Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

PerniciousKnid posted:

It's also the worst episode because it reveals that it never matters what happens in any episode, because actually everything happens and we're just watching one particular random combination of outcomes.

I've got some bad news for you about the nature of the universe (maybe).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

CPColin posted:

I don't care if my own life lacks dramatic tension.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gully Foyle posted:

Yeah, the way the show handles Quark is pretty off-putting sometimes. There are multiple times its either directly stated (as in Profit and Lace) or implied that he routinely pressures or forces his female employees into sex, and it's never treated with more than a 'Hmmph' from Odo or whatever, and it's all forgotten by the next time.
The oomox poo poo is hosed up. I suspect they were trying to aim for a "this is super sexy to Ferengi but meaningless to most species" thing, but, you know, you're still coercing someone into giving you sexual satisfaction.

It would be interesting in an abstract way to track who were the main writers for the episodes where Quark coerces it from people.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Nessus posted:

The oomox poo poo is hosed up. I suspect they were trying to aim for a "this is super sexy to Ferengi but meaningless to most species" thing, but, you know, you're still coercing someone into giving you sexual satisfaction.

It would be interesting in an abstract way to track who were the main writers for the episodes where Quark coerces it from people.

It's maybe comparable to a foot fetish, like if Quark convinced all his dabo girls to let him massage their feet. It's non-sexual to most people, but obvs the Ferengi get off to it. Thinking about it that way it's kinda hosed up/gross.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Mike the TV posted:

It's maybe comparable to a foot fetish, like if Quark convinced all his dabo girls to let him massage their feet. It's non-sexual to most people, but obvs the Ferengi get off to it. Thinking about it that way it's kinda hosed up/gross.

Sounds like Matt Groening

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Gully Foyle posted:

Future Imperfect. Such a good half-episode before the double-twist kind of fizzles it out.

This would probably be in the top tier of episodes if it really was a Romulan plot all along.

Speaking of mindfuck episodes the amnesia one (Tabula Rasa?) is pretty good for that too. There's just this new guy on the bridge and with everything going on you think maybe this guy is just a random crewman but then (iirc) the computer says he's first officer and you're like what the gently caress?

Of course it never really was a question because TNG just didn't do random crewmen in speaking roles but that's a problem with a lot of episodic shows.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Humerus posted:

This would probably be in the top tier of episodes if it really was a Romulan plot all along.

Speaking of mindfuck episodes the amnesia one (Tabula Rasa?) is pretty good for that too. There's just this new guy on the bridge and with everything going on you think maybe this guy is just a random crewman but then (iirc) the computer says he's first officer and you're like what the gently caress?

Of course it never really was a question because TNG just didn't do random crewmen in speaking roles but that's a problem with a lot of episodic shows.

Because TNG has the worst titles this one was called "Conundrum", something that could apply to basically any episode of any show. And yeah, it was cool how they did that. They managed to keep you going just long enough before they had to really kick that character's part of the plot into gear. And it wasn't totally weird to have a random person on the bridge because they usually do it at least a little.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Sir Lemming posted:

Because TNG has the worst titles this one was called "Conundrum", something that could apply to basically any episode of any show. And yeah, it was cool how they did that. They managed to keep you going just long enough before they had to really kick that character's part of the plot into gear. And it wasn't totally weird to have a random person on the bridge because they usually do it at least a little.

I've brought shame upon my house. I think the Buffy amnesia episode was called Tabla Rasa maybe?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Literally every show has had an episode called Tabla Rasa.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

CPColin posted:

The universe is a spheroid region 705 meters in diameter. :colbert:

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Maaaaan... DS9 is very good and surprisingly progressive (Dax essentially being a trans pansexual character; Lots of criminal justice critiques), but it's really weird that Sisko has sex with someone under false pretenses which the show itself calls out as rape and we straight up skipped the episode when Quark becomes a lady and didn't recall it started with Quark trying to pressure an employee into sex.

There's also the whole thing with the Prophets and Sisko's mother that never really gets addressed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

More TOS-

By Any Other Name- This episode has some promise at the beginning but it never really goes anywhere. There is tension at the beginning when the Kelvans take over, but other than killing the one Yeoman they never seem especially threatening. Episode ends very abruptly with Kirk convincing the Kelvan leader to just go back to the planet from the beginning and live there. There’s a long sequence where Scotty drinks one of the Kelvans under the table but it’s just for comic relief. I didn’t realize until now that one specific joke in this episode is referenced in the TNG episode ‘Relics’.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

It's interesting how the more advanced LCARS panels on Voyager using CRT screens now look cheaper than the purely static ones that were more common on TNG. The curve of the screens and the difference between the screens showing animated content and the backlit static panels really stand out.

I'd love to see a set like TNG bridge or engineering built with modern tech, you could do that entire Engineering master display using an 80" flatscreen.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jun 22, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I always liked the bits in TNG when they did have dynamic content on the big panels, because doing it with FX instead of inset CRTs means they could do it properly and do stuff like just throw up a fullscreen image instead of just all peering down at a tiny little section of the screen.

Of course with Voyager later on they got around it by just introducing the Astrometrics lab and using that viewer whenever they needed to look at anything that wasn't for the main viewscreen.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jun 22, 2020

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

feedmyleg posted:

Tabula Rasa. :eng101: It means "clean slate."

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That's what I get for copy pasting

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Senor Tron posted:

It's interesting how the more advanced LCARS panels on Voyager using CRT screens now look cheaper than the purely static ones that were more common on TNG. The curve of the screens and the difference between the screens showing animated content and the backlit static panels really stand out.

I'd love to see a set like TNG bridge or engineering built with modern tech, you could do that entire Engineering master display using an 80" flatscreen.

Nothing will ever look as bad as the TNG movies that used the early 2000s LCDs for LCARS panels though. I'll take the CRT ones over that any day.

At least when Enterprise did it, it kinda works as a retro thing now.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nullsmack posted:

Nothing will ever look as bad as the TNG movies that used the early 2000s LCDs for LCARS panels though. I'll take the CRT ones over that any day.

At least when Enterprise did it, it kinda works as a retro thing now.

Don't forget Nemesis when they were like 'gently caress it, just print some stickers and put them around the LCD'

there's even, like, closeups of people tapping the sticker 'buttons', if i recall. Like, I think they had pasted-on bits like that in the other movies but it was always background, but in nemesis they didn't bother to disguise them or try to make it look natural.

Nemesis was just :effort: from everyone involved.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 22, 2020

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

8one6 posted:

Star Trek Voyager, season 2, episode 14 "Alliances"
Time index: 37ish minutes into the episode.

Where the gently caress is the clapping and fanfare coming from?

I had to look this up and this is the best quality video I can find on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uM2aot_vl8
wtf?

It's not on the Netflix versions or in my DVDs but it is in the Amazon Prime version. Super weird.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nullsmack posted:

wtf?

It's not on the Netflix versions or in my DVDs but it is in the Amazon Prime version. Super weird.

that is so horrible

I watched "Contagion" last night, that was a pretty good episode. Lots of fun action. I appreciated Toronto City Hall as a mysterious alien planet.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Nullsmack posted:

wtf?

Alexa, set entrance music to trumpet fanfare. Kazon life signs only. Disable both mute and disable functions.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Humerus posted:

I've brought shame upon my house. I think the Buffy amnesia episode was called Tabla Rasa maybe?

That was the best Buffy episode

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Nullsmack posted:

wtf?

It sounds like the fanfare from a Super Mario Party game.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Honestly mindblowing Trek never has.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Are you saying that a fan webseries doesn't count??

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

That was the best Buffy episode

Willow was gaslighting/manipulating her gf (really bad sexual assault implications here) and did it so hard she ended up gaslighting everyone

The best Buffy episode is Once More With Feeling or the one with Evil Xander except he was actually just competent Xander which was a funny ending

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MikeJF posted:

Don't forget Nemesis when they were like 'gently caress it, just print some stickers and put them around the LCD'

there's even, like, closeups of people tapping the sticker 'buttons', if i recall. Like, I think they had pasted-on bits like that in the other movies but it was always background, but in nemesis they didn't bother to disguise them or try to make it look natural.

Nemesis also brought us the craptastic tricorder that was literally just a shell around a Palm Pilot.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
omg, you can see the edge of the stickers in the flip up part.

also the scan is sideways on the screen...

