Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

lol that landlord would've gotten destroyed in court with or without the coronavirus poo poo, good god. hundreds of years of laws against forcible entry and detainer and yet landlords refuse to know what they're able to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

international Diplomatic row brews as J-pop star “GACKT” rouses rabble against government during the modern Pox Pandemic

President Donald Trump of The Apprentice fame has called his closest advisors, A-Rod and Guy Fiero to defuse the situation

up next: Is murder ok, if it makes your life easier? our Instagram influencers discuss

Gackt is a lot more than just a J-Pop star. He's played with the Japanese Philharmonic Orchestra and has written scores for historical stage plays, which he also wrote and starred in.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

speng31b posted:

i've been out of the loop for a few days, any links on this?

who the gently caress is keeping bookmarks these days, it’s a torrent of bad news

but I do seem to remember that some millennia back, when all this began, the OMS clearly said:
“don’t hoard masks, they’re for doctors and nurses, you don’t need them bro” and it sort of evolved into “yeah you don’t need masks because they won’t protect too much and maybe it will be even worse” etc

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

haven't we known for months it was airborne?

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You got gackt

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SKULL.GIF posted:

Jury’s still out

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

SKULL.GIF posted:

There's this big false difference between "airborne" and "droplet spread" which is a legacy of some pre-science TB poo poo, so like close contact is the worst thing but it can kind of bumble around in the air somewhat too, think store or hospital vs someone walking by your house I think?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Gripweed posted:

Gackt is a lot more than just a J-Pop star. He's played with the Japanese Philharmonic Orchestra and has written scores for historical stage plays, which he also wrote and starred in.

Cathy says: Ack!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

speng31b posted:

i've been out of the loop for a few days, any links on this?

lol what you want us to spoonfeed you?

CDC updated their research 2 days ago and found the R0 is 5.7 or higher: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/7/20-0282_article

previously they thought it was ~2.8. it's a huge increase and would only really be possible for something that travels in the air

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

mod sassinator posted:

CDC updated their research and found the R0 is 5.7 or higher: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/7/20-0282_article

previously they thought it was ~2.8. it's a huge increase and would only really be possible for something that travels in the air

holy poo poo

I remember a doctor on Twitter freaking out because the statistics were saying it was 3.6, predicting (if it were true) the end of civilization

hope he’s ok

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

number go up

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

nice to get a sneak peek at one of the generation defining pics all our grandkids will see in their history textbooks

i mean hopefully

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
huh, America is currently 16 thousand deaths and 25 thousand recoveries.

That doesn't seem like a great ratio

speng31b
May 8, 2010

mod sassinator posted:

CDC updated their research 2 days ago and found the R0 is 5.7 or higher: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/7/20-0282_article

i meant with regards to anything specifically about it being airborne or existing in the air for periods of time outside of a lab aerosol, ty

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Schmoe Cwead posted:

nice to get a sneak peek at one of the generation defining pics all our grandkids will see in their history textbooks

i mean hopefully

there arent going to be any history books bc climate

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

shovelbum posted:

there arent going to be any history books bc climate

break out your chisels we need to get something down on stone

Bund
Mar 2, 2007

you are getting very hungry

https://twitter.com/steak_umm/status/1248338110183878658

Cuomo/Steak-um 2020

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
yeah the other implication is what it means for herd immunity. with r0 of 2.8 they thought herd immunity would start around 60% of the population infected. but with r0 of 5.7 it means 80% of the population need to be infected before herd immunity matters. so like, we need to either stay in lockdown until a vaccine is available (anywhere from 12 months to forever, we have literally never made a vaccine for this type of virus--it's like vaccinating for the common cold) or long enough to flatten the curve and slowly get to 80% infected.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/BLaw/status/1248358704862433280

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

Gripweed posted:

huh, America is currently 16 thousand deaths and 25 thousand recoveries.

That doesn't seem like a great ratio

I imagine it has something to do with fact you gotta get tested once to be a death, twice to be a recovery, and it's hard to get a test unless you are actively dying

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Gripweed posted:

Am I the only on who doesn't find this very reassuring?

dont know where

dont know when

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

speng31b posted:

i meant with regards to anything specifically about it being airborne or existing in the air for periods of time outside of a lab aerosol, ty

it's airborne, period. if you want to quibble about 'but but the jetstream won't transport it to europe! it's not airborne!!' bullshit then go for it, but you don't get a high R0 like that from people touching each other. it's airborne enough to matter, period.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

quote:

In an interview [with the landlord], he lashed out against undocumented immigrants, refugees and Black Lives Matter activists, and what he sees as government overreach in response to the coronavirus outbreak.

“What’s happening with the coronavirus shutdown is a communist takeover,” he said.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/thehill/status/1248297146031497216

https://mobile.twitter.com/EricaLG/status/1248068446304251906

College cops

quote:

A right-wing commentator interviewed Jerry Falwell Jr. during his show Wednesday, where Falwell said that there were two arrest warrants open for reporters who came onto Liberty University’s campus.

Upon further examination of the warrant, the police officer who signed the warrant was Detective/Sgt. A.B. Wilkins 206 LUPD. The LUPD is not the Lynchburg Police Department nor is there a Sgt. or Detective A.B. Wilkins. It’s the police department under the authority of Liberty University.

Warrants are typically issued by a judge who directs an arresting officer to execute the warrant. No judge appears to have signed the warrant nor is there a judge mentioned, though the warrant does cite the Lynchburg, Virginia courthouse.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Anyone else thinking about using their $1,200 in TrumpBux to buy a small packable tent, a sleeping bag, a camp stove and a nice rolling cart and just running with the whole homeless thing?

Once McDonald's opens back up I can charge my laptop there and use free WiFi to shitpost, and "shower" in their bathroom.

I probably only need to beg about $10 a day to live.

Any goons want to join me? We could play LAN games together at Mickey D's.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I just want to take a moment to reassure everyone that the virus which combines the dormancy and reactivation of HIV, the contagiousness of small pox, and the deadliness of SARS is not a bioweapon. The main reason you can know this is that the military is too competent.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

cops don't get to issue arrest warrants, in fact they're rather famous for needing a judge for that

speng31b
May 8, 2010

mod sassinator posted:

it's airborne, period. if you want to quibble about 'but but the jetstream won't transport it to europe! it's not airborne!!' bullshit then go for it, but you don't get a high R0 like that from people touching each other. it's airborne enough to matter, period.

yeah, i get that. as other poster mentioned there's been no doubt about that for awhile. i was wondering if some new research had come out about specifics, sounds like not. that R0 article is alarming, though, thanks for sharing.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Dustcat posted:

cops don't get to issue arrest warrants, in fact they're rather famous for needing a judge for that

Through Jesus all things are possible.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

D1E posted:

Anyone else thinking about using their $1,200 in TrumpBux to buy a small packable tent, a sleeping bag, a camp stove and a nice rolling cart and just running with the whole homeless thing?

Once McDonald's opens back up I can charge my laptop there and use free WiFi to shitpost, and "shower" in their bathroom.

why not just stay in your apartment until evictions are allowed again, you can still buy your tent in advance and beg for food money and you'll be warm and dry in the meanwhile

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

D1E posted:

that kinda pandemic homeless plan might have work in the before times, but nowadays when 60 million other people are in the same shoes? lol no you won't find any mcdonalds that isn't being 24/7 monitored by armed guards. and every grassy spot hidden away and near them is going to be teeming with other people.

get something that you can hunt food with. get good at it. consider moving to a remote part of alaska, like this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG3fUIoXQ5A

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

D1E posted:

shoot for the stars young goon

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Schmoe Cwead posted:

i mean hopefully

Utz
Aug 1, 2008

by vyelkin

bill the cat also says ack as well as thbbft iirc

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

poty posted:

mentally able to make decisions

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

not me irl

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

sounds like they're upset about the loony left invading their campus safe space

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/keribla/status/1248370931048894464

lol

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

D1E posted:

Thank you President Trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Coronachan wants to show how a real professional does it