Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Jagged Jim posted:

quote:

To: USA Conservative

Hey idiot! The stats in this article are totally bogus!

There are 9,109 fatalities NOT the bogus figure of 2200 cited i this phony article. FAKE NEWS!

This article is way outdated and you have posted intentionally false information.

19 posted on 04/05/2020 9:23:59 AM PDT by Okeydoker
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

quote:

Comment #19 Removed by Moderator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

No that caused coronavirus. Amanda Holden said so.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Soviet Commubot posted:

I wonder where Trump and by extension the conspiratorial right got the idea that hydroxochloroquine is their magic miracle drug. I saw people both in the US and France posting about it in the days before Trump latched onto it, I'd imagine someone in his orbit mentioned because they saw it on Infowars or Qanon forums or something.

In short, a guy who has co-signed thousands of medical papers and is a kind of celebrity medical expert, recognized in some part by earlier french governments, presented another study he co-signed that said it had some effect.

There are at least three issues with what I just wrote that should throw up warning flags to anyone who knows how papers, let alone medical ones, work.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 5, 2020

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

evilmiera posted:

In short, a guy who has co-signed thousands of medical papers and is a kind of celebrity medical expert, recognized in some part by earlier french governments, presented another study he co-signed that said it had some effect.

There are at least three issues with what I just wrote that should throw up warning flags to anyone who knows how papers, let alone medical ones, work.

Yeah. There was a flawed study (Miracle drug cures 70%* of patients with a disease 80% recover from with no treatment!), it started circulating in certain online circles, someone showed it to Trump, and he decided to announce it because "A cure has been found!" makes a great soundbite.

And then people started dying because it's a dangerous drug that may literally be worse for you than Covid-19 itself.

*If you don't count the ones who died.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 5, 2020

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
British PM Boris Johnson admitted to hospital for tests over ‘persistent’ coronavirus symptoms

Kind of a boring thread but it did contain this glorious bit of :tinfoil:

quote:

To: NRx

How many UK leaders have been hospitalized from the flu in the past?

This is media hype

besides he looks a little overweight and not in the best of health to begin with

This is a DNC , deep state and Tory plot to bring down Trump

Israel and Benjamin Netanyahu are in on it too

13 posted on 04/05/2020 1:33:15 PM PDT by janetjanet998
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The French chloroquine doctor:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Bremen posted:

Yeah. There was a flawed study (Miracle drug cures 70%* of patients with a disease 80% recover from with no treatment!), it started circulating in certain online circles, someone showed it to Trump, and he decided to announce it because "A cure has been found!" makes a great soundbite.

And then people started dying because it's a dangerous drug that may literally be worse for you than Covid-19 itself.

Edit: Turns out the info I was given was either bad or incomplete. See later posts for better info! In short, there were issues with the control groups, or they had opposite results from the researchers were going for.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 6, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Netflix Gandalf.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

It's like they just glom onto anyone who looks like that quack doctor of Trump's.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bremen posted:

The rumour is that Elon Musk got it from one of his millions of LE EPIC BACON SCIENCE reply guys and passed it to Jared Kushner.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

evilmiera posted:

Also, and I only just found this out after reading about a spat between Navarro (one of many idiots in the administration) and Fauci, which pointed out the studies on the drug's effect on Corona patients didn't have control groups.

At all.

My understanding is the French study did have a control group... but one of the two hospitals in the test decided they weren't willing to dose their patients with unproven medicine, so they used that hospital's patients as a control group, all of which had only recently been diagnosed. So the control group showed only 10% recovered after a week - which obviously can't be right, or the virus would average out to lasting ten weeks.

There was a Chinese study of Hydroxychloroquine that did have a control group... who did better than the group given hydroxychloroquine (though both groups had >80% recovery rates).

Bremen fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 6, 2020

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Bremen posted:

My understanding is the French study did have a control group... but one of the two hospitals in the test decided they weren't willing to dose their patients with unproven medicine, so they used that hospital's patients as a control group, all of which had only recently been diagnosed. So the control group showed only 10% recovered after a week - which obviously can't be right, or the virus would average out to lasting ten weeks.

There was a Chinese study of Hydroxychloroquine that did have a control group... who did better than the group given hydroxychloroquine (though both groups had >80% recovery rates).

There was also some shady poo poo where they took some patients who were dying or doing badly out of the treatment group which, uh, is not kosher and skews the data towards "success" obviously.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Talk to your doctor about fish tank cleaner :freep:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Mercury_Storm posted:

Talk to your doctor about fish tank cleaner :freep:

Ask your doctor whether chloroquine phosphate is right for you, then ignore the answer when you don't like it!

It's the American way.

(Though the real American way would be not asking at all.)

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
"Hey doc, should I take fish tank cleaner?"

