Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

https://twitter.com/sannewman/status/1251646491283935232?s=21

so basically you don’t want to get on the ventilator anyway? probably better to go before that ?

https://twitter.com/JaseBennie/status/1251818152029089792?s=20

this is what liberalism does to people. politics is all spectacle to them. it doesnt affect them materially, so while they say they care about the homeless, the jobless, and those who cant afford the necessities of life, all they do is pretend these problems dont actually exist bc it doesnt affect them personally or their material circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

lol Israel

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

lol I've left the house a handful of times for no more than 10 minutes at time since the shelter in place order was issued in the Bay area. considering going for a drive around town but with my luck I'll get owned by another driver and end up in the ER lmao hell yeah

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

a.lo posted:

old people love skate parks

Gen X, the inventors of the skateboard, are now old, so yes

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

MadJackal posted:

What's your hospital's criteria to get tubed? When I left a week ago it was 1) proned 2) desatting <90% 3) tachypneic >30s and 4) <80 years old.

Also we started Solu-medrol 1.5mg/kg when they got on NRBs. It makes sense though, right? The autoimmune complications just make the slow tide of ARDS worse, so why wasn't that a recommendation early?

Yeah we started using steroids too, it was initially thought to be a major no no but now it’s regaining favor and it does make sense. I don’t know where the initial recommendations to avoid steroids and Bipap came from, maybe Italy but it seems to have been wrong.

We’ve gone back to at least trying the Bipap as long as we can get a good mask seal, we have a closed system with a filter so aresolization is less of an issue. I don’t have an age limitation, I’ll tube a 100 year old if they want it but my area of practice is the ER not the floor so we realize we’re working with an incomplete history and tend to be more about stabilizing at any cost and letting the rest get worked out later. We definitely do proning and look to desatting while on maximal oxygen therapy as intubation criteria. If there’s time we also use ABG data and tachypnea. I usually escalate max o2 > Bipap if still able to participate in Bipap > tube.

Nodelphi has issued a correction as of 21:53 on Apr 19, 2020

twoday
May 4, 2005

Marshal Law did nothing wrong

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/philipoltermann/status/1251791927894323203?s=20

:thunk:

very confusing

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/QanonAnonymous/status/1251940243437043712?s=20

Ya know, if there was one message I could send out to the other parts of the US (the idea of the United States seems a bit fuzzy to me, does it to you?) is by all means, keep congregating together and don't wear any masks. We've already adapted to protect ourselves. Subsequently, you'll die alone on a nonrebreather.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

Ham Wrangler

mastershakeman posted:

Is the 20% false negative what the news stories are saying was just due to the tests being done incorrectly? Or is that something else? I hadn't seen that mentioned before

It’s hard to say but if you look at Abbott’s manual for the machine it says to do a nasopharyngeal sample but then the instructions sent to nursing we’re for an anterior nasal sample which is gentler. It’s led to inconsistent test collection methods across the system and guidance on the proper method is lacking.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

people love seeing people work! maybe it will finally wake people up that they deserve wages that reflect that and benefits to boot!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Waiting to see where the pandemic hasn't gotten a foothold yet and deciding those are the places that can reopen (and therefore become as plague-blasted as New York) is a strategy almost designed to undo anything accomplished up to now.

I thought cracking 30k dead was going to cause more of a stir, but it seems like the actual death toll is still pretty invisible to people. Probably a combination of everyone being isolated, the deaths mostly happening in private or within hospitals, and the victims mostly being older people who are already socially detached from anyone other than their families and other old people.

Guess we'll have to check back in after another order of magnitude and see if that manages to shape public opinion at all. My guess is it'd start having an impact between 300k and a million, so maybe not until later this year.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Nodelphi posted:

Yeah we started using steroids too, it was initially thought to be a major no no but now it’s regaining favor and it does make sense. I don’t know where the initial recommendations to avoid steroids and Bipap came from, maybe Italy but it seems to have been wrong.

We’ve gone back to at least trying the Bipap as long as we can get a good mask seal, we have a closed system with a filter so aresolization is less of an issue. I don’t have an age limitation, I’ll tube a 100 year old if they want it but my area of practice is the ER not the floor so we realize we’re working with an incomplete history and tend to be more about stabilizing at any cost and letting the rest get worked out later. We definitely do probing and look to departing while on maximal oxygen therapy as intubation criteria. If there’s time we also use ABG data and tachypnea. I usually escalate max o2 > Bipap if still able to participate in Bipap > tube.

