Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
I'm glad that our state politics discussion has been 10 pages about burritos and freeways instead of "our governor has lined us all up by income to be euthanized so he doesn't have to raise taxes"

e: cat tax

HolHorsejob fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Xlorp posted:

How has no one brought up the fugliness of highway intersections where # and name swap randomly. Take the Hollywood and Ventura interchange. Please. Describe it for a traveling visitor. You may use the numbers 101, 134, and 170. Make sure to call out which specific directions cannot be followed at this juncture. Do not use phrases such as non-euclidean, or wrong-way concurrence.

Sir this is a habit burger

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

I don't think I've ever dropped the ”the” from the freeway number.

The 405
The I-5
The 605

What gets dropped is the ”I” if there is more than one syllable.

Take 101 to 680. 680 to 580 to 5.

You don’t need an article at all. That it’s not necessary makes using “the” all the time the shibboleth. It serves no purpose but to indicate whether you’re from northern or Southern California.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Well, mostly if your from southern California ... vs the rest of the states. From what I've seen around the US, we're the only ones with this verbal tick.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Well, mostly if your from southern California ... vs the rest of the states. From what I've seen around the US, we're the only ones with this verbal tick.

At least we don't call soda 'Pop.'

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

HolHorsejob posted:

I'm glad that our state politics discussion has been 10 pages about burritos and freeways instead of "our governor has lined us all up by income to be euthanized so he doesn't have to raise taxes"

e: cat tax

Ehhh it's probably due to the fact there is this lack of cultural social cohesion. Like every city or neighborhood has a "gently caress you got mine" mentality that happens on a state level for the rest of the country (There should be a San Gabriel Valley leading body, not this bullshit every city for themselves). Combine that with this weird powerlessness that comes from feeling so far away from your elected officials. (how many of your family members know your congress person? There was a period for 6 months I didn't know because it changed on me. And the constant shifting of population since world war II (hi transplants, no we don't loving want your worthless pro-death-penalty opinions; you're just killing off locals to get their homes), that there has to be some sort of loving baseline conversation for us to build on: Food and Traffic.

mazzi Chart Czar fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 26, 2020

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

It's because of sigalerts and helicopters.

"Take 5 to 134 to 101" sounds fine.

"Heavy traffic on 101" sounds wrong.
"Heavy traffic on the 101" sounds right.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ron Jeremy posted:

Take 101 to 680. 680 to 580 to 5.

gently caress you, I'm not going to Kettleman City.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Alec Eiffel posted:

But there are so many things to see and do in Kettleman City! Like going to that one gas station. And then going to the other one.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

runoverbobby posted:

It's because of sigalerts and helicopters.

"Take 5 to 134 to 101" sounds fine.

"Heavy traffic on 101" sounds wrong.
"Heavy traffic on the 101" sounds right.

yeah honestly i think it came from the radio

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020
There was a car protest in DTLA today, calling for rents to be cancelled for the duration of the crisis: https://laist.com/latest/post/20200425/los-angeles-car-protest-renter-protections

Pomeroy fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 26, 2020

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
may day is gonna be loving lit this year

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
AOC is pushing to cancel rent.

quote:

In just eight days, Americans face the next deadline to pay rent.

It’s completely unreasonable to expect millions of people who’ve suddenly lost their jobs or had to stay home sick to pay rent on May 1st without payment moratoriums or stronger relief.

That’s why on April 27th, AOC and Housing Justice for All will join together for a live strategy conversation about canceling rent. There will be specific ways to take action on a local and national level.

To build critical momentum for a rent moratorium, we need as many people as possible to join in. Can you sign up for the call on Monday, April 27th at 6:00 p.m. Eastern (6:00 p.m. EDT in your area)?

https://act.ocasiocortez.com/go/3042

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

luminalflux posted:

Sir this is a habit burger

Yum Brands purchased The Habit in January.

We may get a Pizza Hut/Taco Bell/KFC/The Habit spot some day

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

FCKGW posted:

i can't wait to be able get a crunchwrap supreme, grilled chicken sando on sourdough, 12 pc bucket and breadsticks with a side of arterioscleriosis all from the same location

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Alec Eiffel posted:

FMguru posted:

But there are so many things to see and do in Kettleman City! Like going to that one gas station. And then going to the other one.

I like Bravo Farms there. because it’s a fenced off place for my kids to run around and burn off energy from having been in the car for hours. They have little old west themed houses they can explore.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

FCKGW posted:

We have In-N-Out anyway which is not only better but significantly cheaper than Habit.

And yes I am in fact bringing up burgerchat in the middle of freewaychat. We need to hit peak California somehow.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Prices at In n out can vary greatly by location, so depending on where you live it might not be that much cheaper than habit. My closest in n out here has their double double only a dollar less than habits double char.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

My closest in n out here has their double double only a dollar less than habits double char.
A current source of light-hearted amusement for myself is finding sentences or paragraphs that will baffle people two hundred years from now (or 50 years ago). I like this one.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I find Five Guys burgs okay but I'm pretty fond of the fancy soda fountain they have atm. Coke Lime is a big weakness of mine.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Habit burger isn’t about their burger, it’s about the chicken sando. The burger on sliced sourdough is good too

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Habit makes an unusually good caesar salad, especially with tri-tip. Mmmm.

The sandwiches are well above average, too.

We'll see how quickly the quality craters when they switch to Taco Bell's supply chain.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

xcheopis posted:

A current source of light-hearted amusement for myself is finding sentences or paragraphs that will baffle people two hundred years from now (or 50 years ago). I like this one.

It's unfortunate that the In-n-out app (Droid or iOS) is only about locations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
If we want to talk about Burgs I can safety say that In-n-out is way better than Shake Shack will ever be and anybody who says otherwise has never had a double double animal style.

Constantly LARPing
Aug 30, 2006

For some actual politics chat, has anyone here or anyone they know been trying to get unemployment? My partner went to look today to certify and it said that due to the high demand, they’re waving certifications from April to May 5th. You’ll still have to certify afterwards to prevent fraud I guess, but this seems like a huge deal that will make it way easier to ensure people get money. Kinda like what Canada was doing. But I haven’t seen any announcements or anything discussing this, which is a shame since it’s good policy.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

ratbert90 posted:

If we want to talk about Burgs I can safety say that In-n-out is way better than Shake Shack will ever be and anybody who says otherwise has never had a double double animal style.

I lived in Indiana for two years; after a few months I could understand why someone would prefer Five Guys to In N Out. It's a good burger.

I live in New York for three years; Shake Shack is repulsive.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Hot take whataburger is peak fast food burg.

Their green chili burg is art.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Five Guys is actually a good burger and their fries are quite good, it's just way too loving expensive to justify getting.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

e.pilot posted:

:burger: The Monterey Melt is the best fast food burger I have ever had and I miss it.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Constantly LARPing posted:

You’ll still have to certify afterwards to prevent fraud I guess,

My company shut down a few weeks before the shelter orders started so I got a head start on the UI claim process. They made me fill out the justification sheet (job search) the first few times but once the requirement was waived they have not asked nor required it. Just visit every two weeks and verify that I wasn’t sick or unwilling to work.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I like CPK. :unsmith:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

e.pilot posted:

It's actually braums but Whataburger is a close second place

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

FCKGW posted:

I hope they don't gently caress it up

Also, talk about buying high, lol

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Sydin posted:

Five Guys ... it's just way too loving expensive to justify getting.

I really don't know how they came up with their prices. It's solid fresh fast food but it doesn't have any unique amazing thing beyond that to justify charging the equivalent of fries with flakes of gold sprinkled on them.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
More like Five Guys Burger NO Fries!!!

tmm3k
Jul 19, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

More like Five Guys Burger NO Fries!!!

"*The Five Guys" - a maniac

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

On the other hand thats almsot a 10th of the entire US population so too bad for them.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/ColtonLochhead/status/1254803261678223365

Ok, we just need to carve out a chunk of Utah and Arizona and the entire West Coast water supply is secured

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Sydin posted:

Five Guys is actually a good burger and their fries are quite good, it's just way too loving expensive to justify getting.
Just walk out with a case full of the peanuts to make up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

Ok, we just need to carve out a chunk of Utah and Arizona and the entire West Coast water supply is secured

Utah will be tough, the siege will last for loving ever with as many supplies as they've got squirreled away.