Doc: "Why yes, let me just write you a script for the local aq--- wait what the gently caress? Who told you about this?"

"The orange man on TV"

Doc: (continues writing script)

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 6, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Have some lithium while you're at it.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

I mean... it is a medicine with some known antiviral properties. It's not impossible that Hydroxychloroquine could help with Covid-19. But there's a reason all the medical authorities are going "this needs to be tested, don't just tell everyone to take it based on early and flawed testing results".

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

It's the complete failure to realise the implications of their own figures that annoys me. These freepers saying it's only 2% mortality.

Well let's multiply 2% x 360million x50% infection rate = About 3.6 million dead. Plus X but hundreds of thousands and possibly millions with permanent lung damage or other unpleasantness. Oh and your health system collapsed and your economy completely collapsed because everyones too scared to leave the house.

Well nothing to worry about there.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Bremen posted:

I mean... it is a medicine with some known antiviral properties. It's not impossible that Hydroxychloroquine could help with Covid-19. But there's a reason all the medical authorities are going "this needs to be tested, don't just tell everyone to take it based on early and flawed testing results".

Also as mentioned, there's side-effects, one of which is possible cardio-vascular issues, like irregular heartbeats. Which is kind of a bad combo with a disease that makes it harder to oxygenate. Now sure, if you're already taking it and it works when you get the disease, you probably won't run into any issues (except of course for the possible side-effects being lethal if you're unlucky, and the fact you shouldn't be taking anti-virals unless you know you're at risk).

But the proposed treatment, as touted by Trump, also includes azithromycin, which, well, increases the chance of among other things, irregular heartbeats. So the combo MIGHT work (we're not sure yet), but it might also just get you cardiac arrest as a side-effect. Of course, we don't know the actual risk involved here yet (because, again, it hasn't been tested properly) and we don't have the percentage chances you might run into issues with the combo treatment. https://theintercept.com/2020/04/06/drug-treatment-trump-talks-covid-can-fatal-side-effect-cardiologists-warn/

Clinical trials are underway though, and with a lot of patients already on death's door, there's not as much perceived risk. So, the correct answer is unfortunately: Wait and see. Not the Trump and Freeper answer of: "Take it if you feel like it, what's the harm?"

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

If your doctor looks like either of these dudes, run away and fast.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Trump really has a type, doesn't he.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

evilmiera posted:

Also as mentioned, there's side-effects, one of which is possible cardio-vascular issues, like irregular heartbeats. Which is kind of a bad combo with a disease that makes it harder to oxygenate. Now sure, if you're already taking it and it works when you get the disease, you probably won't run into any issues (except of course for the possible side-effects being lethal if you're unlucky, and the fact you shouldn't be taking anti-virals unless you know you're at risk).

But the proposed treatment, as touted by Trump, also includes azithromycin, which, well, increases the chance of among other things, irregular heartbeats. So the combo MIGHT work (we're not sure yet), but it might also just get you cardiac arrest as a side-effect. Of course, we don't know the actual risk involved here yet (because, again, it hasn't been tested properly) and we don't have the percentage chances you might run into issues with the combo treatment. https://theintercept.com/2020/04/06/drug-treatment-trump-talks-covid-can-fatal-side-effect-cardiologists-warn/

Clinical trials are underway though, and with a lot of patients already on death's door, there's not as much perceived risk. So, the correct answer is unfortunately: Wait and see. Not the Trump and Freeper answer of: "Take it if you feel like it, what's the harm?"

Why is an antibiotic, which is used to fight bacteria, considered a treatment for a virus? Wtf? Antibiotics cannot fight viruses whatsoever because of their mechanism of action is to disrupt the cell wall of bacteria, something a virus doesn't have. Basically, there is no "target" for the antibiotic to work. Am I totally missing something here?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I had the same question, and the answer I got was that azithromycin also has some respiratory effects beyond the antibiotic effects. Something about reducing inflammation in the trachea, if I remember right. I’ll see if I can find it.

e: here’s one where it had that effect for asthmatics.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=azithromycin+inflammation+reduction&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart#d=gs_qabs&u=%23p%3DW_FvVfw5CBkJ

And another for cystic fibrosis:

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=azithromycin+inflammation+reduction&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart#d=gs_qabs&u=%23p%3DD6GdM7ZFSRgJ

So it seems like a well-educated guess, at second glance.

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 6, 2020

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Yeah, any theoretical effect for hydroxychloroquine is also secondary to its usual mode of action - it supposedly lowers lysosomal pH which inhibits viral release.

