Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Dolphin posted:

Ugh, this is not good

The millions of migrant workers being forced to walk home because there's no transportation probably doesn't help either.

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1245244539939536898

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Ah gently caress. My buddy's mom has it. :smith:

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Bert Roberge posted:

The millions of migrant workers being forced to walk home because there's no transportation probably doesn't help either.

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1245244539939536898

seems problematic

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

White fundie Chuds in the bible belt refuse to follow social distancing and demand that their mega-churches stay.

Meanwhile people for other religions have shut down their places of worship to protect their community

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/05/coronavirus-churches-florida-social-distancing?CMP=oth_b-aplnews_d-1

quote:

When a Florida pastor, who had been arrested for holding a church service despite local coronavirus restrictions, complained he was the victim of “a tyrannical government”, Ron DeSantis, the state’s Republican governor, was listening.

In executive orders issued in quick succession this week, DeSantis designated religious services as “essential activities”. Then he swept away the right of cities and counties to ban them.

“I don’t think the government has the authority to close a church. I’m certainly not going to do that,” DeSantis said. “In Easter season, people are going to want to have access to religious services.”

This, however, was no municipality-versus-state power struggle. A concerted effort to protect religious freedoms is playing out across the country in the face of the coronavirus pandemic, frustrating efforts by public health officials to enforce social distancing per federal guidelines and slow the spread of the deadly virus.

In almost all of the states that lead the nation in numbers of cases, and which have issued blanket stay-at-home orders, there are specific exemptions for religious gatherings or acts of worship, a survey by the Guardian of published regulations and media coverage found.

In others with definitive lists of non-essential businesses or activities ordered to close, churches, synagogues, mosques, temples and other houses of faith are not among them.

What isn’t clear is how many people are still attending services, or how many are taking place. Leaders of many of the largest religions by followers in the US, including Mormonism, Catholicism, Islam and various denominations of Judaism, have closed houses of worship and are urging services take place online.

“This decision comes out of sacrificial love, not from habitual or casual disregard for worship,” the leaders of Christianity Today and the National Association of Evangelicals said in a joint statement.

“We will not be passing the peace with hugs, but rather with texts and phone calls. Are these modes inferior? Yes. Will they be acceptable to the Lord? We also believe, yes.”

But there is a growing backlash, likely to be fuelled by the intervention of political leaders such as DeSantis, and Greg Abbott, the governor of Texas, who this week signed his own executive order designating religious services as “essential” and leaving houses of worship to make their own decisions while urging them to work remotely.

An open letter to Catholic bishops calling for public mass and access to the holy sacraments is gaining traction online, pushed by a newly-formed group of theologians and ministers calling itself the Easter People.

“Something is terribly wrong with a culture that allows abortion clinics and liquor stores to remain open but shuts down places of worship,” the group said.

Other than Texas and Florida, states that have issued exemptions for religious events and with large numbers of coronavirus cases or significant populations of older people include Delaware, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, New Hampshire, Tennessee and West Virginia. The homepage for executive orders signed by the Michigan governor, Gretchen Whitmer, includes the words: “A place of religious worship is not subject to penalty.”

The Center for American Progress, a progressive public policy research group, published its own study of states it found to have enacted exemptions to stay-at-home orders on religious grounds, describing it as “an alarming trend”.

According to the group, Pennsylvania was the first to move, on 19 March when it enacted a clause that exempts the “operations of religious institutions” from its closure order on physical premises of “non-life sustaining businesses.”

Over the next five days, five more states – New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Louisiana, Ohio, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Mexico, West Virginia and Kansas – acted by including religious exemptions to varying degrees. For example, New Mexico banned gatherings of more than five people anywhere, with “churches, synagogues, mosques and other places of worship” among the exceptions. West Virginia’s order, meanwhile, adds specific wording to assure citizens that travel to and from a place of worship would also not be considered a violation.