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

VOY S3 e2 Flashback
This isn't a bad episode and isn't the worst idea for a franchise anniversary tribute, but compared to Trials and Tribblations that came out from DS9 its really kind of sad.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Gully Foyle posted:

Yeah, the way the show handles Quark is pretty off-putting sometimes. There are multiple times its either directly stated (as in Profit and Lace) or implied that he routinely pressures or forces his female employees into sex, and it's never treated with more than a 'Hmmph' from Odo or whatever, and it's all forgotten by the next time.

I think my favourite type of Star Trek episode is when there's something weird going on with space/time/reality etc (so things like Schisms, Parallels, Phantasms, Cause and Effect, Timescape, The Next Phase, etc). TNG does the creepy, light horror thing pretty well usually. Parallels is excellent at that.
I loved when you see Data mid-way through the episode and something just seems off, and then it hits "wait, why does he have blue eyes" just before the episode starts to really kick off. And the ending is so good -
"At this rate, the sector will be completely filled with Enterprises within three days."
"Captain, we're receiving 285,000 hails."

And of course crazy beard Riker.

Agreed. My guilty tng pleasure is frame of mind.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Humerus posted:

Willow was gaslighting/manipulating her gf (really bad sexual assault implications here) and did it so hard she ended up gaslighting everyone

The best Buffy episode is Once More With Feeling or the one with Evil Xander except he was actually just competent Xander which was a funny ending

Musical episodes enjoy a special category adjacent to and above "best episode". Buffy happens to have a particularly high-quality example.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

Musical episodes enjoy a special category adjacent to and above "best episode". Buffy happens to have a particularly high-quality example.

Also in that category: muppet episodes. (Okay, really just the angel one)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 22, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Nullsmack posted:

omg, you can see the edge of the stickers in the flip up part.

also the scan is sideways on the screen...

I don't think anybody predicted that auto-flip would be a feature in all devices in the future.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Vreenak: Well, Benjamin, I made it- despite your directions.

Captain Sisko: Ah. Senator Vreenak. Welcome. - I hope you're prepared for an unforgettable negotiation

Vreenak: Yeah.

Captain Sisko: Oh, egads! My evidence is ruined. But what if I were to fabricate evidence of a Dominion attack and disguise it as legitimate intelligence? Delightfully devilish, Benjamin.

Singers: Ah- Emissary with his crazy explanations The senator's gonna need his meditation When he hears Emissary's lame exaggerations There'll be trouble in town tonight!

Vreenak: Benjamin!

Captain Sisko: Senator, I was just- uh, just sparring with Grathon Tolar. Isometric exercise. Care to join me?

Vreenak: Why are there simulated images coming out of your holodeck, Benjamin?

Captain Sisko: Uh- Oh. That isn't a simulation. It's leaked plans. The leak is from the Dominion plans we're viewing. Mmm. Leaked plans

(5 minutes later)

Whew. Senator, I hope you're ready for some secure data

Vreenak: I thought we were viewing leaked plans

Captain Sisko: D'oh, no. I said steamed Cardassians. That's what I call this secure data rod.

Vreenak: You call this secure data rod steamed Cardassians?

Captain Sisko: Yes. It's a regional dialect.

Vreenak: Uh-huh. Uh, what region?

Captain Sisko: Uh, Xindi.

Vreenak: Really. Well, I was ambassador to reptilian Xindi planet, and I've never heard anyone use the phrase "steamed Cardassians."

Captain Sisko: Oh, not on reptilian Xindi planet. No. It's an avian xindi expression.

Vreenak: I see. You know, these Cardassians are quite similar to the characters in the popular Cardassia prime holosuite program

Captain Sisko: Oh, no. Certified Dominion officers. Old family rivalry.

Vreenak: For steamed Cardassians.

Captain Sisko: Yes.

Vreenak: Yes. And you call them steamed Cardassians despite the fact that they are obviously largely in agreement with minor petty bickering

Captain Sisko: Ye- You know, the- One thing I should- - Excuse me for one second.

Vreenak: Of course.

Captain Sisko: (yawn) Oh well, that was wonderful. A good time was had by all. I'm pooped.

Vreenak: Yes. I should be- Good Lord! What is happening in there?

Captain Sisko: Talosian illusion

Vreenak: Uh- Talosian illusion of a Cardassian spy tampering with my shuttle, at this time of year at this time of day in this part of the quadrant, localized entirely within your docking bay?

Vreenak: May I see it?

Captain Sisko: No.

Dax: Benjamin! There's a bomb detected in shuttle bay four!

