Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

A golf nap is the best nap one can take.

The announcers are trying to lull you to sleep.

I discovered that there are Youtube accounts of people getting hair cuts or shaved at barber shops and I am out in 1 minute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Professor Shark posted:

I discovered that there are Youtube accounts of people getting hair cuts or shaved at barber shops and I am out in 1 minute

I don't understand why anyone would post that on YouTube, so I'm forced to assume it's a sex thing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm a big fan of the big blocks of old commercials on YouTube

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm a big fan of the big blocks of old commercials on YouTube

The inverse of this, compilations of judge judy with all the commercials and intros removed on youtube, you can power watch 20 episodes in an hour, it's incredible.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
People like Judge Judy for being no bullshit 'tells it like it is' but watching episodes I feel like her judgements are pretty arbitrary and random.

It's like if you had to mediate all these dumb spats but you're massively hungover and can only muster like 1% of the effort to look objective.

:byodame: "He said he would cosign the car note when I did a refi on my 98 Dodge Neon and when they repossessed it he's yellin that I owes him 800 bucks and he still hasn't paid me child support and got the judge to lie about it and :words:"

Judge Judy: *Asks a few questions that don't have anything to do with the case, suddenly loses her temper and rules for the Defendant because the Plaintiff accidentally interrupted her *

:mad:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Panfilo posted:

People like Judge Judy for being no bullshit 'tells it like it is' but watching episodes I feel like her judgements are pretty arbitrary and random.

It's like if you had to mediate all these dumb spats but you're massively hungover and can only muster like 1% of the effort to look objective.

:byodame: "He said he would cosign the car note when I did a refi on my 98 Dodge Neon and when they repossessed it he's yellin that I owes him 800 bucks and he still hasn't paid me child support and got the judge to lie about it and :words:"

Judge Judy: *Asks a few questions that don't have anything to do with the case, suddenly loses her temper and rules for the Defendant because the Plaintiff accidentally interrupted her *

Here's the awesome reality behind the show. It's an arbitration agreement, but the defendant stands to lose nothing. The show will pay up to like 5k to the plaintiff if they prove their case...the defendant is there just to try and gently caress them over, which the production definitely encourages. So if you watch it knowing that if you have people in there with fake claims they're the one's really on trial and that's when the show gets hilarious as they see those dollars slipping from their grasp. It's more like a super mean gameshow.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LifeSunDeath posted:

Here's the awesome reality behind the show. It's an arbitration agreement, but the defendant stands to lose nothing. The show will pay up to like 5k to the plaintiff if they prove their case...the defendant is there just to try and gently caress them over, which the production definitely encourages. So if you watch it knowing that if you have people in there with fake claims they're the one's really on trial and that's when the show gets hilarious as they see those dollars slipping from their grasp. It's more like a super mean gameshow.

In addition to appearance fees that both sides get, the production allots $5,000 for each case. The plaintiff gets whatever they win in the case, and then what's left out of the $5,000 gets split 50-50. So if the TV judge rules that the defendant owes the plaintiff $1,000, then the plaintiff gets $3,000 and the defendant gets $2,000.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

learnincurve posted:

They had to introduce cricket matches that didn’t take 4 days because the under 70s asked for it and it’s become a massive success.

There is cricket matches on TV, and there is attending cricket matches. county cricket actively encourages you to bring a hamper of your own beer and sit outside in the sun all day while occasionally wandering over to whatever ice cream or burger vans are knocking about, the match is an afterthought.

See, I hated being dragged to sports, and only really ever in college did it work, because the local team was poo poo, you could get tickets for literally five dollars, and they had 'college nights' with like, dollar franks and $3 beers. And of course I pregamed myself blind in the parking lot.

Cut down the prices, let me bring my own booze and or food, or at least buy it cheap, I'll watch any dumb sport. I feel like this is how sports got started, just a nice day in a park with a distraction to look at occasionally and then it got Boomerified. Hell, the last three weeks since they opened the parks back up, I've spent Saturday afternoons watching fat joggers struggle and dogs poo poo, but I have my backpack full of wine beer chips and books, so bring it on.

Danaru posted:

I went out into the woods and my friends and I swung broken chunks of a ladder at each other, like normal kids

Oh my God, RONNIE? Is that you?

PostNouveau posted:

In addition to appearance fees that both sides get, the production allots $5,000 for each case. The plaintiff gets whatever they win in the case, and then what's left out of the $5,000 gets split 50-50. So if the TV judge rules that the defendant owes the plaintiff $1,000, then the plaintiff gets $3,000 and the defendant gets $2,000.

I had my bike run over by a gypsy cab once, and tried to sue the dudes in small claims court. One of those shows saw me in the docket and asked if I wanted to be on, I assumed it had to be shady as gently caress and said no. Man now I wish I had.

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 4, 2020

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

PipHelix posted:

I had my bike run over by a gypsy cab once, and tried to sue the dudes in small claims court. One of those shows saw me in the docket and asked if I wanted to be on, I assumed it had to be shady as gently caress and said no. Man now I wish I had.

What's your dignity worth?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
This is more diet chat the the last page but diets were easy back then because you could buy legal speed anywhere. Just go look at all the old Dexitrim and such commercials from the 70s and 80s on youtube.

I can recall buying yellow jackets or ephedrine pill packets for less than a dollar in the 90s. We used to take 3 or 4 before going out drinking because it would keep us from passing out. Sure my heart rate was 210bpm but I didn't care.

So you didn't have to restrict your diet really back then and also everyone smoked which also helps with weight loss. Yes you were likely to die by age 60 of a heart attack but everyone would remark about how good your corpse looked at the funeral.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

:10bux:, same as you, same as me

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Krispy Wafer posted:

(....) Maybe Marvel will release the Real Housewives of Asgard or something.

would watch

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Panfilo posted:

Judge Judy is a proud Trump supporter, so why you would expect anything except reality TV nonsense from her?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

learnincurve posted:

It’s really easy to tell who here didn’t fall asleep on a sunny Sunday afternoon to the sounds of a sport you didn’t really cars about as a child lol.

Being able to nap as a kid must have been rad. My mother hated the idea of people sleeping, and would wake anyone up if she was up. She chilled out on it a few years ago after she passed out in public from sleep deprivation. It turns out a woman she knew from church who was a "nurse" (actually just answered phones) told her that "Nobody actually needs sleep" and no attempts to convince her otherwise, even from a doctor, could change her mind.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

PostNouveau posted:

At the time I was in grad school. I sold literally everything, from knockoff chinese textbooks, to graduating/moving friends games and furniture on craiglist, to my actual cum. The very idea that I had dignity left to sell, or that I wouldn't have hustled it off for beer money in a second if I could have found a buyer.

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 4, 2020

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Plan Z posted:

Being able to nap as a kid must have been rad. My mother hated the idea of people sleeping, and would wake anyone up if she was up. She chilled out on it a few years ago after she passed out in public from sleep deprivation. It turns out a woman she knew from church who was a "nurse" (actually just answered phones) told her that "Nobody actually needs sleep" and no attempts to convince her otherwise, even from a doctor, could change her mind.

"A church friend once said and no amount of professional advice can change my mind," is Boomer AF.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Plan Z posted:

what the gently caress

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

mycomancy posted:

What we really need around these parts is a good strong fuckin' flu season.

Oct 2019.

When the scientists send people back in time, instead of infiltrating radical eco terrorist cells, they're just gonna have them log into SA.

e: ...and then we get their :10bux:! Oh my god, this is GENIUS!

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 4, 2020

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

bob dobbs is dead posted:

what the gently caress

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

shame on an IGA posted:

:10bux:, same as you, same as me

Judging by your av, it's cost you at least :20bux:

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Plan Z posted:

It's me, the person who is owning the children by annihilating their waking consciousness forever

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I used to tell these stories like "Aren't WASP Boomers just the wackiest?" but lately when I talk to people about them, I get a pretty unfamiliar perspective about my family life.

EDIT: Nice coincidence going on is that I'm typing this while visiting my parent's house. My diabetic father is starting to nod off and she's in the kitchen passive-aggressively slamming cabinets and rattling dishes to keep him awake.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Plan Z posted:

I used to tell these stories like "Aren't WASP Boomers just the wackiest?" but lately when I talk to people about them, I get a pretty unfamiliar perspective about my family life.

EDIT: Nice coincidence going on is that I'm typing this while visiting my parent's house. My diabetic father is starting to nod off and she's in the kitchen passive-aggressively slamming cabinets and rattling dishes to keep him awake.

Laughing at "I need plausible deniability about the fact that I don't want him asleep, so I'm just gonna make noise I can pass off as coincidental/an accident."

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"
Boomers like emojis but they don't know how to use them correctly

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

DorkusMalorkus posted:

:lol: Lots of Love! :lol:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

DorkusMalorkus posted:

liveLAUGHlovemourn

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Plan Z posted:

Plan Z posted:

Your mom loving owns.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

PipHelix posted:

See, I hated being dragged to sports, and only really ever in college did it work, because the local team was poo poo, you could get tickets for literally five dollars, and they had 'college nights' with like, dollar franks and $3 beers. And of course I pregamed myself blind in the parking lot.

Cut down the prices, let me bring my own booze and or food, or at least buy it cheap, I'll watch any dumb sport. I feel like this is how sports got started, just a nice day in a park with a distraction to look at occasionally and then it got Boomerified. Hell, the last three weeks since they opened the parks back up, I've spent Saturday afternoons watching fat joggers struggle and dogs poo poo, but I have my backpack full of wine beer chips and books, so bring it on.

Oh my God, RONNIE? Is that you?

Bruh what is a “gypsy cab”

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Sisyphus is sunk cost boomer as gently caress. Doing something painfully dull because 'that's just how you have to do it' and 'well we've come so far now we can't stop now!'. What's going to happen if you let the boulder go? A cow gets squashed or something? Who cares. He probably knows he's pushing it up the wrong mountain but is just to stubborn to admit it and ask for help before he herniates a disc.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

yeah boomers are so stupid because they watch sportsball, unlike I, an enlightened goon, who can be entertained by Animal Crossing all year

irregardless sports is already back, the Tawainese and Korean baseball leagues are broadcasting internationally in English now

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Outrail posted:

Sisyphus is sunk cost boomer as gently caress. Doing something painfully dull because 'that's just how you have to do it' and 'well we've come so far now we can't stop now!'. What's going to happen if you let the boulder go? A cow gets squashed or something? Who cares. He probably knows he's pushing it up the wrong mountain but is just to stubborn to admit it and ask for help before he herniates a disc.

this guy had a side gig i think didn't he invent vernearial disease?

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

The Maestro posted:

Bruh what is a “gypsy cab”

Bruh, live in a city before 2012.

Edited for hostility, but Jesus Christ, the acting shocked by a word or idea is such a played out bit. I know this food tastes like rear end, because I eat rear end ok. And I know what gypsy cab is because I lived among the probably 50 million Americans where the word is commonplace vernacular. You wanna argue whether it's woke or not... well honestly that's not an argument I'm interested in entertaining either, though I'll pay your ticket and drive you into Soundview or Tremont or Brownsville where you can lecture the people who say and use gypsy cabs about how it's problematic. But you not knowing something is on you.

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 5, 2020

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
dude its not the preferred nomenclature

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Outrail posted:

I'm being pedantic as gently caress here but he's literally condemned to hell. He has zero choice in the matter and therefore cannot but, given an eternity to dwell on it, not to come to an acceptance of his extremely limited circumstances. Then again you could also make literally the same argument about prometheus but you'd have a much harder time arguing a getting your liver ripped out is something you could transcend and accept.

So if you're looking for a crack to get the boomer hate wedge into, maybe the implicit assumption that unceasing back breaking toil that profits the worker absolutely nothing whatsoever isn't really all THAT bad, of a punishment, now is it? But Sartre wasn't a Boomer and I'm not well read enough to say what the French Existentialists philosophical priors are, but they're probably not much overlap between them and late-20th century WASP lumpenboomers.

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 5, 2020

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

bob dobbs is dead posted:

dude its not the preferred nomenclature

Not saying it's great, just saying it's literally the only word for them, unless you want to be some status obsessed gentrifier and refer to it as a 'car service'. Or, I suppose, 'rideshare'.

I preferred dollarvans myself, gypsy cabs weren't much cheaper than real cabs, they just went to the places regular cabs wouldn't. Which is like 95% of every major US metro.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Pushing a boulder up a hill for eternity and getting no joy from it is also Boomer AF.

"It's what you're supposed to do. Don't rock the boat. My parents had it worse."

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

PipHelix posted:

I'm being pedantic as gently caress here but he's literally condemned to hell. He has zero choice in the matter and therefore he has no choice, given an eternity to dwell on it, not to come to an acceptance of his extremely limited circumstances. Then again you could also make literally the same argument about prometheus but you'd have a much harder time arguing a getting your liver ripped out is something you could transcend and accept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJlPr2KHSFo

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Tricky D posted:

Pushing a boulder up a hill for eternity and getting no joy from it is also Boomer AF.

"It's what you're supposed to do. Don't rock the boat. My parents had it worse."

Yea but he's like, in literal hell, being punished. Hurting their dumbass backs doing pointless work badly and never retiring is what we're complaining about them doing and they do it because they love to do it and they're rewarded prodigiously for doing it. Boomers act like they do because it's a choice, and because they're insulated from the consequences, and the ones they can't be insulated from they both deny and then make it everyone else's problem to accomodate.

Sisyphus doesn't have a choice, he hates every minute of it but he has no options, there's no profit in it for him, and no one helps or supports him in anyway. His curse is to basically be Millenial (or zoomer, or lets face it, any generation post-Gen X). That's a pretty sly, and subtle, and ironic short-story type of hell, for a Boomer, granted. But irony is lost on the Boomer.

Boomer sisyphus would:
1. Live in a single family detached suburban home
2. Where the property value is declining
3. And he can't sell it but at a loss
4. And the property taxes go up every year
5. Because all of his neighbors are black folks who keep moving in
6. Who outvote him on every bond issue to fund their kids' education
7. And don't mow their lawns *enough*
8. And outvote him on the HOA about the lawns and
9. The cookouts they have most weekends, at reasonable hours, at reasonable volumes
10. To which he or she has a standing invite
11. But would never attend because they don't think the food would be 'clean' enough so they stay home
12. And do nothing because the cable's out and their kid who usually fixes it stopped talking to them because of a racist meme they posted on facebook.
12. And do nothing because the cable's out and they stopped talking to their kid who usually fixes it because of a fight about a racist meme they posted on facebook.

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 5, 2020

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Plan Z posted:

I have a lot of memories of being like 5-8 and my parents taking me out to dinner with their friends and I'd be the only kid in attendance and I was expected to just sit quietly and speak only when spoken to etc and when I inevitably ended up starting to fall asleep in my chair by like 9PM my mother would continually shake me awake to tell me that I was embarrassing her with how rude and immature I was being and that she was never going to take me out anywhere ever again and unfortunately she didn't end up making good on that threat. "Naps are for babies" was a whole Thing idgi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Anyone who has (multiple) young children these days will find it utterly baffling that a parent would go out of their way to keep their kid awake. Are they masochists? A sleepy kid is like a fuckin golden ticket for parents--the kid is guaranteeing their parents can kick back, have an adult conversation watch a sportsball game, etc. My nephews are like 10 and 12 and they'll still conk out on their grandmas couch and it just means their parents can chill in the backyard without having to deal with their kids fighting over smartphones or kicking a soccer ball through a bedroom window or something.