Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Moon Monster posted:

This is such a weird take, I get not liking them but why is them dying a good thing?

I got in on the ground floor when it came to being treated like poo poo by CMON. They didn't send me something I had paid for and blanked me multiple times when I filed an enquiry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Jedit posted:

I got in on the ground floor when it came to being treated like poo poo by CMON. They didn't send me something I had paid for and blanked me multiple times when I filed an enquiry about it.

That and, as is, their business model of LITERALLY using kickstarters to stay afloat (aside from being publicly traded now) is just a dumpster fire.

Their kickstarters have all become very cookiecutter in style, with an extremely low bar of entry/starting funding goal, then adding a million stretch goals to make backers feel fulfilled.

In the end, it's just a facade rather than an honest campaign.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I seem to vaguely remember CMON managing kickstarters for smaller studios and not being too great about it. Is that still a thing they do? Was it ever?

While i don't want to see any backers get shafted i think there's definitely an argument to be made that at the kickstarter segment of the boardgame industry is better off without CMON setting the expectations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bistromatic posted:

I seem to vaguely remember CMON managing kickstarters for smaller studios and not being too great about it. Is that still a thing they do? Was it ever?

They were working with Paolo Mori's Spaghetti Western Games at one point, they KSed Dogs of War and released Ethnos direct to retail IIRC. Of course Dogs of War had important gameplay components as KS exclusives, but it's still probably the best game they ever released.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

And Ethnos is just begging for an expansion, and a map that isn't Slovakia.

Interesting that they've supported The Grizzled as well as they have. Was it that much of a hit?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The only CMON I started to back was Rivet Wars. I stopped backing them when they started doing all these KS exclusive addons and I didn't want to encourage that kind of activity.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

The Moon Monster posted:

This is such a weird take, I get not liking them but why is them dying a good thing?
David Doust

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

CMON did eventually respond to the audit news thing here: https://www.cmon.com/news/cmon-april-2020-update

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
They've always done a bunch of Kickstarter exclusive stretch content and addons, from what I can tell. What really turned me off them was when they started doing entire games as Kickstarter exclusive addons on some other game's KS. Like when they did the sci-fi Zombicide, there was a separate $100 sci-fi Zombicide with a different premise that was an addon exclusive to that campaign. gently caress off.

Edit: I mean, I'd mostly lost interest in their stuff from a design perspective by then anyway. But still. Ugh.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The only CMON I started to back was Rivet Wars. I stopped backing them when they started doing all these KS exclusive addons and I didn't want to encourage that kind of activity.

Honestly the CMON ethos of relying on FOMO just wears one out.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

CMON's minis are great but their business practices are rear end. Seriously, consistently and intentionally shipping to retailers before the people who backed the game on Kickstarter? Sometimes months before? That's just being an rear end in a top hat for no loving good reason.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Do CMON games even do well in retail? I feel like half the game is missing without the KS exclusives.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

Do CMON games even do well in retail? I feel like half the game is missing without the KS exclusives.

Zombicide sells well because the people who buy it and like it often don't even know about the exclusives. As for others, over here I rarely see a CMON game at retail at all.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jedit posted:

Zombicide sells well because the people who buy it and like it often don't even know about the exclusives. As for others, over here I rarely see a CMON game at retail at all.

Ancedotal and all, but that mostly scans for my FLGS. Zombicide will move every now and then and the further we get from the zombie crazy the less that is, the other stuff generally warms shelves.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Jedit posted:

The exclusives for Zombicide, at least in earlier projects where I was still buying in, were just survivors that either referenced famous movie characters or were sculpted by some presumably well known artist. Since Zombicide survivors only differ in like one special ability, and there are tons anyway, there's not that much to miss really.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Zombicide does well, Blood Rage did well, a few of their other non-KS centric titles that weren't stupid price have also sold okay, but for the most part not particularly ime. Although we also had KS versions of Rising Sun just sit on the shelf with no one interested in them.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

S.J. posted:

Zombicide does well, Blood Rage did well, a few of their other non-KS centric titles that weren't stupid price have also sold okay, but for the most part not particularly ime. Although we also had KS versions of Rising Sun just sit on the shelf with no one interested in them.

