Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Proud Christian Mom posted:

will probably be seized by the city under eminent domain and then to Facebook for 99 years for $1

No need for eminent domain, even. There's no way the Statesman will be able to continue paying the property tax on that thing for another decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I think whoever owns it is looking for a developer already to sell it to

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JohnCornyn/status/1248581686352318464

Why, it's Mr. Good Faith himself, Big John Cornyn

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

zoux posted:

I mean, there will certainly need to be some very intense case studies and postmortems done on a lot of the popular models that were released to the public, how accurate they actually were, how reliable the information was on which they were built, and if the way they were presented helped or hurt the public health. People will be doing dissertations around the ethics of the way data science was used here for decades to come.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Yeah that's what he totally meant by that tweet...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One of the major issues is going to be where you draw the line at Covid 19 being the cause of death. Either directly, as in the person themselves were infected, or indirectly, as you can see cases of ER DOA arrivals increasing significantly due to the system being overburdened or people who died from not receiving care they otherwise would if there hadn't been a pandemic going on (spoiler: lefty people will count everything, righty will count only those deaths where an amalgamated form of trillions of virus particles manifest into corporeality, purchase a firearm and kill someone with it, and that the libs are trying to use this tragedy to take away our gun rights)

Another is that pretty much everyone way under tested and under count, US and China being the biggest offenders, but Japan probably juked the stats a bunch too, as cases there started to spike exactly after the 2020 Olympics got postponed.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

our governor is a stupid piece of poo poo!

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1248714895853588487?s=20

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

hahahaha

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy

:negative: Ughhh my CHUD boss is going to use this to try and get me back to work (where I frequently interact with the public) even though he’s immunocompromised and I have asthma.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

zoux posted:

How about we talk about models like this:

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

How does one "reopen businesses" if the only customers left are virus denyers? There are a lot of antiscience people in this state, but there can't be enough to sustain restaurants etc.

Abbott's reopening guidelines are gonna be to wipe down the tables and wash your hands.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

smoobles posted:

How does one "reopen businesses" if the only customers left are virus denyers? There are a lot of antiscience people in this state, but there can't be enough to sustain restaurants etc.

Abbott's reopening guidelines are gonna be to wipe down the tables and wash your hands.

I mean, you've got virus deniers, people who say "gently caress it, I'm gonna get sick anyways", people who think they already got coronavirus back in February (there are a surprising number of those folks out there), and people who know all the dangers but just hate being inside and are willing to risk their lives because they see it as being better that what we have now.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If they announce a reopening of everything, the bosses can order employees back to work without endangering themselves.

Never mind how they'll still feel the negative effects of the pandemic resurging even if they keep insulated from the disease itself. They've done a lot of work externalizing the suffering of others, they're not going to start considering how they benefit from the world being a better place now. Next you'll be wondering how commerce is supposed to work if most people get minimum wage and don't have money to spend buying things.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

SlothfulCobra posted:

If they announce a reopening of everything, the bosses can order employees back to work without endangering themselves.

Never mind how they'll still feel the negative effects of the pandemic resurging even if they keep insulated from the disease itself. They've done a lot of work externalizing the suffering of others, they're not going to start considering how they benefit from the world being a better place now. Next you'll be wondering how commerce is supposed to work if most people get minimum wage and don't have money to spend buying things.

The answer to that so far (since 1982 or so) has been debt. I can't find the graph now, but subtracting out new debt issuance, US GDP has been flat or negative for almost 40 years.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Working in the capitol is fun until you see your paycheck

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

I think any 'guidelines' that do not come with free coronavirus testing is a 'plan' built on hope.

syntaxrigger fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 12, 2020

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

syntaxrigger posted:

I think any 'guidelines' that do not come with free coronavirus testing is a 'plan' built on hope.

Dont forget available, an important part of any plan to take care of large numbers of people. It doesn't matter how free it is if only a select few are still getting them or the people involved have to wait way too long resulting in many not doing so at all.

Signed
-Some guy staying up till the middle of the goddamn night so I can actually get on the twc page and request my unemployment.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

syntaxrigger posted:

Yeah but if you do that not only will it cost money, but the bad number will go up!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1249829557252820997

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

enraged_camel posted:

We added another 6.6 million unemployment claims this week.

I'd say about a third of my friends have either gotten laid off or their hours/salaries reduced. And I feel that number would be a lot higher if I didn't live in Austin where so many people work in tech.

On this subject boy is our UI claim system dumb.

How long until I get the money I claimed is it a few days ,is it a month from when I first claimed?

Don't know but the online portal is obtuse and the phone line is impossible to get through half the time

I really hope San Antonio does this, the place where I work has a lot of people coming through I will catch this poo poo if I have to work

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 14, 2020

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
After trail running near Galveston yesterday I stopped by to grab some food at one of those coastal communities that, if you live on the Guff Coast anywhere, you're familiar with - managers at the chemical plant who have put a million or so in the bank, every guy has a goatee, sunglasses, a flag hat and a frown - while the women have visors - and they're all on candy colored car-shaped golf carts with Trump 2020 stickers on them. I politely chatted from my perch on the balcony as they clustered together, ordered jello shots from the restaurant to be brought out, then chicken tenders, then drinks (my order took forever to make in spite of being simple). Right before I left, one of the guys bounded down the stairs from yelling an order in the door - the restaurant was smartly not letting people in at all - and exclaimed, "I'm about tired of this poo poo and so is Governor Greg Abbott and by God next week we're gonna put this state back to work!" to approving murmurs.

So, yeah, rednecks of all socioeconomic levels have reached their limit and are ready to die, to which I say, "Vaya con dios!"

Nice people otherwise. The lady was a bit dismayed when I told her her vacation to Ireland in September wasn't going to happen, but the group talked her out of that, so it's all good.

For every The Villages, there are 1,000 of these communities dotting the Guff Coast.

EDIT: When you hear the term "sundowners"- these are the sundowners.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 14, 2020

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

ReindeerF posted:

EDIT: When you hear the term "sundowners"- these are the sundowners.

"Sundowners" has a much different connotation to me. Gulf coast semi-retirees are much more casual in their racism.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Sundown towns and Sundowners are not the same usage of the word, though there definitely have been sundown towns on the Gulf Coast (Hello famous example Vidor!). Sundowners is a pretty modern boomerish phenomenon as far as my experience, but I've never looked up the etymology to see how far back it goes. If you live near retirement areas, especially near the water, you'll encounter places named The Sundowner Club, etc, frequently.

EDIT: Totally coincidental, but since I'm stuck here in Guff Coast Texas until such point as the world mends or ends, my father recommended to me a documentary series from A&E that's on Amazon Prime called The Eleven. If you want to see what that area is like, I mean, granted, it's a crime documentary so it's not a cross-section of all society, but it does a pretty good job of showing people from then and now. Salty bunch down here for sure, heh.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 14, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/chucklindell/status/1250108659234938882

Tax cuts, no matter what

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Esteemed members of the board,
Riot-damage to our assets has become absolutely essential for us to even have a hope of making numbers this quarter.

I propose the following plan...

:guillotine:

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Eh, I can't blame him for trying. My guess is that most people are probably going to get raped by the appraisal district since sales taxes are way down in most municipalities.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I mean, there's a 10 pct cap on appraisal growth already.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

We will unironically need property tax cuts/exemptions/forgiveness, or whatever you want to call it.

Most restaurants and retail businesses are already in the red, and there's no loving way they'll bounce back from this enough to be able to afford our already extravagantly high property taxes in January.

Not to mention homeowners who have been furloughed or lost their jobs.

The state needs to appeal to the federal government to make up the resulting budget shortfall.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 14, 2020

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Or tax businesses.

I know I know

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1250154760289869824

Also special thanks to the Saudis and Russians for starting an oil price war they couldn't just turn off and restore prices due to a complete demand collapse for fuel products.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Is that an old movie quote? Surely it isn't a real life quote...surely......right?

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

So is Abott still on track with forcing open businesses for Texas state-wide? I'm hoping he changed his mind on things since I haven't heard a peep about it on any local news articles or the web.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
How could you tell? Denton county just decided that golf courses were essential businesses...

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Parrotine posted:

So is Abott still on track with forcing open businesses for Texas state-wide? I'm hoping he changed his mind on things since I haven't heard a peep about it on any local news articles or the web.

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1250188719782584322

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1250154760289869824

Also special thanks to the Saudis and Russians for starting an oil price war they couldn't just turn off and restore prices due to a complete demand collapse for fuel products.

I've been listening in all day and the last time the Railroad Commission had production limits was 1973. A couple of the really old producers that are still around said the way it was managed was the commission meeting monthly, determining how much production was prudent, and then manually looking at individual fields/leases. This time, people are proposing a flat 20-25% cut across all producers and it seems like most small operators are for it (they have been locked out of pipelines recently and have 50%+ cuts because of that) and the large ones want to hit the gas, drive into the wall and buy up all the bankruptcies.

This was my favorite comment, he was supposed to be on the line 15 minutes ago, but wasn't in the meeting. I really hope he shows up and explains why we need a submarine.

https://rrc.texas.gov/media/57190/cmts-recvd-apr14-conf-collier.pdf

Edit: He just got on, but wasn't nearly as crazy as the comment made him sound.

Edit2: Never mind, he just went full Q out of nowhere taking some phrase, googling it, and finding a conspiracy relating to 1949.

Oil! fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 15, 2020

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

God dammit :(

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Disnesquick posted:

What's your friend's store? I was in a vintage place before lockdown and they weirdly had a repro cartridge of the English translation of Clock Tower, which is one I did the coding work for back in teh days of the romhack scene. Was very odd and cool to run into an old bit of work in the wild.

Replay Games, off of Shepherd. He's taking orders through facebook I think.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Hawkline posted:

Another replay of the 2006 Rose Bowl?

:boom:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Xarthor posted:

:negative: Ughhh my CHUD boss is going to use this to try and get me back to work (where I frequently interact with the public) even though hes immunocompromised and I have asthma.

get a note from a doctor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

lol