The fact that religious groups can still hold gatherings in so many states does not mean all of them will do so. But there are prominent exceptions, such as the Florida pastor Rodney Howard-Browne, who has now decided to shutter his River at Tampa Bay church for this weekend’s Palm Sunday services anyway, and the Life Tabernacle church in Louisiana. Dozens of cases of coronavirus have been reported at a California megachurch.

“The ability to gather as people of faith is our first freedom. But as with other freedoms now cabined in the name of public safety, religious freedom must take a backseat, at least for now,” is the view of an editorial by three Canopy analysts, Robin Fretwell Wilson, Brian Smith and Tanner Bean.

“Now is not the time to stand on our rights. It is not the time to pursue contentious religious freedom claims in the courthouse. Instead, it is a time to lead by example, as so many congregations and people of faith have done.”

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Crazypoops posted:

I found a dead kitten in our parking lot, I knew better than to pick it up because of the health risk and called animal control who said they were on there way. The way it laid looked as if it was trying to get somewhere. When I got back someone had drove over it with a big truck and it's guts were everywhere. We deserve this.

between this and the snail you should stop going out, a heavy-handed-metaphor fairy has clearly put a curse on you

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1246619114472222721

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
so I heard 700 people died in one day in new york city alone....

The mass dying is starting soon, isnt it...

Dog Toothbrush
Oct 21, 2019

by Reene
Why is the IMHE model so wildly inaccurate on ICU and hospital beds?

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

D1E posted:

#BeBest

gently caress Karen

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

ryanrs posted:

I've been contemplating breaking shelter-in-place to go camping. The places I go aren't real campgrounds, just 4x4 roads in the desert where I can shoot guns and build fires and stuff. On one hand, if I wear gloves when getting gas, is it really a problem? On the other hand, lookit all these dumbasses self-owning, I don't want to be like them.

This would be in BLM land in the Mojave.

do it but accept that you're going to be even more isolated than normal and if something goes wrong you'll probably die out there because nobody is going to come by

also the mythical creatures are hungrier than normal, there's been no tourists to eat

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1246559336865898498?s=20

looks like Brexit came early this year

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Al-Saqr posted:

so I heard 700 people died in one day in new york city alone....

The mass dying is starting soon, isnt it...

what, 700 ain’t good enough

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

it's divine karma for being mean to sanders

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Of course it was predictable that US religious fundies would refuse to follow stay at home orders.

Probably because they are afraid it would reduce the amount of grifting they could do at their prosperity gospel megachurches.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

KiteAuraan posted:

What is the point of walking forever through mountains if it is not to visit Buddhist monasteries in search of the essence of Void and maybe some sick martial arts training?

to run from the law and get a cool nickname like Bismarck

also the young 20-something solo thru hikers gently caress constantly. I'd say they should avoid eating rear end, as per NYCs sex in the time of covid guidelines, but after walking for 3 months how are you going to know the difference?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

PostNouveau posted:

Been growing a beard in quarantine.

When does it stop loving itching? Is it never? Do people with beard have itchy faces all the time?

moisturizer

Dog Toothbrush
Oct 21, 2019

by Reene
Literally every camper from RV parks to state parks is now forced into dispersed campgrounds, I'm sure it's going to be fun and safe out there

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

PostNouveau posted:

Been growing a beard in quarantine.

When does it stop loving itching? Is it never? Do people with beard have itchy faces all the time?

you’re in the lovely stage of growing a fresh beard.

survive and get through it.

my itchy stage usually lasts a few days or maybe a week or so.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

Seems like the music and coffin dancers somehow got cut off in this video

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

etalian posted:

Of course it was predictable that US religious fundies would refuse to follow stay at home orders.

Probably because they are afraid it would reduce the amount of grifting they could do at their prosperity gospel megachurches.

they aren't trying to just keep the grift going, they're black pilling their way into a new private jet

all those octogenarians they've convinced to write the church into their wills.....

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Yeah the new paper is trash. They group over 40 into one group. No that's where the real juice is happening in the Corona party! You got to focus on the >40 population and split it into multiple groups.

The other issues with these studies is they're using r, which is a measure of correlation. Ffs they're not even using t test, which actually measures if there is a significant difference between two populations or groups

I imagine the next step would be a study that uses t test. Although really you need to wait for a case control or cohort which measures odds or relative risk since those actually test for significant causative associations.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

"I got to the grocery store every day! I'm in Walmart! Home Depot!"

.........I am so loving angry right now.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Fix posted:

Now your mask won't seal and you're owned.

the beardless will be ostracized for their cowardice after this is over

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

Woofer posted:

you’re in the lovely stage of growing a fresh beard.

survive and get through it.

my itchy stage usually lasts a few days or maybe a week or so.

Holy poo poo guys just get some beard oil or something it stops all itching

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Over Easy posted:

I am a christian and anyone praying for deliverance from this disease has no loving clue what God is all about

I've said this before and will say it again because it is true, if you're getting weepy and poo poo praying to god for mercy or acting like a bad rear end thinking god is a shield around you, you have no loving clue what you're doing

God built this loving thing and it is up to human society to deal with it, if human society cannot handle the hand god deals it then god is basically going to say "guess you should have been on top of that one dumbfucks"

god has absolutely no interest or obligation to mitigate the human suffering caused by the hells that men make

God, winner of the 2020 Pandemic compo, 8k category.

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth

Yuli Ban posted:

1) No, it's still primarily killing Boomers and Silents.
2) The media is hyping up COVID-19 as a Millennial/Zoomer Remover because kids still think that it's not going to affect them and go out & gently caress around and spread it like assholes. I think there might also be some anti-Millennial bias in there among the more rightist press, but for the most part, it's inforunners trying to scare youths into taking things seriously by exaggerating how badly the under-30 crowd has it (i.e. not anywhere near as badly as the over-30 crowd).

Ding ding ding

The story was that this thing was a hoax, so young ppl need to go out and work to keep old people rich. Then the fossils started dying and they switched to scare tactics. Media also uses bizarre comparison figures, like deaths under 60 vs. deaths over 60. Obviously almost all the 'under 60' deaths are over 50. But they want young people to be afraid.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Isn't his organization notorious for just wasting money, or am I thinking of another one?

https://twitter.com/michael_nielsen/status/1246457825720553472

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

limaCAT posted:

God, winner of the 2020 Pandemic compo, 8k category.

the most insane thing is that's OC

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/odditiesbyqwyck/status/1246645624495165441

twoday
May 4, 2005

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/awalkerinla/status/1246497882682744832?s=21

very cool

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

maybe trump doesn’t want to be the best president ever and he actually wants to be the worst?

https://twitter.com/jonlemire/status/1246775560761683968?s=21

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Charlz Guybon posted:

Isn't his organization notorious for just wasting money, or am I thinking of another one?

https://twitter.com/michael_nielsen/status/1246457825720553472

I mean at this point I’d say that whatever inefficiencies or poo poo decisions happen in the middle, it is objectively good that someone is providing as close to unlimited funding to tackle this as we are going to see from any single individual and at this point probably government as well

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

is it stupid to go to the dentist to get a crown fixed right now?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

lol at this country's death-drive

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/LEBassett/status/1246762968626364416?s=19

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Dog Toothbrush posted:

Literally every camper from RV parks to state parks is now forced into dispersed campgrounds, I'm sure it's going to be fun and safe out there

What does this mean?

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Crazyweasel posted:

I mean at this point I’d say that whatever inefficiencies or poo poo decisions happen in the middle, it is objectively good that someone is providing as close to unlimited funding to tackle this as we are going to see from any single individual and at this point probably government as well

Guess which continent Bill Gates and people like him will try and test these vaccines on first.

https://twitter.com/shailjapatel/status/1246471639828701188

quote:

"It may be provocative. Should we not do this study in Africa where there are no masks, no treatment or intensive care, a little bit like it's been done for certain AIDS studies, where among prostitutes, we try things, because we know that they are highly exposed and don't protect themselves?" said Jean-Paul Mira, head of the intensive care unit at the Cochin Hospital in Paris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

they’re totally gonna get a bill for like $250k after this lol