Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Maybe she just meant they weren't big on construction :hopefulface:

I watched a star trek convention appearance with a huge cast, and she was pretty obnoxious - drunk, loud and full of her own importance. If memory serves, she ended up becoming the self styled host and it was pretty cringe. I hope it was just the booze.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
'Matilda murders Counselor Troi' was not a thing I expected to happen, even in 2020.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

Which Tory donor is getting a giant bung to build this giant bung?

BAE Systems Maritime is the obvious one, but they're going to be busy for the foreseeable building RN frigates.

Harland & Wolff in Belfast has just been saved from liquidation and is touting for work - it could go to them if Johnson actually wants to seem like he gives a poo poo about NI now he doesn't need its MPs in parliament.

It would be interesting to see if any of the folks behind Pendennis Yachts in Falmouth have Conservative connections.

Cammell Laird in Birkenhead (builders of the RRS Boaty McBoatface Sir David Attenborough) could build it, but are also fairly busy with commercial and RFA work.

If it happens it will probably be managed by a special Royal Yacht Delivery Synergistic Partnership Ltd. (like the aircraft carriers were) which will be a high-capacity cash siphon made up of BAES, Babcock, Rolls-Royce, Raytheon, LockMart, Thales and all the other lovely elements of the MIC, with a management board stuffed with Tory MPs and/or their families and each part would be built in one of a dozen sites for maximum pork-barrelling.

Thing is, in principle I have no issue with their being a Royal/National Yacht. It could be a good bit of public spending and job creation, a pump-primer for the British shipbuilding industry which always needs high-value orders and the overall cost is tiny in the grand scheme of things, especially given that there is no National Credit Card and the government could spend however much it wants. And if they're serious about Global Britain then it would probably pay for itself many times over in dodgy arms deals and exploitative trade agreements.

But - I'll be damned if I'm going to support the idea of spunking £100millions of public money at a time when there are much more pressing, visceral and human issues at hand right now that could be greatly alleviated for less money, especially when the Tories will shortly be telling us that the Crisis Needs To Be Paid For. Public workers don't have 45p face masks but we can build a yacht for royals and politicians to ponce/nonce their way around the world in? gently caress off!

A Royal Yacht is the sort of thing a country pays for when it doesn't have rampant poverty, a housing crisis, a massive homelessness problem, a developing economic collapse and a looming environmental catastrophe to sort out first.

And as for it being a 'morale boost' - loving LOL.

This government manage to make even the ideas that are nice in isolation utterly repulsive.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The only way my morale will be improved by a new Royal Yacht is if we taxpayers all get a time share of it. I bagsy 2 weeks next July.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

BalloonFish posted:

And as for it being a 'morale boost' - loving LOL.

I wonder if Boris is still on for that Celebration of Britain planned in 2 years time.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

forkboy84 posted:

The only way my morale will be improved by a new Royal Yacht is if we taxpayers all get a time share of it. I bagsy 2 weeks next July.

You're welcome to it I'll stay off the gammon-infested plague ship tyvm

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My morale would be improved if all the royals and tories decided to do a maiden voyage and it hit an iceberg and sunk.

Granted by the time they finish it they might have to go quite a long way to find one but yknow.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Guavanaut posted:

gently caress me.

And IIRC, that's only a few articles straight from google - probably loads more since '97.

It's the symbol of the thing - the denial. I feel that's a part of it. Hense the desperate attempts to justify splashing out on it. Suprised they haven't dropped the facade of pretending to give a poo poo and not blow a load of tax payer money on it.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

I was kinda thinking that. Years ago when I lived on the coast I volunteered on the SS Shieldhall, which was built in the 1950s by the City of Glasgow Corporation to carry treated sewage out into the Firth of Clyde and dump it (ah, the good ol' days!) The Corporation also hosted day-trippers on the ship - see the scenery of the Clyde and sea lochs on the way out, gather in the (well-sealed) saloon for tea and cakes while the 'cargo' was dumped, then cruise back as the sun set.

Because it was a Corporation-owned boat, it was also available for free to other council services such as schools, residential homes, hospitals, children's homes and so on to take their charges on a day cruise. And it could be chartered for day-trips at ridiculously low (and heavily subsidised, since it was making the voyages anyway) prices by local voluntary organisations, trade unions, clubs and societies, works outings and the like.

I was thinking that if the hypothetical Royal Yacht was available for things of that nature that would be much more palatable. But of course that would interfere with its primary role, wouldn't help it 'pay it's way' and which groups get access to it and when would be a massive shitstorm.

