Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

My 5 year old son, after watching a bunch of videos from Mr A Game, just beat BOTW with only two divine beasts. This is after playing the game for approx 2 months.

I haven't even beaten this game, but he straight up schooled Ganon in literally all of his forms.

:stare: but also :toot:

I accidentally bumped into Ganon yesterday while looking for the royal armor. While in a zoom class, which is basically all I do in zoom classes.

I was debating on whether to put the sound on during the end credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Runcible Cat posted:

Sure, but you have to pay for them.

He also can't help you if you miss the Blights, and i'm guessing Kohga is probably the same way.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Cattail Prophet posted:

He also can't help you if you miss the Blights, and i'm guessing Kohga is probably the same way.

He can, you just have to beat the game first.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah, i really don't know why everyone freaks out about the "permanently" missable shots in the game when there's a service specifically for giving you the pics you missed.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Amppelix posted:

Yeah, i really don't know why everyone freaks out about the "permanently" missable shots in the game when there's a service specifically for giving you the pics you missed.

Well I climbed to the top of Hyrule castle and this korok got in my shot. How can I get a pic of Link in the Xenoblade armor now?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

My 5 year old son, after watching a bunch of videos from Mr A Game, just beat BOTW with only two divine beasts. This is after playing the game for approx 2 months.

I haven't even beaten this game, but he straight up schooled Ganon in literally all of his forms.

:stare: but also :toot:

I would say "make a Let's Play", but that would probably count as child exploitation.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I have accepted the fact that five-year-olds can be better at games than me, I am absolutely not cringing in embarrassment and wondering how my life went so wrong

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Amppelix posted:

The initial poster did say they wanted to take the pictures with the shiekah slate on their new playthrough, so yeah, missable pics are a consideration.

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Finally got that last Korok Seed. Never going to 100% BotW again, but glad I can say I did it once. Throw it on the pile.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Alvarez IV posted:

Finally got that last Korok Seed. Never going to 100% BotW again, but glad I can say I did it once. Throw it on the pile.

How long did it take you? What were the trickiest?

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Tokelau All Star posted:

How long did it take you? What were the trickiest?

I started at the start of the plague, knocked out the first two thirds in big, systematic chunks, actually enjoyed the game and slowly went for the last bunch. The trickiest was the last one because I had to go down a list and check off which one I'd missed, but fortunately I found it in the first quarter of the map I was looking at. All in all, BotW is a drat fine game, though my favorites are still my favorites. I think there's improvements to be made in the interface, I think there should be something to mitigate climbing during rain, and I wasn't nearly as salty about the Yiga Assassins as many were, I liked the randomness of it and the variety it added. I'm thinking about trying Master Mode but I'm just going to tool around in there, and if the regenerating health is more annoying than the varied patterns and floating platforms are fun, I'll move on for a while until BotW2.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Master mode is a lot of fun from when you can get enough gear to not be one hit killed by everyone constantly to when you’re no longer imperiled by most enemies (fully upgraded armor ish?). The very beginning is exciting but a little too hard, and once you can shrug off a lynel the rest is a weapon inventory management problem.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

I don’t wanna spoil anything but beating the dungeons gives Link cool magic powers, one of which really changes how you explore and get around, so I really recommend doing the dungeons before getting in the bulk of your exploration.
Yeah, this is my 2nd time playing, so I know. I wanted to do the bird first, but I can't even get close to that part of the map without being distracted.

Bust Rodd posted:

Zelda players: I have played through 17 Zelda games at this point, and unlocked the hook shot and magic hammer and master sword and the bow and the Zora flippers for the dozenth time and fought Ganon for the 50th time and saved Zelda for the millionth time!

Also Zelda players: the puzzles in BotW are repetitive.

