Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
the solution is clear. the partiers will not stop if you approach them. you cannot call the cops because they may overreact.

go full beserker mode. rip and tear the party, until it is done :bsdsnype:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

the answer to many of life's toughest dilemmas is general japery and impish menace.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Jesus christ. Me asking them to stop their party would have been met with being ignored at best, told to gently caress off at worst

WHY AM I DEFENDING THIS? FFS.

Hm my neighbors are not following best medical practices, better send an armed man to confront them. I’d do it myself but someone might be mean to me

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Maybe I should have tried. But I didn't. Maybe next time I will if that's what I need to take away from this.
Its possible I've reacted from the lens I look through when cops are called on parties I've attended, they show up, tell us to turn it down, and leave.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 18, 2020

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Who here would have walked over to them, risking yourself to exposure to the virus, to tell people not to have a party that clearly they know they shouldn't be having? Honestly? I wouldn't, waste of time and risky.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I've knocked on the door of a loud party before and one of the biggest guys I've ever seen said he'd gently caress me up, while the host held him back and suggested I call the cops. Never knocking on a party door again to respectfully ask them to please turn it down. Doesn't work. Tried it once and it was spectacularly bad.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/tom_hogue_sr/status/1251222397597782021

my toilet paper :qq:

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

droll posted:

Who here would have walked over to them, risking yourself to exposure to the virus, to tell people not to have a party that clearly they know they shouldn't be having? Honestly? I wouldn't, waste of time and risky.

If I knew them I probably would say something, but if they're someone I haven't actually interacted with before I can pretty much guarantee what the response to me coming up and saying "um excuse me but have you heard of COVID-19???" would be.

Personally I probably ignore it; they want to be dumb as poo poo and get sick that's their business, just stay the gently caress out of my yard, I guess.

redreader posted:

I've knocked on the door of a loud party before and one of the biggest guys I've ever seen said he'd gently caress me up, while the host held him back and suggested I call the cops. Never knocking on a party door again to respectfully ask them to please turn it down. Doesn't work. Tried it once and it was spectacularly bad.

Oh and then there's this. I've politely asked people to turn their music down and poo poo, no attitude or anything, and you'd think I'd just asked to gently caress their mother or something. People pop off over the stupidest poo poo.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
LA had a $500 bounty for violations so I'd be counting my MayorBucks as the po-po rolled up with the CoronaCRASH unit.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

bawfuls posted:

lol remember when we had a single payer bill killed in committee despite Dem supermajorities in both houses of the state legislature? Good times.

Reninder that at the time, the Chairman of the CDP, Eric Bauman, had strong ties with the Pharma industry.

He also resigned due to Sexual harassment allegations. Because of course.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
One downside with confronting your neighbor over something like that is that maybe you won't call the cops, but if the people tell you to gently caress off and someone ELSE calls the cops on them later? Guess who the neighbor is going to take it out on. The person who knocked on their door earlier.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

This is a very big deal, and will have devastating effects on the availability of groceries throughout northern California.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Maybe I should have tried. But I didn't. Maybe next time I will if that's what I need to take away from this.
Its possible I've reacted from the lens I look through when cops are called on parties I've attended, they show up, tell us to turn it down, and leave.

It's understandable to feel that way. I just... the more I've learned about law enforcement and how the system works has made me much more cautious about wanting to expose anyone to police scrutiny.

Granted, I live out in the country, so neighbors aren't as much of an issue (and when they are I can just talk with them about it. Only one neighbor I can think of that we had a feud with and he's gone... the cheating ratbastard), so obviously I can't directly relate to your issues with neighbors in town, other than I previously lived in town in my youth.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Apr 18, 2020

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I get the extenuating circumstances, and there's nothing you can do about it now. Be glad nothing bad happened. But just try and remember this is California, you live not far from a city with some of the most violent and brutal cops in the country, and as a society we need to be skeptical and wary of the police. Minorities have been sharing their experiences with getting the cops called on them for ever, there's a whole plot thread in Dear White People about it, etc. Did you think people calling the cops on your party for being too loud was cool and good? Probably not. Even if it's a party full of privileged white people you never know when that rear end in a top hat cop with a psychopath streak is gonna show up.

droll posted:

I would probably have just made fun of them on the Internet and not done anything because it's not my problem, but if I really felt the duty to break them up I hope I would have come down with mask and gloves and been polite about it before even considering calling the police, yes.

redreader posted:

If a dude's threatening you then it's pretty justifiable to call the cops :shrug: I've had neighbors knock on my door and politely inform me I'm doing something that's bothering them, not a big deal. OP said they were right out in the open so could presumably gauge if they were normal people or roided-out freaks.

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Apr 18, 2020

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Shoulda went to the party op

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Kenning posted:

This is a very big deal, and will have devastating effects on the availability of groceries throughout northern California.

I was wondering about this. Seems like this hub serves pretty much all of NorCal, so I can probably kiss my fresh produce goodbye for a while.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Rainbow Knight posted:

the answer to many of life's toughest dilemmas is general japery and impish menace.

