Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Omnicrom posted:

Also if we're talking about pokemon and density the other problem child is Wailord, which is 47 feet tall and weighs under 900 pounds. I think someone did the math and concluded it's lighter than air.

Well, it is the "Float Whale Pokemon". :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Truthkeeper posted:

There are actually bigass beam attacks, one of which I think Snorlax is capable of learning at some point.

Not til pretty late (unless TM) but this gen it was still a good choice, so

Seyser Koze posted:

People in the thread were strongly hinting that my new Cubone was carrying something of interest, but it looks like we're empty-handed.

Aw, unfortunate that this one doesn't, but cubones CAN come holding an item that makes them much stronger.

The Golux fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Apr 28, 2020

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

The Golux posted:

Not til pretty late (unless TM) but this gen it was still a good choice, so

It's from the game corner prizes. Which given how patient OP is with the slots, could probably go and get right now.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

MR. J posted:

It's from the game corner prizes. Which given how patient OP is with the slots, could probably go and get right now.

Oh yeah I know that, it just also learns it naturally but at a level above 50.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Sequence Braking

All right, first things first.

Edward Mass posted:

You're going to run into some spoooooooky Pokémon. Name them 2spooky4u.

:iit:

So, we finally got the Snorlax out of the way, we're done messing around in Lavender and Celadon, the way to Saffron is clear, and I have an entire city to explore. I have some new and fresh-faced Pokemon ready to go see what Saffron has to offer!

just kidding we're going this way

OUT OF THE WAY FATTY, I'VE GOT A TOXX TO FULFILL

I'm actually going this way because I remember seeing what was on the other side of this building and my curiosity was piqued. Cycling road, huh?

Looking forward to it!

HOW DO YOU DO FELLOW OUTLAWS

I had the bright idea of making a bunch of Ride to Hell jokes, and then realized there are no lines worth quoting in that game.

Almost immediately I realize my mistake.

Oh, boy, have I made a mistake. The assorted Koffings and Grimers are 10-15 levels up on my crew. Also they love dropping your accuracy or buffing their evasion, making things even worse.

By the end of the first fight half of my team is unconscious or poisoned. This bodes well.

i just wanted to be a one percenter :(

On my way back through the building I head upstairs and run into the resident nerd. I don't know what an Amulet Coin even is! Why do I want it?

:awesome: If the POKEMON appears in a winning battle, you will earn more money.

That does actually sound pretty good. I put it on Flounder for the time being.

Aren't you kids like, five?

Checking out the sights. Not much to see.

So, I get my guys healed up and throw myself at the next biker in line.

Koji Cue-Ball has fighting Pokemon. I open with Noodle's Glare to make things a little easier...

...But it still commences flattening us.

And in my wisdom I forgot all about last time, when we figured out what BigZZZam's weakness was.

The Machops and Mankey manage to finish Zam and Flounder off before Spooky manages to drag us over the finish line.

Wow, rude.

We're in biker territory now; it's ride or... die? I guess?

These bikers are better at the villainy schtick than Team Rocket, at least.

Big Zam body-slams his way through the next batch, barely.

:smug:

After my third trip back to the Pokecenter in as many fights, we meet our first new Pokemon of the day. Weezing's main feature seems to be smokescreening you until you can't hit anything, then slowly chipping you down. I'm lucky enough with the rolls that Zam takes it out quickly.

It's nice of him to provide sound effects for his own defeat.

I just wanted to hang around with you guys :(

Yay, somebody who wants to play!

More gasbags. This one keeps trying to poison me, but without any luck.

You were less fun than I thought you'd be.

FOR CHRIST'S SAKE I'M A LITTLE GIRL

And having your Pokemon do the punching doesn't count!

After taking out the first punchymon, Flounder gets a new skill.

Which she's gonna need, because, welp.

:smaug:

Oh, I beg to differ, baldy.

You know, I can relate.

:btroll: I'd use them to leave my enemies in tatters.

Never mind.

