Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

gahahahah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I would never tell someone to stay at home for their safety even though I want everyone to stay home for their safety because I don’t know what anyone’s financial position is or if they’re reliant on an unsafe job for health insurance or what your roni risk factors are or whatever but maybe do the math on if your wife’s job would cover the potential medical costs if one or both of you got sick from her job.

I’m WFH but if my boss told me I had to come back and I didn’t feel safe I wouldn’t come back because I don’t make enough in a week to even cover the cost of walking into an ER much less any complications that could arise if I got the roni. My husband is also WFH but if his boss said he had to come into the office it’s a whole other discussion because we’re financially dependent on his salary.

it's unlikely they'd cover anything, and I carry the insurance benefits for us anyway through my union. She only makes like $14K/yr or something (lol @ American wages) so for us, the worst case is that she wouldn't be able to order as much random junk from Amazon/Zulily/etc

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
We still haven't seen any massive chud justice outbreaks after reopening, where every 20 and 30something bar patron falls over dead after a massive stroke or whatever this thread was predicting

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Crusader posted:

gahahahah

the use of the paired window panes to create a recurring caesura is genius

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

shovelbum posted:

We still haven't seen any massive chud justice outbreaks after reopening, where every 20 and 30something bar patron falls over dead after a massive stroke or whatever this thread was predicting

Like they are going to tell anyone they got Corona after talking about how it's fake.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i think ive mentioned caesurae on cspam like twice in the past month which is twice more than i remember mentioning them on the internet at all in the prev two years

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Crusader posted:

gahahahah

I don't think this person is a chud out there coughing on people

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

shovelbum posted:

you have to test or release data to see an outbreak

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

shovelbum posted:

Florida literally ordered counties to not release death numbers despite their 'sunshine laws.'

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Spoondick posted:

without knowing how often reinfections can occur herd immunity is a huge gamble, you could just end up with an endemic disease where people get reinfected every 6 months and your herd immunity ends up nothing more than herd culling

so win/win scenario

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I think if they develop an actual real and good vaccine for Corona we should be asking why there are no vaccines for other widespread viruses.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mr Hootington posted:

I think if they develop an actual real and good vaccine for Corona we should be asking why there are no vaccines for other widespread viruses.

I'm never trusting an American vaccine again after this holy poo poo

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/AnneMcCloyNews/status/1262058681895706627?s=20
https://twitter.com/AllOnMedicare/status/1262081548498751488?s=20

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
A rushed and unsuccessful vaccine would feed into the anti-vax conspiracies big time. I wouldn't be surprised that Trump's anitvax tweets before his Presidency still reflect in his mind. He could get it released but distributes it only to people that are sick.

If you trust this guy to actually get vaccines out and distributed to everyone then you don't know Trump.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

Which viruses are these that need a vaccine?

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Bernie Panders posted:

stylists should have gotten a real job that allows them to stay home and touch computers imo. glad to see the cops cracking down on their poo poo, how dare these females and immigrants put our boys in blue at risk

This but unironically. Disband the state Cosmetology board, let our manicurists free. Should not cost $20,000 to cut people’s fingernails for a living.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Nvm

Mr Ice Cream Glove has issued a correction as of 19:48 on May 17, 2020

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Someone post the MS paint "OH whaaaat how could this have happened" I've tried looking for it a number of times but always come up empty handed

tia

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
lol just heard about the reinfections on the USS Roosevelt

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

shovelbum posted:

Lol, you were the one who kept insisting we were gonna have 50 million dead and had to be talked off the ledge back in March.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

fosborb posted:

lol just heard about the reinfections on the USS Roosevelt

"Reinfections." But what are we up to now, 13?

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

I like how the US settled on exactly the opposite strategy that China did, basically do nothing when you know the virus is spreading, then do a half-assed lockdown, and then start covering things up and hiding cases and death counts

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

uninterrupted posted:

to deal w capacity issues there are plans to bounce signal through devices with good coverage to devices in bad coverage. hence why 5g is a big part of automation, devices can talk straight to each other if they’re within range.

which means you’re trusting other devices the same way you trust a cell tower right now (which is p much blind faith, that’s why stingrays are a thing).

now you might be saying “why even loving bother, I can stream tv on my phone just fine” which is what everyone else is saying. it’s getting pushed by governments to spy on people. the us isn’t claiming China is gonna use 5g to spy on us out of baseless racism, it’s projection and racism.

The government already knows everything since probably the last millennium. How much of an incremental gain would 5g really be?

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

poty posted:

its no blaring live and let die but it gets the point across i guess

https://twitter.com/JoshuaPotash/status/1261789548520132612

this form of protest is loving lame.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I mean is anyone arguing to reopen everything now not arguing that the goal is to infect 80% of everyone. I can see the argument is that we're way off on the lethality of the virus but is anyone arguing that we're not all getting it now?

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Flesh Forge posted:

At least one hundred babies born into Ukraine's surrogate motherhood business

:stare: im sorry WHAT?

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1261889191069339648

Turns out white people will pay white people to have white babies whitely, but as a pastime, not for real for real.

Asking my large adult child questions about the Coronavirus.

slippery doc posted:

A cashier at the store just now was wearing a mask but momentarily pulled it down so that she could cough into her hand :stare:

:crnasickos:

Too Many Birds posted:

i saw 3 separate employees wearing their masks under their chins, and a few more exposing their noses.

one of the guys wearing it under his chin was coughing while stocking shelves.

can't wait to die because people can't be loving bothered to be mildly inconvenienced.

It's funny and ironic because if you didn't need to go to the store, they wouldn't have to be :airquote: essential :airquote: and they're likely pissed at having to coddle spoiled boomers who don't wear masks and it's crab mentality, but they're rightly dragging dead weight into the abyss with them.

:hmbol: Camp David has a single hole and a driving range, you gotta make do in a pandemic :hmbol:

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Bip Roberts posted:

I mean is anyone arguing to reopen everything now not arguing that the goal is to infect 80% of everyone. I can see the argument is that we're way off on the lethality of the virus but is anyone arguing that we're not all getting it now?

Everyone is a loving armchair virologist now and thinks you're immune if you get it once which we absolutely do not know yet.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cowpocalypse posted:

america is the greatest country in the world, that's why so many of our people are dying - because we're all fat and sick :smugbert:
Great country, terrible people.

Radirot posted:

this form of protest is loving lame.
They all farted coronafarts at her.

Bernie Panders
Apr 27, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Man Musk posted:

This but unironically. Disband the state Cosmetology board, let our manicurists free. Should not cost $20,000 to cut people’s fingernails for a living.

talk to the folks cackling with glee as nail salon technicians can't feed their families since the democrats won't support them as they force them to stay inside

BeefThief posted:

I like how the US settled on exactly the opposite strategy that China did, basically do nothing when you know the virus is spreading, then do a half-assed lockdown, and then start covering things up and hiding cases and death counts

no the line is that california actually did an amazing, incredibly effective lockdown, which is why there's so few covid deaths there

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Bip Roberts posted:

No one at a government level in the US is arguing anything. There are no plans. Even the "good" states aren't talking about an actual response to this anymore, they're just discussing their "safe" roadmaps for reopening. This idea that the peak is in the past now so it's time to reopen isn't based on anything and it has nothing to do with the messaging before all of this started.

I'm beginning to think that a lot of economists legitimately did not understand the fragility of the economy, because it seems like the flaming wreck that we're in right now came as a total shock. Somehow people thought that you could disrupt the economy for a few weeks or months and just turn it back on everything would be fine, but welp. Everything that's happening right now is just total panic response. There are no plans or arguments.

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Everyone is a loving armchair virologist now and thinks you're immune if you get it once which we absolutely do not know yet.

It's more like everyone is still rolling with this idea that there are huge portions of the population that have already had it, despite every bit of evidence saying that basically no one has caught this yet and we're definitely looking at sub-10% infection rates. We're miles away from herd immunity being a thing.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Anyone know of a place to get masks from that is reputable and safe? Family friend made homemade masks for us at the beginning of this and they are starting to fall apart so looking for something a bit more durable.

Bernie Panders
Apr 27, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
the virus is incredibly infectious, which is why nobody has gotten it yet during lockdowns that have been both incredibly effective and unbelievably lackadaisical

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

MorrisBae posted:

OPERATION WARP SPEED

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Bernie Panders posted:

the virus is incredibly infectious, which is why nobody has gotten it yet during lockdowns that have been both incredibly effective and unbelievably lackadaisical

the virus is incredibly infectious and the lockdowns were effective which is why the most heavily affected areas peaked exactly when you'd expect based on when they locked down

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

but even lovely lockdowns are going to help a lot, the problem is that you have to stay locked the gently caress down or the whole thing is pointless

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Bernie Panders posted:

talk to the folks cackling with glee as nail salon technicians can't feed their families since the democrats won't support them as they force them to stay inside

That’s old nail salon big money and lawyers protecting their interests against immigrants and the young. New nail salon techs are crushed under the debt of student loans.

Bernie Panders
Apr 27, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

the virus is incredibly infectious and the lockdowns were effective which is why the most heavily affected areas peaked exactly when you'd expect based on when they locked down

that's weird because there's literally hundreds of pages of this thread talking about how nobody is respecting the lockdowns in the US

Paradoxish posted:

but even lovely lockdowns are going to help a lot, the problem is that you have to stay locked the gently caress down or the whole thing is pointless

stay locked down until... when? the democrats decide to cough up a few hundred extra bucks?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Zil posted:

Anyone know of a place to get masks from that is reputable and safe? Family friend made homemade masks for us at the beginning of this and they are starting to fall apart so looking for something a bit more durable.

You can get them pretty much anywhere online now. Amazon even has disposable ones for cheap. I bought some from a vendor called Sock Fancy that are pretty nice.

Star Phlatulence
Jan 14, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleak Gremlin

Bernie Panders posted:

this is a really confusing gimmick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

so happy they’ll do this for negligent nursing homes but leave health care workers completely open for liability