Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Meat Shortage is my stage name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Lpzie posted:

lol if you aren't framing trumps letter and saluting it for 5 minutes every day likei i plan to do.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

this is just as horny as the klobuchar in a diaper comic, and should be prohibited

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

Vim Fuego posted:

lol

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vim Fuego posted:

you're gonna have to fight ben shapiro for it

*snaps a kebab skewer in half, tosses it onto the floor*

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

How much ellen exposure do you have in a day and why

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

FAUXTON posted:

you're gonna have to fight ben shapiro for it

*snaps a kebab skewer in half, tosses it onto the floor*

lol

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

united statesians are prisoners conditioned to love their cage... good thing money isn't real :madmax:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Mistle posted:

All aboard the liquidation train :toot:

this is the same company that bought staples for 7 billion dollars a couple years ago lol

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Lpzie posted:

lol if you aren't framing trumps letter and saluting it for 5 minutes every day likei i plan to do.

way to make the people who didn't get the letter feel like utter poo poo

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

The most significant change to our current world is dealing with old people. The human life span before world war II was: dead at birth, dead before 10, or dead around 55.

If you ever get the feeling the word is stagnate, it's because we have people living for an extra 25 years.

This is not true. In the past 100 years the life expectancy of a 65yo has increased about 5 years. Life expectancy of a 1yo has increased around 15 years. The 25 year increase is a lie conservatives tell so they don't have to pay tax dollars for elder care. All those old people are supposed to be dead, it's nature's way!

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

The most significant change to our current world is dealing with old people. The human life span before world war II was: dead at birth, dead before 10, or dead around 55.

If you ever get the feeling the word is stagnate, it's because we have people living for an extra 25 years.

Nah, rich old people have always lived forever and you had a better chance of reaching 70 or 80 than you'd think as a poor (as long as you made it to 12 first) because high child mortality skewed the numbers.

If you think the world is stagnant because there's too many olds then low birth rates are your problem. People aren't living much longer but we are having way, way fewer kids so olds make up like half the population.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

CODChimera posted:

oh poo poo we hit 60k US deaths before May even STARTED

so someone was really wrong with that one

The original estimate was 47k by May. Beat that by 14k (30%) so far.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

was that the mean? I’m curious what the max was.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Often Abbreviated posted:

Nah, rich old people have always lived forever and you had a better chance of reaching 70 or 80 than you'd think as a poor (as long as you made it to 12 first) because high child mortality skewed the numbers.

If you think the world is stagnant because there's too many olds then low birth rates are your problem. People aren't living much longer but we are having way, way fewer kids so olds make up like half the population.

the final generation of infinite growth humanity in the west

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

kater posted:

I think it was a bunch of estimates average together. Saw it on 538 IIRC and the number stuck out to me.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

big shocker they're setting everything on fire on their way out

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

The lower birth rate is helping against overpopulation though.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

kater posted:

60,000 - which is what we hit and then the roni magically stopped killing anyone ever again, open it up

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Griefor posted:

The lower birth rate is helping against overpopulation though.

I'm not saying to do it myself, I'm not onboard with the premise that olds are the problem. But anyone who is onboard with that should be aware that life expectancy isn't where all the olds are coming from. There's more of them than young folk because we stopped making young folk.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Paging twoday

https://twitter.com/ftdata/status/1255769222388514816

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/JimCarrey/status/1255584610701807616

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

The Guardian reported on this last week but it all read as very speculative and with a big dollop of 'correlation is not causation' thrown in.
Something to investigate though as who the gently caress knows what's going on with this virus.

The Alpha Centauri
Feb 15, 2019

These are also the most densely populated cities

So infection would be higher

As would pollution

As would the number of coffee shops

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

The Alpha Centauri posted:

These are also the most densely populated cities

So infection would be higher

As would pollution

As would the number of coffee shops

It's really annoying that correlation and causation are now one of those awful inseparable couples constantly engaged in PDA and calling each other "babe" every 3 seconds because journalism is dead.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Charlz Guybon posted:

it doesn't even matter because trumps just gonna go on about how it could've been millions if he didnt Act Fast

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

CODChimera posted:

it doesn't even matter

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

I'm not saying to do it myself, I'm not onboard with the premise that olds are the problem. But anyone who is onboard with that should be aware that life expectancy isn't where all the olds are coming from. There's more of them than young folk because we stopped making young folk.