So, that biker convention turned out to be a bunch of jerks, but I pulled through in the end. Now that we're past them, we can finally enjoy the scenic cycling path!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOHGODOHGODICANTSTOPAAAAAAAAAAAAoh hi there

So as soon as you move onto the north-south path, you start zooming downhill at top speed. They weren't joking about the incline, I guess. Fortunately Virgil was here to break my fall.

Unfortunately I didn't heal up first! :laugh: Time for my first full-party wipe of the update!

Or... not? Spooky turns out to be pretty resilient against the Koffings and Weezings, and Nightshade does decent damage, too.

The last one takes me by surprise by spitting some sludge at me or something, but we still come out on top!

Spooky learns Confuse Ray, which seems like it could be all kinds of fun. Spite doesn't seem like it'll be that useful (how many fights last that long normally? Aside from these, because I didn't prepare at all?) so I toss it.

Bear howling!

Yeah, I love the total loss of control and imminent fear for your life--- what, are you crazy?

Just like going downhill automatically launches you south at top speed, going uphill moves you northward at a crawl. Kat's going to get a lot of exercise this update.

The right-hand path also has goons patrolling it. I'm not interested in this guy's bod, but we're fighting him anyway!

Oh crap. :gonk:

Spook, do the thing!

Spook puts up a valiant effort, helped along by the Machamp repeatedly punching himself in the dick, but eventually luck runs out.

Noodle's Bite isn't too effective, but at this point it doesn't need to be.

I'll pass, thanks!

There's a pond in the middle of the steep downhill path, which seems... unsafe? I guess they put up invisible fences around them or something, since Kat doesn't go flying into the water here.

There are bikers going around in circles on the slope as well, but they tend not to attack you unless you bump straight into them. This leads to some awkward pedaling around trying to make contact.

More evolved enemies. I've got the fighting type's number now, though.

Uhh. Maybe you don't want to learn this skill, Daigoro...

I take it back, this skill looks great. At least for now.

Actually you were Nightshaded out, but who's keeping score?

:btroll: There's good money in picking them up and selling them.

I'm not messing around with the item finder in this place, at least not now.

Oh, yuck. Ordinarily I'd just have Aznable set Grimers/Muks on fire, but that's not an option now, and Daigoro's way too low level to stand up to this guy.

Spook and Noodle team up to wear it down - until it slimes them both into submission, anyway.

But at that point, Daigoro just needs to land one hit to win!

And whatever comes my way!

The path splits in at least three partway down. Voltorbs are definitely a change of pace from the muscle/pollution 'Mons we've been fighting.

I'm not sure off the top of my head what they're weak against, so I just have Big Zam sit on them until they stop resisting.

We walked post the Power Plant on the map, but I didn't see any sign of an entrance.

Further down, you can bike straight into this guy and he won't even flinch. Now that's tough!

Oh, he's just lost in thought about his growth as a trainer.

The Machoke manages to squash Spooky with a Seismic Toss or something, but Flounder's ready to finish the job with her dragon breath.

I missed the screencap, but this guy comments afterward that some Pokemon need element stones to evolve. I guess a fighting type would need an earth stone? Or maybe fire?

It's easy to brag about being a rebel, but the game literally forces you to ride the bike here. A real rebel would go on foot.

Fungaaaaah!

I'm gonna mash the Select button until the game gives in and lets me dismount, drat it.

:frogbon:

The southern half of the road has a bunch of these signs. I was hoping for a BURMA SHAVE joke, but I was disappointed.

:eng101: Even POKEMON of the same species and level grow at different rates.

Now the game tells me. :doh:

If progress seems disjointed, that's because it is. You keep zooming past bikers and needing to go back, doubling back to look for things you missed, checking out the other branches, and - of course - biking all the way to the top of the hill every couple fights to heal up your underleveled team. We've got to be getting close to the end, though. Right?

Again. How much exercise are you getting when your Pokemon are doing all the fighting?

Not that I'm inviting Jamal here to fight Kat directly.

:nallears:

Like crap, to be honest.

