Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

McSpanky posted:

"When we came up against subspace interference that disabled energy weapons, we spent months and hundreds of man-hours developing a compact magnetic accelerator for an inert composite-metallic projectile, targeted by the most sophisticated tactical assistance programs ever developed and fitted with state-of-the-art inertial dampers to negate recoil by 47%.

When the Klingons were faced with the same problem, they used swords."

ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

SlothfulCobra posted:

The Klingons as we see them in TNG have kinda gone through a societal collapse since the days of TOS, and their politics now revolve around aristocracy and dueling, so everybody with any rank is busy fighting or boasting. I think TOS portrays Klingons as internally meritocratic so that bureaucrats could just be part of their society.

I assume there are still Klingon paper pushers and scientists just like how there are still Klingon lawyers, but they're all in subservient positions as part of some aristocrat's house, which conversely means a big fancy important Klingon like Gowron is going to have a sort of learned helplessness when it comes to accounting.

Of course, while it's an obvious assumption that Klingons must have some kind of lower class stratum from how they're ruled by noble houses, most Star Trek likes to play it both ways so that they're all somehow upper class nobility, and like noble households only include immediate family members instead of having some array of servants or support staff.

Makes me wonder if its the same situation with Meiji Japan - where Samurai were frequently not actually warriors, but did the accounting and legal bullshit and other stuff, since the shogunate aggressively kept everyone on the verge of bankrupty meaning that if you were an employed samurai it was because you had skills that had nothing to do with swords. So maybe many of these Klingon "warriors" employed by a house have secondary tasks?

McSpanky posted:

"When we came up against subspace interference that disabled energy weapons, we spent months and hundreds of man-hours developing a compact magnetic accelerator for an inert composite-metallic projectile, targeted by the most sophisticated tactical assistance programs ever developed and fitted with state-of-the-art inertial dampers to negate recoil by 97%.

When the Klingons were faced with the same problem, they used swords."

Qapla' batlh je.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Worf is perhaps a poor person to model Klingon behavior on, seeing as he has more of a weeabo's approach to Klingon life, but is it not possible that, like him, Klingons take the art of combat, and everything related to being a warrior quite seriously? While science and law might not might not make you a warrior we have examples of Klingons doing pretty well even in these non-related fields, so I don't see why warship operations should be dumbed down any.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
They are warriors and Quickbooks is their enemy.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I thought TOS Klingons were originally basically Roddenberry's take on Korean-war era Chinese or something, due to terrible pronunciation of "CHING-ons" in some of the early poo poo and their obvious yellow face makeup and mustaches.

Early Romulans were supposed to be Soviets, as shown by the obvious submarine movie plot that is Balance of Terror.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I always thought it was the reverse

The main reason being that the Romulans have not had any outside contact in a long time, and the Chinese did not really have official contact with the US until Nixon

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think they're just Space Mongols.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Neither of them is a straight up allegorical replacement for Russia nor for China. It would be more accurate to say that they provide a mirror of Russia or China’s contemporary geopolitical roles by providing aggressive, authoritarian nationalist antagonism to our pluralist and freedom-loving heroes, and refer to various historical authoritarian empires (the Soviets are actually cited in the show for any cheap seat who didn’t get it, but the big reference for the Romulans is obviously Rome) to inform this image.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The Klingons mainly became Russia in Star Trek 6, but until then they seemed more Mongolian or generally "eastern" I guess.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Worf is a Klingon fundamentalist, constantly opining for some older, mythical age where Klingons were REAL Klingons. Part of that is because he learned everything about Klingon culture from afar and he used "klingon instincts" as an excuse for his personal aggression issues, but I think also a lot about TNG klingons was established in that first klingon episode where a couple of klingon fundamentalists attempt to hijack the enterprise but stick to some abstruse rules of honor while doing so. I think the Kahless cloners have a similar line of thought, they hate political complexity and would rather klingons make their decisions based on faith rather than pragmatism.

When we see "proper" klingons, they're a whole lot more chill about the formality of aggression, and it's more posturing to maintain dominance. I feel like they're more in the habit of constantly threatening to duel than they are to actually risk their own life fighting over something. They also party a bunch while Worf is prone to sulking about dishonor and decadence.

And probably the writers themselves are of multiple minds about klingons, because some of them want to treat klingons as having complex motivations and others want to just go all in on the purebred spartan warrior race angle.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

jeeves posted:

I thought TOS Klingons were originally basically Roddenberry's take on Korean-war era Chinese or something, due to terrible pronunciation of "CHING-ons" in some of the early poo poo and their obvious yellow face makeup and mustaches.

Early Romulans were supposed to be Soviets, as shown by the obvious submarine movie plot that is Balance of Terror.

Balance of Terror is the same plot as this submarine movie with German and American subs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Enemy_Below

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

SlothfulCobra posted:

Worf is a Klingon fundamentalist, constantly opining for some older, mythical age where Klingons were REAL Klingons. Part of that is because he learned everything about Klingon culture from afar and he used "klingon instincts" as an excuse for his personal aggression issues, but I think also a lot about TNG klingons was established in that first klingon episode where a couple of klingon fundamentalists attempt to hijack the enterprise but stick to some abstruse rules of honor while doing so. I think the Kahless cloners have a similar line of thought, they hate political complexity and would rather klingons make their decisions based on faith rather than pragmatism.

When we see "proper" klingons, they're a whole lot more chill about the formality of aggression, and it's more posturing to maintain dominance. I feel like they're more in the habit of constantly threatening to duel than they are to actually risk their own life fighting over something. They also party a bunch while Worf is prone to sulking about dishonor and decadence.

And probably the writers themselves are of multiple minds about klingons, because some of them want to treat klingons as having complex motivations and others want to just go all in on the purebred spartan warrior race angle.

The episode where Worf is trying to convince the Klingons to have a civil war properly as both sides drink and party and wrestle after each day on a neutral ground is great comedy. Tony Todd should've gotten an emmy.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

The episode where Worf is trying to convince the Klingons to have a civil war properly as both sides drink and party and wrestle after each day on a neutral ground is great comedy. Tony Todd should've gotten an emmy.

How in the flying ferengi gently caress did I only just now realise that was Tony Todd?! Jesus Christ...

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Dog_Meat posted:

How in the flying ferengi gently caress did I only just now realise that was Tony Todd?! Jesus Christ...

I didn't catch him in the Orville. People aren't easy to recognize in a shitload of makeup.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
He's also Old Jake Sisko in The Visitor.

Tony Todd owns

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I didn't catch him in the Orville. People aren't easy to recognize in a shitload of makeup.

Oh for... :doh:

<face blindness intensifies>

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Dog_Meat posted:

Oh for... :doh:

<face blindness intensifies>
Come on man, there aren't even any closeups of him in the Orville episode, it's a wide shot from 10 feet away and he just sits there and goes "women bad" and "we'll quit the federation if women aren't considered bad."

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Laterite posted:

Tony Todd owns

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
T-own-y Todd

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I want an episode of amnesiac Tony Todd having just got his law degree and clerking for Ron Canada

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

I'm more of a TOS guy gal:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Imzadi :stwoon:

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

adhuin posted:

I'm more of a TOS guy gal:

https://twitter.com/WilliamShatner/status/1272705262806355968

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I find that especially creepy since his daughter runs that account

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Come on man, there aren't even any closeups of him in the Orville episode, it's a wide shot from 10 feet away and he just sits there and goes "women bad" and "we'll quit the federation if women aren't considered bad."

If you can't recognize his voice then you can't recognize his most distinctive trait. He's also in Half-Life Alyx.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Arglebargle III posted:

If you can't recognize his voice then you can't recognize his most distinctive trait. He's also in Half-Life Alyx.

I'm looking forward to playing that when they ship my index in 2089.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I saw this and had no choice but to get it:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Me looking at that image of the wrong enterprise.

https://youtu.be/xzfRBl1m4Jw

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ugh, microbrewerys are too in love with the taste of hops. Not everything has to be an IPA! :argh:

Anyway,

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8MkYdtU61Y

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Good stuff, but left out my favorite little bit of the Picard theme.

It's the part where it dives from G to A with a little flourish. It's hard to describe... one sec.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI90Z-PWXUk

About :31-:33 in this video. It makes my brain tingle.

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 17, 2020

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Chickened out on Faith of the Heart. :rolleyes:

(But seriously, that's really neat! Thanks for sharing.)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

Good stuff, but left out my favorite little bit of the Picard theme.

It's the part where it dives from G to A with a little flourish. It's hard to describe... one sec.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI90Z-PWXUk

About :31-:33 in this video. It makes my brain tingle.

I hear it :hf:

e: actually considering how the season itself turned out I'd say the Picard theme song was one of the best parts of the show

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 17, 2020

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Man “The Dauphin” is a really mixed episode. It’s generally better than the synopsis would make me think, but Wesley turning Salia away once he’s seen one of her other forms is really gross. I’m not sure if the ending makes me feel better about it or not.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah real mixed bag of an ep

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

This "chess room" is pretty much only used for sex, and it connects both of their bathrooms together.

I wish I was kidding. And the fanfiction story is of course extremely and objectively terrible, so this guy loses some cred.

Drone fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jun 17, 2020

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Arivia posted:

Man “The Dauphin” is a really mixed episode. It’s generally better than the synopsis would make me think, but Wesley turning Salia away once he’s seen one of her other forms is really gross. I’m not sure if the ending makes me feel better about it or not.

I don't think Wesley was supposed to be the good guy there. It would have been more positive for him to say "I accept you no matter what!" :haw: but his reaction as a teenager who might not know better was realistic, especially for the time. It also made you think and realize it was a bad reaction, which was the point.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How come on the camel toe planet Wesley got in trouble for falling on the flowers but the dipshit who threw a ball directly at the flowers in the forbidden grass zone didn't face any consequences whatsoever. If Wesley had heard them yelling for him to stop and done so that guy would be loving dead. Federation wouldn't have intervened. His ball would have hit those flowers directly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Maybe it wasn't a violation for your ball to go there. You're just supposed to wait for the authorized ball retrieval guy to come get it or something.