Both it and azithromycin are biologically plausible as effective against a viral illness... barely. I'd need a lot more evidence on either before saying it's effective at all, and in terms of where research for treatment should be directed you'd probably get a lot more mileage out of traditional antivirals.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Because I wanted a more direct answer, I texted a few docs I know and they all said almost the exact same thing: "it's bullshit that has no basis in reality"

I trust these docs more than I trust anything Turnip or any of his lackeys spew, fwiw.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Zipperelli. posted:

Because I wanted a more direct answer, I texted a few docs I know and they all said almost the exact same thing: "it's bullshit that has no basis in reality"

I trust these docs more than I trust anything Turnip or any of his lackeys spew, fwiw.

Yeah. It's in use in quite a few cases on "compassionate use" basis and from what I'm hearing from doctors it may be of some help in some early cases but in most it doesn't do much and certainly nothing remotely resembling "miracle cure that will end C19", we would already know if it were that.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Zwabu posted:

certainly nothing remotely resembling "miracle cure that will end C19", we would already know if it were that.
These are the same people who gobble up all those ONE WEIRD TRICK DOCTORS DONT WANT YOU TO KNOW ABOUT email, so that particular line of argument isn't going to go anywhere.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
The *only* thing I can conceive of is prophylactic treatment against the pneumonia that develops secondary to Covid, but even that is a flimsy rear end excuse because Levofloxacin and doxycycline are generally agreed to be first-line antibiotics for pneumonia infections.

Wow, these people are either functionally ret*rded or...... nope, nevermind, there is no other. They're just idiots.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Please use 'functionally Rep*blican' from now on.

Thank you.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
I went to see what freep thought of the Acting Secretary of the Navy acting like a dipshit and found instead that every third thread is about the unproven drugs Trump is pushing. Anyway, here's Coronavirus: Prime Minister Boris Johnson moved to intensive care after condition worsens posted by freeper rdl6989

quote:

To: rdl6989

He would be much better off in American care than with the NIH.

9 posted on 4/6/2020, 12:26:07 PM by Gen.Blather

About one out of every five posts is about the drugs.

quote:

To: Secret Agent Man

quote:

guess they are not giving him chloroquine/zinc/azith

Johnson fakes unconventional thought while being in thrall to authority figures, especially in regard to global warming. You can bet he never was, especially after Trump mentioned it. It may turn out to be his last mistake.

25 posted on 4/6/2020, 12:31:35 PM by Zhang Fei (My dad had a Delta 88. That was a car. It was like driving your living room.)

BUT HER EMAILS GUYS

quote:

To: StAnDeliver

quote:

Just read an article that says nobody knows if he smokes or was ever a smoker, which seems ... odd.

Journalism sucks, I read articles in the USA all the time and nobody seems to know if having a private server and sending unencrypted emails to a known sex offender is a bad thing.

29 posted on 4/6/2020, 12:32:23 PM by 1Old Pro

Look at this fuckin poo poo

quote:

To: Robert DeLong

YES! ABSOLLUTELY!

Please POTUS send over Dr. Stephen Smith from NJ, Dr. Zelenko from NY, anyone you can that can administer the following:

HYDROXYCHLOROQUINE + ZINC/Z=PAK + AZITHROMYCIN

Here is Dr. Zelenko's treatment regimen that always works:

patients treated with three drug regimen

1- hydroxychloroquine 200mg twice a day for 5 days
2- azithromycin 500mg once a day for five days
3- zinc sulfate 220mg once a day for five days

CONCLUSION - TREAT AS EARLY AND AS AGGRESSIVELY AS POSSIBLE IN THE OUTPATIENT SETTING

33 posted on 4/6/2020, 12:36:09 PM by Hostage (Article V)

quote:

To: for-q-clinton

Not if Boris is on the National Health Service— who would LOVE to kill him off. Much as the current op being run by obamaumaocare political apparatchiks... who say this is WHEN we should put every one on berniecare, and ignore doctor/patient relationship and clinical care/treatment agreement.

NHS kills more people. But, probable Boris is on private care, but maybe the hospital isn’t which is bad enough for Boris. BTw this hospitalization first reported on Russian media.

90 posted on 4/6/2020, 2:17:05 PM by John S Mosby (Sic Semper Tyrannis)

quote:

To: rdl6989

For the record: Dominic Rabb, technically the First Secretary of State and Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, would take over for Boris Johnson should Boris become incapacitated. Rabb is actually a stronger conservative and more staunch supporter of free individuals than Johnson. So while we should all pray for Johnson’s full recovery, at least we know that the UK won’t fall into communist hands.

100 posted on 4/6/2020, 3:40:46 PM by GOP Congress

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

For clarity he's being treated by the NHS because private healthcare doesn't do real medicine, because they don't make money off it, they do low effort procedures and quackery and have no life saving capacity whatosever.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
Freep really, really hates Doctor Fauci.

Coronavirus fight: White House health advisor Fauci says we may never get back to ‘normal’ posted by freeper MinorityRepublican

quote:

To: MinorityRepublican

Fauci is officially a Covid gasbag, now.