I feel that local interest on games at LGS is super loving weird - I've seen Zombicide sit on shelves for months, but Blood Rage and Rising Sun fly off the shelves.

Regardless, people have seen how ridiculously well Blood Rage and Rising Sun go for on the secondary market due to just the sheer amount of value you get at the initial KS release. So that just ends up being a ton of people who buy (and fake a retail store, or similar) at large scale, and then flood facebook groups/EBay/other sales groups to scalp to everyone that missed out on the initial KS.

Because of this, CMON also doubles down on the FOMO with promos, making it near impossible to get aside from their booths at cons, their own con, or at the initial KS release. With the rare promo from other boardgame review KS (like The Dice Tower) being the exception to the above, that's the only real way to get promos at a "reasonable" price. If CMON is doing the promos after the initial KS, you have to buy large amounts (at least in the low to mid 3 digit $ amount) to get "credits" that they can let you redeem towards promos.

The point of my rambling, is that CMON knows whats going on with FOMO and almost always double down on it, which is really quite scummy of a business plan. They don't really have any other way of staying afloat aside from KS and being publically traded (which will probably tank them pretty easily). If they found a way to sell their other services like how they're able to churn out so much detailed models per project at a fast pace, then they'd be able to stay afloat; I've not heard them doing anything like that though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

After the talk of CMON's business habits I took a look at Ankh which just launched and was a little surprised. You can only pledge $100, but that gets you everything, unless they add stuff later.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Dawgstar posted:

After the talk of CMON's business habits I took a look at Ankh which just launched and was a little surprised. You can only pledge $100, but that gets you everything, unless they add stuff later.

It didn't arrive with most of the shrieking fanfare of CMON KS releases, so that was a pleasant surprise... But the rulebook really doesn't do much for me. Setting aside all of my anti-CMON bias at this point, it's hard for me to look at Ankh and find a strong reason to back it on its own basis. The graphic design feels... enh (Rising Sun, despite all its flaws, looked fantastic by comparison), the miniatures don't feel inspired, and the mechanics feel weirdly clunky (although I like the notion of area control shifting as you create new regions. Less a fan of the merging the two last place players later in the game to form a team, but whatever.)

I don't know. I thought I'd be more tempted to back, but this feels like an easy pass. Especially with Kemet already doing this theme and this type of gameplay so well for me and anticipating Kemet 2.0 down the line.

Anyone seeing something I'm not?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

I want you to search the deepest recesses of your heart. What are the odds that CMON, of all companies, doesn't add any addons during a Kickstarter campaign?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Shinobigami is shipping.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

malkav11 posted:

I want you to search the deepest recesses of your heart. What are the odds that CMON, of all companies, doesn't add any addons during a Kickstarter campaign?

There will 100 percent be a "more gods" add-on.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

There's also the uncertainty of what the hell is going on inside CMON to worry about if you're looking at backing Ankh. Not exactly what I'd call a sure bet, despite CMON's track record of releases.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

malkav11 posted:

Sure, but don't they normally sprint right out of the starting gate with them? It feels that way with the others.

SilverMike posted:

There's also the uncertainty of what the hell is going on inside CMON to worry about if you're looking at backing Ankh. Not exactly what I'd call a sure bet, despite CMON's track record of releases.

According to one of their press releases they said that it's happened before and that it's fine, but now that just makes people think of the dog sitting in the fire.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Sure, but don't they normally sprint right out of the starting gate with them? It feels that way with the others.

According to one of their press releases they said that it's happened before and that it's fine, but now that just makes people think of the dog sitting in the fire.