Plus, if you really wanted to do that you could just build half a dozen excursion cruisers, designed for maximum accessibility, and station them at port cities around the country and run them as a public service. All for a fraction of the cost of a Royal Yacht and with much better availability. But that would be an undeniable social good with no clear way of extracting profit and therefore is unthinkable communism.

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 4, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Madelaine McCann chat:

I knew Cummings would be implicated ;)

https://twitter.com/stavvers/status/1268639694293815299?s=20

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
Quote isn't edit, goddammit...

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 4, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

BalloonFish posted:

I was kinda thinking that. Years ago when I lived on the coast I volunteered on the SS Shieldhall, which was built in the 1950s by the City of Glasgow Corporation to carry treated sewage out into the Firth of Clyde and dump it (ah, the good ol' days!) The Corporation also hosted day-trippers on the ship - see the scenery of the Clyde and sea lochs on the way out, gather in the (well-sealed) saloon for tea and cakes while the 'cargo' was dumped, then cruise back as the sun set.

Because it was a Corporation-owned boat, it was also available for free to other council services such as residential homes, hospitals, children's homes and so on to take their charges on a day cruise. And it could be chartered for day-trips at ridiculously low (and heavily subsidised, since it was making the voyages anyway) prices by local voluntary organisations, trade unions, clubs and societies, works outings and the like.

I was thinking that if the hypothetical Royal Yacht was available for things of that nature that would be much more palatable. But of course that would interfere with its primary role, wouldn't help it 'pay it's way' and which groups get access to it and when would be a massive shitstorm.

Plus, if you really wanted to do that you could just build half a dozen excursion cruisers, designed for maximum accessibility, and station them at port cities around the country and run them as a public service. All for a fraction of the cost of a Royal Yacht and with much better availability. But that would be an undeniable social good with no clear way of extracting profit and therefore is unthinkable communism.
You could put the tories and royals in the big tank.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I think it would be much more appropriate if we just "kept the dumping human effluent into the sea"-bit and we can start with prince andrew

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could also build houses for people to live in, for free. If you can make a thing that keeps the water out from the bottom you can make a thing that keeps the water out from the top, IMO.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Steamboat chat has reminded me that I originally planned to go on The Danny at some point this summer, I bet that's off.

e: yup, first thing on the page

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
https://twitter.com/edzitron/status/1268232028387856385

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The whole thread is very good in case anyone else hasn't seen it.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Build the yacht, put Andrew on board, then kick him overboard the moment it gets to international waters.

Then kick everyone else overboard as well.

Maxwell the gently caress out of 'em.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

kingturnip posted:

Build the yacht, put Andrew on board, then kick him overboard the moment it gets to international waters.

Then kick everyone else overboard as well.

Maxwell the gently caress out of 'em.

Don't build the yacht at all, just build a guillotine.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Guavanaut posted:

Steamboat chat has reminded me that I originally planned to go on The Danny at some point this summer, I bet that's off.

e: yup, first thing on the page

lol I've driven past this boat a bunch when people have somehow managed to smash into each other on the incredibly long straight bit of the m56 again

I've never really thought of the weaver as particularly picturesque but presumably it goes upstream rather than down under the motorway towards the marshes and massive chemical plants

e: although there's also the massive ex-ICI site a bit further up in Northwich, although that's probably pretty interesting to boat past

XMNN fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 4, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's a working steamboat which is pretty cool.

I think they do a couple of cruises, to the Anderton Boat Lift or to Merseyside and then you can spend a while in Liverpool before heading back, but they've removed all the cruise information as far as I can see.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

sassassin posted:

We played good football and were "everyone's second team", once upon a time.

pretty sure every single team in the league has made this claim at one point or another, with the possible exception of Man U

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I just hope that this German chap turns out to have taken Maddie so her parents can finally get some closure by being banged up for child abuse and negligence.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Ms Sirtis is properly a devout Hegelian, it seems

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The last thing the last atomic motion in the universe will describe is a nanoscale vibration which asks, in morse code, if immigrants might have kidnapped are maddie to do a ritual that devalues the pound.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
NHS test-and-trace system 'not fully operational until September'

wow that's a funny way of spelling June

it's almost amazing how completely they've hosed this up at every level

although obviously that's not entirely accidental

quote:

It comes as a leaked email from the chief executive of Serco – one of the main companies contracted to deliver the service – revealed how he doubted the scheme would evolve smoothly but said he wanted it to “cement the position of the private sector” in the NHS supply chain. 