You're working the worst parts of this thing and I appreciate it. If you even know what I wrote about the ED in the past, then I'm sorry.

gently caress worrying about blowing out alveoli, just get their sats up enough to transfer to the floors or the ICU. We'll take it from there.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

oxsnard posted:

After reading about it I'd rather put a bullet in my brain than have to go under a ventilator

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Wow and I thought I hated people a lot already. This is a whole new level of hatred for those literal loving idiots protesting.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

bblblbllbbluhhh I want a haircutttttt :qq:

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
A full third of the US population should be forced to take Abilify or some other antipsychotic.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

want a haircut? JOIN THE ARMY

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Dolash posted:

Waiting to see where the pandemic hasn't gotten a foothold yet and deciding those are the places that can reopen (and therefore become as plague-blasted as New York) is a strategy almost designed to undo anything accomplished up to now.

Buffalo News published a story this morning saying the model for Western New York compared to NYC shows that WNY's peak won't be until June

Chuds are not handling this news well

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

Ham Wrangler

MadJackal posted:

You're working the worst parts of this thing and I appreciate it. If you even know what I wrote about the ED in the past, then I'm sorry.

gently caress worrying about blowing out alveoli, just get their sats up enough to transfer to the floors or the ICU. We'll take it from there.

Well we’re not that cavalier, like I said we try to avoid barotrauma if at all possible but every nursing home drops off people on the very edge of death with no paperwork and we often only have seconds to make a decision so we try our best to get it right more often than not.

But there are inconsiderate and ill informed docs everywhere and the ER is no exception.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Lol someone just got pepper sprayed by security trying to enter a grocery store without a mask.

I fully expect a news report soon.

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

Telsa Cola posted:

Lol someone just got pepper sprayed by security trying to enter a grocery store without a mask.

Hippity hoppity wear a mask on my property

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Telsa Cola posted:

was it an old person?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

what did Pompeo do that chuds are turning on him?

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

I'd probably unironically buy that, but :airquote: ethical consumerism :airquote: says I have to wait until after the end quaran-times so that I don't buy it through the Bezos worker murder machine

Inceltown posted:

Not sure about states but I've heard you can microwave a mom.
:boom:

SardonicTyrant posted:

Flared bases, people. You don't want to go to the doctor because you had something stuck in your butt.

But what if the doctor's cute and totally into that sort of thing?

snoo posted:

I want a pseudopenis :mad:

snoo posted:

bblblbllbbluhhh I want a haircutttttt :qq:

That trumpbux check communism cash is gonna run out real quick with all these damands

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

eric ciaramella posted:

what did Pompeo do that chuds are turning on him?

He made a black pact with the devil

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

a.lo posted:

want a haircut? JOIN THE ARMY

we're gonna shoot the gently caress out of this virus pewpew

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I'm gonna trim and dye my hair soon like I have for a decade, what fuckin dumbass can't do that themselves

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

love that there's a choice between:

* dnc strategy of do nothing but the minimal possible effort to support workers and literally nothing else except maybe more upper class relief
* gop strategy of formenting astroturf protests with fox to undermine the health recommendations of trump's own advisors so the oligarchs can order all workers back to work regardless of risk then let them suffer and die without healthcare because gently caress being mildly inconvenienced or having less money

love to have dems not realize that offering nothing over the gop's offer of "well go back to work and you'll maybe have some pittance of money and also lol its just the flu??" is very evil and dumb!! and we're on a course for more preventable tragedy in the hellscape that is america

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

TheWeepingHorse posted:

Hippity hoppity wear a mask on my property

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

Ham Wrangler
High point of my week so far: Being yelled at by a cardiologist who came down to the ER in a full PAPR about why are we letting “these people” in the ER (covid patients... many of whom are poc). I was standing there in my week old n95 mask.

So many people are just awful and out of touch.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

that's as many new york cops as have died from being shot since 1993 lol

in the course of looking these numbers up, i also realized how many nypd have died to objectively hilarious causes. one dude was beaten to death with his own nightstick after hassling a dude on the train and another one died after being beat up by a student as a school dance. another one somehow fell down a fire escape while chasing a suspect

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
I need to acquire items from Amazon and I even have a credit but I've got this mental block where I don't want to buy anything. I don't know where it's coming from

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
lmao America is absolutely TurboFucked

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Chinatown posted:

lmao America is absolutely TurboFucked

Brought to you by Intuit

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

that's as many new york cops as have died from being shot since 1993 lol

in the course of looking these numbers up, i also realized how many nypd have died to objectively hilarious causes. one dude was beaten to death with his own nightstick after hassling a dude on the train and another one died after being beat up by a student as a school dance. another one somehow fell down a fire escape while chasing a suspect

But will covid kill more NYC cops than traffic collisions

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

looks like we've crossed 40k deaths in the us

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

do not buy things from jeff bezos

go make moonshine and salad from the dandelions in your neighborhood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007