Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

mewse posted:

God necro sucks
I agree completely, but it's also really strong damage wise and they keep making season mechanics that make necro 10x stronger and barely impact many other classes.

Ehp and essence mechanics are my bigger gripe about necro than lotd specifically. Lotd is more like a symptom than the core problem. Necro does insane damage with just simul up, but you can get trivially one shot or run into no essence situations. In comes lotd to make the class playable.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Khorne posted:

I agree completely, but it's also really strong damage wise and they keep making season mechanics that make necro 10x stronger and barely impact many other classes.

Ehp and essence mechanics are my bigger gripe about necro than lotd specifically. Lotd is more like a symptom than the core problem. Necro does insane damage with just simul up, but you can get trivially one shot or run into no essence situations. In comes lotd to make the class playable.

I read your post like 3 times before I realized you were talking about suiciding your char to accelerate the cooldown on LOTD. Such obviously unintentional gameplay, while on-brand for the necro, made me kneejerk on how stupid the class design is. They should just buckle to what Nomak wants and make it a pet class.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I seem to remember goons saying that Necro was stupid powerful when it came out, and instead of turning it down, Blizzard just turned the other classes up. Necro is now the worst class, and Blizzard seems determined to keep it that way.

Talk about playing the long game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Necro isn't really the "worst" class in terms of performance, in fact they've arguably been the strongest in high-level group GR for their entire run. They're just the most finicky and limited.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

They're fun to level to 70 but outside of that I don't really like them. Haven't tried the new set or LoD CE build though. I hear they can finally be tanky/take >1 hit.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
The only time I ever really had fun with Necro is basically right when it first came out, and that Command Skeleton set + scythe/weapon combo was one of their strongest builds. Now that build is a loving joke and you gotta do this weird corpse explosion blood poo poo.

mewse
May 2, 2006

So I spent like 10 minutes trying to find the end date on the blizzard news page and had to come back to this thread to find it - I guess the new d3 community person is just announcing poo poo on twitter now? That's cool

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

mewse posted:

So I spent like 10 minutes trying to find the end date on the blizzard news page and had to come back to this thread to find it - I guess the new d3 community person is just announcing poo poo on twitter now? That's cool

You guys all have phones Twitter, right?

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

mewse posted:

There's a sticky on their forums too, but a front page announcement would be nice.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

KenBearlLOLOL posted:

Here's a short explanation of the build over PTR video of a 3-man GR145 where LOD Corpse Explosion was the only DPS. Obviously Raxx has a ton of paragons but even without them it should still be a reasonable secondary choice in 4-man as trash clearer if you don't want to run a WD, and I've seen other videos with Corpse Explosion in speeds/solos.

Thanks. I ran WD this season so looking for a change.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM
Thanks for helping out in this monster season, goons. I came back after years away from the game and blew way past anything I thought I'd be able to do.

WD, wiz, barb, and monk all made the solo leaderboards, with top 250 barb, top 125 wiz, and top 100 WD.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

KenBearlLOLOL posted:

Thanks for helping out in this monster season, goons. I came back after years away from the game and blew way past anything I thought I'd be able to do.

WD, wiz, barb, and monk all made the solo leaderboards, with top 250 barb, top 125 wiz, and top 100 WD.

jeebus. What was your paragon total at the end?

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
2778 after turning in the 135 clear with a little over an hour left in the season. I'm pretty sure GTJustin was the only goon that beat my paragons this season.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Christ I need to run with goons from now on. Is there a clan I should join?

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006

Huge_Midget posted:

Christ I need to run with goons from now on. Is there a clan I should join?

There's both a community and a clan named LLJK. I'm trying to add active goons to the clan, and we've got a smallish core of people that are building for 4-player xp runs and push runs in the community and the Discord.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
Link to the discord

https://discord.gg/YBk5dXX

I'll put up another invite closer to the start of s21. The final patch notes haven't been released yet, assuming nothing significant changes metas are pretty flexible this season. Each class has a role outside of wizard.

Rats/LoD necro mages should be able to run 2-3 min g105-110s? (Zbarb, znec, 2 dps LoD necro mages)

DH metas - zbarb, zDH, GoD DH, 2nd GoD DH or znec g115-125?

LoD CE necro runs 120+ - LoD CE necro, zbarb, zmonk? Rgk - DH, sader

Meta 130+ looking like zbarbs, zmonk, trash clearer (WD, LoD CE necro) and rgk (sader, impale DH)

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
Add LoD Grim Scythe necro to the meta trash clearer list too.

mewse
May 2, 2006

S21 on July 3

https://us.diablo3.com/en/blog/23428368

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Ugh. A major holiday weekend (:911:) is pretty poor timing. And nothing changed to the sets, just bug fixes to the seasonal buff. Seems strange it took this long to fix. I was hoping it would have started this weekend or the 2nd weekend in July but it figures. :( I'll have my Switch but cell phone internet (at best) where I'm going to be. Bummer.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Portrait and pet are very... steampunk.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

S21's Season Journey replaces S20's Warm Thoughts (Kill Izual at level 70 in under 15 seconds on Torment XIII difficulty) with Lose Yourself (Kill the Skeleton King at level 70 in under 30 seconds on Torment XIII difficulty).