2 posted on 4/6/2020, 7:55:48 PM by an amused spectator (Mitt Romney, Chuck Schumer's p*ssboy)

wat

quote:

To: an amused spectator

The sign of an egomaniac is when he takes the bait of answering rhetorical questions.

7 posted on 4/6/2020, 7:58:03 PM by relictele

quote:

Why hasn’t Trump put a muzzle on him?

Isn’t there some clause or policy stating that he cannot talk to the press?

9 posted on 4/6/2020, 7:58:25 PM by moviefan8

look at this loving poo poo. just look at it.

quote:

To: moviefan8

I’m starting to think Trump is scared sh*tless about countermanding this guy or scarf woman! Seriously, everytime Trump leaves these pressers, these two contradict everything Trump said previously! I cannot for the life of me figure out why Trump allows this to continue?

19 posted on 4/6/2020, 8:04:06 PM by Artcore (Trump 2020!)

Haven't heard "PIAPS" in a while.

quote:

To: moviefan8

I’m starting to think Trump is scared sh*tless about countermanding this guy or scarf woman! Seriously, everytime Trump leaves these pressers, these two contradict everything Trump said previously! I cannot for the life of me figure out why Trump allows this to continue?

19 posted on 4/6/2020, 8:04:06 PM by Artcore (Trump 2020!)

wew

quote:

If Fauci continues to refer to HCQ/Z-Pac/Zinc successes as anecdotal, he may slow roll the cure, keep the death rate up to model expectations, and kill off a market that wants to explosively go up.

43 posted on 4/6/2020, 8:28:43 PM by OrioleFan (Republicans believe every day is July 4th, Democrats believe every day is April 15th.for corruptiion)

quote:

We’ll be able to “function as a society”? FUNCTION AS A SOCIETY, but not ever normal again!? I despise this man with the burning heat of ten thousand suns. I want him to burn in hell.

Dr. Fauci, GIVE US BACK OUR COUNTRY, you little terrorist pr!ck!!

44 posted on 4/6/2020, 8:29:17 PM by MayflowerMadam ( For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.)

fuckin what?

quote:

To: All

One thing that would not surprise me would be the sudden disappearance of Comrade Xi. I have to wonder if everyone in high places in China approves of his conduct and the rather obvious non-random nature of this event. Being a communist is one thing, being a crazy communist is another step down. Think Gorbachev vs Andropov.

57 posted on 4/6/2020, 8:48:36 PM by Peter ODonnell (Pray for health, economic recovery, and justice.)

Here's BIG LEAGUE WELLNESSDr. Anthony Fauci Plotted ‘Global Vaccine Action Plan’ with Bill Gates Before Pushing COVID Panic and Doubts About Hydroxychloroquine Treatments posted by freeper CheshireTheCat

quote:

To: CheshireTheCat

Bill Gates has gone full on James Bond Supervillain type psycho evil, it seems he, his foundation, or Microsoft is behind every one of these globalist initiatives from mandatory vaccination to bio-metric tracking of every human on earth via bio-metrics id2020.org ...

8 posted on 4/6/2020, 4:06:03 PM by SecondAmendment (This just proves my latest theory ... LEFTISTS RUIN EVERYTHING)

quote:

Fauci and Gates want to corner the market

9 posted on 4/6/2020, 4:21:02 PM by vigilante2 (Make liberals cry again)

quote:

Fauci is a FRAUD, Hilliary loving Deep State Coup Plotter backed by Gates and Soros!!

10 posted on 4/6/2020, 4:22:31 PM by Ann Archy (Abortion....... The HUMAN Sacrifice to the god of Convenience.)

back to back,

quote:

To: vigilante2

Gates wants 2 BILLION LESS PEOPLE IN THIS WORLD!! He is a Male Margaret Sanger! PURE EVIL!

11 posted on 4/6/2020, 4:24:02 PM by Ann Archy (Abortion....... The HUMAN Sacrifice to the god of Convenience.)

quote:

To: SecondAmendment

GATES IS BAD NEWS. NOW HE IS ATTEMPTING TO CONTROL MASSES OF PEOPLE. HE NEVER GOT HIS SORRY WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEMS TO WORK CORRECTLY, HOW CAN THIS CLOWN DEAL WITH MASSES OF PEOPLE?

12 posted on 4/6/2020, 4:31:09 PM by chopperk

quote:

yup, they wanted to use gates’ messed up ‘vaccines’ to kill off billions and set up overarching control like the st louis fed asshat just spilled out.

14 posted on 4/6/2020, 4:33:40 PM by Secret Agent Man (Gone Galt; Not Averse to Going Bronson.)

The head of the St Louis Federal Reserve said we should be doing the testing/tracing thing. He's right.

quote:

yup, they wanted to use gates’ messed up ‘vaccines’ to kill off billions and set up overarching control like the st louis fed asshat just spilled out.

14 posted on 4/6/2020, 4:33:40 PM by Secret Agent Man (Gone Galt; Not Averse to Going Bronson.)

Here's Great News: Peter Navarro is Growing Weary of Dr. Fauci’s Nonsense posted by freeper EyesOfTX

Ah, today's token sane freeper!

quote:

To: EyesOfTX

Why should doctors and epidemiologists be who we listen to in evaluating medical treatments??

Let irascible economists run medical protocols! DUH! So obvious!

5 posted on 4/6/2020, 9:32:51 AM by babble-on

quote:

To: Ann Archy

I’d be willing to bet Dr. Faucu is taking the drug to prevent getting sick.

8 posted on 4/6/2020, 9:34:48 AM by JudyinCanada

quote:

To: Paladin2

back in January and even in February Fauci was saying that the virus was rather minor. I think he has become drunk on all the attention the media heaps on him, mainly because ofo his sometimes open conflict with Trump. If he agreed with Trump, the media would be attacking him as an incompetent clown.

9 posted on 4/6/2020, 9:35:04 AM by euram

quote:

After this thing passes and all the studies and postmortems of what we did right and did wrong- I think the number one thing we did wrong was listening to Fauci.

Hydroxychloroquine and Z-Pak or Zinc works. The fact we aren’t giving it to everyone testing positive (and those with strong symptoms who haven’t got the test back yet) will be the biggest failing.

Why? Simple - Trump pushed for it. The media and half the country pushed back - including lefty Fauci. It will be the single biggest mistake. And we broke the economy over it.

14 posted on 4/6/2020, 9:37:10 AM by dan on the right

quote:

Is that what people are referring when they talk about “3-dimensional chess”? Trump appeared to be completely pinned down by a Fauci and a Blyx, but suddenly a Navarro swoops down from the upper board, taking out the Fauci, and freeing him. The globalist team is gobsmacked; they weren’t watching their 12.

23 posted on 4/6/2020, 9:40:05 AM by rightwingcrazy (;-,)

It goes on and on and on, so I'll end it on this.

quote:

To: crz

Sadly, I fear Dr. Fauci has traded his doctor brain in... and now has gone full bureaucrat... where process is more important than product, no matter the crisis! He clearly values his clinical studies, protocols and red tape over actually helping the country recover... both from the virus and economically. He’s lost in the bureaucratic process weeds... he sees nothing more important than his “studies” even over the citizens of the country!

This is Holy Week... the good doctor would probably oppose Jesus healing the sick, lame and blind because the Savior doesn’t have the proper medical licences and credentials... and then demand Jesus’ cease and desist until His Healing Touch had completed the required clinical 18 month “clinical trials.”

O Lord save us from the “experts” and egotistical doctors! O Lord please grant our president Your Holy Wisdom and Peace.

35 posted on 4/6/2020, 9:47:12 AM by FiddlePig (The greatest threat to our sacred liberty is to not value it!)

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
You know, I was worried for a while back there that Freep had become stale and boring, but boy did that change!

Thanks Covid-19!

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
On one hand at least the hucksters pushing that snake oil concoction seem to have looked up the tox information on the components, but I'd be really worried about that specific combo having some spooky interactions since both hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin can gently caress with your heart in very similar ways. And I'd still love to hear the justification for how either stop covid-19 from going all 'protein printers go brrrr' and then you drown in your own fluids.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Glad we defeated windows OS.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
OKay, here's the Navy poo poo. CW near the bottom for homophobic slurs.

Let's start with the actual real big question:

quote:

To: Enlightened1

That’s certainly an unexpected act. Why would a service secretary (who normally stay in the background publicly) fly halfway around the world during a pandemic outbreak to make a speech on a contaminated ship that is leaked to the press about not celebrating a former CO who was fired for leaking to the press? Something smells fishy, and it’s not just the bilge pumps.

10 posted on 4/6/2020, 7:21:12 AM by jz638

And then, in the very next loving post,

quote:

“...“And I’m gonna tell you something, all of you, there is never a situation where you should consider the media a part of your chain of command,” Modly said. “Because the media has an agenda and the agenda that they have depends on which side of the political aisle they sit, and I’m sorry that’s the way the country is now, but it’s the truth. And so they use it to divide us and use it to embarrass the Navy. They use it to embarrass you.”

Wow.. this guy Modly is great... Got a brass pair on him, doesn’t he...

11 posted on 4/6/2020, 7:22:49 AM by NFHale (The Second Amendment - By Any Means Necessary.)

It shouldn't come as a shock to most of you, but a lot of the posts in the thread are from people that didn't read the article. This is not one of them.

quote:

Wow, many here are quick to jump on the CO before stopping to think this through or knowing the facts.

