Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

Same novel

It depresses me to realize they used villain instead of antagonist because not enough people would know what the latter means :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
What the gently caress is up with Q on that cover

I guess it's just shadow but he looks like Ebert after the surgery

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe
I'm more curious about the Jedi dueling on the top of the cover, myself.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

LifeGetsWorser posted:

I'm more curious about the Jedi dueling on the top of the cover, myself.

From my vague recollections nearly 20 years ago I think Picard and Trelane have a sword fight near the end. Don't recall them being lightsabers though

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Angry_Ed posted:

From my vague recollections nearly 20 years ago I think Picard and Trelane have a sword fight near the end. Don't recall them being lightsabers though

IIRC the swordfight gets more and more impossibly intense as reality breaks down and also Picard's sword is Q so there might well have been lightning and stuff.

That book was great read when I was 13, I do know that.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

IIRC the swordfight gets more and more impossibly intense as reality breaks down and also Picard's sword is Q so there might well have been lightning and stuff.

Oh yeah it was a fun read I just don't remember much outside of alternate universe shenanigans

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

MikeJF posted:

I remember Peter David was probably my favorite ST author as a kid, but my favorite book was Blaze of Glory, where they're chasing some pirate piloting a Constitution class ship with a cloaking device.

Edit: You know, books were probably the majority of my experience with Star Trek for a few years.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Angry_Ed posted:

MikeJF posted:

and also Picard's sword is Q
Happy Pride, everyone!

I wonder how overt the slash content would get in a lot of these novels. I remember reading the "Devil's Heart" TNG novel and the one where they go back to the Mirror Universe and Picard has a literary freakout because he starts reading some of their literature and sees that things didn't just change last week. I also recall the Klingons hear that in that universe, Klingons are dead or enthralled by the Terran Empire, and decide to do something about it.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Roadie posted:

This book is great. I highly recommend it for anyone who likes TNG even a little.

That one episode with Crusher stuck in the pocket universe feels similar to me, because when she says 'something seems wrong with universe' the response of the senior staff isn't 'don't be weird', it's 'okay, everybody power up the scanners and look for things that are wrong with the universe'.

and then geordi's mom's death is treated as a "bro you gotta move on. starships dont just have really weird poo poo happen to them"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nessus posted:

Happy Pride, everyone!

I wonder how overt the slash content would get in a lot of these novels. I remember reading the "Devil's Heart" TNG novel and the one where they go back to the Mirror Universe and Picard has a literary freakout because he starts reading some of their literature and sees that things didn't just change last week. I also recall the Klingons hear that in that universe, Klingons are dead or enthralled by the Terran Empire, and decide to do something about it.

I remember one where Riker fucks some hot cyborg pirate or something while undercover and then has to have a wrestle to the death with her because SHE HAS POISON NEEDLES IN HER HANDS

this was very significant to me as like an eight year old

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

MikeJF posted:

Same novel

I have the audiobook of this read by John de Lancie. The unabridged version not the short one on audible.

It’s great, especially when it goes off the rails and all the timelines start to merge. It has been a while but here are some high points; the Yesterday’s Enterprise timeline Riker tries to kill normal Worf, a timeline where Jack Crusher lives and Wesley dies, Jack Crusher goes insane and kills Beverly and then blows his head off with a phaser (after Trelane shows him Picard loving Bev), when the timelines get separated two Datas (one has a human body) are left on the same Enterprise so one universe is short a Data, the other is with Tasha Yar, when Q is banished by Trelane in the galactic barrier he slips a little of his power to Gary, and Trelane is Q’s son. Q had an affair with Trelane’s mother and it would have been a scandal so they hid it from the continuum.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think my favorite Peter David novel is Vendetta. The idea that the planet killer that Kirk encountered was a prototype anti-borg weapon works really well (it was to eat dead worlds that the Borg left behind). We also go an assimilated Ferengi because he thought he could negotiate a deal with the Borg.

There's also a nice bit of AI in there as well as the opening of the novel has a planetwide defense system surrender to the Borg because it recognized it as superior life to the people that built it.

It was published with a disclaimer about accuracy because it had a female borg in it and it was the position of the studio at the time that there were no female borg.

Bonus, they tried to use the warp bubble from remember me as a weapon against the Borg.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

bull3964 posted:

It was published with a disclaimer about accuracy because it had a female borg in it and it was the position of the studio at the time that there were no female borg.
What? They said that? That's stupid.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Man, they would go on a hard reverse of that policy just a few years later.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Nessus posted:

What? They said that? That's stupid.

Yup.

quote:

The novel was subject to a dispute between Peter David and Richard Arnold, who wished the Borg character Reannon to be removed, with the logic that Borg could not be female. This was prior to a regular female Borg character, Seven of Nine, appearing in Star Trek: Voyager. Because of this, the novel was printed with a disclaimer making it explicitly apocryphal.

I guess they hadn't realized the possibilities of a catsuit yet.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
There's no female Borg because there's no gender in the hivemind, silly! Seven is only a woman after she gets freed. I explained it all here in my 400 paragraph Female Borg Lore essay.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It might have been an artifact of confusion: for a long time it seemed like the Borg reproduced, and assimilating individuals was a rare thing. And borg were described as being genderless by Q, so they might've thought borg as a species didn't have gender to start with.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MikeJF posted:

It might have been an artifact of confusion: for a long time it seemed like the Borg reproduced, and assimilating individuals was a rare thing. And borg were described as being genderless by Q, so they might've thought borg as a species didn't have gender to start with.
A bunch of things from 'Q Who' regarding the Borg get retconned later so I can see that if that novel was done between Q Who and BOBW it could have been an issue

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It was after BOBW. It takes place mid season 4.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

curiousTerminal posted:

There's no female Borg because there's no gender in the hivemind, silly! Seven is only a woman after she gets freed. I explained it all here in my 400 paragraph Female Borg Lore essay.

Maybe in 1996. Nowadays this would be four-hour YouTube video of a neckbeard in a computer chair.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
I've been watching Star Trek Lore videos on youtube and these people are loving *depressing* since they're trying to stitch together continuity and have it make sense from people who proudly didn't give the slightest gently caress about continuity.

Seeing a 30+ year old man try to explain why every Klingon ship looks completely different in discovery in-lore only to go back again ten years later is just...why bother? Why loving bother?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I've been watching Star Trek Lore videos on youtube and these people are loving *depressing* since they're trying to stitch together continuity and have it make sense from people who proudly didn't give the slightest gently caress about continuity.

Seeing a 30+ year old man try to explain why every Klingon ship looks completely different in discovery in-lore only to go back again ten years later is just...why bother? Why loving bother?

star trek canon is only fun to integrate to the extent it helps tell a more compelling story, or to draw super funny conclusions.

davidspackage posted:

After DS9 established that Cardassians flirt by acting irritated and yelling, it put that TNG scene where Jellico antagonizes them in the negotiations in a new light.

I imagine those three Cardassians coming out of the room, wide-eyed, sweating and breathing hard, and one of them turns to the others and says "what the gently caress was that"

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lol wasnt' there an exchange between Riker and Troi after one of the sessions where Riker says "wow at least he knows what he's doing" and she says "no. he doesn't."

feel like this interpretation puts a new layer to her response there as well.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

bull3964 posted:

It was after BOBW. It takes place mid season 4.

But you can see female Borg in BoBW! :psyduck:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Roadie posted:

This book is great. I highly recommend it for anyone who likes TNG even a little.

That one episode with Crusher stuck in the pocket universe feels similar to me, because when she says 'something seems wrong with universe' the response of the senior staff isn't 'don't be weird', it's 'okay, everybody power up the scanners and look for things that are wrong with the universe'.

The low-key horror of that episode is fanastic.

"Computer, define the universe"
"The universe is a sphere, approximately 12 km across"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

There's a couple channels I like because they're nicely self-effacing and don't take it too seriously. Going on and on about lore is the worst if you don't stop and take a minute to recognize how ridiculous it all is. Junkball Media in particular is good if you feel so inclined, he's got a great sense of humor.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Is that ST TMP x Megaman Battle Network?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah, it was from a podcast that had two entirely unrelated and seperate recorded segments about each, but someone made that the cover art for that episode

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm sure there's tons of TOS lit that's invalidated by later stuff, but are there any TNG/DS9 novels that are worth reading because of how different they are than what actually ended up happening on the shows?