The Muks are probably some of the more dangerous enemies on the route for me, being able to take out pretty much anyone with a couple Sludge attacks. Fights go like this: Noodle paralyzes -> Spooky confuses -> somebody else chips them down with whatever works.

No kidding.

You're bushed? I've been fighting you idiots all day!

And Billy here's got five Pokemon. This'll be ugly.

The gasbags use Smokescreen on Spook so many times that she misses with half her Nightshade attacks and runs out of usages, forcing Big Zam to step in. And then Big Zam has the same problem.

Partway through I have the bright idea of having him rest to recover his health, only for him to get crit to death in the next turn.

Somehow, Noodle is able to finish the job.

I just feel empty.

I had just the Pokemon for you, but then you knocked him out!

The sad wreckage of our team. One more time, I bike aaaaaalll the way back up the hill to heal, then back down.

Can it be?

A new route! Level terrain!

The ability to walk!

I, uh... I noticed.

:v: Wanna trade one for my LICKITUNG?

I don't have what this kid wants, so that's a no.

Home, sweet home, so far away. :smith:

Is there a beach episode in our future?

On the other side of the building we have a little patch of grass with these insanely aggressive trainers. The guy on the left rushes you from the corner of the enclosure as soon as you step forward.

He's a new trainer type, too!

Here's the evolved Spearow (I assume), looking sharp. Noodle's Bite is pretty effective.

Is owning a bike a status symbol in the Pokeverse? Does Kat strut around pretending she was actually rich enough to fork over a million P-Bills?

See what I mean about aggressive?

Noodle eats a Fury Strikes that puts him down, and Spooky's finally found something that Nightshade can't scratch. The disurbing Curse move ends up hurting Spook more than the bird, but Big Zam and Flounder can clean up the mess.

That's not really an excuse for attacking me...

Chirp chirp.

...I give up. My brain can't parse what I'm looking at. Flounder, breathe on it so I don't have to think about it anymore.

It's still a close thing.

I should probably try fishing again, but I have a feeling I'm just going to get more Magikarp.

Now completely exhausted, I walk a little farther and almost immediately stumble into Fuchsia. I'm not sure if I'm going to continue down here, since the game clearly wanted me to go somewhere else, but at the same time it seems like a waste to just leave.

Anyway, I went down the bike path in part because I thought it'd be quicker than exploring a city. My mistake!

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

The guy with the Machoke is just mistaken. Fighting types dont need stones to evolve. Machoke to Machamp is a trade evolution :ssh:

Also I think Spite is 100% useless because the game doesn't actually track enemy PP. It'd only be useful vs another real player.

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
No, in Gen 3 PP is tracked. Doesn't save Spite from being bad since all AI trainers have full PP at battle start.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

Seyser Koze posted:

...I give up. My brain can't parse what I'm looking at. Flounder, breathe on it so I don't have to think about it anymore.

It's just a perfectly normal three-headed ostrich. Barely worth mentioning compared to the weird poo poo you've seen so far.

Also, I realize that it looks that way to you, but you haven't broken sequence, the game fully intends for you to go to Fuchsia before Saffron. Many of us suffered for our hubris in thinking we could go to Saffron first.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Man this low level challenge is intense! Also, uh, do you not have Revives or any healing items or even... Fly?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

For the love of Arceus, please go check out that cuttable tree just before the north entrance of cycle road first.
Edit: Wait you already did that. So why don't you have Fly on your team?

Also I think that one biker that says "Kaboom" has a Weezing that has Selfdestruct as a move.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Saffron and Fuchsia are both valid next towns but yeah you can get your fast travel ability by now if you know where to look?

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
It would be wise to go back to the top of Cycling Road.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I like how the shifting team results in some fun challenge for the playthrough now that everything isn't just being fed to the overleveled Charizard.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

...How is Spooky getting hit by Seismic Toss? Ghost is supposed to be immune to Fighting, and Normal for that matter. Did No Guard exist at this point?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

serefin99 posted:

...How is Spooky getting hit by Seismic Toss? Ghost is supposed to be immune to Fighting, and Normal for that matter. Did No Guard exist at this point?

Yep. Abilities are in this game.

Edit: Wait, never mind. Looked it up and No Guard isn't added until gen 4.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 10:03 on May 1, 2020

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

serefin99 posted:

Seismic Toss used to skip type checks, though I could swear that was fixed by gen 3.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Gastly's also kind of hosed over by being Ghost/Poison. I'm assuming the Poison type makes it a valid target even if it's not supposed to be effective.

It's also why the Gastly line was theoretically supposed to be super powerful vs Psychic types, but in practice the Poison aspect also made them susceptible to Psychic moves. Well, that and Ghost honestly not having very many powerful offensive moves in the first place.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Machoke used Foresight, which lets it hit Ghost-type mons with Normal and Fighting moves. That's what that move does, although the game says something useless like "MACHOKE identified 2spooky4u!"

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I wondered what that was doing.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Speaking of abilities, what ability does Big Zzzam have? There are two options, and it might be helpful to know which it got.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Ghost was so bad in Gen I that it couldn't even hit Psychic. It was probably a mistake, but I'd guess they didn't notice in time to correct it because the only Ghost move that did variable damage in Gen I was the very weak Lick.

That was fixed by the remake, but they didn't change Gastly's typing, so it's still not very usable against Psychic types.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Omnicrom posted:

Speaking of abilities, what ability does Big Zzzam have? There are two options, and it might be helpful to know which it got.

Just checked, and it's Immunity. Which is nice, I guess.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Seyser Koze posted:

Just checked, and it's Immunity. Which is nice, I guess.

It is nice. The reason why I brought it up is because I thought it might have gotten Immunity since you mentioned that your Snorlax repeatedly dodged being poisoned.

Snorlax's other possible standard ability is appropriately "Thick Fat" which halves damage from fire and ice. Snorlax also has Gluttony a third ability, and by "has" I mean "Can be found with under certain very specific circumstances in a games starting some 4-to-6 years after the release of the one you're playing."

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I think Thick Fat is a bit nicer than Immunity, but Immunity isn't bad to have.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Shwoo posted:

Ghost was so bad in Gen I that it couldn't even hit Psychic. It was probably a mistake, but I'd guess they didn't notice in time to correct it because the only Ghost move that did variable damage in Gen I was the very weak Lick.

That was fixed by the remake, but they didn't change Gastly's typing, so it's still not very usable against Psychic types.

The big problem isn't even that, since Gastly line outspeeds the majority of them. The REAL issue is that Ghost still works off physical in Gen 3, making its bread and butter Shadow Ball useless off an, at best, 65 base attack.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

bladeworksmaster posted:

The big problem isn't even that, since Gastly line outspeeds the majority of them. The REAL issue is that Ghost still works off physical in Gen 3, making its bread and butter Shadow Ball useless off an, at best, 65 base attack.

This is one thing I will never forgive Game Freak for, is switching up Ghost and Dark type up to Gen 3. How do you make a type whose moves include attacking the opponent's shadow and shooting a ball of pure hatred run off the physical stats, and a type whose moves include biting, stabbing, and clawing the opponent run off the special stats?!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

serefin99 posted:

This is one thing I will never forgive Game Freak for, is switching up Ghost and Dark type up to Gen 3. How do you make a type whose moves include attacking the opponent's shadow and shooting a ball of pure hatred run off the physical stats, and a type whose moves include biting, stabbing, and clawing the opponent run off the special stats?!

Gen 1 ghost being physical made sense because it had confuse ray(no damage), night shade(fixed damage based on level) and lick.

No why it only had 3 moves or that the only ghost type leans super hard into special attacks...

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

serefin99 posted:

The only Ghost-type moves in Red and Blue are Confuse Ray (a status move), Night Shade (also basically a status move) and Lick. That explains why it's physical; it's just a holdover from more poorly-designed times. As for Dark...I've got nothing. Basically every Dark-type move from Gold and Silver seems to be physically-oriented now.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
They fixed it in Gen 4.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Epicmissingno posted:

The only Ghost-type moves in Red and Blue are Confuse Ray (a status move), Night Shade (also basically a status move) and Lick. That explains why it's physical; it's just a holdover from more poorly-designed times. As for Dark...I've got nothing. Basically every Dark-type move from Gold and Silver seems to be physically-oriented now.

My favorite bit about dark type getting introduced was they made biting something swap to the elemental attack stat from the physical one and made it worthless on so many dudes in the process.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Dragon-type was also pretty bad in Gen I, as I recall. Isn't the only actual Dragon move Dragon Rage? Which is just a flat 40 damage?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Dragon-type was also pretty bad in Gen I, as I recall. Isn't the only actual Dragon move Dragon Rage? Which is just a flat 40 damage?

Yeah, but that wasn't too bad in Gen I because you'd only need Dragon damage for the mirror match and Ice is a better choice in that situation.

Now, in Gen II? Then it was more of a problem. loving Kingdra. :argh:

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Gen2 added Twister and Outrage but a base 20 damage move wasn't going to save your bacon if you were having trouble with Clair and I think it would have been impossible to have access to Outrage to deal with her Kingdra.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Even past Clair, Kingdra was a fairly decent 'mon in competitive play. Not as good as the top tier stuff, but it could certainly hold it's own, and Outrage was limited enough that it was still a pain to deal with.

Really, Dragons (like a few types) were poo poo for decent attacking moves until Gen III.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

capitaldelendaest posted:

Gen2 added Twister and Outrage but a base 20 damage move wasn't going to save your bacon if you were having trouble with Clair and I think it would have been impossible to have access to Outrage to deal with her Kingdra.

I looked it up and yep, the Dratini line is the only thing that learns Outrage in Gen2 and you couldn't get them til after you were done with Clair. I also learned while looking this up that Gen2 introduced a third dragon type move, Dragon Breath. It's the TM Clair gives you later and her Kingdra knows it. Nothing in Gen2 learns it by level up so that's useless in the fight against her too.

That loving Kingdra.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Oh, yeah, totally forgot about Dragon Breath, which was actually probably your best option for an attacking dragon move in the campaign once you got it, wasn't it like 70 base damage and a chance to flinch?
Just looked it up, 60 base with a chance of paralysis, pretty good. Not a face rocker like Outrage but more reliable and doesn't lock you in and leave you confused.

Edit: That Kingdra was my nemesis as a child, bashing my Typhloshion into the brick wall of Kingdra is what finally got it through my head that sometimes it's better to use a weaker move that isn't at type disadvantage rather than keep trying to use Flamethrower on a mon with dual resistances to it lol.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 3, 2020

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

CuwiKhons posted:

I looked it up and yep, the Dratini line is the only thing that learns Outrage in Gen2 and you couldn't get them til after you were done with Clair. I also learned while looking this up that Gen2 introduced a third dragon type move, Dragon Breath. It's the TM Clair gives you later and her Kingdra knows it. Nothing in Gen2 learns it by level up so that's useless in the fight against her too.

That loving Kingdra.

You could technically get a Dratini with Outrage before facing Clair, but you'd have to raise it from level 10 to level 50, which would be incredibly tedious. I know because I've done it - at the time I was spending 2 hours commuting by bus, so I had a lot of spare time for Pokemon grinding.

Also, fun fact about TMs: In the first three generations, all of the TMs you get from gym leaders can't be learned by level up*. Firered doesn't follow this rule because it's a remake, so there's things like Staryu learning Bubblebeam naturally. Pikachu was the sole exception before this game, because it could learn Thunderbolt naturally in Yellow Version.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I remember getting a Rattata and putting Bubblebeam and Thunderbolt on it. Not the best use of those TMs.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I remember hacking in a "dream team" in Soul Silver from the beginning just to finally use some I never got to, including Kingdra. All his stats were dead even or just 1-2 off from the others the entire time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I remember hacking in a "dream team" in Soul Silver from the beginning just to finally use some I never got to, including Kingdra. All his stats were dead even or just 1-2 off from the others the entire time.

that's how kingdra be, all of its stats are the same base except for HP and Speed.