so far as clinical trials for the effect of the SARS-CoV-2 virus, as well as on potential factors considered by the medical world to be important for the development of the disease - from smoking and air pollution, to vaccinations in the past.

The study of a group of doctors and biologists from New York, USA, for BCG vaccine worldwide, provides much material for further studies. A young Bulgarian woman, Dr. Violeta Rumenova, also takes part in it.

She specializes in the Institute of Osteopathic Medicine in New York and is a Medical Assistant at the Surgery Clinic of Dr. Mary Ella Carter. Thanks to Dr. Rumenova, Lupa.bg contacted the BCG vaccine study leader and COVID-19 Dr. Gonzalo Otazu, who shed light on the team's findings *.

- Dr. Otazu, how soon do you expect to receive firm confirmation of your study results that BCG vaccinations worldwide matter for the outcome of COVID-19?

“Many clinical trials have already begun. These are the ones that will determine whether a tuberculosis vaccine in the past has actually produced good results in patients infected with the current coronavirus, and whether future vaccinations will help ease the disease. Surveys have already started or are currently starting in Australia, Germany and the Netherlands.

- How did your epidemiological study begin and what was the reason for stopping BCG vaccines worldwide and their connection to the COVID-19 pandemic?

- I knew BCG vaccination has long been reported as some kind of protection against viruses and infections other than tuberculosis. I was also intrigued, as were many people besides myself, about the striking difference in the number of diseases and mortality rates between COVID-19 countries, in the way they treated the BCG vaccine. I give you an example - Japan, which has introduced the mandatory BCG vaccine since 1947 and the country's development so far with regard to the coronavirus. At the same time, Italy, which has never introduced a nationwide BCG vaccination - the data speak for themselves. So I and my team at New York's Institute of Technology, College of Osteopathic Medicine, made the connection. And then we started collecting a huge database combining national BCG vaccine plans and COVID-19 deaths. The correlation between the two was simply amazing!

- Based on your research, it seems that the late introduction of BCG vaccine in a particular country is important for COVID-19 mortality. But what's late?

- If mass vaccination began in Japan in 1947, the worldwide universal BCG vaccination began around 1980. According to our data, it occurred so late that it did not provide positive data on COVID-19 mortality. The best example I can give is with Iran. This is where the BCG vaccine began to be used extensively and massively after 1984. That's late. And that's why we see so many deaths from the coronavirus. Especially in the elderly. Because maybe they weren't vaccinated against tuberculosis?

- Would you recommend to your relatives to be vaccinated with BCG now or to undergo revaccination if their Mantoux test is negative?

“Look, we don't know how BCG vaccination would work at the time of a coronavirus pandemic. And such a step may have negative effects. Our data is based solely on data from people who have been vaccinated many years ago. So I would recommend nothing more than waiting for the results of clinical trials.

- Is there a relationship between different strains of BCG ** vaccines worldwide and the prognosis for the course of the COVID-19 disease?

- Yes. We see some, albeit slight, differences between the different strains used around the world to make BCG vaccines.

- Which strains of BCG vaccines would you recommend?

- Again, I want to emphasize that specific clinical trials have to wait. We hope that different studies in different countries will focus on different strains and so we will get a clear picture. But it can save us.

* The study team is composed of:
Aaron Miller, Osteopathic Medicine Institute, New York,
Mc Josh Rindellar, Institute for Osteopathic Medicine, New York,
Kimberly Fasilione, Institute for Osteopathic Medicine, New York,
Violeta Rumenova, Institute of Osteopathic Medicine, New York,
Yan Li, Institute for Osteopathic Medicine, New York,

Leader: Gonzalo Otazu, Institute of Osteopathic Medicine, New York.

** Data from the Max Planck Institute, Germany, reveals disturbing differences between the different strains of BCG vaccines worldwide, widely used where immunization is required. According to these data, there are huge differences in mortality rates in China, Iran, Italy, Spain, the Netherlands, Sweden, the United Kingdom, the United States and Canada, and countries where the number of infected is lower and the mortality rate is lower - such as Russia, Denmark, Norway, Bulgaria, India, most of Africa. This does NOT rule out government measures such as social exclusion and the quarantining and follow-up of contact persons, but differences in BCG policies are apparent at first glance.

Eight are in general the various BCG vaccines currently in use worldwide, based on the first developed far before World War II: BCG-Brazil (used only there), BCG-Bulgaria-Russia (used throughout the former Eastern Bloc and Turkey, as well as in Mozambique, Cameroon, Cote D'Ivoire, Ecuador, Colombia, Bolivia, Paraguay and Uruguay) BCG-Japan (used in Japan, North Korea, Thailand, Nigeria, Iraq and Kuwait) are in the first category and most close to the "original". BCG-Denmark (used throughout Scandinavia, Greenland, United Kingdom, France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Baltic States, Belgium, Netherlands, South Africa, Venezuela, Libya, Saudi Arabia and New Zealand), BCG-Conotia (used in Austria) and Canada), BCG-Pasteur (used in Croatia, Serbia, and Indonesia). In countries like Mongolia, Kazakhstan, most of Africa, Peru, Syria, Lebanon and Mexico use more than 1 strain, and countries like China and Iran have their own BCG vaccines.

Iran, for example, began using the vaccine as early as 1947, but with its own strains, and preferably. Compulsory vaccination was introduced only in 1984, unlike in Bulgaria, which covers 98% of the population starting in 1951. This means that the elderly in Iran are unvaccinated and those who are injected with different vaccines. world strain. In neighboring Iraq, they use the Japanese version. As of March 27, the figures are clear: 27 deaths per 1 million people in Iran and 0.9 deaths per 1 million people in Iraq.

China uses a different strain from Korea (which vaccines with both Danish and Japanese. For example: as of March 28, 2020, Japan declared 1,349 people with COVID-19, 1/4 of them non-Japanese. No data on intubated and / or Japanese who have died so far worldwide.

The same is happening with Spain and Portugal. While Spain stopped the mandatory BCG vaccination in 1981, neighboring Portugal did so in 2017. The death rate declared by Madrid by COVID-19 goes far beyond Lisbon data. Germany is even more curious - while East Germany (BCG Bulgaria-Russia) announces coronavirus mortality for influenza for the season, in West Germany, where the "new" BCG vaccine strains are used, it is about 5 times higher.

Bulgaria has introduced compulsory vaccination for everyone since 1951. So far, overall and minimal, the vaccine has not changed. It contains Mycobacterium bovis BCG (Bacillus Calmette - Guerin) and is produced and developed by the National Center for Infectious and Parasitic Diseases, Sofia.

*** BCG vaccinees are NOT insured against coronavirus inoculation, development and mortality, the references and studies mentioned above are only hypothetical in nature. The editorial board of Lupa.bg implores its readers to read the text to the end in order to make their own conclusions and not to take measures for prevention of infection, which are not coordinated with doctors.

Chunky Salsa
Aug 31, 2016

"Isn't that right, Zach?"

DesertIslandHermit posted:

The search for quick cures is adding more gasoline to the fire and the smoke can only rise higher.

3 Thieves Oil will protect you from the plague!

Time is just becoming a chud circle

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Bulgakov posted:

yah this

the something awful forums are still a backbone of internet trends which seems crazy considering its 2020 but its totes true that a buncha the popular twitter accounts for example are basically sa expats and/or post aggregators

its a goofily outsized voice :shrug:

SA may be full of clowns and freaks (hello) but it's also got some of the smartest and most clear-sighted people on the internet, strangely enough

it's the main reason I like being on this site

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if I was able to just completely turn off my understanding of how much privilege I have, and how much horrible poo poo is going on, and how terrible it all is, I could really chill back and kick bback and relax during all this

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

empty whippet box posted:

if I was able to just completely turn off my understanding of how much privilege I have, and how much horrible poo poo is going on, and how terrible it all is, I could really chill back and kick bback and relax during all this

Perfect time to build a twitch following. Did I use that word right? I don't really know what a twitch is.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Pizza chains in Australia are capitalising on Italy getting wrecked by roni

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
I feel like red governors and blue governors are trying to hold a staring contest on who's going to blink first and declare martial law to try to contain the roni in their state.

Even if they did, it'd probably be disorganized as poo poo.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

Inceltown posted:

Perfect time to build a twitch following. Did I use that word right? I don't really know what a twitch is.

loving nailed it

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

I feel like red governors and blue governors are trying to hold a staring contest on who's going to blink first and declare martial law to try to contain the roni in their state.

Even if they did, it'd probably be disorganized as poo poo.

It's going to be Hawaii and it's going to be limited to closing the airports.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

empty whippet box posted:

yeah i have a big backlog of Switch poo poo I want to play along with rdr2 and yakuza 0 and other stuff, but i just haven't been in the mood for games at all the last couple of months. i thought maybe i'd get a lot time in this quarantine to just pop edibles every day and kickback, but alas--not at all. it doesn't help i'm stressing about work and how unproductive i am with several reports to do that i keep putting off and telling people it's coming, because i have just been having foggy-brained malaise ADHD state the last 4 weeks, part of that was being sick, part of it is i'm just not good at wfh since i have a small apartment with my desk next to bed instead of an office, and part of it is just :effort:

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
I work retail so I'm kind of stuck having to be aware of the roni because of the rationings and the routine cleaning we have to do now. I feel like I'd be better off staying home in quarantine with my beans/rice and just lounge around with a book or the Switch. I noticed I've been getting more tired even after having a couple days off and just resting at home. Stressful poo poo, all of it.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

Mr. Lobe posted:

SA may be full of clowns and freaks (hello) but it's also got some of the smartest and most clear-sighted people on the internet, strangely enough

hot take and of course I'm biased but the main diff I notice between this place and literally all other websites is we can criticize and be asses to each other without anyone losing their loving mind and people who can't take criticism usually don't last long here*

*ymmv

anyway yeah I think on average this leads to people being more thoughtful before they post but also I don't really go out of my way to read a bunch of threads with a bunch of lovely takes in them

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Inceltown posted:

Pizza chains in Australia are capitalising on Italy getting wrecked by roni

Peppe-roni pizza

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Trying to find out the situation in Mexico and I have found:

https://twitter.com/DianneG/status/1245539285404651521?s=20

https://twitter.com/Shahyawar777/status/1245738594473357312?s=20

https://twitter.com/MSN/status/1244800761504006144?s=20

A lot of wish washy nonsense explanations for why the Mexican hospitals aren’t overflowing with corpses yet

Does anyone know more?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

yeah i have a big backlog of Switch poo poo I want to play along with rdr2 and yakuza 0 and other stuff, but i just haven't been in the mood for games at all the last couple of months. i thought maybe i'd get a lot time in this quarantine to just pop edibles every day and kickback, but alas--not at all. it doesn't help i'm stressing about work and how unproductive i am with several reports to do that i keep putting off and telling people it's coming, because i have just been having foggy-brained malaise ADHD state the last 4 weeks, part of that was being sick, part of it is i'm just not good at wfh since i have a small apartment with my desk next to bed instead of an office, and part of it is just :effort:

mississippi finally has a shelter in place order going into effect tomorrow(lol, lmao, hahaha rofl we're all gonna die) so that means my wife's store(the bong store, she is the manager of the bong store) is finally, at long last, gonna close down. it's nice that she has one more full paycheck coming but like holy poo poo please stop interacting with the public. I have most of an ounce of weed that I am requiring her to smoke, and got her a switch lite with animal crossing a couple days ago. I am determined to make this the best staycation ever for my wife, who is extremely hardworking and deserves a vacation and if it has to be with the backdrop of civilization being destroyed or whatever then so be it