Some of the very early Star Wars stuff is extremely entertaining - Splinter of the Mind's Eye was originally written as a low-budget sequel to A New Hope in case it cratered (the author wasn't allowed to use Han Solo because Harrison Ford hadn't signed on for a sequel yet), and the original Han Solo Adventures trilogy was a bunch of silly space pirate pulp fiction, it ruled.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I'm sure there's tons of TOS lit that's invalidated by later stuff, but are there any TNG/DS9 novels that are worth reading because of how different they are than what actually ended up happening on the shows?

There was an early TNG novel that laid out a lot of backstory for Tasha Yar and her crapsack home planet, which of course ended up being completely different from what the show established later. I must have read it in high school, I'm trying to remember the title.

e: Found it, it's called Survivors. Published in January 1989, which means Season 2 had only just started airing.
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Survivors

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 3, 2020

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

and then geordi's mom's death is treated as a "bro you gotta move on. starships dont just have really weird poo poo happen to them"

TBF they are supportive at first and only get to that point once pretty much every reasonable alternative has been ruled out and Geordi's very clearly grasping at straws.

e: They are also trying to protect him from an unstable new technology which could very well kill him.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Powered Descent posted:

There was an early TNG novel that laid out a lot of backstory for Tasha Yar and her crapsack home planet, which of course ended up being completely different from what the show established later. I must have read it in high school, I'm trying to remember the title.

e: Found it, it's called Survivors. Published in January 1989, which means Season 2 had only just started airing.
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Survivors

Now that you mention it, I remember reading Metamorphosis, which was a direct sequel to "Measure of a Man" and made a bunch of references to events in that Survivors book (which confused me because I never read it). It was about space magic turning Data human. Had a real unusual fairy tale sort of tone if I recall correctly.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I know the TNG edits are old news, but I saw some today that I'd never seen before and I'm cracking the hell up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sya2boJv-BU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhhb3tpOyzE

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

But you can see female Borg in BoBW! :psyduck:
To be fair this might have been about the gender of the Borg as an overmind; an individual drone might have sex organ A or sex organ B but ultimately that drone is Borg.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Specifically, the book had a B plot with a former drone that they recovered from a planet following a cube's destruction. That drone was a human woman freighter captain assimilated 13 years ago. They tried re-integrating her into society, but it didn't go well.

https://memory-beta.fandom.com/wiki/Reannon_Bonaventure

It was this character that Richard Arnold (technical consultant for TNG and vetted licensed tie ins to the shot) objected to being female.

What's funny is he objected to the gender rather than the concept of her being assimilated. Up until that point, it was still pretty much canon that Locutus was a special example, that the Borg were their own species raised from young, and that they were only concerned with consuming technology. But he insisted that the character should be removed because she was a woman rather than her being a random individual that the Borg (to that point) would have ignored.

The book had another assimilation in it as well, a Ferengi, and he didn't have an objection to that. Though, in the book, it was presented again as having another spokesperson for the collective.

But Reannon Bonaventure's backstory is really similar to Seven's parents (just a freighter instead of science) and the idea that Borg would assimilate a species they may not have have encountered before (biological distinctiveness) is a concept that was introduced here before it was canon in the series.

It just had a much more tragic end. They basically presented it that 13 years of being in the collective had atrophied an individual's free will to the point where they were basically a vegetable. They did keep the idea of wanting to rejoin the collective with Seven though.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

This one is still the best

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

skasion posted:

This one is still the best

Nah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rYMykaNW6s

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

So, uh, watching DS9 "Past Tense" for the first time...

I'm sure glad we aren't living in an authoritarian 2020s with police violently cracking down on protesters during an economic and social crisis, good thing that was all a good bit of science fiction.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

There are a lot of great edits (I especially love the series about Data's art) but this will always be my favorite:

https://youtu.be/wyKq7Aax-hI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
hey I've got some label paper I was wondering if anybody had any good resources for high quality LCARS label pngs or something