S21's Conquests keep S20's Curses!/Stars Align (Defeat 350+ Cursed Chest Spawns at L70 TX+), and then adds:
Sprinter/Speed Racer: Complete the entire campaign from Act I to Act V at level 70 in under 1 hour
Avarice/Avaritia: Complete a 50 Million Gold streak outside of The Vault or its Inner Sanctum
Thrill/Superhuman: Complete GR 45 Solo and without any Set items equipped
Speed Demon/Need For Speed: Beat a TX NRift at Level 70 in 2 minutes

S21's sets are:
Barbarian - Might Of The Earth
Crusader - Thorns Of The Invoker
Demon Hunter - The Shadow's Mantle
Monk - Monkey King's Garb
Witch Doctor - Raiment Of The Jade Harvester
Wizard - Firebird's Finery
Necromancer - Grace Of Inarius

I think I'll start with Demon Hunter this season, since I started with Barbarian for the last two*, but I will farm up another Whirlrend set because I plan on doing Curses!, Thrill, and Speed Demon for my Conquests, and Curses! is a cakewalk with a couple Whirlrends.

*Leapquake is pretty fun, and I might decide to do it over Impale at the last second...

mewse
May 2, 2006

Kheldarn posted:

S21's Season Journey replaces S20's Warm Thoughts (Kill Izual at level 70 in under 15 seconds on Torment XIII difficulty) with Lose Yourself (Kill the Skeleton King at level 70 in under 30 seconds on Torment XIII difficulty).

S21's Conquests keep S20's Curses!/Stars Align (Defeat 350+ Cursed Chest Spawns at L70 TX+), and then adds:
Sprinter/Speed Racer: Complete the entire campaign from Act I to Act V at level 70 in under 1 hour
Avarice/Avaritia: Complete a 50 Million Gold streak outside of The Vault or its Inner Sanctum
Thrill/Superhuman: Complete GR 45 Solo and without any Set items equipped
Speed Demon/Need For Speed: Beat a TX NRift at Level 70 in 2 minutes

S21's sets are:
Barbarian - Might Of The Earth
Crusader - Thorns Of The Invoker
Demon Hunter - The Shadow's Mantle
Monk - Monkey King's Garb
Witch Doctor - Raiment Of The Jade Harvester
Wizard - Firebird's Finery
Necromancer - Grace Of Inarius

I think I'll start with Demon Hunter this season, since I started with Barbarian for the last two*, but I will farm up another Whirlrend set because I plan on doing Curses!, Thrill, and Speed Demon for my Conquests, and Curses! is a cakewalk with a couple Whirlrends.

*Leapquake is pretty fun, and I might decide to do it over Impale at the last second...

Curses is easy. Avarice is easy. The Thrill is a gimme with the LoD gem

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Oh HELL YEAH I get a Lazy bones freefarm season hell yeah baby

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

mewse posted:

Lose yourself is a joke and easier than trying to find one of the good cursed chests

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Vomik posted:

Lose yourself is a joke and easier than trying to find one of the good cursed chests

Lose Yourself isn't a Conquest, though.

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005
Haven't played necro in a long time, thinking of doing it this season. Are the lazy necro builds strong enough to clear t16 quickly?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Kheldarn posted:

Lose Yourself isn't a Conquest, though.

Oh whoops misread that

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

Speed demon, the thrill and avarice are easy peasy with a DH. No need to reroll unless you really want to.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

Will Styles posted:

Haven't played necro in a long time, thinking of doing it this season. Are the lazy necro builds strong enough to clear t16 quickly?

Blizzard made legacy of dreams gem a guaranteed drop in your second GR, so you're better off gearing straight for LoD mages instead of messing around with a necro set if you want to get to t16 quick.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Word is LOD Poison Scythe is Best Necro for S21...

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006

Kheldarn posted:

Word is LOD Poison Scythe is Best Necro for S21...

For high GR solo or 4p meta groups, absolutely. For anything you want to move fast for, LOD rat is still going to be better.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I've never played impale DH - maybe this season is the season.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

mewse posted:

You might get Speed Demon by accident if you run enough 4 player rifts. That's usually how I get the 3 minute season journey step anyway.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I haven't played in about a year, there are new sets right? Are any of them starter sets this season?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I think with this update every class now has a new set, but the seasonal sets are unlikely to ever change from the normal cycle.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

FFT posted:

I think with this update every class now has a new set, but the seasonal sets are unlikely to ever change from the normal cycle.

you would've thought that's a good way to get people to try the new sets :v:

Are DH Impale sets quick at farming stuff up? I remember starting a season with DH Multishot and I could just farm whatever I felt like

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I could see them getting added to the rotation at some point after this season, but the rotation cycle did just restart with this season.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

you would've thought that's a good way to get people to try the new sets :v:

Are DH Impale sets quick at farming stuff up? I remember starting a season with DH Multishot and I could just farm whatever I felt like

Impale is crazy fast to get you farming t16/75+. DH is in a really good spot this season for solo/casual/group/meta play.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Reminding ppl of the discord due to recent events

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

GTJustin posted:

Impale is crazy fast to get you farming t16/75+. DH is in a really good spot this season for solo/casual/group/meta play.

How capable is impale of clearing 110s "comfortably"? Say, 6-7 minute runs?