Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Shageletic posted:

They would throw you in prison.

Typhoid Mary ended up living the rest of her life on an island iirc

Mary Mallon infected wealthy families, so who's to say it's a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

Epic High Five posted:

People used to get sealed into their own homes by their community lol

i believe it

i seriously considered slashing tires when the sick neighbors travel habits were damaging my calm

the deep & abiding powerful anger of one watching a lovely driver cause an accident

boomers love to get out of the house

but all i care about is getting across the border w/out pending charges so sorry if you were in w seattle walmart last week i was selfish

Zyme
Aug 15, 2000

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah I'm just saying what if they broke out, did they just get shot

First they would throw them in a lake. If they were able to keep their head above water, that would prove they were an asymptomatic super spreader and they would be shot and killed to limit the spread. If they drowned, it would prove they were too sick to swim. Either way problem solved.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

SKULL.GIF posted:

Mary Mallon infected wealthy families, so who's to say it's a bad thing.

The wealthy spread disease to normal people like crazy traveling everywhere and partying when this was first going on, I'm sure it was no different then.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah I'm just saying what if they broke out, did they just get shot

I mean, they tended to get lynched, yes

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

Epic High Five posted:

People used to get sealed into their own homes by their community lol

an libertarian idiot in a local facebook group commented about how contact tracing is "unconstitutional" somehow and it got me wondering, there's gotta be some relevant supreme court case law from various outbreaks in the 19th and early 20th centuries

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
otoh, pigeon point outbreak is going strong

nice to be a part of something bigger than myself

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

madicaid fraid is a major felony lmao

Tell that to Senator Scott.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Before this a surefire way to see a bunch of meltdowns in progress was to look for areas with measles or whooping cough outbreaks and find antivaxx parents in those areas. Once actual reality hits home people cut them the gently caress out of their lives all at once and it makes them FURIOUS lol

Something like 80% of people are still in favor of quarantine measures even though they hate quarantine, the other 20% are billionaires and economists. It's gonna be years before things are "normal" again socially, at the very least I hope this makes mask wearing more common here

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

looks like alex jone's rally in texas is the biggest of these yet, can't wait till he gets covid. just saw people on stream shaking hands to own the libs

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/1251566163332481024

https://twitter.com/mannyNYT/status/1251564861257113602

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

turd in my singlet posted:

an libertarian idiot in a local facebook group commented about how contact tracing is "unconstitutional" somehow and it got me wondering, there's gotta be some relevant supreme court case law from various outbreaks in the 19th and early 20th centuries

Not only that but everyone gives all their daily travel habits to cell phone providers, Google , and apple, there's no constitutional issue at all

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

etalian posted:

The 100% testing they did had on the carrier had some pretty interesting results.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...e-idUSKCN21Y2GB

it should be noted that the crew of an aircraft carrier isn't an accurate representation of the general population
and also we have no idea if the asymptomatic cases went on to become symptomatic

jamoncorona
Apr 9, 2014

Aren't these basically the sectors from the hunger games? Lmao

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Why bother engineering a bioweapon when nature just hands those fuckers out on a lark. Or a bat, as is likely in this case.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

These "reopen the economy" protests are going to be CHUD catnip because they're not going to be swarmed by counter-protests for a change and that's gonna tickle them right in the cockles.

https://twitter.com/BadlandsZine/status/1251286218031034368?s=19

Coronavirus will tickle them in their cockles, too :gritin:

mystes posted:

You can only invoke stand your ground if you're a white, male, conservative chud, though.

:wrong:

Anyone can invoke it. Now, having it work as an affirmative defense, that's what you're thinking of, and yes, it's usually relegated to white male conservatives, though even POC might luck out if the person they end up shooting is incredibly skeevy or a more POC than the shooter(See Zimmerman v. Martin)

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

etalian posted:

The 100% testing they did had on the carrier had some pretty interesting results.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...e-idUSKCN21Y2GB

50% being asymptomatic carriers is probably the worst case scenario. If 95% were then we'd be massively overestimating the lethality. 50% means it's still probably 1-1.5% lethal (as was measured in Korea) and it's basically unstoppable. Also this is a whole sample made up of young military age people.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i really understand none of that other than the study was seriously flawed.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

turd in my singlet posted:

From an interesting summary that mentions the uber rear end in a top hat Andrew Speaker, a wealthy lawyer who was diagnosed with drug resistant TB and fled from two countries so that he wouldn't be isolated, largely without consequence for himself

quote:

For example, when bubonic plague struck San Francisco in 1900, the board of health imposed a quarantine drawn to include the homes of Chinese Americans but exclude the homes and businesses of white residents. A federal court found the quarantine unconstitutional. Although blatantly discriminatory measures may be unlikely today, studies of New York City's use of isolation orders for tuberculosis in the 1990s show that more than 90% of the people detained were nonwhite and more than 60% were homeless.2

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp078133

Enforced isolation orders have traditionally been used against the poor and marginalized, while those with wealth tend to skate by.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/1251570308932186117

jamoncorona
Apr 9, 2014

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

this seems like a dangerous turn, letting these people feel empowered

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

I mean, they tended to get lynched, yes

this seems like a lot more rosy than I've read so far.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Centrist Committee posted:

Dangerous for them probably.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Centrist Committee posted:

Yeah do we need to be like uh, getting out at these things or what

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

shovelbum posted:

no. just wait a couple weeks.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

empty whippet box posted:

kinda wanna start a pool on who will be the next Italy/NYC. Will it be miami? Houston? Austin? Dallas?

My money's on miami, they have the highest population density and a shitload of olds

lol

outside America, I’m betting on Mexico City

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

With any luck the virus will scythe through this group but they'll probably all live to be 100 running on contrarian bullshit and spite.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Former coworker, she works in alcohol sales, she is still working lol

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I am not owned

I am not owned

.I am not owned.

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.

The best part of this, china said people treated with that drug, died horrible, horrible deaths, guaranteed when they got infected again. As this treatment does not give immunity.

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

seattle plague rat posted:

east coast adult swim joe pera marathon is a pro choice in these troubled times

Pro recommendation. I've missed s02e06 & s02e10 (hint hint) - looking forward to catching up. TIA.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

shovelbum posted:

uhh, the opposite

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

Mistle posted:

Why bother engineering a bioweapon when nature just hands those fuckers out on a lark. Or a bat, as is likely in this case.

tasty

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Bullfrog posted:

no. just wait a couple weeks.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Chinatown posted:

I am not owned

I am not owned

.I am not owned.

I yell as I cough into my sleeve.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Just because it's hellworld doesn't mean that statistics and exponential growth on a mass scale stop applying

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

These "reopen the economy" protests are going to be CHUD catnip because they're not going to be swarmed by counter-protests for a change and that's gonna tickle them right in the cockles.

https://twitter.com/BadlandsZine/status/1251286218031034368?s=19

w

h

?????????????????????????????????????????????????

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

lol at people who thought this would be a moment of unity against a global threat and a chance to rethink how our modern society works

just. lol.

nice preview for when the aliens invade - it’s gonna be this, a bunch of politicians betraying each other and the world to save their asses, not Independence Day starring Will Smiths

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Former coworker, she works in alcohol sales, she is still working lol

Astroturfed honkey bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zyme
Aug 15, 2000

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

lol at people who thought this would be a moment of unity against a global threat and a chance to rethink how our modern society works

just. lol.

nice preview for when the aliens invade - it’s gonna be this, a bunch of politicians betraying each other and the world to save their asses, not Independence Day starring Will Smiths

Also a nice little taste of what the next 30 years are going to look like politically as climate change destroys human civilization