I guess this was adressed to me, and I somehow missed it.
There's a big difference. I like puzzles in other Zelda games. I don't like puzzles in BotW. Opening/entering/getting orb/exiting shrine takes time, and inside you get something that just feels like a room 5-6 from Portal. Stacking three metal cubes on top of one another isn't really fun, nor is burning all the grass you find in an otherwise metallic enviroment. There are some good ones, of course. I've enjoyed carrying ice through Mario-like fire traps, and I really liked creating cryonis pillars to navigate ball to the hole like some kind of Rube Goldberg machine. The latter is simple, but feels satisfying.
Most others, though, are just Zelda puzzles that you've seen, or those you can figure out in a few seconds that take way too much time to execute. In other titles those rooms would connect to something else or would require you to memorize them and come back, but I also feel they were a bit faster.
I really like the shrines that present you with multiple challenges, but when I see a big button where I need to put three chests? Not a fan.
Unfortunately I have a very good memory for puzzles, so even if most of them were cool the first time, now they don't really do anything for me.
And motion control ones are just obnoxious. Yeah, I know you can rotate the maze, but it's not even the worst one.

It's still a 10/10 game, don't get me wrong, it's just that exploration, collecting, and talking to NPCs part is SO MUCH stronger. Really wish Hard Mode was as good as some suggestions here. I do some self-imposed challenges (most notably not eating food that isn't in "recipes" tab, and not cooling that much), but I kinda wish the game would punish me for forgetting to switch armor before I swim, or weapon before lightning starts.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think the reason I really stan for the shrines in BotW is because I am a pretty serious LONK. I just suck at puzzles and really lack that open-reasoning sort of mindset that really rewards puzzle games. BotW is like the first game that I really grok in terms of puzzles and physics and the only way i wouldve made any progress was specifically because of how repetitive they are. It makes me really feel like i'm Link, relearning this alien world that i used to call home.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Vookatos posted:

Well, here's hoping "early" means pre-dungeon, since I've explored A LOT, but barely do shrines. I was hoping there wouldn't be any missable photos aside from bosses but oh well.

I'm pretty sure there are also a couple locations where specific enemies still spawn in their red/blue form even if enemies everywhere else have leveled up. I know that the Lynel on Breakback Mountain stays a normal (red) Lynel no matter how much other enemies level up. And the Bokoblins on the plateau I don't think ever advance beyond red either.

I remember also finding a red Moblin chilling at one of the hot springs in north-west of the map very late in the game.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

There is always one enemy you can find (except for Cursed Bokoblin) somewhere, but you can outlevel the level 2 Lynel Spear, Club, and Bow pretty easily and can't get them again. I believe the Kokiri Spear or Sword and the Kite Shield are of finite supply, as well.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Inu posted:

I remember also finding a red Moblin chilling at one of the hot springs in north-west of the map very late in the game.

I think the ones at the Hyrule end of Digdogger Bridge stay red too.

mastajake posted:

There is always one enemy you can find (except for Cursed Bokoblin) somewhere, but you can outlevel the level 2 Lynel Spear, Club, and Bow pretty easily and can't get them again. I believe the Kokiri Spear or Sword and the Kite Shield are of finite supply, as well.

You can always find a Forest spear and shield just round the big root from the main Forest shrine, and I think the shrine quest that involves wooden gear will always give you a new sword etc.

There's a kite shield on the wall of whatsername the super shield surfer's hut too, so you can get a pic there even if you can't get the shield itself.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The two constellation shrines were a kick-rear end puzzle imo

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I loving love puzzles.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Bust Rodd posted:

I think the reason I really stan for the shrines in BotW is because I am a pretty serious LONK. I just suck at puzzles and really lack that open-reasoning sort of mindset that really rewards puzzle games. BotW is like the first game that I really grok in terms of puzzles and physics and the only way i wouldve made any progress was specifically because of how repetitive they are. It makes me really feel like i'm Link, relearning this alien world that i used to call home.

That’s sweet. Link has something in common with Snake from metal gear V

I used to get bummed out by puzzles in Wind Waker or maybe twilight princess but it was because I’d been drinking all day

Now that I’m mostly sober I just look at the combat parts and sigh because I don’t feel like I’m ever going to get better at them if I can just hack and slash and eat my way through.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I can just hack and slash and eat my way through

I know what you mean, but I'm tickled by the idea of them implementing this directly in BotW2

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Runcible Cat posted:

I think the ones at the Hyrule end of Digdogger Bridge stay red too.

You can always find a Forest spear and shield just round the big root from the main Forest shrine, and I think the shrine quest that involves wooden gear will always give you a new sword etc.

There's a kite shield on the wall of whatsername the super shield surfer's hut too, so you can get a pic there even if you can't get the shield itself.

Ah right, I was using the mindset of needing to take a picture of them on the rack.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

i finally grabbed the dlc pack because quarantine and i'm playing through botw again and the big thing that's struck me (even with the dlc) is how much of the map is just superfluous. most combat encounters are a waste of your time / resources, and the ones that are mandatory to complete generally include enough gear nearby that you don't need to RP link as an obsessive compulsive pack rat. so many of the shrines just have unremarkable rewards, and outside needing a very specific number of shrines completed to reclaim the master sword, very few of them are interesting enough to be worth doing. i don't think a single one of those monster camps (skull caves or tree forts) contains unique or important loot, which makes them feel like so much wasted effort. the few really cool & unique areas are still good (those three weird baroque mazes, the island where you lose all your gear, etc.) but the rest of the game is just unremarkable trees and grass and animals for loving miles.

it's weird because the game was loving magical to play through once, but i feel like it really suffers once you're approaching it without the blindness of novelty. i didn't 100% the game the first time i played it and i figured that there must be all kinds of cool poo poo that i didn't discover, but i feel like i still played too much and didn't leave enough undone for a second play through. what this game needs is a 1st party official randomizer.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

While I agree that the game would benefit from having interesting and useful secrets stashed away in more places (the Forgotten Temple was a bit of a missed opportunity, for example, as well as that cool set of islands with bridges off the east coast), I still find the world so remarkably large and vibrant that I can't fault the game whatsoever. I've been astounded to open up my map, see that it looks pretty well-trod, then zoom in and find vast areas that I never even set foot in. Vast, vast areas. Maybe I'll run into a Lynel fight, which I still find fun, or just run over hills for a while and find a Korok, which I also enjoy. I see where you're coming from, and I agree that there's real magic in the first play-through, but I still find the world remarkable. Honestly, I don't think a game has impressed me so much since Super Mario 64. I haven't done a second playthrough, though.

All this reminds me: I still need to finish Kass' sidequests (who is the best character in the game, btw).

But sure, that's one of my hopes for BOTW2: more meaningful secrets. It could be heart pieces, bits of lore (even text would do fine, to tell me more history), more armor sets, maybe some unique weapons, story events, etc.

Still, what a cool game.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
They should have cut the number of shrines in half by merging a lot of them together to form larger, multi room shrines.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

x1o posted:

They should have cut the number of shrines in half by merging a lot of them together to form larger, multi room shrines.

Yeah, there were a few longer shrines (just off the top of my head: the one on the west side of Hyrule Field, the blue flame one in the crab island near Goron City, and I think there was a wind-based one in southwest Tabantha) that almost felt like outright dungeons. Gluing a bunch of the electricity-puzzle ones from the desert together would probably work too.

Quantum Toast fucked around with this message at 09:56 on May 8, 2020

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

x1o posted:

that's a great idea, and i think it also would have helped if they hadn't used the same sheika faux-techno style of all of them. have some be the ice cave pallet, or the rainy tropical forest, or a lava dungeon or whatever. hopefully botw2 gets to explore more stuff like that since story-wise there's no reason for the sheika tech to matter so much this time around

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Bifner McDoogle posted:

They're not complaining about puzzles, though, he's complaining about shrines. BOTW has some amazing over world puzzles and I legit like the Divine Beasts more than most, but those shrines are loving terrible - in their current form they are a totally half baked and without a doubt the worst part of the game.

I played BOTW twice and got sick of the shrines halfway through the first run. There is only one design style to them (a style could maybe carry 1 dungeon at most) and the shrine song is a very short, annoying loop and the worst song in the game. The puzzles are always self-contained and have a pretty obvious single solution without room for red herrings (with very, very few exceptions). I'm not very good at puzzles in Zelda games (seriously, I still struggle with the Ice Dungeon from LTTP), but the only shrine that took me longer than 10 minutes to clean out were the combat shrines early on.

The absolute worst thing about the shrines, though, is that 90% of them are totally disconnected from the world and make it less rewarding to explore it. It's great to come across what looks to be a cool riddle or a hidden cave, but when the reward is always just another shrine (complete with a loading screen and the same reward as every other loving shrine) there's no reason to give a poo poo. Shrines are repetitive, easy, disconnected blue slop that frequently turns exploration from memorable fun to an indistinct blue blur. I doubt I could remember even 6 of the shrine puzzles, but I know I could solve them all in minutes. The issue here is that the shrines are supposed to be a reward for exploration. Instead, they feel like a chore you have to go through in between the fun parts of the game.

If people are willing to go through the same motions in every Zelda release for years in spite of mechanics being repeated constantly over all the games, it usually means that the mechanics are being spread out and swapped up enough so that they're still engaging. It's a testament to solid design in most games that these things managed to stick around, and while people noticed they were repetitive they still had fun with it. The trick with the shrines only really works once - If Nintendo brings back shrines in BOTW 2, they need to completely change how they do it or people will wise up to how similar and lazy the shrines really are.

the shrines are good

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I kinda liked the Aperture Science Testing Chamber aesthetic of the shrines. The uniformity was appropriate given that there were a lot of them that all served the same purpose. Making them feel routine in that way made for a nice comfortable rhythm. I imagine it made the process of development much more efficient as well, and that's a real concern when you're talking about a game that took 300 people five years to make.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!

Bongo Bill posted:

I kinda liked the Aperture Science Testing Chamber aesthetic of the shrines. The uniformity was appropriate given that there were a lot of them that all served the same purpose. Making them feel routine in that way made for a nice comfortable rhythm. I imagine it made the process of development much more efficient as well, and that's a real concern when you're talking about a game that took 300 people five years to make.

Silent protagonists able to soar across vast distances...I think we’re onto the crossover of the century!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bongo Bill posted:

I really wish they were more varied visually, also they should have abandoned all of the combat shrines since they were bad.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

actually it is you who was bad

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Bongo Bill posted:

Yeah, I loved them too, and never minded the sameness of the decor at all. I do think there could have been a few fewer combat shrines, though. It was always disappointing to me to reach a new shrine and see that pop up when I was hoping for some sort of puzzle.

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

sigher posted:

I really wish they were more varied visually, also they should have abandoned all of the combat shrines since they were bad.

Amppelix posted:

actually it is you who was bad

BotW's combat is pretty bad tbh, probably the worst part of the game

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You can be bad, and the combat shrines can be bad :shrug:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The worst part of a great game can still be good

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I thought botw’s combat was stellar when I first played it, but that’s because mentally my I was comparing it to, like, Skyrim, and not games with actually good combat mechanics. Open world games historically have awful fighting, so Zelda’s simple, toy-like, shallow mechanics stood head and shoulders above its bad competition.

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->
The N64 Zeldas had more advanced combat. At least in those you could use different sword combos.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Fojar38 posted:

The N64 Zeldas had more advanced combat. At least in those you could use different sword combos.

The basis of swordplay in Ocarina of Time up through Twilight Princess was that you could do horizontal, vertical, or thrusting attacks, and Breath of the Wild has the same basic elements. It doesn't have the same advanced moves as Twilight Princess, but it does have a few, like how the last hit of a combo is a heavy attack that can stun an enemy or knock away their shield, or how you can use your own shield to parry enemy attacks and create an opening. And like those earlier games, it's all there, but just mashing is good enough almost all the time.

(Skyward Sword is the outlier because it made the system explicit enough that you had to actually pay attention to it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

x1o posted:

This is my take, too. I remember one somewhere near Gerudo region that asked you to dodge rolling balls, fight some enemies, solve a few stasis puzzles, that was great!
I would also prefer if "blessing" shrines were something else. was originally against them, thinking that it would be better if they just gave me a chest, but now I think I'd just like them to be visually different.

The Bloop posted:

The worst part of a great game can still be good
This. Just hope they improve dungeons and shrines for the sequel.

Speaking of, I actually enjoyed replaying a dungeon a lot. Elephant one is simple, and I remember all the puzzles from my first time, but it was still a blast. Little pre-entrance "battle" is cool as hell, and it has some great moments, like climbing on a trunk. Shame they're all kinda samey.