When the first few sailors got sick and tested positive, the CO wanted to get them off the ship before it spread. He was ordered to keep them on board by his chain of command, and a few infected sailors quickly became 93.

Now that aircraft carrier, one of two tasked with defending us from China, is out of the fight, because of the Navy brass not the CO.

The other carrier tasked with defending us from China also has an outbreak and will soon be out of the fight too.

China took out both carriers in the pacific, with help from the Navy brass who ordered infected sailors to be held onboard, without firing a shot.

Now, China can do what it wants in the entire pacific ocean.

And y’all wanna string the CO up.

Whose side yall on? Y’all do know we are at war, right?

23 posted on 4/6/2020, 7:46:48 AM by Vigilantcitizen

Again, like, nobody at all is really addressing the insane bullshit that the loving Secretary of the Navy spouted. It's just this.

quote:

On March 24, USA Today reported that three, and then eventually eight crew members tested positive for the coronavirus. The U.S. Navy immediately acted to remove the members as soon as possible.

Once discovered, “several dozens” of crew members were tested as positive. The ship docked in Guam on March 27, where there was insufficient quarantine quarters available.

No crew members have required hospitalization, ICUs, ventilators.

The CO’s letter accomplished nothing other than to point out to the news media that the Chinese had taken out one of our carriers.

46 posted on 4/6/2020, 9:17:28 AM by dangus

quote:

To: damper99

The leftist losers who frequently inhabit the upper management levels of the military ALL should have been immediately fired by President Trump.

58 posted on 4/6/2020, 11:03:47 AM by hal ogen (First Amendment or Reeducation Camp???)

So, let's try again. Here's Navy Secretary Upbraids Aircraft Carrier’s Captain Over Intercom posted by freeper billorites

quote:

To: billorites

“too naive or too stupid to be a commanding officer of a ship”

Bingo! And thankfully he no longer is. The seamen onboard the Roosevelt had better get their heads straight or they are too stupid or naive to serve as well.

4 posted on 4/6/2020, 10:54:38 AM by bigbob (Trust Trump. Trust the Plan.)

So keep in mind that the audio was accidentally broadcast to the crew, and in the recording we have of it, the crew is reacting ... poorly.

quote:

Very straight talk is what that crew needed! And the profanity was appropriate. He was talking to a Navy crew and those are terms they understand.

17 posted on 4/6/2020, 11:02:36 AM by JWNM

:thunk:

quote:

So apparently a large part, perhaps the large majority, of the crew viewed the former CO was a popular and well respected leader. Now the Secretary of the Navy has just told them they are naďve and stupid. Wonder what that does for morale?

25 posted on 4/6/2020, 11:12:07 AM by DoodleDawg

lol there's audio

quote:

This story if total BS. As a senior enlisted Navy retiree I can tell you that NO SECNAV would get on the general announcing system of a U.S. Navy Ship and use profanity when addressing 5,000 men and women. Do you people believe that SECNAV flew all the way to Guam just to explain his actions in firing that idiot CO? He is neither obligated nor does he owe those sailors ( and i use that term loosely) an explanation. What those sailors should be doing is getting their rear end in uniform, then STFU and get back to doing their jobs.

FYI there are no “gangplanks” in the Navy anymore. That CO was not walking the gangplank. He was walking off the ship on the forward BROW.

If SECNAV did so what this story describes, then he would be next to walk the so called plank.

53 posted on 4/6/2020, 11:56:58 AM by submarine571

Very, very, very few freepers agree with this guy.

quote:

If the Navy Secretary is so concerned about the chain of command, why isn’t he letting uniformed officers over Captain Crozier handle this? He’s a jerk not worthy of his position, either too naive or stupid to be there at the Pentagon. I would almost bet my mortgage that this outburst comes back to bite the SecNav in the butt.

61 posted on 4/6/2020, 12:16:24 PM by Midwesterner53

For example,

quote:

To: taxcontrol

This “address” was “speaking truth to power”. About time our military departments were shaken up, cleaned out of Obama PCers and fools (i.e. SecNav Mabus of Obama), and told to shape up or ship out of the service.

West Point Military Academy is in bad shape, with teachers who are weak, leftists, incompetent, or just plain stupid.
That is a story that a major conservative news body (TV, print, radio) needs to investigate. Worse than you could ever know.

62 posted on 4/6/2020, 12:16:49 PM by MadMax, the Grinning Reaper

You mean, a good guy trying to do the right thing that gets crushed by corruption from above?

quote:

To: A_perfect_lady

From your excerpt, the captain sounds like another Aleksander Vindman type of officer.

43 posted on 4/6/2020, 2:24:33 PM by Sans-Culotte (With every passing day, I am a little bit gladder that Romney lost in 2012.)