Correct. You probably can't get these people to act decent, but if you shut this poo poo down with a supersoaker full of piss then maybe the essential workers on your block can get another hour of sleep.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Tacier posted:

I was wondering about this. Seems like this hub serves pretty much all of NorCal, so I can probably kiss my fresh produce goodbye for a while.

You can see it if you ever go over Altamont and then down 5 toward LA. It's massive. They have a couple of their own wind turbines, and the parking lots are unbelievable. This is the supply chain disruption I thought was going to happen in March, because 51 people testing positive in a 1700 person warehouse means that there's a lot more virus going around than just in 51 people. Either they shut it down to be safe (there's no groceries) or they don't and suffer a major outbreak (no more groceries) or the Teamsters decide "We're not going to send our union members to your loving plague ship to pick up loads" (no more groceries).

This isn't the only grocery supply chain in NorCal -- there's Costco, and the independent distribution networks, and maybe another one (whatever the Food Maxx parent is?) -- but you can't just lop off Safeway and not expect huge systemic consequences.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Oh dang I just remembered that I work at a grocery store and assholes like op's neighbors are probably going to get me killed lol

Next time call a loving assassin :v:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

droll posted:

(probably should have just ignored them and let them all kill each other, unless you think you were somehow at increased risk of exposure?)

Except they will infect others, not just themselves. They will go to a gas station, supermarket, their relatives, etc etc.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Gavin really looks like someone giving Data a Human Makeover, huh?

Guess they learned a lot from that failed Zuckbot venture.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
He's Patrick Bateman wearing human skin.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I still love that DJT Jr. married his like ex girlfriend or something. They're all crazy money golems imo but at least gavbot by design or chance sometimes does a good thing

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Kenning posted:

This impacts Luckys supermarkets too, right?

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Ragnar34 posted:

Correct. You probably can't get these people to act decent, but if you shut this poo poo down with a supersoaker full of piss then maybe the essential workers on your block can get another hour of sleep.

I'm not going to forgive your transgressions upon me apartment 69

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Jesus christ. Me asking them to stop their party would have been met with being ignored at best, told to gently caress off at worst.
They were visibly in their front yard and garage, cars were trickling in and double parking, like it was loving ballsy how they didn't care. No masks (no gatherings of any size and must wear a mask in Riverside). They were not taking this public health emergency seriously, maybe if some cops (im not a fan either, but gently caress) showed up they would think about doing it again, maybe their guests would have thought about it too.

You know what happend? The cops showed up, spoke to them for like 1 min, they left, then most of the guests left.

In the "before time" I never loving called the cops for any party even if its 4am in the morning. I don't give a gently caress, have fun. But this is different right now.

WHY AM I DEFENDING THIS? FFS.

Calling the cops is perfectly understandable.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

droll posted:

This impacts Luckys supermarkets too, right?

Safeway is Safeway and Pak 'n' Save. Lucky and FoodMaxx are all Save Mart brands. We'll see how resilient our food supply is I guess.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Kenning posted:

You can see it if you ever go over Altamont and then down 5 toward LA.

Go down 5 whats? You northerners tell me to take 5 all the time. Take 5 WHATS? I'm so confused.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Go down 5 whats? You northerners tell me to take 5 all the time. Take 5 WHATS? I'm so confused.
It is a categorical imperative.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

It is the sacrifice that all must make to visit the city of dreams. All who go must take the five, and when you, too, visit you will know when the time comes.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

5 is the name of the highway. If you lived on 5th street you would say "take 5th" or take "5th street" not, "take the 5th" unless you were being arrested

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Who’s on fifth?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Take five and call me in the morning.

I don't understand California highway lingo either.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Take a break, man. Get some coffee.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

5 is the name of the highway. If you lived on 5th street you would say "take 5th" or take "5th street" not, "take the 5th" unless you were being arrested

Counterpoint: There are many 5th Streets but only one I-5, the I-5.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

As someone who was born in San Diego, raised in the Valley, and went to college in the Bay, I use or omit the definite article perfectly at random. I have transcended regionalism to personally embody the spirit of California juche and the science of dialectical Gavinism.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Kenning posted:

As someone who was born in San Diego, raised in the Valley, and went to college in the Bay, I use or omit the definite article perfectly at random. I have transcended regionalism to personally embody the spirit of California juche and the science of dialectical Gavinism.

California Juche is so gay.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kenning posted:

Having spent 10 years in SoCal and then another 10 in the Bay Area, I find that the definite article phases in and out depending on which freeway I started using when. It's still "The 5" and "The 101", but stuff up here I refer to as just "87", "280", etc. Granted I also have something of an overly sympathetic dialect.

I will never be caught dead saying "hella" though, I have one moral line I refuse to cross. :colbert:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sydin posted:

Having spent 10 years in SoCal and then another 10 in the Bay Area, I find that the definite article phases in and out depending on which freeway I started using when. It's still "The 5" and "The 101", but stuff up here I refer to as just "87", "280", etc. Granted I also have something of an overly sympathetic dialect.

I will never be caught dead saying "hella" though, I have one moral line I refuse to cross. :colbert:

That's hella dumb, be proud of your home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

DeadlyMuffin posted:

:thejoke: