Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

lol @ android going through a back door to "as smooth as apple devices in 2010" ten years later simply because technology advanced enough to bulldoze through how poo poo it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

precisely. much like it is stupid to long for the days of writing business logic in ibm 360 assembler it is today stupid to long for doing pointer arithmetic in your fart app; it is demonstrably fine to climb an abstraction level.

android is all kinds of poo poo, but whining about "native code" not being front an center on a consumer device os in 2020 is stupid.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

precisely. much like it is stupid to long for the days of writing business logic in ibm 360 assembler it is today stupid to long for doing pointer arithmetic in your fart app; it is demonstrably fine to climb an abstraction level.

android is all kinds of poo poo, but whining about "native code" not being front an center on a consumer device os in 2020 is stupid.

these are different things. you don’t need to have a vm to write high level code, many languages can compile to native binaries.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Management posted:

these are different things. you don’t need to have a vm to write high level code, many languages can compile to native binaries.

sure, but starting too beef up the ndk poo poo at this juncture seems like an extra stupid thing to do. just invites doing really low-level crude things which are incredibly rarely a good idea on a phone. the performance history was really bad for a long time, but having been mostly sorted (mostly through aot granted) it is suddenly pretty nice to have a pretty good high-level ecosystem/platform as the baseline.

as always lots of things incredibly wrong about android, but i am pretty sure there would have been even more had they actually tried to maintain some entirely separate low-level c/c++ story as well.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

is this also the google thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERhyp_PQCOg

because loving lol stadia

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what makes the phone itself tactical, rather than just the case?

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

tactical battery reload

also it's a samsung so throw it at someone with a non-zero chance of it exploding.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

edc tactical android phone fits perfectly in my cargo jorts pocket

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

watching google and samsung try so, so loving hard to make android phones something other than a poor man's last resort has been an enduring source of lols

they've both spent billions on "flagship" devices that sell to approximately no customers, and android remains the phone for people who couldn't afford something better

just money poured into a void, an endless chase for prestige they will never attain

ah, the Dollar General of phones

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

SRQ posted:

it's still coming to pc, so what's the big deal?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

SRQ posted:

I want to lol @ stadia. is there a funny part of that video? I watched 3 painful minutes waiting for a pay off.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Samsung announces ruggedized Galaxy S20 Tactical Edition, with 'stealth mode' (lol it's airplane mode)

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Vomik posted:

I want to lol @ stadia. is there a funny part of that video? I watched 3 painful minutes waiting for a pay off.

serious sam is a timed exclusive on stadia instead of a console people actally own.

devolver digital better hope that the game is really well recieved and people still want to buy it after the exclusivity period, because otherwise they're not getting those launch sales back.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i'm going to guess that they are mostly hoping that googles check clears. between epic and google paying big bucks for exclusives and give-aways to wrest entry into the market i assume it was a pretty drat big pile of cash.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

tactilol edition

Apr 7, 2003

gotta respect that grift

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Wheany posted:

serious sam is a timed exclusive on stadia instead of a console people actally own.

devolver digital better hope that the game is really well recieved and people still want to buy it after the exclusivity period, because otherwise they're not getting those launch sales back.

i'm guessing the shipping container full of cash from google makes that irrelevant, like those indie games for which epic paid piles of cash for timed exclusivity ("we could cancel every preorder and still be rich"). gamers are manchildren with the memory of a goldfish, so you can kick them as much as you want because they'll forget about it as soon as you announce the sequel to some 30 year old game that they will jizz their pants over and buy no matter what in an effort to be transported back to their childhood

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Wheany posted:

the developers of serious sam (croteam) typically don't get their console ports out the door until a year after the pc release anyway, and as i understand it, stadia's server hardware that the games run on is effectively just an ubuntu pc rather than the more propietary, specialized systems on consoles. so i guess they figured they could wring a few more bucks and some attention out of the linux port they were already doing without much change to their schedule.

also, croteam's co-founder/cto left to work on stadia late last year, so odds are he helped form a lucrative* business relationship between his old and new buddies.

