Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bruteman posted:

Why do I feel like covid deniers talking about "we have to reopen everything because of impending mental health issues" rings the same way they talk about it after a mass shooting? When have conservatives ever given a poo poo about mental health?

Also why do so many of them seem so blase about 80k dead? Looking around Twitter this morning I see a lot of "it's mostly in nursing homes OH WELL what a shame, open it all back up."

Yeah their arguments are bad faith / performative concern. I know that's a lovely reductive way to dismiss other people's arguments but gently caress it, they're ghouls and I'm not feeling generous enough to give them the benefit of the doubt.

God forbid any of my social media friends try that line on me because I will go through their entire post history to prove that they never gave a poo poo about any of these points until today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Celexi posted:

poor people have had pets for thousands of years, rich people get fancy breeds or exotic pets but don't say its a rich people only thing as its never been

America's bizarre and terrible pet culture is an expensive aspirational middle class thing like huge trucks, not all pet ownership is part of this

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Peacoffee posted:

that dude is 100% using post-modern the way nazis talked of modernism (and add to that the general chaos of relativity AKA JEW SCIENCE)

I do not know how the Nazi's talked about modernism, but trusting what you are saying, then yes. They are both using it the exact same way.

But the use/definition/meaning of the word "postmodern" can change wildly. But I know enough about that word and what surrounds it, that I never want to use, and people would be better off treating it like a corporate buzz word.

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah their arguments are bad faith / performative concern. I know that's a lovely reductive way to dismiss other people's arguments but gently caress it, they're ghouls and I'm not feeling generous enough to give them the benefit of the doubt.

God forbid any of my social media friends try that line on me because I will go through their entire post history to prove that they never gave a poo poo about any of these points until today.

All of a sudden right wingers are concerned about poverty and preventable deaths

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Bruteman posted:

Why do I feel like covid deniers talking about "we have to reopen everything because of impending mental health issues" rings the same way they talk about it after a mass shooting? When have conservatives ever given a poo poo about mental health?

its the same false dilemma as "let people die or the economy crashes." there are in fact several alternatives such as "change the way the economy works to accommodate changing circumstances" and "take money away from law enforcement and put it towards public mental health services"

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Marx Headroom posted:

its the same false dilemma as "let people die or the economy crashes." there are in fact several alternatives such as "change the way the economy works to accommodate changing circumstances" and "take money away from law enforcement and put it towards public mental health services"

Also money printer

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Peacoffee posted:

my parents laughed about trump and bleach all last week and then booked their tickets to colorado in 7 days lmao I tried to stop them. 63 and 72 lol

I legit do not understand who is still flying and why. what could be so important to do? hell, I'd rent a car to drive 1,500 miles before flying at this point

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

fosborb posted:

I legit do not understand who is still flying and why. what could be so important to do? hell, I'd rent a car to drive 1,500 miles before flying at this point

It's just the flu bro it's every year the fact the the libs are trying to destroy the constitution has no bearing

Frumply
Dec 7, 2004

shovelbum posted:

America's bizarre and terrible pet culture is an expensive aspirational middle class thing like huge trucks, not all pet ownership is part of this

one day pet island will pay for their crimes

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
cats are literally free you start out with five cats in a village and in two years you'll have three hundred and seventy five cats. just start feedin one and going pspspsps who's a good kitty and boom you got a cat

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
To get back to the start of the pet discussion, which I'm pretty sure was about food - I'm not sure you can return to the "Just let your pet feed itself" model in cities or suburbs, too little food to go around. The cats will decimate the population of smaller animals, before fanning out into the countryside to continue their holocaust, while the dogs will form packs and start harassing/attacking people, like you see in Russia except on a far grander scale.

Of course people aren't going to just switch to letting their pet feed themselves, so in the event of it becoming increasingly hard to feet pets, the outdoor cats who are let out to supplement what they get at home will become prey to the suburban trappers, naturally putting a check on pet food demand.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

fosborb posted:

only thing important for flying right now is transporting organs

I suppose if you had a death in the family and needed to deal with something in person immediately that would be a reason

but in general people feel the need to keep up their "lifestyles" because capitalism has taught them to consume no matter what

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

A Buttery Pastry posted:

To get back to the start of the pet discussion, which I'm pretty sure was about food - I'm not sure you can return to the "Just let your pet feed itself" model in cities or suburbs, too little food to go around.

Yeah exactly this, foraging/hunting/whatever doesn't scale up to match the demands of an industrial society

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Hey facetoucher cat the last time I checked in on this thread you were posting about how you were really sick, are you doing better now?

I'm doing much better now thanks. I still have a really bad cough but it's starting to taper off

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

dogs are wolves who learned to love to eat poop and I think that makes them probably the best candidate for human's best friend.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

actionjackson posted:

I suppose if you had a death in the family and needed to deal with something in person immediately that would be a reason

even in this, the only thing that would need to be done in actual person is like, picking up your now orphaned under 5 years old godchild

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Joey Steel posted:

Nope. I will next time, gotta pick up my wife's meds in a day or two, as her prescription was apparently not refilled.

The pharmacy told me my inhaler is on back order and they'd call me tomorrow. I'm going to look into alternatives like otc getting more stuff for a rescue inhaler in case this is a sign of things to come

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Frumply posted:

it's even dumber than this. people enjoy animal crossing because it's a game about object customization and talking animals.

the basis for his initial argument, that the game is only being played by leftists, can't even be proven. everything he is saying is extremely stupid.

Saying it's stupid doesn't do enough. This person is a broken and disgusting and has this narrow and "pure" definition of what it means to be "masculine." Hope he loses followers.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

shovelbum posted:

Yeah exactly this, foraging/hunting/whatever doesn't scale up to match the demands of an industrial society
It'd scale down an industrial society pretty quickly though!

e: I just realized that "Just let them hunt" is the pet equivalent of suggesting everyone becomes bankers if they don't want to be poor.

A Buttery Pastry has issued a correction as of 21:35 on May 10, 2020

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

pitbulls are rad and chill, just like every other breed of dog when not treated like garbage, hth

My first dog growing up was a pit bull mix. My parents had her trained really well and she loved everyone and everything except for the jehovah witnesses that would come by time to time. She wanted to rip them to shreds for some reason

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

im not afraid anymore

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

facetoucher cat posted:

My first dog growing up was a pit bull mix. My parents had her trained really well and she loved everyone and everything except for the jehovah witnesses that would come by time to time. She wanted to rip them to shreds for some reason

I've had like probably idk 15 dogs through my life counting dogs growing up and by far the nicest and calmest one I ever had was the pit bull my wife and I had who maybe barked twice at anything in the entire 10 years we had her

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Hot Karl Marx posted:

lmao the rest of the world literally thinks america is the stupidest country in the west, and has for decades

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Impkins Patootie posted:

im not afraid anymore

https://youtu.be/xLpfbcXTeo8

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

facetoucher cat posted:

The pharmacy told me my inhaler is on back order and they'd call me tomorrow. I'm going to look into alternatives like otc getting more stuff for a rescue inhaler in case this is a sign of things to come

I get my inhalers from india, it's literally cheaper to get 2 $5 ventolins from India plus $15 shipping than the $30 copay for Amerikkkan ventolin.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Laffer is still making the world worse, wow

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Stefan Prodan posted:

I've had like probably idk 15 dogs through my life counting dogs growing up and by far the nicest and calmest one I ever had was the pit bull my wife and I had who maybe barked twice at anything in the entire 10 years we had her

The most vicious dogs have been chihuahuas and chows. I worked with and lived around various dogs from a very young age. Pits have capability but they're more a mirror of their abuse and their owners

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

GATES FOUNDATION posted:

I get my inhalers from india, it's literally cheaper to get 2 $5 ventolins from India plus $15 shipping than the $30 copay for Amerikkkan ventolin.

OMG how?!?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I made a cold smoker out of a storage bin, a yeti cup, a PC fan and a cheap soldering iron.

I did some cheese yesterday and now I'm smoking the lox I cured in my fridge

This quarantine is breaking my brain but I'm able to do all sorts of projects I've put off for years

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

shovelbum posted:

Can the average foreigner tell Trump is an idiot or are they mostly chuds like the US

The type of person who likes Trump has to be less than 10% in Canada and Australia, the two places I've lived recently. Every country has uneducated rednecks but America's inability to wrangle corporate corruption, and its perverse ideas of "freedom," are pretty loving jarring for the rest of us.

UnfortunateSexFart has issued a correction as of 21:51 on May 10, 2020

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
There might be a pharmacy open 365 days a year. Like a "365 pharmacy" search on a search engine IDK a friend said something about it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Analyzing everything in terms of dominion, just shows off how he wants a hierarchy to structure his life. He wants to know which boot to lick and who will lick his boot.

The way he is using the word "postmodern" could be replaced by chaos, unstructured, lack of a straight forward and simple hierarchy.

"The history of the world, my sweet
Is who gets eaten and who gets to eat."

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Chinatown posted:

drove by my parents place today for Mothers Day to say hi from my car.

My parents said they are thinking about going to Hawaii in November for my Mom's 70th birthday.

THEY DON'T loving GET IT YET

:negative:

Hawaii's in good shape if they're okay with sitting in a hotel room for the first 14 days

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Dogs are dumb as hell. That's okay we still love that garbage.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

If you think the main IHME projections are great, the real magic is in their state-level models.

Take for instance Georgia:

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

There might be a pharmacy open 365 days a year. Like a "365 pharmacy" search on a search engine IDK a friend said something about it.

Similarly, there chemists that are open all day. You might refer to it as an "all day chemist"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

80k!!

:toot:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Has Trump moved the goalposts on under 200k deaths being a success yet? Because he probably should.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

fosborb posted:

I love under the approach for ATL hartsfield, and air traffic definitely has picked up the past few days. I'm not sure if the flights are full, but for a long while there it dropped off a ton. 2-3 days ago the air traffic picked up significantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Phi230 posted:

Me, a braindead "leftist": wow a lot of rich people have pets, hmmm, maybe pets are evil bourgeoisie affectations