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Xaris posted:

i need more beer but then i have an idea

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/mannysands/status/1245922411482099712

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

twoday posted:

Corona is a cool spanish name, her friends will him/her "Koro". But lol about naming a kid Virus. Viridian would make more sense, I think, his friends can call him/her "Dian"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viridian

#40826D. Viridian

Koro and Dian don't sounds bad. You can go worse.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

twoday posted:

https://twitter.com/DianneG/status/1245539285404651521?s=20

https://twitter.com/MSN/status/1244800761504006144?s=20

A lot of wish washy nonsense explanations for why the Mexican hospitals aren’t overflowing with corpses yet

Does anyone know more?

those UT students are definitely the beginning of a vector if Mexico has been able to resist it until now.

AMLO has been catastrophically tone deaf about it. they serve one term and are gone forever, so he likely figures gently caress it, their budgets are tied up paying off cartels.

I wonder how the shutdowns and movement changes has affected the drug game? the gang wars haven’t let off the gas.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

This is thread related because Australia has the roni and the video is from Australia

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1245995715010027521/pu/vid/640x352/XjWvy6ESRrn-GZ6I.mp4

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

poty posted:

https://twitter.com/Johnson_DavidW/status/1245987384551821312

singapore had been so far the poster boy for containing the virus just through aggressive testing and contact tracing

That leaves Taiwan the only place left that hasn't done a lock down; still having school opened; and does not forced quarantine people coming back from US/Europe. Looking forward to a mini outbreak soon.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Mr. Lobe posted:

thanks

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Inceltown posted:

This is thread related because Australia has the roni and the video is from Australia

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1245995715010027521/pu/vid/640x352/XjWvy6ESRrn-GZ6I.mp4

I thought for a moment this was one of those bad indie horror movies where an angry 3D model punches people.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Tei posted:

Corona is a cool spanish name, her friends will him/her "Koro". But lol about naming a kid Virus. Viridian would make more sense, I think, his friends can call him/her "Dian"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viridian

#40826D. Viridian

Koro and Dian don't sounds bad. You can go worse.

I mean in Spanish it would be “Viro”. I can see it working.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

I thought for a moment this was one of those bad indie horror movies where an angry 3D model punches people.

im not sure it isn't

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

nate silver is the most dumbest man on television

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Bulgakov posted:

im not sure it isn't

Have you never seen porn before?

Greek souvlaki is the most intimate thing you can do with a lover.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/duncanrobinson/status/1245970777431838720

wow president dildo king!!!

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Bulgakov posted:

nate silver is the most dumbest man on television

I posted that for the monty python

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Charlz Guybon posted:

I posted that for the monty python

Yeah, it was definitely the standout part of the post.

In unrelated news, are you a sea cucumber or pearlfish?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9KvEg102Tc

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Bulgakov posted:

i need more beer but then i have an idea

i got distracted and might not now

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Pyrus Malus posted:

hot take and of course I'm biased but the main diff I notice between this place and literally all other websites is we can criticize and be asses to each other without anyone losing their loving mind and people who can't take criticism usually don't last long here*

*ymmv

anyway yeah I think on average this leads to people being more thoughtful before they post but also I don't really go out of my way to read a bunch of threads with a bunch of lovely takes in them

the answer is in goons protective sense of self loathing that makes us hate each other and ourselves the correct amount

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Pyrus Malus posted:

*ymmv

the root of that is the most basic sense of community culture thats been built up in the past ~20 years despite the ups and downs

and its one that's grown up with its user base instead of generally being stuck in specifically created reactionary silos (such as the extreme degree example of reddit)

maybe??? i dunno. more beer time.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I don’t like any of you. but I need you to survive

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Rexicon1 posted:

I don’t like any of you. but I need you to survive

that's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me

Adbot