Captain Sisko: No, old man. It's just a Talosian illusion.

Vreenak: Well, Benjamin, you are an odd fellow but I must say, ITS A FAAAAAAKE.

Dax: Help! Help!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Bahahaha! This contest is over! Give that man the 10,000 quatloos!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I forgot that Catspaw a)existed and b)probably only existed as a way for Roddenberry to hawk replicas of the little metal Enterprise the witch has.

Also :laffo: at the wig they put Koenig in for this one

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

MikeJF posted:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Vreenak: Well, Benjamin, I made it- despite your directions.

Captain Sisko: Ah. Senator Vreenak. Welcome. - I hope you're prepared for an unforgettable negotiation

Vreenak: Yeah.

Captain Sisko: Oh, egads! My evidence is ruined. But what if I were to fabricate evidence of a Dominion attack and disguise it as legitimate intelligence? Delightfully devilish, Benjamin.

Singers: Ah- Emissary with his crazy explanations The senator's gonna need his meditation When he hears Emissary's lame exaggerations There'll be trouble in town tonight!

Vreenak: Benjamin!

Captain Sisko: Senator, I was just- uh, just sparring with Grathon Tolar. Isometric exercise. Care to join me?

Vreenak: Why are there simulated images coming out of your holodeck, Benjamin?

Captain Sisko: Uh- Oh. That isn't a simulation. It's leaked plans. The leak is from the Dominion plans we're viewing. Mmm. Leaked plans

(5 minutes later)

Whew. Senator, I hope you're ready for some secure data

Vreenak: I thought we were viewing leaked plans

Captain Sisko: D'oh, no. I said steamed Cardassians. That's what I call this secure data rod.

Vreenak: You call this secure data rod steamed Cardassians?

Captain Sisko: Yes. It's a regional dialect.

Vreenak: Uh-huh. Uh, what region?

Captain Sisko: Uh, Xindi.

Vreenak: Really. Well, I was ambassador to reptilian Xindi planet, and I've never heard anyone use the phrase "steamed Cardassians."

Captain Sisko: Oh, not on reptilian Xindi planet. No. It's an avian xindi expression.

Vreenak: I see. You know, these Cardassians are quite similar to the characters in the popular Cardassia prime holosuite program

Captain Sisko: Oh, no. Certified Dominion officers. Old family rivalry.

Vreenak: For steamed Cardassians.

Vreenak: Yes. And you call them steamed Cardassians despite the fact that they are obviously largely in agreement with minor petty bickering

Captain Sisko: Ye- You know, the- One thing I should- - Excuse me for one second.

Vreenak: Of course.

Captain Sisko: (yawn) Oh well, that was wonderful. A good time was had by all. I'm pooped.

Vreenak: Yes. I should be- Good Lord! What is happening in there?

Captain Sisko: Talosian illusion

Vreenak: Uh- Talosian illusion of a Cardassian spy tampering with my shuttle, at this time of year at this time of day in this part of the quadrant, localized entirely within your docking bay?

Vreenak: May I see it?

Captain Sisko: No.

Dax: Benjamin! There's a bomb detected in shuttle bay four!

Captain Sisko: No, old man. It's just a Talosian illusion.

Vreenak: Well, Benjamin, you are an odd fellow but I must say, ITS A FAAAAAAKE.

Dax: Help! Help!

Well, my avatar pretty much sums up my reaction to reading this.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Nullsmack posted:

wtf?

That's amazing. I want sound effects like that in every episode of every Trek.

Applause when a guest star enters a room, audience groans whenever Data tells a joke, Kramer entering a room hooting and hollering whenever someone says "Captain on the bridge".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Folks, it seems that these forums are owned by a domestic abuser and I feel a certain responsibility to share that with this sub-set of TV Land. While this is important information I do apologize if it is another unpleasant eruption of 2020. You can find out more at https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980 along with a bunch of corny jokes.

It has been a pleasure to post with all of you even when it was white-noise posting, and if this place keeps on existing in some form, I hope we all will stay in touch. I also hope that Discovery gets good and Lower Decks isn't bad.

This link is for a certain image of long renown which is not safe for viewing or posting at work. It has been made readily available by Klingon tradition. May it bring glory to you and your house. :nws: https://i.imgur.com/1BufxSP.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqe-mr_zBdg