* well, lucrative-ish. google apparently aren't interested in paying much for exclusives.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i don't think there's a market for serious sam any more now that nudoom is a thing

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
wait, stadia runs games on linux? there are games on linux?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

i don't think there's a market for serious sam any more now that nudoom is a thing

while they're both modernizations of the same kind of old shooter they took pretty different approaches (e.g. nudoom with the tight resource-based gameplay loop and serious sam with the wave-based arena fights), if anything i think the time is pretty good for a back-to-basics serious sam game, now that nudoom has reintroduced the basic genre. not least the co-op is a big deal.

granted the last good serious sam game was serious sam 1, but otoh all the material so far released looks like a return to that style.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The Management posted:

wait, stadia runs games on linux? there are games on linux?
well, "runs" is a strong term

"walks" maybe

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

The_Franz posted:

gamers are manchildren with the memory of a goldfish, so you can kick them as much as you want because they'll forget about it as soon as you announce the sequel to some 30 year old game that they will jizz their pants over and buy no matter what in an effort to be transported back to their childhood
gamers are manchuldren but can be full of an enormous amount of spite and being kicked by preorders having to be refunded can actually be a significant problem

i preordered Phoenix point and canceled that when they said it wouldn't run on my operating system and then was epic store exclusive, then found out after release that the game is kinda crappy anyway so gently caress em it isn't even worth pirating

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

granted the last good serious sam game was serious sam 1, but otoh all the material so far released looks like a return to that style.

bfe had too many bad-dumb enemies.

Apr 7, 2003

No games chat

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Endless Mike posted:

what are you talking about? google phones sure, no one actually buys them, but samsung has outsold apple for years now. the s20 hasn't been a disappointment, but it also launched literally as the world was shutting down from pandemic, and the s10 outsold the s9 outsold the s8 etc. samsung flagships sell really well, they just don't make any money from them.

outselling the prior model that also didn't sell well isn't a great track record

samsung's core products are not top-end phones

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
hey let's quote the sarnsung newsroom thing i just googled

sarnsung posted:

Samsung’s smartphone shipments increased QoQ led by strong sales of the new Galaxy A Series, including the Galaxy A50 and A70. However, sales of flagship models fell QoQ on weak sales momentum for the Galaxy S10 and stagnant demand for premium products.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

why is it that the iphone SE 2020 is literally the fastest phone tied with the 11

I thought android used to hold the chocolate medal of having ~high specs~

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SRQ posted:

why is it that the iphone SE 2020 is literally the fastest phone tied with the 11

uh androids have never had the highest specs except in raw numbers which aren't terribly useful for even synthetic benchmarks, never mind actual use

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

it's NOT for WOMEN!!!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

SRQ posted:

androids have been getting stomped by four+ year old iphones in synthetic benchmarks since people started benchmarking them. no one but apple makes an even remotely good arm core

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

a fairly large part of the "how" is also just plain spending a good chunk more money on transistors. a case of getting what you pay for, at least partially.

i maintain that the top line socs from all relevant vendors is plenty fast though. i think apples exercise in this area is more about ipads and continued work on an arm macbook than it making any kind of sense in the iphone.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

a fairly large part of the "how" is also just plain spending a good chunk more money on transistors. a case of getting what you pay for, at least partially.

i maintain that the top line socs from all relevant vendors is plenty fast though. i think apples exercise in this area is more about ipads and continued work on an arm macbook than it making any kind of sense in the iphone.

Apple certainly pays more for their chips because they are relatively huge.

apple’s chip benefits in phones are
1) the chips can run at a lower frequency. dynamic leakage increases with the square of the frequency, so they get significant power savings for the same computation.
2) their massive caches mean less DDR access, which also saves power.
3) their chips finish the work faster and shut down. again, power. 95% of the time when you’re looking at your phone, the CPUs are actually fully shut down (power gated) and the cache is drained and powered off.

Apple is obsessive about power. they are operating at a level that’s far beyond what any android vendor does.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
sorry op I couldn't hear your post about apple's delicate power-sipping chips over the whir of the fan attached to my Republic of Gamers phone-rig

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

so the answer is that Apple is AMD in 2003 (and AMD now) smarter design vs "OUR ANDROID HAS EIGHT CORES AND 8GB OF RAM"

relatedly the whole low-clock quad core and high-clock dual core thing is a kind of mindblowing idea to see executed. Why Intel isn't doing this I have no idea.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

The Management posted:

1) the chips can run at a lower frequency. dynamic leakage increases with the square of the frequency, so they get significant power savings for the same computation.

dynamic power (in theory) scales with frequency linearly and voltage squared, but since you generally end up raising voltage to raise frequency I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up with power being proportional to frequency somewhere between squared and cubed over the full range of operating frequencies.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

DuckConference posted:

dynamic power (in theory) scales with frequency linearly and voltage squared, but since you generally end up raising voltage to raise frequency I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up with power being proportional to frequency somewhere between squared and cubed over the full range of operating frequencies.

I’m not an electrical engineer, i don’t know what I’m talking about. if it’s below the digital level i can pretend to follow but don’t ask me to explain it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
y'all could have bought Intel phones while you had the chance to disarm a monopoly :colbert: