Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Mr.Radar posted:

Holy poo poo, my brother is on that ship right now and is suspected to have Covid-19 and that recording made my blood boil. I've never felt so insulted in my life, the lies he tells are so transparent, the attempt to deflect blame to China and Captain Croizer, just :catstare: :catstare: :catstare: There was one bit of it that was completely correct, though:

i think we would still have a country tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mr.Radar posted:

Holy poo poo, my brother is on that ship right now and is suspected to have Covid-19 and that recording made my blood boil. I've never felt so insulted in my life, the lies he tells are so transparent, the attempt to deflect blame to China and Captain Croizer, just :catstare: :catstare: :catstare: There was one bit of it that was completely correct, though:

When your chain of command is topped by Donald Trump it's always justified bc we basically don't have a country anyway

Did this idiot mean that without an effective Navy we'd be conquered or something lmao

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
Fun historical fact, there was that time when Teddy Roosevelt wrote a letter about 4,000 troops under his command at risk of dying from malaria and yellow fever and leaked it to the press to get them to safety.

https://www.usni.org/magazines/proceedings/2020/april/uss-theodore-roosevelt-commanding-officer-followed-example-colonel

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Weekend at BoJo’s

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
military commanders airing their grievances to the american press is as old as the loving country itself, give me a break

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

shovelbum posted:

When your chain of command is topped by Donald Trump it's always justified bc we basically don't have a country anyway

Did this idiot mean that without an effective Navy we'd be conquered or something lmao

We would have been, once. But now? Nobody wants to conquer the US.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

"you need to understand, we've been working since March 25th to get you what you need"

lmao you stupid rear end in a top hat maybe you should have had enormous emergency supplies ready before the first confirmed cases??

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

D1E posted:

I fell for the C-SPAM groupthink that this pandemic was going to lead to a glorious revolution eventually resulting in M4A and UBI.

You binches really let me down.

Lol when was the last time a pest ship overthrew the Federal government *cough*

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Plank Walker posted:

the nyc data also appears to be trending towards a 0.5% CFR in under 45, which seems like a point against the BCG hypothesis (142 deaths/27,510 cases, w/ 9% of cases resulting in hospitalization)

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/covid-19-data.page

Yeah, and there's different versions of the vaccine, and when it was administered (maybe it only really confers some immunity if you get it as a kid and then get a booster as an adult?) that I imagine at best it's going to be of limited usefulness, unfortunately.

Just kinda funny that communism may have saved a ton of people from dying from corona-chan

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Admiral Ray posted:

We would have been, once. But now? Nobody wants to conquer the US.

Also no one has physically enough warheads to dig out our doomsday stash of same, there's no such thing as invasion anymore

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Royal Canadian Navy is also in the middle of a crisis with our plague ships, hopefully this will convince someone to do something. The military is just flailing around right now and I get contradictory emails at the start and end of every day.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

remember What The gently caress

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

MysteriousStranger posted:

for hardcore christians there are several church rites that can only be performed in person, and the communion doesn't count if you aren't there in person. ie, christianity is supposed to be hard, because christ suffered you will suffer to following him and bear your own cross.

anyone who believes this is a victim of their heretical belief systems. a proper religion would have a strong pope/imam daddy to tell you "nah just say this prayer it's cool" or "just do the funeral rights over skype".

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

he then shits all over them for cheering their departing captain and pretends that he put them all at some sort of risk

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
ER goon update: I say this with a ton of caution but we seem to be seeing a plateau. Our intubations and ICU occupancy is starting to decrease. Our area, like NY is about 10 days ahead of the rest of the country on this but hopefully we are peaking. If so I expect a rebound in mid May once we open back up but by then we’ll have 15 min covid testing.

First post in a while where I am cautiously optimistic.

Still out of gowns though. Oh well, trying to keep my family and I healthy while doing what needs to be done.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

D1E posted:

I fell for the C-SPAM groupthink that this pandemic was going to lead to a glorious revolution eventually resulting in M4A and UBI.

it will not.

it could lead to some expansions of the safety net, but anyone who thinks we're gonna come out of whatever's on the other side with anything but more inequality and corporate hegemony is, well, not smart.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

friendship ended with BCG theory

now "covid virulence tracks 1:1 with cat ownership" is my best friend

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Nodelphi posted:

ER goon update: I say this with a ton of caution but we seem to be seeing a plateau. Our intubations and ICU occupancy is starting to decrease. Our area, like NY is about 10 days ahead of the rest of the country on this but hopefully we are peaking. If so I expect a rebound in mid May once we open back up but by then we’ll have 15 min covid testing.

First post in a while where I am cautiously optimistic.

Still out of gowns though. Oh well, trying to keep my family and I healthy while doing what needs to be done.

this is good to hear :unsmith:

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

brugroffil posted:

he then shits all over them for cheering their departing captain and pretends that he put them all at some sort of risk

well they did have to listen to his speech so in a way, he's right.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

The Royal Canadian Navy is also in the middle of a crisis with our plague ships, hopefully this will convince someone to do something. The military is just flailing around right now and I get contradictory emails at the start and end of every day.

the RCN having problems is something I can understand because the Canadian military seems pretty underfunded in general. the US military having problems with this thing is insane to me given how much funding they receive.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Lord Adonis is getting suspicious

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1247200300743766017?s=19

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die.
Into the valley of Death
Sailed the USS Theodore Roosevelt.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Zil posted:

Isn't it pretty much that once you get put on a vent its a guarantee that you are too far gone?

oxygen isn't being intubated

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dreylad posted:

the RCN having problems is something I can understand because the Canadian military seems pretty underfunded in general. the US military having problems with this thing is insane to me given how much funding they receive.

he staffing part of the military is not where the funding is going lol

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

shovelbum posted:

I interpreted it as meaning that without a chain of command the military would effectively cease to exist, and as having a military is a requirement for a cohesive modern state the state would therefore cease to exist.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

fake news

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

nobody is beyond the air force, it's not even close. the air force school is in colorado springs the home of biblical nutjobbery. biblical nut jobs specifically join the air force because of it's political power and latest and greatest technologies over all the other services. the air force has repeatedly gotten into trouble for forcing christianity on it's own staff.

This makes sense, if ur way up high in a plane, ur closer to heaven. Way down deep in a sub? Closer to hell.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

wow thanks brian stelter, i definitely respect you as a serious journalist now. Drink sprite, i'm lovin it

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

bojo is right here, posting alongside all of us, can't you see him

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Schnorkles posted:

it will not.

it could lead to some expansions of the safety net, but anyone who thinks we're gonna come out of whatever's on the other side with anything but more inequality and corporate hegemony is, well, not smart.

the only potential positive outcomes of COVID are 1) killing a sufficient number of olds that it meaningfully alters the electorate 2) the resulting depression radicalizing people towards left economics. neither is guaranteed.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

oxygen isn't being intubated

It's true, but he could have up to 15lpm via NRB at home, so if he's being admitted it's either high flow or a vent. I think people are just being optimistic.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

D1E posted:

lol not even a month into the economic collapse and virus crisis and you and Schnork already declaring defeat

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

re: that dumb rear end in a top hat's message

He ends it with whining about the "hatred and pure evil directed" his way and attacking Joe Biden for criticizing this move

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

what will britain do without his steady hand at the wheel? 😢

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Epic High Five posted:

friendship ended with BCG theory

now "covid virulence tracks 1:1 with cat ownership" is my best friend

Remember one mans indoor outdoor cat is another five mens same

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Paramemetic posted:

Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die.
Into the valley of Death
Sailed the USS Theodore Roosevelt.

The old lie: Dulce et decorum est pro patria tussim

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

it is the Duty of every Troop to lay down his life to keep the president's Numbers from Looking Bad

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

kaleedity posted:

remember What The gently caress

i invoke WTF every day

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/TrumpNewsPolls/status/1247204530699358209

The military is authoritarian? Well that's the last place I'd expect that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Dustcat posted:

it is the Duty of every Troop to lay down his life to keep the president's Numbers from Looking Bad

tprmp is going to say every dead troop is china's fault