Hi Kit Cat!

quote:

To: Sans-Culotte

He IS EXACTLY a Vindeman type officer who should be nothing more than a pencil pusher!! I am SO PROUD of the Secretary of Navy he sounds like a mans man and doesn’t give 2 shits about what the media has to say!!

44 posted on 4/6/2020, 2:29:30 PM by Trump Girl Kit Cat (Yosemite Sam raising hell)

Here's Sailors slam Navy for virus response on ships, Naval Base San Diego posted by freeper Mariner

quote:

Lot's of pussies moaning in this article.

It is simply not possible to turn off the USN.

Civilization itself depends on the USN.

Once they are gone, eventually everyone dies. And everything remaining burns to the ground.

1 posted on 4/6/2020, 5:29:09 PM by Mariner

quote:

To: Mariner

Jesus ... China, just nuke us now. We haven’t got a prayer with these bitches. What the HELL happened to my Navy?

2 posted on 4/6/2020, 5:30:50 PM by Greenpees (Coulda Shoulda Woulda)

quote:

Ya gotta wonder what these sailors would do if a war actually started.

People are SHOOTING at us!! This isn’t safe!

5 posted on 4/6/2020, 5:35:45 PM by Skywise

quote:

This all started when they decided to let pussies fly Tomcats

22 posted on 4/6/2020, 6:05:52 PM by DesertRhino (Dog is man's best friend, and moslems hate dogs. Add that up. ....)

CW: spoiler'd slur

quote:

We created it over time. Did you hear what the sailor said? "Employee." That is how they see themselves and DoD, Congress and previous administrations allowed it to happen.

When I left the Pentagon in 2017, the DIA employee of the year was a human being in a dress that was given the award for......deploying as a human being in a dress. DIA even made a video telling the human being in a dress' story.

And we are critical of the sailors? They were PRODUCED like this.

Want to reverse it? Go back to the term "non-rates" for E1-E3, and give the NCOs the power to put people in the front leaning rest position for screwing up. And give the NCO's their NCO clubs again instead of all-rank enlisted clubs.

28 posted on 4/6/2020, 6:12:08 PM by Salvavida

quote:

To: Greenpees

quote:

What the HELL happened to my Navy?

Mixed gender crewing of ships, requiring ship commanders and mid level leadership to not report negatives resulting from mix gendered crewing of ships and the mutating of the promotion selection process for officers and NCOs that fully supported any and all SJW degeneracy and depravity.

37 posted on 4/6/2020, 6:40:36 PM by Grimmy (equivocation is but the first step along the road to capitulation)

Nobody, not a single comment, noted what the sailors were complaining about.

Let's close with Acting Navy secretary walks back his calling fired carrier captain ‘naive, stupid’ posted by freeper Kalija

quote:

“I apologize for any confusion this choice of words may have caused,” Modly wrote late Monday evening, referring to his speech aboard the Roosevelt on Sunday. “I also want to apologize directly to Captain Crozier, his family, and the entire crew of the Theodore Roosevelt for any pain my remarks may have caused.”

The backtracking came hours after Modly said “I stand by every word I said,” in a statement.

quote:

To: Kalija

Modly is toast.

2 posted on 4/6/2020, 9:00:17 PM by dfwgator (Endut! Hoch Hech!)

quote:

To: lee martell

He’ll be gone by the end of the week.

7 posted on 4/6/2020, 9:08:27 PM by dfwgator (Endut! Hoch Hech!)

quote:

To: dfwgator

Just for that? Why was it so bad? Because it got so much attention at this particular time? Sometimes, the average civilian is just too soft.

I haven’t forgotten that this is still an Election Year, so Mr. Trump doesn’t want to implant that negative experience in the voter’s mind. I get it.
As Jack Nickelson said in that film “They can’t handle the truth!”

11 posted on 4/6/2020, 9:26:28 PM by lee martell

Yes, ladies and gents, please remember that freep thinks he's gone not because he did a stupid thing, but because he apologized.

quote:

To: lepton

Thats exactly what he said and then screwed the pooch for apologizing.

Stop paying so damned much attention to your grammar nazi duties and get on with this ‘rona panic.

18 posted on 4/6/2020, 9:42:26 PM by Delta 21 (Be strong & prosper, be weak & die! Stay true.... ~~ Donald J. Trump)

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Biggest gripe is "they need to be talked to like this" I've had loving bosses say this horse poo poo like oh you were military? That means I can treat you like poo poo!

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
It's loving hilarious that dipshit decided to go on the intercom to the whole ship to try and convince them their affection for the former captain of said ship was fake news from a biased media.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
Finally from me tonight, Vanity: Once the All Clear is Given, How can Trump counter Governors Keeping their States Closed posted by freeper usafa92

quote:

To: usafa92

Good question. I’m more afraid of Comrade Governors and Comrade Mayors than I am of the virus. Cuomo and de Blasio will be very stubborn to give up the dictatorial powers.