Yeah, I agree. And I hope this large number of olds becomes the new normal as life expectancy stays high and birth rates stay low. We need new young people but we do not need more total people.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
life is really fuckin weird

about two years ago, my grandmother (who lived with my parents) suddenly started describing experiences that were clearly the result of some form of hallucination. everyone's immediate assumption was dementia, and while that likely contributed to some of it, we also found out a few months later that she had a small stroke that went undetected and impacted a part of her brain known to cause issues with visual / auditory hallucinations. it was pretty innocuous the vast majority of the time, but as her dementia worsened and the frequency of her episodes increased, my parents made the difficult decision to put her into a nursing home very close to where they live.

fast-forward to present, and the nursing home my grandmother is at has had about 40 total covid cases and 15ish deaths. we found out monday that my grandmother tested positive. things aren't going well so far, and the family is starting to resign themselves to the fact that she will likely pass in the next week or so.

however, because of my grandmother's condition as a result of the stroke and the progression of her dementia, she has no idea that we're in a global pandemic and that she is likely days away from dying. she's telling the nurses she always has allergies this time of the year and that she'll be better in a few days. she believes she's tired because she's been running all over town recently. monday she was out and about visiting her brothers and sisters (many of whom have been dead for years). tuesday she was in her cousins wedding and ate waaaaaaay too much food. yesterday she was out all afternoon at a baseball game where she ran into an old friend. my grandma is locked away, isolated and dying, and the only thing preventing her from being scared and alone is her hosed up brain and all the ghosts of her dead loved ones.

i don't know if this is a happy story or a sad one, but it's got me all hosed up the last few days.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

It's really annoying that correlation and causation are now one of those awful inseparable couples constantly engaged in PDA and calling each other "babe" every 3 seconds because journalism is dead.

science ought not be be taught as it’s amoral

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

whatis posted:

i don't know if this is a happy story or a sad one, but it's got me all hosed up the last few days.

Maybe it's a happy one. I had a dream the other night I guess about the concept of how happiness is an arbitrary chemical reaction, and in many ways a solved problem (drugs can reproduce it) and far less difficult to solve than humanity's other problems. In the dream, I was in a COVID ward, totally euphoric on drugs and just coming off a ventilator. The staff didn't seem to understand why everything was so zen but my drugged self knew it was. After waking up I felt a lot less afraid of death and a lot less concerned about my individual life compared to where society as a whole moves and what it learns. An individual's happiness can be trivially fixed with some drugs, or some fortuitous brain dysfunction, whereas collectively there's far more progress still to be made.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

whatis posted:

life is really fuckin weird

about two years ago, my grandmother (who lived with my parents) suddenly started describing experiences that were clearly the result of some form of hallucination. everyone's immediate assumption was dementia, and while that likely contributed to some of it, we also found out a few months later that she had a small stroke that went undetected and impacted a part of her brain known to cause issues with visual / auditory hallucinations. it was pretty innocuous the vast majority of the time, but as her dementia worsened and the frequency of her episodes increased, my parents made the difficult decision to put her into a nursing home very close to where they live.

fast-forward to present, and the nursing home my grandmother is at has had about 40 total covid cases and 15ish deaths. we found out monday that my grandmother tested positive. things aren't going well so far, and the family is starting to resign themselves to the fact that she will likely pass in the next week or so.

however, because of my grandmother's condition as a result of the stroke and the progression of her dementia, she has no idea that we're in a global pandemic and that she is likely days away from dying. she's telling the nurses she always has allergies this time of the year and that she'll be better in a few days. she believes she's tired because she's been running all over town recently. monday she was out and about visiting her brothers and sisters (many of whom have been dead for years). tuesday she was in her cousins wedding and ate waaaaaaay too much food. yesterday she was out all afternoon at a baseball game where she ran into an old friend. my grandma is locked away, isolated and dying, and the only thing preventing her from being scared and alone is her hosed up brain and all the ghosts of her dead loved ones.

For your grandma it's a happy story, she's living a good life in her head and she's spending her, possibly, last days happy.

:unsmith:

coke
Jul 12, 2009

oh man his twitter is great

https://twitter.com/JimCarrey/status/1227325847792685057

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1255799389240451074

More cruise ship drama.

Potential for the plague ships to become pirate ships now.
I really hope the crews trapped on there either mutiny or get repatriated home, what a lovely situation for them.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I didn't realize it was so many bodies!

https://mobile.twitter.com/cnni/status/1255786751651647488

kater
Nov 16, 2010

so there's been a million reported cases of coronaveerus in the us. testing is kinda hosed so thats obviously only a fraction of actual cases. lets say something crazy like only one in fifty people that catch it get tested. so fifty million cases. that's only around 15% of the country. there's still soooooooo many people left to get sick if we don't stamp it out.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

im not taking bill gates vaccine

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

De Blasio is a criminal

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

More particles for the virus to ride on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

What ... fluids