Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
This was a while ago, but Shadowsun is done!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Just got the greeny tentaclly bits to do in purple now

I enjoy this greatly, thank you.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Zuul the Cat posted:

These are fun & fast to paint.

Look at those cute little buggers :3:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

Look at those cute little buggers :3:

million year old murder robot bugs :3:

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Anyone got any protips for rebasing miniatures?

I bought some minis that came glued onto square plastic bases and I want to put them on circular bases. Right now my plan is to try and carefully x-acto knife them off but I was curious if anyone knew a better method. Some minis are metal, some are plastic, if that matters.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Class Warcraft posted:

I bought some minis that came glued onto square plastic bases and I want to put them on circular bases. Right now my plan is to try and carefully x-acto knife them off but I was curious if anyone knew a better method. Some minis are metal, some are plastic, if that matters.

Depending on how much glue was put on the feet you can probably just get some leverage under them and crack them off the base. If it's a lot of glue you might need to toss them in the freezer first.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

KozmoNaut posted:

I bought one of these aromatherapy/essential oil carry cases recently, and it's just perfect for someone like me, who lives in a small apartment with no room for a permanent hobby setup. It's so much better than the MDF rack I used before. I dunno if everyone else is already using these, but it's new to me and dropper bottles are an absolutely perfect fit.

Now I've got my paints in this case, various tools and supplies in a tackle box, minis in a cookie tin (magnets, yo) and my brushes in my wet palette's storage compartment, everything is quick to get in and out of the storage closet. I've also grown quite attached to my little HobbyZone painting station, it keeps me from spilling stuff on my desk and keeps brushes and tools handy while I work, it's the best thing short of an actual permanent setup.

The aromatherapy case has a purple zipper and some flowers and stuff on it, it's pretty rad.

I have a pair of the same cases for my paints. Best use of aromatherapy equipment.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Cheap af too because you aren't paying teh hobby tax (at least not The Hobby tax)?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I enjoy this greatly, thank you.

Thanks!

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

I really like this scheme. Excellent work!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I did some minor painting today (no photos because I'm lazy). Shaded some Grey Knights Terminators with AP Blue Tone, which may/may not have been a good choice over the already blue-tinted Grey Knights Steel (did a search, and found a blog where they shaded the Grey Knights Steel with Drakenhof Nightshade, and it didn't look overwhelmingly blue, so I figured it was safe). Only did three, since the other two I haven't put a base paint down on them yet.

Once those were ready to start drying, I went back to work on Mk.III Sons of Horus. Since it seemed like the paint (Lupercal Grene) was going on too thin, I had the thought to try putting the paint down on a regular palette instead of the wet palette, and that sort of helped, but it still seemed like it was going on thin and streaky, giving it that tide-marked look.

Towards the end of my painting session, I had the epiphany, "Hey, maybe I'm using too much water and that's making the paint too thin." I've been doing the base coats with filbert brushes, but what I would do is put paint on the palette, then stick the brush halfway into the water to load it with water. I thought to instead just dab a corner of the brush lightly into the water and then thin the paint. Applying it like that, I thought it would dry into a THINYOURPAINTS mess, but it looked like it applied pretty well. I have to test it with the others though.

I think the mistake I made was trying to do the zenithal highlight with black and white spray primer. The Lupercal Green doesn't seem to go over black that well, but then that might have been the fault of me thinning the paint too much.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I used to hate solid canopy windows, but painting a reflected Bob Ross landscape is rapidly becoming my favorite thing.

NAGA LIU KANG
Jul 17, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Recently stumbled across the forums miniatures threads after coming into the hobby about a year ago with several on and off months of painting, only recently putting near daily time to it since quarantine (of course...)

Got a few rookie questions that have probably been answered several times over:

• Dont have a grip or bought tacky to plop my my minis on. Some of the unpainted primer has lifted off the model base. Easy way to re-prime those removed sections?
  • I've primed some models but noticed after priming they've got fiddly gaps to be filled. Haven't decided on a filler yet being an amateur, but should I strip the primer, fill the gap and then re-prime or...?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
well I wanted to do a fantasy model next, but I think I might do a character instead and the only character I have is good old Huron Blackheart

got him all disassembled and cleaned up to try out, for the first time, painting something in piecemeal

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Finished up my airplane, so now I can walk around the house making 'Reeeeaaaaaoooooooow' sounds

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

NAGA LIU KANG posted:

Recently stumbled across the forums miniatures threads after coming into the hobby about a year ago with several on and off months of painting, only recently putting near daily time to it since quarantine (of course...)

Got a few rookie questions that have probably been answered several times over:

• Dont have a grip or bought tacky to plop my my minis on. Some of the unpainted primer has lifted off the model base. Easy way to re-prime those removed sections?
  • I've primed some models but noticed after priming they've got fiddly gaps to be filled. Haven't decided on a filler yet being an amateur, but should I strip the primer, fill the gap and then re-prime or...?

Just brushing on primer will solve all of your problems. I would scrape the primer off the gaps to make sure your filler bonds to the plastic or metal or whatever and then brush the primer on.

NAGA LIU KANG
Jul 17, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Just brushing on primer will solve all of your problems. I would scrape the primer off the gaps to make sure your filler bonds to the plastic or metal or whatever and then brush the primer on.

I appreciate the input. Follow up question!

I bought some Vallejo liquid primer but while testing it on a mini I realized mid-way through that it was for an airbrush.

Can I still make it work? What I saw as the result I found undesirable, but I probably applied it wrong and definitely not with an airbrush.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

NAGA LIU KANG posted:

I bought some Vallejo liquid primer but while testing it on a mini I realized mid-way through that it was for an airbrush.

Can I still make it work? What I saw as the result I found undesirable, but I probably applied it wrong and definitely not with an airbrush.

I guess it depends on what you mean by undesirable, but the Vallejo primer should be perfectly usable with a brush. You shouldn’t need to thin it much but make sure not to just glop it on.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
realistically the only difference between airbrush paints is that they're (basically) pre-thinned

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

NAGA LIU KANG posted:

Any non-aerosolized primer works through an airbrush or paint on hit painting may take more than one application.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Tank time! Quarantine owns for getting poo poo painted that I wouldn't otherwise have.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Booley posted:

Tank time! Quarantine owns for getting poo poo painted that I wouldn't otherwise have.

Jesus christ that's good

(also can i see your photo setup)

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

NAGA LIU KANG posted:

I've been using Vallejo Surface Primer with a brush for a while now and only recently started using it through an airbrush. I don't thin in either case and it works perfectly fine.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

KozmoNaut posted:

I bought one of these aromatherapy/essential oil carry cases recently, and it's just perfect for someone like me, who lives in a small apartment.

Now I've got my paints in this case, various tools and supplies in a tackle box, minis in a cookie tin (magnets, yo) and my brushes in my wet palette's storage compartment, everything is quick to get in and out of the storage closet. I've also grown quite attached to my little HobbyZone painting station, it keeps me from spilling stuff on my desk and keeps brushes and tools handy while I work, it's the best thing short of an actual permanent setup.

That’s a swell idea my friend!

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Booley posted:

Holy cow. :eyepop:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

moths posted:

I used to hate solid canopy windows, but painting a reflected Bob Ross landscape is rapidly becoming my favorite thing.

This needs more love. This is really amazing looking.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

JackMann posted:

Making some progress on my Catachan Colonel.

Crosspost from the 40k thread.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Booley posted:

I really like that tone of yellow. Is it ink or regular paint?

Zihuatanejo
Dec 17, 2013

Love the rust on this guy.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Finished up the first 5 weirdos for my Delaque gang.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Yeast posted:

Great blends, great faces.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Yeast posted:

Love 'em. I aspire to be able to blend that well. Or at all really...

Class Warcraft posted:

I use a narrow utility knife, with a thin extendable blade, rather than a fixed blade craft knife, because the blade is flexible and can easily be made to go flush with the base no matter how the model is posed/based, but yeah, thats the best way I've found. I would just remind you to cut downwards/away from yourself onto a cutting mat, and not directly into your goddamn hand*, and I tend to put a bit of kitchen towel under and in front of the miniature to catch it if it decides to go pinging off into the great beyond. Sometimes they do that.

*Very much the voice of painful experience talking here.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Does anybody know a good online shop in Europe (not UK) that sells Vallejo paints? My local shop doesn't stock the Metal line :(

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
doing a scheme i asked about on the warhammertv stream

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Furism posted:

I really like that tone of yellow. Is it ink or regular paint?

Regular paint. Vallejo model air medium yellow.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Yeast posted:

drat that green to black is terrific. Makes it look like they’re lit from underneath.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Yeast posted:

I'm just gonna say it: I'm getting distracted by the butt armor. :wink:

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Got some pictures for the Space Marine Heroes Nurgle Marine I picked up while I was in Japan last year. It was a load of fun to paint and I'm looking forward to doing another one.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Yeast posted:

This is awesome. I'm smelling the finish line on my first 4 Delaque gangers and this has me inspired to finish up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Refining my Vior'la scheme a bit more before going on to paint the rest of my start collecting box. I want the markings to look like they've been added after the fact by the owner, and not done at the factory where everything is made.

Someone mentioned that I should go back and add some darker shading into the white chipping on the red bits, which I'm planning on doing. Aside from that any other advice?