With the Marvel game, they started with the base and one expansion so people would just go for the whole bundle. Then they added like 7 more expansions over the course of two weeks. Then they made a bundle tier for the whole thing.

It’s designed to make you just say “I might as well get the base and expansion” so that when they add more expansions and a new tier you’re like “well it’s only a little more than that tier” and then a couple more expansions and repeat.

There were probably 4 different “you get everything!” Tiers between the start of the Marvel campaign and the end.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I scanned the Ankh Kickstarter and a few of the comments and it seems like nobody seems to be bringing up CMON's recent issues? It's not even mentioned in the "Risks" section. Just a lot of people stricken with FOMO.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

GrandpaPants posted:

I scanned the Ankh Kickstarter and a few of the comments and it seems like nobody seems to be bringing up CMON's recent issues? It's not even mentioned in the "Risks" section. Just a lot of people stricken with FOMO.

If I weren't on this forum, I'd have no idea those issues existed.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Preview for the Nemesis stand alone expansion.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

Memnaelar posted:

It didn't arrive with most of the shrieking fanfare of CMON KS releases, so that was a pleasant surprise... But the rulebook really doesn't do much for me. Setting aside all of my anti-CMON bias at this point, it's hard for me to look at Ankh and find a strong reason to back it on its own basis. The graphic design feels... enh (Rising Sun, despite all its flaws, looked fantastic by comparison), the miniatures don't feel inspired, and the mechanics feel weirdly clunky (although I like the notion of area control shifting as you create new regions. Less a fan of the merging the two last place players later in the game to form a team, but whatever.)

Unless it changed, you don't merge the last two players, but the first and last player and you play from the last player's position. When Lang pitched it to me it was one of the most interesting parts of the game to me.

I'm a fan of this because Lang was very much "This game has player elimination in it. Some people won't like that and I'm okay with that" when he showed it to me. I wish more people who design games felt that way rather than "I must make every playtester like this game and remove all the feel bad moments until the game has no stakes" that seems to be pretty popular lately.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?

Spookyelectric posted:

Tiny Taverns is a roleplaying game about slice-of-life melodrama in a fantasy tavern. Players create proprietors of a tavern (or hotel, or pub, or resort, or anything hospitality-related) which they invent together. Each game focuses on their evolving relationships, dealing with guests (some who may be adventurers), doing chores, defending the tavern from monsters and other threats, and trying to figure out if this really is all you want out of life.

The Tiny Taverns Kickstarter is live! Let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer them. Thank you goons!

Edit: And we've funded! Wow, that feels good.

Spookyelectric fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 15, 2020

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Backed! Congrats buddy.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Spookyelectric posted:

The Tiny Taverns Kickstarter is live! Let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer them. Thank you goons!

Grats man!

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Spookyelectric posted:

Looks great. Backed and good luck!

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Looks great Spooky, backed.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Anyone taken a look at "For Science!"? I was originally skeptical, but it being designed by the people who made Spirit Island made me curious. It kind feels like if you took the theme and unique player powers of Pandemic and mixed it with the tension-filled dexterity puzzling of Meeple Circus (with some Carcassonne mix&match thrown in).

*definitely real edit* here's the right thread

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Spookyelectric posted:

I would like stretch goals. I know you said you aren't, but I like them anyway.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Ooh. There's a sequel to Nemesis coming to Kickstarter. On the astronomically small chance there's a "no minis" level I'll be in on that

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Mojo Jojo posted:

Ooh. There's a sequel to Nemesis coming to Kickstarter. On the astronomically small chance there's a "no minis" level I'll be in on that

(10 posts above) I like how they’ve had to preemptively say this KS is just for the expansion, and won’t cover the original.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

(10 posts above) I like how they’ve had to preemptively say this KS is just for the expansion, and won’t cover the original.

I heard it was a standalone expansion anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jedit posted:

I heard it was a standalone expansion anyway?

Indeed, no base game required.