2 posted on 4/6/2020, 8:32:45 PM by libertylover (Socialism will always look good to those who think they can get something for nothing.)

yeah okay sure

quote:

Trump doesn’t need too and it doesn’t need to be uniform.

The citizens of each state will get fractious with stupid governors and their will be widespread ignoring of governor’s orders at the county level if they keep the stupid going.

The more the governor’s piss off their citizenry, the more likely that state will flip to Trump. Wait for it.

6 posted on 4/6/2020, 8:34:26 PM by Valpal1

uhhuh if you say so

quote:

I think the best way is that when Republican States open up, pressure will build -very- fast on the Dem states. Very quickly it will become unbearable.

10 posted on 4/6/2020, 8:34:56 PM by DesertRhino (Dog is man's best friend, and moslems hate dogs. Add that up. ....)

MURICA

quote:

Don’t give them any money. They are already begging after four weeks. If they want to starve the people in their States, then they will have to deal with it.

12 posted on 4/6/2020, 8:36:09 PM by wejjr235

quote:

China will no doubt release another virus.

17 posted on 4/6/2020, 8:38:02 PM by Telepathic Intruder

quote:

If they do that, they’re all blue states anyway. It has way more potential to help him than hurt him. He can even point out that they be better off in a free state (or replaceming theirs with a freedom-based state government). If that doesn’t resonates them, no loss anyway.

20 posted on 4/6/2020, 8:40:07 PM by Still Thinking (Freedom is NOT a loophole!)

gently caress you.

quote:

To: fhayek

quote:

Freedom will out. Just do it.

yup
ISOLATE THE MOST VULNERABLE
everybody else, isolate yourself or take your chances.
it's called life.

21 posted on 4/6/2020, 8:40:25 PM by 867V309 (Lock Her Up)

quote:

The economic struggles will explode in those states and, the governors will take the heat.

I live in Washington and Trump should be pushing Boeing to open up again before the end of the month, and encourage the employees and shareholders to demand new leadership.
SOBs are probably just after bail out money.

He might just gain about 70,000 votes in this state in the process.

22 posted on 4/6/2020, 8:41:02 PM by right way right (May we remain sober over mere men, for God really is our only true hope.)

quote:

I doubt if there's anything President Dr. Trump can do if states defy his order to end the lockdown. Look at how Commiefornia defies Federal immigration laws and gets away with it. >

Which is why I laugh when I hear demonicRATS say President Dr. Trump should issue a nationwide lockdown. I almost wish he would do it so demonicRAT governors will say, "Oh, yeah? Scroo you. You can't tell me what to do. I'm opening my state up for business."

24 posted on 4/6/2020, 8:41:29 PM by Texas Eagle (If it wasn't for double-standards, Liberals would have no standards at all -- Texas Eagle)

lol socialist Inslee

quote:

Already, here in Washington, Inslee has had to veto by line some of his Democrat legislators spending wants. So, that might be a portent of things to come that will make a socialist Governor like Inslee from keeping Washington State in lock-down.

26 posted on 4/6/2020, 8:42:11 PM by Parmy

quote:

He can use tanks!

33 posted on 4/6/2020, 8:52:34 PM by DarthVader (Not by speeches & majority decisions will the great issues of the day be decided but by Blood & Iron)

Look at the brains on this guy.

quote:

There is no all clear. All the ‘flatten the curves’ are flawed. When you flatten the curve, the curve is extended. By flattening the curve, we have extended the amount of time the virus will be infecting people.

38 posted on 4/6/2020, 8:54:51 PM by aimhigh (THIS is His commandment . . . . 1 John 3:23)

quote:

To: right way right

Why isn’t Boeing considered an essential business? How many military aircraft depend on Boeing parts?

48 posted on 4/6/2020, 9:20:17 PM by Kirkwood (Zombie Hunter)

quote:

I’d guess the Justice department could whip out the ol trusty “Commerce Clause”, for which they have used many a preposterous argument to gain final regulatory control of a wide range of industries. It was the commerce clause that enabled them to control the entire drug industries. Same with the gun industry. So, I think a commerce clause argument, franed against the intent and words of the Commerce Clause case, would and should be an easy win. An order from the US Supreme Court, indicating that the Governors are violating the commerce clause, would cause federal intervention if the states did not return to commerce. But, time is going to be working against these states, and their politicians, that decide to sit on the sidelines too long.

54 posted on 4/6/2020, 9:25:16 PM by krogers58

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Feinne posted:

It's loving hilarious that dipshit decided to go on the intercom to the whole ship to try and convince them their affection for the former captain of said ship was fake news from a biased media.

Yes the non rates are gonna listen to politicians moreso than a captain