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/tezilyas/status/1268674567398133760?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Not sure I entirely get this video but interesting anyway:

https://twitter.com/vantaeotsvn/status/1268388477672005634?s=20

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

OwlFancier posted:

You could also build houses for people to live in, for free. If you can make a thing that keeps the water out from the bottom you can make a thing that keeps the water out from the top, IMO.

You know what those houses say to me? Hovis :)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They've been in boro for yonks, I always thought they were weird upside down boat houses when I was a kid. Not sure where the roofline design comes from or why they decided to build them. Never seen it anywhere else outside of like, american barns.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

What was the original tweet, it's been deleted

:lol: When you body someone and immediately get bodied yourself

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Yep:

Part of me just wants to build the thing, and immediately watch it sink beneath the waves. Or instantly tugged away for scrap.

Build it, put all the Tory MPs and royals on it for a celebratory maiden voyage, then nuclear loving torpedo the thing.

I'd pay £120m to see that.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuXzvjBYW8A

I really do appreciate this video. Guy's a Tory, so I'm no going to agree with all of the conclusions, but the analysis seems sound.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 5, 2020

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

If you want an identity then get on your bike and build it yourself, like everyone who wasn't an Anglo cishet guy had to do here.

I'm not sure there is a positive white, Anglo, cishet masculinity, and that might be part of the problem. All those identities are built on oppressing the poo poo out of other people and entitlement, from more classic "all fight the jolly old fight" stuff that public schools indoctrinate kids into, to lad culture, to football culture, to white nerd culture. It all loving sucks because it's all built on an ethos of competition and subjugation of the other side, or social inferiors.

What white masculinity needs is burning the hell down, and I say that as a white male.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Ms Adequate posted:

What was the original tweet, it's been deleted

It was one of Lin manuel Miranda's good morning tweets, that he does every morning, with some vague good-feels platitudes in it.

IDK why Sirtis is taking exception to it to be honest.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Purple Prince posted:

I'm not sure there is a positive white, Anglo, cishet masculinity, and that might be part of the problem. All those identities are built on oppressing the poo poo out of other people and entitlement, from more classic "all fight the jolly old fight" stuff that public schools indoctrinate kids into, to lad culture, to football culture, to white nerd culture. It all loving sucks because it's all built on an ethos of competition and subjugation of the other side, or social inferiors.

What white masculinity needs is burning the hell down, and I say that as a white male.

I think the Atticus Finch type of person is a reasonably positive model. I’m not sure dominance games are a uniquely western thing though; they are a big part of mainstream Chinese, Japanese and Korean masculinity too, at least.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Purple Prince posted:

It is, and it's not the only one (see TERFs and ^^^ re: Han chauvinism), thus my worry about that's how you get Nazis. At best you'd get some kind of EDL/DFLA march in the absence of some strong guiding principles.

It just made me think yesterday, mostly due to a virtual meeting (there's some project management types that loving love Maslow's hierarchy and yet I suspect would collapse into a ball of hughgrant rage if you'd asked them in 2012 how the country could afford the Olympics but not housing). Like water is pretty essential to me, and I get it through paying a highly regressive tax (but still not as bad as metering) in the form of the rates, but that's not even paid to the government, it's paid to a private company, worse, a private monopoly, for the profit of their directors and shareholders. If I were a millionaire I could buy enough Severn Trent shares that my water rates get paid off by the dividend, but I'm not so I can't. And yet if I were to suggest that the local water be publicly owned by the councils of the region that it serves, or better yet that residential water be free of charge like in Northern Ireland, you'd get a bunch of people going off about 'something for nothing'.

And yet these are the exact same people who have had their sense of connection, strength, freedom, and status needs provided for free by the state in the form of Troopings of Colour, field gun competitions, speeches Queen, Spitfire and Vulcan flypasts, and big loving boats since their childhood, and the never seem to see that and only ever notice when someone else builds something similar for themselves like a Pride march or a Caribbean carnival or a BLM protest and then it's 'where's my...'.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

thespaceinvader posted:

It was one of Lin manuel Miranda's good morning tweets, that he does every morning, with some vague good-feels platitudes in it.

IDK why Sirtis is taking exception to it to be honest.

Must be one of those episodes where her empath powers are taken over by a being of pure psychic energy that's super aggressive for some reason

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

sinky posted:

'Matilda murders Counselor Troi'

B-plot: Data's cat dies and he decides to explore grief

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer